• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

I doubt they'd pay for the licensing of all the japanese VAs unless they have some sort of contract already for it, so I think they'll go with english dubs as before, and they'll probably cut the amount of choices too. I think that's what would make the most sense considering they're probably not expecting crazy sales. 1 voice per class and gender combo. Maybe 2 to fit the class that have very different portraits, but even that I don't think. And probably same VA for several of them, just doing various voices, which isn't a big deal.

I wish we'd get japanese VO since it feels weird looking at the anime kinda chibi chars and then having them talk in english, but I also get why they use english dubs since a lot of people simply don't like the japanese voices at all and hate subtitles(even though everything also has text, other than the videos on which they could add subtitles anyway and aren't common besides Untold remakes).

I'll buy either way. Hopefully the EU version isn't delayed 6+months with all the shit they pulled lately though.

Rutger

Banned
Import from Japan but then lament the fact you don't know Japanese and thusly can't actually play the game.

I would if I had the money to import a Japanese 3DS too!
Kanji would be a bit of a problem, but I could make it through with a dictionary.
Getting a Japanese 3DS for one game probably isn't worth it at this point though.

kagamin

Or you could you know, dump the game using a hombrewed 3DS like I did with my copy of E.X. Troopers and install it as a cia file.

Ughhhhh I'm playing EO3 and I said no to the little ninja boy on BF4 who offered to help me fight Narmer because I was afraid to go into battle unprepared. He's no longer there and I'm worried I ended a subquest "plot". Anyone know anything about this or what I'll miss because of this? I figured he'd just be there and ask again next time I went down like the other games tend to do in this kind of situation.

omlet

Ughhhhh I'm playing EO3 and I said no to the little ninja boy on BF4 who offered to help me fight Narmer because I was afraid to go into battle unprepared. He's no longer there and I'm worried I ended a subquest "plot". Anyone know anything about this or what I'll miss because of this? I figured he'd just be there and ask again next time I went down like the other games tend to do in this kind of situation.

No matter what you pick,
one of the two of them dies.

spiritfox

IIRC it does not change anything.

Found this fun little tool on the JP EOIII website (and some nice wallpapers!)

I'm very lttp on this one, but I sure am loving the crap out of it. The setting is fantastic.

snzSWcE.png

That's me at the top. Prince Patrick! I always name the characters after friends. Also named my ship T. Rossa as a nod to Testarossa from OutRun since the music that plays at the port is pretty much Passing Breeze from OutRun.

I remember playing with that myself. I actually started with Etrian Odyssey 3, the classes in that game felt so varied in appearance and function. I still think that the kid Prince is one of the best class designs in the series.

I got to level cap in the demo last night, I've been on media blackout for the game until now and thought it was great! It's going to be hard waiting 2 weeks for the full version though. Those who don't like floor jump might be disappointed to hear that it's not entirely gone. You can floor jump from entry to the desired floor once you get enough map completion and report it to the council, but once you're in you have to either thread out or walk back.

Nachos

Localization incoming, maybe? If you streetpass someone playing the Japanese demo while you have an English-language 3DS, the title doesn't display in Japanese. Instead, you get "Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Legends," which is a better straight translation of the Japanese title, as the "end" in "The End of the Long Myth" refers to edge or frontier of something, not its conclusion. The games have changed their subtitles for the mainline games before, but maybe we'll get news soon?

I doubt they'd pay for the licensing of all the japanese VAs unless they have some sort of contract already for it, so I think they'll go with english dubs as before, and they'll probably cut the amount of choices too. I think that's what would make the most sense considering they're probably not expecting crazy sales. 1 voice per class and gender combo. Maybe 2 to fit the class that have very different portraits, but even that I don't think. And probably same VA for several of them, just doing various voices, which isn't a big deal.

