• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESEA Season 13 LAN Finals: 4/19 to 4/21 - Counter-Strike (GO + 1.6), Team Fortress 2

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member

Results and VODs

What is ESEA and what is this event?

ESEA (E-Sports Entertainment Association) is a competitive gaming organization that hosts leagues for multiple PC games - mostly team FPSes. Teams in ESEA-Invite, the highest skill division in a league, play their games’ finals at a biannual LAN in Dallas, TX. This season’s prize pot for the event is the largest yet at ~$89,000.

What games are being played?

• Counter-Strike: Global Offensive - NA and EU Invite
  • Counter-Strike 1.6 - NA Invite
  • Team Fortress 2 - NA Invite

When is this happening?

Friday, April 19 to Sunday, April 21

How do I watch?

There will be 3 different streams: Green for CSGO | Blue for CSGO/1.6 | Orange for TF2

i3clWFw5msQLs.jpg

i7BJoJdITwvZA.jpg

>> MATCH SCHEDULE + BRACKETS

Who’s playing? What about the format?

Info on the qualifying teams, details about the tournament, and match formats for each game are below.

COUNTER-STRIKE: GLOBAL OFFENSIVE

This is the inaugural season of ESEA’s global CSGO league. The top seeds from both the North American and European divisions will be playing at LAN.

>> COVERAGE:

>> TEAMS (ordered by seeding):
- North American -
1. Quantic Gaming
2. Team Curse
3. Team Dynamic
4. Denial E-Sports (formerly FLAMING)

- European -
1. Ninjas In Pyjamas
2. Team VeryGames
3. VirtusPRO (unable to attend due to visa issues)
4. nfaculty
5. ESC-ICY BOX

>> FORMAT

5v5 / Best 2-out-of-3 Maps / Double-elimination bracket with seeds determined by regular season record and the results of the NA vs EU all-star match.​

COUNTER-STRIKE 1.6

1.6 has been a featured game since ESEA first started but S13 will be its final season with an Invite division.

>> FORMAT

5v5 / Best 2-out-of-3 Maps / Double-elimination bracket with seeds determined by regular season record.​

TEAM FORTRESS 2

Aside from the usual prize pool for winning, the 1st place TF2 team will also be awarded tickets to fly to England and participate in the i49 LAN in August. The Insomnia LAN series is the most important European TF2 event - last summer at i46 we got to see the best of NA (Classic Mixup and Leviathan Gaming) vs EU's greatest with Mix^ ultimately winning after an All-American grand finals.

>> COVERAGE:

1. High Rollers Gaming (formerly bp) - Shade, b4nny, Lansky, Taggerung, Cyzer, Shrugger
2. Classic Mixup - Harbleu, Platinum, TLR, Enigma, Ruwin, Yz50
3. The Chess Club - Kbk, Alfa, Tri, Visitor, Weeble (subbing in for Clockwork), Boomer
4. Fully Torqued - TheFragile, PYYYOUR, A Seagull, Zbryan, Justin, Seanbud​

>> FORMAT

6v6 / Best 2-out-of-3 Maps / Double-elimination bracket with seeds determined by regular season record.

6 players per team with the following maximum of each class: 1 Medic, Demoman, Heavy, Engineer / 2 Soldiers, Scouts, Snipers, Pyros, Spies

The typical lineup is:
  • Medic
  • Demoman
  • Soldier (pocket)
  • Soldier (roamer)
  • Scout
  • Scout
This default set of classes is generally considered the most effective, but sometimes Scouts or the roaming Soldier will switch to a different class depending on the situation or map (referred to as off-classing).​

Kade

Anyone else think Valve should just include TF2 and CS:GO in the International and make it one big eSports event? They have two (three, if you count TF2) of the top eSports and outside of competitive gaming all their franchises have huge communities. A Valve Con and tournament would be pretty popular. Anyways, will be keeping an eye on this. I just got back into CS:GO after neglecting it for some time.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Stream is live now -

http://www.twitch.tv/esea

Anyone else think Valve should just include TF2 and CS:GO in the International and make it one big eSports event? They have two (three, if you count TF2) of the top eSports and outside of competitive gaming all their franchises have huge communities. A Valve Con and tournament would be pretty popular.
I really wish they would. A lot of TF2 comp players have been wanting a Valve Con of some sort for the longest time...

Anyone else think Valve should just include TF2 and CS:GO in the International and make it one big eSports event? They have two (three, if you count TF2) of the top eSports and outside of competitive gaming all their franchises have huge communities. A Valve Con and tournament would be pretty popular. Anyways, will be keeping an eye on this. I just got back into CS:GO after neglecting it for some time.

Yes I've been wanting this forever. They could really grow the American CS;GO scene with that kind of exposure. Not sure why it hasn't happened yet.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk

No.

TF2 isn't a competitive game and GO can't hold a candle to 1.6.

No.

GO has had some excellent tournaments thus far and is by far those most balanced competitive team shooter around. They continue to balance the game based on pro feedback and it continues to get better all the time.

I would love this. I also recently got back into CS:GO, though I'm kinda getting back out due to 9/10 competitive matchmaking matches being on teams where no one communicates. I'm still enjoying watching matches though. The boost such a tournament would have on competitive CS:GO and TF2 scenes would be phenomenal.

