• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Zweizer

Banned
Thanks for the tips... I guess i don't feel like doing the QR thing after all so i'll just have her catch up naturally i think...

Also: I just realised i might have misjudged how circles work in this game. I always thought you set a circle which either hits or doesn't hit in THAT moment and then those enemies that get hit by say poison will stay poisoned for 3 rounds. Now i somehow see that these circles RETRY to take effect EACH turn and they may hit a previously unaffected enemy the next turn then?

Yep, the circles stay for a while.

Nachos

Also: Will she catch up quick enough to the rest of the team if i keep playing or should i grind some levels out with her alone out there to catch her up to 32 like the rest of my team?

It's not as bad as it seems. If I remember correctly, retiring at ~level 30 will give the resulting character +4 to all stats and skill points. Stat-wise, the arcanist is already around level 31/32, and they're essentially at level 29 as far as skill points go.

Nachos

That new Cherry Tree Bridge arrangement sounds pretty good. Now to wait until January so I don't need to hear it through the 3DS' sound compression.

If I wanted to try out a game in the series would I be better going with EOIV or Persona Q?

That depends. Four will give you a much better idea of how the rest of the series plays and is a great starting point for a beginner, while Q might be better at getting Persona fans to try the games, despite still favoring the Persona side more.

If you already like Persona, then that might be a good entry point, but it doesn't have a demo. Both IV and Untold do, though, and you can transfer all of your progress from each to the full games.

Zweizer

Banned
Interesting, I wonder what they were trying to do with that desing at the time.
Or they were showing some sort of progresion?

A prestige class apparently. From what I can understand, if a Protector equipped with a Black Crystal Sword were to reach level 70, she'd become a Dark Lord.

Assuming this inspired the designs for the Imperials, it's kind of funny that the classes are mirror opposites of each other as far as roles go.

Anteo

A prestige class apparently. From what I can understand, if a Protector equipped with a Black Crystal Sword were to reach level 70, she'd become a Dark Lord.

Assuming this inspired the designs for the Imperials, it's kind of funny that the classes are mirror opposites of each other as far as roles go.

So thats why protector girl is also imperial girl

Zweizer

Banned
Based on the 2 remakes, the most likely class would be one of the mascots, so Landsknecht or Fortress.

I don't disagree with the perception that it would be most likely a mascot, but Landsknecht and Fortress are made rather redundant with Buccaneer and Hoplite.

spiritfox

I don't disagree with the perception that it would be most likely a mascot, but Landsknecht and Fortress are made rather redundant with Buccaneer and Hoplite.

True, and Imperials and Arcanists are more interesting classes anyway. Maybe they'll break the formula with EOU3.

question: Does technically heavier gear make you less agile EVEN though it won't directly say so in the stat description?

Example: My Dancer in EOIV is wearing a Moth Coat right now which seems to be in the "tissue class" my agi is 37 when wearing that. However, when i go to the heavier armored class next to it in the shop and pick an item there which is of course much higher in defense (and shows so) my agi does NOT decrease one bit according to the stats screen?

Can i trust that to be accurate ?

Zweizer

Banned
question: Does technically heavier gear make you less agile EVEN though it won't directly say so in the stat description?

Example: My Dancer in EOIV is wearing a Moth Coat right now which seems to be in the "tissue class" my agi is 37 when wearing that. However, when i go to the heavier armored class next to it in the shop and pick an item there which is of course much higher in defense (and shows so) my agi does NOT decrease one bit according to the stats screen?

Can i trust that to be accurate ?

If it doesn't decrease your AGI, it won't have any negative influence on your speed, so feel free to equip your Dancer with "heavier" gear.

tuffy

Heavier gear and weapons does make you slower, yes. Pulling from an old doc I got somewhere:
  • Shield: -2 speed
  • Heavy Armor: -2 speed
  • Medium Armor: -1 speed
  • Light Armor: +2 speed
  • Gloves: +1 speed
  • Shoes: +4 speed
  • Accessories and helms are neutral.
  • Gunblade: -4 speed
  • Hammers: -3 speed
  • Swords: -2 speed
  • Thrusting Swords: +2 speed
  • Katanas: +2 speed
  • Daggers: +3 speed
  • Bows and staves are neutral.
And each point of agility adds a point of speed.

Zweizer

Banned
Heavier gear and weapons does make you slower, yes. Pulling from an old doc I got somewhere:
And each point of agility adds a point of speed.