I wish we'd get japanese VO since it feels weird looking at the anime kinda chibi chars and then having them talk in english, but I also get why they use english dubs since a lot of people simply don't like the japanese voices at all and hate subtitles(even though everything also has text, other than the videos on which they could add subtitles anyway and aren't common besides Untold remakes).

I'll buy either way. Hopefully the EU version isn't delayed 6+months with all the shit they pulled lately though.

I'm at the point where I'd rather take completely voiced player characters and mute NPCs or even a completely mute game over neutered party options. The thing with character creation is that because there are so many possible edge cases that can pop up – multiples of the same class, multiples of the same portrait, multiples of the same personality type, etc. – just cutting the choices by half makes party creation really weird. The games lend themselves to permutations upon permutations upon permutations. The Japanese game already categorizes the voices by personality archetype, not voice quality, so in cutting voices, you're also cutting personalities. That presents more deterrents for choosing portraits if you can't find a unique voice to match, and that flies in the face of role-playing, which the devs have even said is the biggest design conceit this time around.

Plus, they've even said that they're going to encourage using multiple party members instead of just a beginning set of five, so there's a chance you'd just be butting heads against the character creator throughout the game. I don't even think 20 voices is enough to fill the guild house. Doesn't it usually have a cap of 25 or 30?

And I can't say I feel that weird about English voices, considering the setting is usually really Western-influenced and barely has any characters with Japanese names.

spiritfox

I think it's more about when then if for localization. Still, good to have a English name, though I think it's a kinda boring subtitle.

Nachos

Also, the people at Something Awful and GameFAQs have data-mined the demo to get hard details on all oh the skills in the game, including skills unavailable in the demo. There's a ton of DUMMY values, and not much to suggest there'll be unlockable classes, but a few skill values imply there might be a
lizard people
race, if anything, which could be cool.

Here's a spreadsheet containing all of the skill value headers, as well as their translations, while here are some robust skill lists for Fencers and Dragoons, complete with hard numbers.

Some things really stick out to me:
  • Party-wide defense skills are EXPENSIVE. At level 99, humans have less than 300 max TP, while the Dragoon's maxed Full Guard costs 50. Their Gun Mount skill lets you reuse the shield at a much lower cost, but you really need to watch your spending if you want to play them like a Beast/Fortress
  • Building Fencers as a dodge tank seems like it could be really fun, since at high levels, you have tons of potential multipliers to boost your evasion and draw rates. The only problem is what'll happen when you get hit, because you take 2.5x damage flat, and that's before ditching armor slots for Unburdened.
  • The shamans have the elemental wall skill equivalent this time, but it works a little differently, on top of only being for one of their specializations. You first need to cast the appropriate buff that gives your party's weapons fire/ice/volt properties, and then cast Oracle to dispel the buffs, in exchange for nullifying the corresponding element. So cast the fire weapon buff, then cast Oracle next turn to dispel it and absorb fire for that turn.

It's more finicky than the Walls were, but Oracle lets you cover all elements in one skill and seems to absorb damage no matter what level it is. Just have to wonder how the Dragons will work this time, assuming they return. Maybe the Dragoon's Material Guard will be enough.

I think it's more about when then if for localization. Still, good to have a English name, though I think it's a kinda boring subtitle.
It sounds like the title of a bad football documentary, but apparently the subtitle's similarly lame in Japanese.

spiritfox

Line Guards has always been more useful than party guards, and that has pretty standard TP. Also Defender is back, and Dragoon has a element guard though it's not a null. It depends on how the dragons are this time round.

Edit: A guard counter! Yes!

Nachos

Line Guards has always been more useful than party guards, and that has pretty standard TP. Also Defender is back, and Dragoon has a element guard though it's not a null. It depends on how the dragons are this time round.

Edit: A guard counter! Yes!
I know, but it seems like the skill's solely reserved for really big emergencies now.

I'm just glad a lot of the classes seem fun, especially a dragoon specializing in guns. That Tochka/Pillbox is gonna be neat. But I'm really curious to see how Cesti and Necromancers shape up. From demo impressions, Cesti seem like the best class in the early game, while Necromancers are the most versatile throughout, but are completely useless without ghosts.

