• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

spiritfox

The FM version was composed first, and then got reorchestrated, right?

For V? No, the orchestrated version was first, then was converted. It's being hand-converted by Koshiro since converting from the MIDIs of the originals is not giving a satisfactory output.

Also man there's a bit of a difficulty jump in Chapter 5 of 7D3.

Zweizer

Banned
For V? No, the orchestrated version was first, then was converted. It's being hand-converted by Koshiro since converting from the MIDIs of the originals is not giving a satisfactory output.

Oh, didn't expect that. Wish they'd do the same for 4's soundtrack at some time.

I made a mistake ignoring Ailment Slash on Chloe. Ranked it up and moved her to the frontlines and she does really good damage, especially as Flavio is getting better at landing ailments with the right Grimoires equipped. I feel pretty dumb having Arianna in the front for so long.

The 3rd stratum boss was really rough though. I had to look up her attack pattern so I could use the right Defender skills at the right time. Currently baiting rhino FOEs into holes on the 4th stratum which is nice, I quite like the FOE variety. I thought the ice sliding stuff was going to be a nightmare in the 3rd stratum but it turned out to be quite fun.

omlet

I made a mistake ignoring Ailment Slash on Chloe. Ranked it up and moved her to the frontlines and she does really good damage, especially as Flavio is getting better at landing ailments with the right Grimoires equipped. I feel pretty dumb having Arianna in the front for so long.

The 3rd stratum boss was really rough though. I had to look up her attack pattern so I could use the right Defender skills at the right time. Currently baiting rhino FOEs into holes on the 4th stratum which is nice, I quite like the FOE variety. I thought the ice sliding stuff was going to be a nightmare in the 3rd stratum but it turned out to be quite fun.

Ailment slash was, like... the most MVP of MVP skills on my Expert mode story run. Setting it up doesn't always work exactly when you want it to, but, man, when it does...wew. Just wait until you can stack lv10 grimoires to make it even stronger. I had Chloe with a grimoire setup to maximize that damage and it can be really strong (stack things like charge, weapon mastery, and the ailment slash grimoire itself, or you can use palm skills to enchant ailment slash and boost it via elemental damage boosts). Remember if all else fails (like Flavio landing ailments), her force skill lets her still deal the full bonus damage with it.

Speaking of Untold 2, now that I finished FE:F (Conquest) I'm gonna get back to the last thing left to tackle in U2... picking up where I left off on Expert mode Ur-Child. It's been a few months...so rusty now.

omlet

If you're using the story mode party there's strategies out there that can kill Ur-Child pretty easily in just a few turns.

I'm on classic expert, but it's NG+ from my first run which was story expert, so I have full access to my maxed story mode party plus my good ol' classic crew.

Edit: link to the strats? I wanna see if I have whatever grimoires are needed for the setups.

Zweizer

Banned
XXSw9xs.png

Shishou confirmed as DLC.

omlet

If that's real DLC and not just Z making stuff up to practice his photoshop skills, it better be among the free DLC!

Rutger

Banned
Shishou confirmed as DLC.

Hm, she's named Paladin there, so I guess she's a DLC class like the Highlander in EO2U? Hopefully they change up the class a lot, because an old Protector sounds pretty boring compared to the new Dragoon.

When's the Ninja DLC?!

Hm, she's named Paladin there, so I guess she's a DLC class like the Highlander in EO2U? Hopefully they change up the class a lot, because an old Protector sounds pretty boring compared to the new Dragoon.

When's the Ninja DLC?!

The DLC sounds like portraits rather than actual classes.

FluxWaveZ

The five classes (and the appearances) that will be gracing the cover of the August 4th issue of Famitsu because of the June fan questionnaire:

cL4RZq1.jpg

People know what's up for granny to have actually made it. I wonder if Fencer would have even made it in at all if she wasn't in there by default. A bit surprised Necromancer Appearance 1 didn't make it, but it'd probably be hard to beat that Herbalist or the Warlock. That Dragoon is almost as "default" as Fencer is when it comes to EOV representatives, so no surprise there.

Looking forward to seeing what Himukai comes up with.

I'm legit getting a little worried about localization of EOV. will it be too late for 3ds to do this massive VA undertaking for a niche game?

kagamin

Persona 4 got (released in Japan in 2008 too) localized when the PS3 was already out for like 2 years, so why not EOV? ...Maybe you're right, when is it time to start panicking?

tuffy

Considering they're throwing the whole kitchen sink into EO V, I don't believe it'll be the first EO title to not be localized. It's always been a niche series and I don't think its usually reliable audience has evaporated just yet.

Nachos

I'm legit getting a little worried about localization of EOV. will it be too late for 3ds to do this massive VA undertaking for a niche game?

It's sure to come over. The only question is how the VO gets treated: English dubbed, Japanese dubbed, or no audio.

FluxWaveZ

It's sure to come over. The only question is how the VO gets treated: English dubbed, Japanese dubbed, or no audio.

Well, 2/3 of those would be awful. There are so many VO options, though, that it's going to be interesting. If it's in English, there'll probably be a good amount of different voices made by the same actors.

tuffy

Well, 2/3 of those would be awful. There are so many VO options, though, that it's going to be interesting. If it's in English, there'll probably be a good amount of different voices made by the same actors.
Or they could just offer fewer number of voice options, presumably.

Nachos

I'm guessing that 2/3 is includes no audio and the Japanese dub track? I'm fine with the FE Fates approach, but I don't think Etrian makes enough to justify hiring 12–14 actors, voicing 2–3 options apiece, before even looking into the NPCs. That's already more than Etrian Untold 2's entire voice cast. The games already record at Cup of Tea studios, which is basically what they use for their more niche/budget games. Reducing the number of options is also a possibility, but that's not a good look, as that's a quantifiable loss of features from the Japanese version, especially for something sure to be touted as a big new feature.

Given the choice of Japanese voices with no loss in the number of options, or an English dub with neutered choice, I'd take the former every time.

jonjonaug

The problem with Japanese VA only here is that the voices in Untold were more than just flavor, they we're also used during dungeon navigation for minor hints (interactible areas/walls, incoming FOEs, etc). Since I doubt there'll be subtitles for any of that, you kinda need a dub to ensure a similar experience.

Rutger

Banned
Yeah, I'd much rather have the Japanese voices over English with less options.
I can't imagine them giving us all the options with English voices unless it's a small handful of actors giving different takes, which doesn't sound as fun.

I guess I'm hoping they decide to just keep the Japanese voices at this point.

FluxWaveZ

After going through Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, I have extremely little tolerance for Japanese voices that aren't subbed. Utterly pointless if I can't understand what they're saying.

ohlawd

^ what the fuck go away, no one here knows about Matthew Mercer except me

I hope we do get English VAs, so I can have twenty different flavors of Matthew Mercer or something

Top Bottom