• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ESPN Hockey's Franchise mode is worse than ESPN Football's

Meier

I'm in shock. How is this even possible? I cant unlock more rewards in the challenge mode unless I do certain things at a higher difficulty level.. but it wont let me adjust the difficulty level I picked when I started the franchise? God damn this game is stupid.

And what's with these load times when switching screens? They're horrendous! Not to mention, your players get injured randomly in between games or something and you dont even know about it until the next one.

Oh, and it wins the award for least useful manual EVAR.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
ESPN Football's is pretty bad... last night I tried playing again... because I am waiting for all my football games to come out (NCAA NCAA NCAA NCAA) and the franchise mode is just plain weak... game looks pretty... but the franchise mode is horrid...

DMczaf

I cant wait to have my football program suspended from bowl games for "off the field activity"! Thank you EA!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Im actually looking forward to micromanaging the teams workouts..

but unless the trade AI gets fixed and they make it easier to manage the salary cap it wont matter much.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I can't wait until you are able to just flat out cheat!!! haha I want to cash some of these guys out!!!

Manage the salary cap better? I hope you just mean being able to do pro-rated back-ended contracts because thanks to my wheeling and dealing the Philadelphia Eagles are a 100 rated team (99 Offense and Defense) absolutely loaded with young guys in the 80's and improving signed long term along with some middle aged veterans at the top of their game (McNabb, Dawkins).

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Goaltender control is one of the "quirks" that's due to be fixed in 2K5. Doesn't matter who you have in net, from Brodeur to Lalime, they all handle the puck like it's a live grenade. Maddening.

Still 1000x better than the glorified pinball on ice that EA puts out.

Meier

:( I just lost a game because every time I'd pass it they would steal the puck pretty much instantaneously. Poor Khabibulin had like 43 saves compared to my 16 SOG.

rc213

Hehe, its a pretty entertaining game. One thing that seemed to bother me a bit was the steals, so freaking easy it was maddening!!!

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Heh. My top two lines got virtually wiped out due to inexplicable injuries after we won the first round in the playoffs. I had to cheat to win the cup :(

And the manual does suck ass.

calder

Yusaku said:
The injuries pretty much make franchise unplayable.

Yeah, that's what killed me.

*Game 1 of 82* A win! Go me! Go Flames!

*Game 3 of 82* Ok, losing my 4th defenceman for 2 weeks hurts, but I'll muddle through.

*Game 5 of 82* Iginla out for 4-6 weeks? And it didn't even happen in the game, so I can't even replay the hit? WTF did he slip on a banana peel outside the dressing room?

*Game 7 of 82* Iginla out. Gauthier still out. Conroy out for 2 months and Lydman out for the YEAR in the same game!? Screw this shit.

*Are you sure you want to delete season "FLAMES1"? Yes/No*
*yes*

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Pokechecking was fixed in 2K4 - it was tuned down considerably. In 2K3, you could poke check within whistling distance of the puck carrier across the blueline and spring the puck free. Now it's a lot more difficult...unless you guys are playing on Easy mode or something.

Don't get me started on the injuries. I had to call up my entire (yes, every last one) farm team from Winnipeg when taking the Canucks to the finals. Good gravy.

Yusaku

Dr.Guru of Peru said:
Heh. My top two lines got virtually wiped out due to inexplicable injuries after we won the first round in the playoffs. I had to cheat to win the cup :(

And the manual does suck ass.

I managed to win the cup despite half my team spending most of the season in the minors.

Top Bottom