No.

I disagree.

I think I prefer TF2 not having some incredibly restrictive professional scene. Highlander is truer to TF2 and more accessible than 6v6, so anybody can play competitively without needing a sponsorship or anything like that, but even then the top Highlander teams are pretty serious stuff. 6v6 players occasionally play on Highlander teams or a player from one of the top teams will show up in a public server. I think it's nice that TF2's competitive play isn't some distant level utterly disconnected from the rest of the community, but the players are still ridiculously good.

Kade

No.

I sort of agree with both statements (The first because TF2 requires quite the overhaul to make it tournament friendly and even then it's iffy; the second because despite having more eSports focus, GO still feels really similar to Source which I personally didn't like as much) but in a perfect world, people wouldn't care about how CS 1.6 looks and would play it because it's a really good competitive shooter. We live in a world where CS 1.6 was dropped from major tournaments in favour of CS:Source because it looked prettier and honestly, Valve will have a better chance promoting CS:GO and TF2 because of the fact that they are more recent. Valve has probably put more effort into promoting GO than they have ever put into 1.6 and it'll probably remain that way. Third party tournament and league organizers are doing a good job of supporting 1.6 anyways. Dota 2 and CS:GO are good enough for such an event anyways.

I sort of agree with both statements (The first because TF2 requires quite the overhaul to make it tournament friendly and even then it's iffy; the second because despite having more eSports focus, GO still feels really similar to Source which I personally didn't like as much) but in a perfect world, people wouldn't care about how CS 1.6 looks and would play it because it's a really good competitive shooter. We live in a world where CS 1.6 was dropped from major tournaments in favour of CS:Source because it looked prettier and honestly, Valve will have a better chance promoting CS:GO and TF2 because of the fact that they are more recent. Valve has probably put more effort into promoting GO than they have ever put into 1.6 and it'll probably remain that way. Third party tournament and league organizers are doing a good job of supporting 1.6 anyways. Dota 2 and CS:GO are good enough for such an event anyways.

1.6 dropped because Sponsors were tired of pouring money into tournaments for games that weren't pushing their hardware. GO isn't 1.6 no game will ever be but I think it's the proper sequel that Source wasn't.

Grinchy

Banned
The 6:30 GO stream still hasn't started yet.

edit- ok it is coming back on and going back off. Must be a technical issue. It's unwatchable atm though.

I agree that GO is a much better "sequel" than Source. I played CS from 1.3-1.6 then stopped after Source was out for a while and people began to migrate.

GO is a petty good game. I've been having a blast in ESEA the past week.

NiP tearing it up right now.

Alienups

From Terywj on tf.tv:

Ruwin's cumulative numbers: 53-19, 370DPM, 8 dominations.

Omar/Pinkerton ain't no clockwork, i'd given Chess a small chance at winning lan if he was playing but yeah, he didn't think it was fair him going to lan after coming into the team so late.

Not a diss on Omar, it's just that clock is clock and he's damn good at videogames.

Awesome game between Dynamic and Quantic. 2nd OT on D2, 3rd 5th in the match.

This was amazing, haven't seen a game like that in a long time. Watching NiP dominate is fun... but you already know who is going to win. I mean, Heaton is their coach, come on. US sadly doesn't hold a candle to the EU teams, mostly in the strategy department. I long for the days of 3D domination

Dust1 was very cool, can't remember the last time I saw that played.

Who here plays in ESEA?

rCIZZLE

^ I used to play on there all the time from like 06-11. They made some changes though that I wasn't really a fan of. Plus the mods can be complete assholes and issue bans over the smallest things.

lol Seriously. As much as we love FPS here we can't touch Europe in high level play for CS or Quake. Most Americans probably too busy playing CoD. =/

For those who who don't follow the Pro CS here is a great highlight clip of MadCatz Invitational.

CS is just a lot more popular in other countries. People here left for console pretty quick after Halo came out.

This was amazing, haven't seen a game like that in a long time. Watching NiP dominate is fun... but you already know who is going to win. I mean, Heaton is their coach, come on. US sadly doesn't hold a candle to the EU teams, mostly in the strategy department. I long for the days of 3D domination

It was looking grim after the first round, but Quantic are certainly putting up a fight, and putting US CS on the map.

I really wish they would put that bearded guy at the other side though. Really sick at looking at him picking on his face and sticking his fingers in his mouth right in front of the camera. Who is it?

That's awesome. Reminds me of this legendary move by HeatoN.

spootime

Dust1 was very cool, can't remember the last time I saw that played.

Who here plays in ESEA?

Cancelled this month. Might resub over the summer but I wanna play more dota 2 so we'll see.

edit: also that pistol play is amazing cant believe that dude is 16.

That Heaton smoke clip is so old school... holy shit. I remember that like it was yesterday, even the music.

ESEA is decent, I'm looking for a team for next season and pugging right now. I'm enjoying GO a lot more than I ever did Source the short while I played it. Yea, there are dickheads in pugs, but if they're really bad .block is nice. I've met tons of nice people too. You'll always have the rando who thinks he's the next best thing.

Top Bottom