It seems like having two Necromancers might work better, since the ghosts aren't tied to the summoner. That way, you have two sets of passives for adding ghosts, and can restock more quickly if you get unlucky.

spiritfox

I know, but it seems like the skill's solely reserved for really big emergencies now.

I'm just glad a lot of the classes seem fun, especially a dragoon specializing in guns. That Tochka/Pillbox is gonna be neat. But I'm really curious to see how Cesti and Necromancers shape up. From demo impressions, Cesti seem like the best class in the early game, while Necromancers are the most versatile throughout, but are completely useless without ghosts.

It seems like having two Necromancers might work better, since the ghosts aren't tied to the summoner. That way, you have two sets of passives for adding ghosts, and can restock more quickly if you get unlucky.

I'm just a little disappointed how weak Reapers seem so far. But they might be like Nightseekers and be better late game.

Plus, they've even said that they're going to encourage using multiple party members instead of just a beginning set of five, so there's a chance you'd just be butting heads against the character creator throughout the game. I don't even think 20 voices is enough to fill the guild house. Doesn't it usually have a cap of 25 or 30?

I would really like to experiment more with classes especially the ones that get unlocked. Did they every mention how they might do that? With the way EXP is split, the games feel and bit stingy with levels. Maybe have some EXP go the the members left behind?

Nachos

I would really like to experiment more with classes especially the ones that get unlocked. Did they every mention how they might do that? With the way EXP is split, the games feel and bit stingy with levels. Maybe have some EXP go the the members left behind?
Erian 3's Combat Study is back, but this time as a piece of equipment. There's also skills like the Masurao's New Challenger that make getting golden enemies and triggering battles a lot easier to do on command.

Also, more skill info:

Wolf-based Hounds seem like surprisingly good healers; Four-sword Masuraos look to be really underwhelming unless Reflower's hidden values make the build suddenly make sense; Necromancer's look like they want to avoid destroying ghosts; Herbalist's debuffs are really good, and an ailment Herb is basically Arcanist subbed Medic 2.0; and Cestus seems like the best parts of a whip Dark Hunter, a Highlander, and a Bushi.

Overall, pretty good.

spiritfox

Hmm, hawk attacks randomly every turn while hound heals a random damaged ally (or himself) every turn. I might actually run a healer hound, but a smoke Herbalist seems to work well with an ailment Reaper. I'll see when the game is out.

PK Gaming

Erian 3's Combat Study is back, but this time as a piece of equipment. There's also skills like the Masurao's New Challenger that make getting golden enemies and triggering battles a lot easier to do on command.

Also, more skill info:

Wolf-based Hounds seem like surprisingly good healers; Four-sword Masuraos look to be really underwhelming unless Reflower's hidden values make the build suddenly make sense; Necromancer's look like they want to avoid destroying ghosts; Herbalist's debuffs are really good, and an ailment Herb is basically Arcanist subbed Medic 2.0; and Cestus seems like the best parts of a whip Dark Hunter, a Highlander, and a Bushi.

Overall, pretty good.

index.php

Thanks for compiling all of this stuff

You rock, Nachos

Nachos

Final DLC portrait got revealed: it's the Jack Frost gunner wielding a dragoon musket. Her face looks kinda weird, though, and at least for right now, she's only available through a code included with Famitsu. Alt color's the Moh Shuvuu-ish one.

V also got a Famitsu score of 8/9/9/9.

Final DLC portrait got revealed: it's the Jack Frost gunner wielding a dragoon musket. Her face looks kinda weird, though, and at least for right now, she's only available through a code included with Famitsu. Alt color's the Moh Shuvuu-ish one.

:D

Edit: Oh... oh man the face...

