• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

You can just not use floor jump? It's optional after all.

It still feels weird to play this game and not use every tool / option at your disposal. I wish you could start an expert game files that locks it off once you're in that save file.

Also in some way I feel it seems to break the immersion of the exploration part of the game. Pushing down to a new floor and deciding when to turn around and come back knowing you /could/ floor jump feels way less exciting. Especially if you've forgotten warp wires!

jonjonaug

I think EOIV had the best balance. No floor jumping, but fewer floors and lots of single floor mini-dungeons so you only ever had to go through two staircases instead of four to reach a boss.

I don't feel floor jumps are a big deal though? Most of the time what it means is you dodge 5-10fights with trash that you can for the most part autoresolve if you have a lineup with decent autoattackers. It's especially true with the food buffs and other passive sustain abilities that you can get that makes it so you heal up all damage taken for free. Hell by the end of EOU1, my Alchemist could spam the lvl 10 aoe spells for free, because one of the food gives TP back based on damage done, so it gave more than it cost, and I could just one shot every random encounter. At that point, having to walk to places sounds pretty pointless anyway.

It's fairly relevant the first stratum, maybe up to the 2nd, but by the 3rd your setup should be sufficiently strong that random encounters, barring a few specific ones, are a non factor and don't eat into your TP or items at a rate that'd force you to run out.

Does make gathering stuff a lot faster though, which I guess trivialize some things a bit, but it's not like a huge amount. You can do a lot worse by just setting a path with your A button pressed down overnight.

Nachos

I used Floor Jump plenty of times in both Untolds. The only thing I'd change about it would be to make it so that you can only jump in, not jump out, and to make popping a Thread as easy it is to tap a stair icon. Maybe even give a button shortcut in town that lets you bulk order Threads so you can get through gathering runs more quickly.

Also, I forgot to post this, but there's now an online editor for making Etrian V characters. It lacks all of the alt costume colors, but it otherwise has ever class portrait.
I'm gonna have to brush up color theory so I can make some good schemes.

Quixzlizx

If I finally want to get into the Untold games, should I just play the story versions of the games, or is there a significant difference between the Classic versions and the DS games? I definitely don't have the time/patience to play both modes of each game.

Nachos

If I finally want to get into the Untold games, should I just play the story versions of the games, or is there a significant difference between the Classic versions and the DS games? I definitely don't have the time/patience to play both modes of each game.
The dungeons in both are completely different compared to their original versions, the classes were rebalanced and got some different skills, and the interfaces were improved a lot. I don't know about the original version of II, but EO I had some neat design ideas that didn't make it over to the remake. It's not enough to offset the loss in usability U1 has, though. That just leaves the story/classic split:

U1's story mode has exclusive access to the Highlander and Gunner classes, as well as the new dungeon. I didn't think the dungeon was that memorable, but you might enjoy it.

But the only exclusive for U2's story mode is the Fafnir class and all of the new story scenes (which includes development for some of the new NPCs). On the flipside, though, classic mode has exclusive access to the beast class past the beginning of the 1st stratum.

I'd suggest U1's classic mode and to go with whichever mode interests you more for U2. You can try the demos, but both only let you go story.

Nachos

Just 1 cart-based save slot or 1 save slot altogether? Untold 2 offered 1 on-cart and extra SD card slots, so it makes no sense to take that feature back out again.
The back of the Japanese box only mentions one save file, when Untold 2's mentioned 1 main save + SD saves. It's a really baffling change.

I like how particular character designs may get reused across games. It is kind of a neat way to have continuity between games with different classes in my eyes.

Jeez, what's the reasoning behind this?

I think they felt that multiple saves were necessary for players who want to play story mode and classic mode in the Untold games, so since it seems to just be classic mode here, they might just think that players would just restart.

Nachos

I think they felt that multiple saves were necessary for players who want to play story mode and classic mode in the Untold games, so since it seems to just be classic mode here, they might just think that players would just restart.
Were that true, though, why bother giving U2 nine slots, instead of just two?

Were that true, though, why bother giving U2 nine slots, instead of just two?

I wish I knew, but I honestly tend to just roll with it, at least with other games. That was just one guess, if I had to give another, then I might imagine that simply feel like a single save is just part of the traditional Etrian Odyssey formula. Though again, I'm just making silly guesses.

Nachos

I wish I knew, but I honestly tend to just roll with it, at least with other games. That was just one guess, if I had to give another, then I might imagine that simply feel like a single save is just part of the traditional Etrian Odyssey formula. Though again, I'm just making silly guesses.
Yeah, I realize you're just trying toss out answers. I guess I'm just hoping that Atlus wouldn't be stupid enough to undermine player convenience in the name of tradition, when people have been bemoaning that tradition from the first game. Traditions are supposed to have values.

spiritfox

I highly doubt it due to tradition. Most likely it's due to the extra size from all the customization data, or maybe we will have larger maps.

omlet

Single save slot doesn't bother me in the slightest, to be honest, because of how New Game + lets you carry over stuff and try different parties without losing out on anything, plus EO games aren't like some other JRPGs where there are lots of things you can miss once you pass certain points. Even with the extra slots in untold I never made branching saves; didn't see a point.

