• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eric Bolling Plans to Sue Reporter for defamation over Harassment Story

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
After that amicus brief the ACLU did for John Oliver last week, they should do another one here, assuming that the harassment allegations have been confirmed.

antonz

I don't see how this would work. The story had dozens of sources.

He is going after the journalist personally because that's how you prevent Huffington Post from paying his expenses etc. He wants to punish the reporter with legal cost burden

Syriel

giphy.gif

He is going after the journalist personally because that's how you prevent Huffington Post from paying his expenses etc. He wants to punish the reporter with legal cost burden

Presumably HP would cover his costs as a sign that this sort of stuff doesn't work?

Shauni

How does that prevent them from doing that? Is there some kind of law in regards to this.

cameron

Just received a summons. Eric Bolling is suing me for defamation - $50 million in damages. I stand by my reporting + will protect my sources

— Yashar Ali‏ (@yashar) Aug 9, 2017

People have been kind enough to offer financial support etc - not necessary. Instead please donate to @pressfreedom https://cpj20023.thankyou4caring.org

— Yashar Ali‏ (@yashar) Aug 9, 2017

Eric Boiling is a brazen deluded clown.

Jombie

These scuzzy conservative pundits sue over everything. I doubt it will go anywhere, Fox didn't suspend him over just an article.

Link

The Autumn Wind
The gall of anyone from Fox News suing for defamation of character. Get fucked, you piece of human shit.

IceMarker

I feel bad for any innocents who works for Fox News under these clowns. Hopefully Yashar and the rest of the free press will continue to stand strong in the face of these lunatics.

GuyKazama

I don't see how this would work. The story had dozens of sources.

Anonymous sources and no evidence is the basis for the article. It damaged his career and unless they produce something or if they find out it wasn’t from him, then Bolling has a strong case.

Syriel

HuffPost editor is saying they will defend him in court.

https://twitter.com/lpolgreen/status/895433826742149120

For a reporter, this is actually an opportunity.

If Bolling is stupid enough to file, guess what becomes subject to discovery and subpoena?

Any personnel records (including prior complaints and action/non-action) that Fox has regarding him. Which also opens up Fox's actions (current and prior) to scrutiny.

Unless a court redacts the record, anything filed becomes public record.

The HuffPost would LOVE to have access to all that to report on.

I guarantee that there is an exec (or three) at Fox swearing at Bolling right about now.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This will Streisand effect up a couple more victims I imagine.

That's a Boll'd strategy Cotton...

Armaros

Anonymous sources and no evidence is the basis for the article. It damaged his career and unless they produce something or if they find out it wasn't from him, then Bolling has a strong case.

That sure stopped Deep Throat reporters. And Nixon also hid behind national security rational as well to stop them.

Siegcram

Anonymous sources and no evidence is the basis for the article. It damaged his career and unless they produce something or if they find out it wasn’t from him, then Bolling has a strong case.
If he had a strong case, he'd sue HuffPo for ten times the amount.

Briarios

Really? You're serious with that? Fox News pulled him because they have no evidence, right? No -- most likely, they knew before ... the reason people go to the press is because when they go through proper channels and nothing happens, it's the final resort. I guarantee you, there are executives that knew about this well before the story came out.

Soon, if he lets this go to court, we'll all know what they knew ...

gatti-man

Papers don't publish stories like this without monumental proof. That's the whole point of following real news as opposed to BS blogs and tiny websites. Huffpost, NY time etc all have reputations and financial backing.

DogDude

Papers don't publish stories like this without monumental proof. That's the whole point of following real news as opposed to BS blogs and tiny websites. Huffpost, NY time etc all have reputations and financial backing.
The Huffington Post has a reputation for being terrible

Dude Abides

Banned
These shitbags always make a big public show of threatening to sue and then don't do it because they'll lose. Trump did it too back during the campaign and the NYT lawyer wrote back that scathing letter to Trump's lawyer. I guess their idiot fans eat it up and never question why there was no follow through.

Gattsu25

Banned
I'm pretty sure that he can only win if he can prove that the reporter knowingly lied. So he won't win.
The idea isn't always to win. Sometimes just bankrupting your opponent through years of expensive legal costs is the goal.

Silencing people who are in the verge of speaking out, by publicly draining the finances of someone else, can also be a goal (see: the recent John Oliver episode on the coal baron for an example of this)

I wonder if Thiel is backing Bolling.

This was my first thought. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if he stuck his nose into this.

I'm worried about this as well. Seems like something right out of Thiel's playbook.

That doesn't make much sense here. Bolling has way more to lose if this actually goes to discovery. It was likely him trying to throw his weight around, but he didn't expect the paper to back Yashar

The idea isn't always to win. Sometimes just bankrupting your opponent through years of expensive legal costs is the goal.

Silencing people who are in the verge of speaking out, by publicly draining the finances of someone else, can also be a goal (see: the recent John Oliver episode on the coal baron for an example of this)

Paper's got deep pockets and Bolling has deep secrets

True, my post was more just showing that one poster claiming the guy could actually win was wrong.

Gattsu25

Banned
That doesn't make much sense here. Bolling has way more to lose if this actually goes to discovery. It was likely him trying to throw his weight around, but he didn't expect the paper to back Yashar

Paper's got deep pockets and Bolling has deep secrets
Yeah, he probably wasn't expecting HuffPo to join on.

Wilsongt

Release the dick pics!

I am sure that is what he is worried about. Doesn't want the world to know that he's probably not working with much.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah, he probably wasn't expecting HuffPo to join on.

I mean, I would say nobody in their right mind wouldn't expect HuffPo to pay costs of defense in this case (because its the literal price of journalistic integrity), but they filed the suit anyways, so I don't know what they possibly could have been thinking. I mean, I'm a lawyer, but don't handle cases anywhere near this high-profile and I would have considered it a foregone conclusion HP would pay the costs of defense if not indemnify.

Wallach

These shitbags always make a big public show of threatening to sue and then don't do it because they'll lose. Trump did it too back during the campaign and the NYT lawyer wrote back that scathing letter to Trump's lawyer. I guess their idiot fans eat it up and never question why there was no follow through.

pretty much, standard fuckboy strats, he'll fuck off when reality threatens to backhand

Top Bottom