Reading up on the classes, and I'm both presently surprised and terribly mixed on it. I'm loving some of the ideas they put in, but at the same time I'm feeling that some options are going to be outright better than others. I also can't seem to get a grasp on some class identities for some reason. Still, from what I've seen I'll be running Fencer and Cetus at least. Probably looking at a Reaper and/or Dragoon as well, but no real clue as to my last slot. I'll hold my judgement on the other classes until I take some time and figure them out more. I haven't had a long time to look at them and think how they fit with my style.

spiritfox

I wonder what is the future of the series now that we have some idea about the NX. Without a second screen and a touchscreen, the main selling point of the series is gone.

tuffy

I didn't believe that dual screen handhelds would be around forever, so some sort of change in the series would be inevitable; it does feel a bit like Atlus is throwing the kitchen sink into EO V as a sort of last hurrah. But the notion of a Nintendo handheld without any sort of touchscreen at all is not something I'd considered. Though the series' RPG elements are strong, no map drawing will mean losing something special and I shall miss it.

spiritfox

There is no proof that the touchscreen is gone, so we can hope it stays. Having a touchscreen means they can still keep the map making around, though it'll have to be in a pop up menu or something now. But if there really is no touchscreen, even annotating a map would be more trouble than it's worth.

tuffy

Having a touchscreen around is also pretty important for the Layton series now that I think about it, and they are pretty much expected on handheld devices these days. And if there's a touchscreen that can be used with some sort of stylus, hopefully EO's UI can be adjusted to fit.

But it's hard to imagine how that would work with a system that can also be hooked up to a TV. I guess we'll need more details about it to know for sure.

omlet

Dual screen definitely isn't necessary as long as the map was only one click away while exploring or fighting (as in able to access it directly from the screen without having to go through another menu first). It might not be quite as convenient but it would still work...as long as it was still touch screen.

PK Gaming

Oh yeah, did anyone notice the nerfs to certain skills? Stuff like Shield Party having a fail % chance, links being completely reworked, etc.

It's verrrryyy interesting.

Nachos

Dual screen definitely isn't necessary as long as the map was only one click away while exploring or fighting (as in able to access it directly from the screen without having to go through another menu first). It might not be quite as convenient but it would still work...as long as it was still touch screen.
Yeah, I mean, most people aren't literally playing the main game and mapping at the exact same time. You're alternating, so all that really matters is that the map is always a button press away no matter what, that the map screen is responsive and snappy, and that in some cases, you can move around and map as the same time, like keeping your stylus in one place while you keep pressing forward.

If they can do that and make sure the UI is really polished, I don't think losing the second screen will matter at all.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Being used to switching screens for maps along with most others that are fans of the genre, wouldnt be much of an issue Id say if the series ever went single screen.

Only ones who would be freaking out are those who have played only the EO series lol

It's sometimes useful, when I'm trying to draw ahead by counting the tiles in the distance and stuff like that, to not have to swap constantly, but yeah overall it could easily be done with a one button swap and not hurt too much. Would need a minimap on the main screen though as I tend to navigate while looking at the map a lot, but a better screen with a higher resolution would make that possible easily.

No touchscreen on the other hand would be quite detrimental. I mean they could do automapping but it'd remove a lot of the fun of drawing your own stuff.

Nachos

It's sometimes useful, when I'm trying to draw ahead by counting the tiles in the distance and stuff like that, to not have to swap constantly, but yeah overall it could easily be done with a one button swap and not hurt too much. Would need a minimap on the main screen though as I tend to navigate while looking at the map a lot, but a better screen with a higher resolution would make that possible easily.

No touchscreen on the other hand would be quite detrimental. I mean they could do automapping but it'd remove a lot of the fun of drawing your own stuff.

They could get around that by making the map screen a semi-transparent overlay, though. If done right, it could make drawing even easier, since your eyes wouldn't need to travel as far.

Dorarnae

after playing the demo and seeing that list of skill that was leaked and how class works with race... I get the feeling there won't be sub class this time.

Top Bottom