Now, from the perspective of "my sister likes to borrow a lot of my video games" then it is a shame, because no way I'd let her wipe my save in order to play! And that actually probably has something to do with the real reason--makes lending/sharing the game a less attractive prospect which could encourage extra units sold. Edit: I also wouldn't doubt that what TriggerShy said is at least part of it, too. It's 'tradition' but more than that it's part of the formula for the games that puts an emphasis on thinking your builds through and trying to overcome the challenges with the toolkit you've chosen. The entire labyrinth exploration is a series of check points and forward momentum, so in that perspective it makes sense that the save system aligns with that.

spiritfox

Not an EO game but I think some people will be interested to know that Sega is following Atlus's MO of breaking street date. Got 7th Dragon early =p

Not an EO game but I think some people will be interested to know that Sega is following Atlus's MO of breaking street date. Got 7th Dragon early =p

This is because Atlus USA handles distribution of it. Also that means the middle east also has it and countries that import from there lol. How's the artbook paper and stuff?

spiritfox

This is because Atlus USA handles distribution of it. Also that means the middle east also has it and countries that import from there lol. How's the artbook paper and stuff?

It feels a bit poorer than Atlus's stuff unfortunately. There is quite a bit of art but there's no developer notes, so that's disappointing. Also the box sucks, you need to get to the case from the bottom.

Started Untold 2 earlier this week, the kitchen and town development stuff is fun. The first Grimoire trade I did got me Natural Instinct level 7 which was really nice for gathering.

I might skip 3 and hope they make an Untold version. Haven't played 4 yet and it looks like we might actually get 5 in Europe now so I can always go back to it when I have time.

It feels a bit poorer than Atlus's stuff unfortunately. There is quite a bit of art but there's no developer notes, so that's disappointing. Also the box sucks, you need to get to the case from the bottom.

Like similar quality to Stella Glow? or worse?

I found a store selling EOIV first print. Gotta jump on that asap.

spiritfox

Like similar quality to Stella Glow? or worse?

I found a store selling EOIV first print. Gotta jump on that asap.

I didn't get Stella Glow so I don't know. But it's a decent booklet if you are into the art.

Started Untold 2 earlier this week, the kitchen and town development stuff is fun. The first Grimoire trade I did got me Natural Instinct level 7 which was really nice for gathering.

I might skip 3 and hope they make an Untold version. Haven't played 4 yet and it looks like we might actually get 5 in Europe now so I can always go back to it when I have time.

I like 3's classes the most outside of Imperial from 4. I hope they do Untold 3, and hope that the poor sales of Untold 2 didn't turn them off.

I didn't get Stella Glow so I don't know. But it's a decent booklet if you are into the art.

I like 3's classes the most outside of Imperial from 4. I hope they do Untold 3, and hope that the poor sales of Untold 2 didn't turn them off.

Im actually more interested in buying a physical copy of the OST. sooooooo good.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1244037

Cnp from thread had made since am on mobile and mobile links dont work right with pc folk (ノ-_-)ノ~┻━┻

http://sq-atlus.jp/blog/archives/2466

Seens like Atlus announced the 3DS Etrian Odyssey V demo for Japan will go live on the 20th.

Demo data (character make, level, accquired skills, items etc) will be carried over to full ver.

Will be unable to suspend save in the demo.

Due to size restrictions BGM quality will be different from full ver.

Able to boot the demo up to 30 times before it becomes disabled.

Demo download distribution may end suddenly without warning.

spiritfox

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1244037

Cnp from thread had made since am on mobile and mobile links dont work right with pc folk (ノ-_-)ノ~┻━┻

http://sq-atlus.jp/blog/archives/2466

Seens like Atlus announced the 3DS Etrian Odyssey V demo for Japan will go live on the 20th.

Demo data (character make, level, accquired skills, items etc) will be carried over to full ver.

Will be unable to suspend save in the demo.

Due to size restrictions BGM quality will be different from full ver.

Able to boot the demo up to 30 times before it becomes disabled.

Demo download distribution may end suddenly without warning.

Oh I missed this, but the post does mention there will still be the SD card save slots. Guess the previous leak was wrong or something.

spiritfox

There was a previous leak? Only saw this since it had shown up in a feed I watch lol.

The back of the Japanese box only mentions one save file, when Untold 2's mentioned 1 main save + SD saves. It's a really baffling change.

eWQISRq.jpg

I dunno, really disappointing change if true but it isn't a deal breaker or anything. I just really like having an extra save file in case I royally fuck up my team.

spiritfox

I dunno, really disappointing change if true but it isn't a deal breaker or anything. I just really like having an extra save file in case I royally fuck up my team.

No, it'll have the SD card slots. Previously there was a leak that said it didn't, but the official post says it does.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Official announcement says
製品版でのセーブ枠はゲームカード、SDカード合わせて9枠ありますが、体験版ではSDカードのみの1枠です。

And if I dont screw things up with the translation... should read as

The retail / release version with the game card + SD card combined will have a total of 9 spaces. The demo version is SD card only 1 space.

Might not have screwed up the translation but sure did with this double post...

Top Bottom