Wait, really? I never noticed it during my playthroughs. Does that apply to every game?

That's actually surprising. It never even occurred to me this could be one of those games where your armor affected your speed in battle.

I've always been on the fence with multi-hit skills that aren't magic in these games since I have terrible luck when it comes to using them. Sometimes it feels like a waste to use a accuracy buffing spell, then use a multi-hit skills and get like 3 hits out of a possible 6-8.

tuffy

It's often a good idea to leg bind enemies before those "many hit/low accuracy" skills (like Squall Volley) to ensure the monster can't dodge and most of those hits will connect.

scy

Wait, really? I never noticed it during my playthroughs. Does that apply to every game?

Yup. For instance, EO2's was massive though just a weapon-based system for Speed checks. Basically, you had the formula: Weapon Speed Mod * Skill Speed Mod * Agility Stat. However, the spread on these was rather large: Whips were mostly 3.0, Swords were 2.0, Bows were 1.0~1.5, all the way down to Katana/Staves/Guns/Claws/Axe at the .5~.1 range.

What this ultimately meant was that some actions were pretty much predictably always last and that certain classes were just flat out better than others at some roles. Like, a WM vs Medic was a difference of nearly 20 times; Medic essentially was a predictive healer while WM got to be reactive with it. This is part of the reason of why Medic was inferior to WM, Beast is worse than Protector, and why AGI was a joke stat in EO2. Turn order was pretty much entirely based off of Weapon choice.

Ugh. Annoying how multi hit skills have an accuracy of like 60%.

Just to note, skills with a 60% Accuracy don't mean they hit 60% of the time. It means they have a 60% modifier to your Accuracy value that is used to determine your actual Hit Chance%. Basically, if you'd result in a 150% chance to hit due to your stats vs enemy stats, a 60% Accuracy skill would mean an actual 90% chance for it to hit.

Of course, this changes a lot based on the game. EO2 didn't really show massive gains from more AGI on Accuracy where as EO3/EO4 gave you a +/- 30% Hit Chance% modifier based primarily off your stats. Though, EO3/EO4 changed a lot of this too since Skills weren't Accuracy% mods like I went over above but just flat out reduced your Accuracy value. For instance, Nine Smashes is -55 so if you have 130 Accuracy, Nine Smashes reduces that to 75 for purpose of it's Hit Chance% calculation or your actual Hit Chance% would range from 45% to 105% based off your stats vs enemy stats. Realistically, though, Nine Smashes sits at around 13% - 73% outside any form of Accuracy correcting buffs due to your base being 98% :x

Zweizer

Banned
Yup. For instance, EO2's was massive though just a weapon-based system for Speed checks. Basically, you had the formula: Weapon Speed Mod * Skill Speed Mod * Agility Stat. However, the spread on these was rather large: Whips were mostly 3.0, Swords were 2.0, Bows were 1.0~1.5, all the way down to Katana/Staves/Guns/Claws/Axe at the .5~.1 range.

What this ultimately meant was that some actions were pretty much predictably always last and that certain classes were just flat out better than others at some roles. Like, a WM vs Medic was a difference of nearly 20 times; Medic essentially was a predictive healer while WM got to be reactive with it. This is part of the reason of why Medic was inferior to WM, Beast is worse than Protector, and why AGI was a joke stat in EO2. Turn order was pretty much entirely based off of Weapon choice.

Just to note, skills with a 60% Accuracy don't mean they hit 60% of the time. It means they have a 60% modifier to your Accuracy value that is used to determine your actual Hit Chance%. Basically, if you'd result in a 150% chance to hit due to your stats vs enemy stats, a 60% Accuracy skill would mean an actual 90% chance for it to hit.

Of course, this changes a lot based on the game. EO2 didn't really show massive gains from more AGI on Accuracy where as EO3/EO4 gave you a +/- 30% Hit Chance% modifier based primarily off your stats. Though, EO3/EO4 changed a lot of this too since Skills weren't Accuracy% mods like I went over above but just flat out reduced your Accuracy value. For instance, Nine Smash is -55 so if you have 130 Accuracy, Nine Smash reduces that to 75 for purpose of it's Hit Chance% calculation.

All this math. You really know your stuff~

I wonder whether EOU2 keeps the same formula from the other 3DS installments or does it have an updated speed mechanic that's similar to EO2?

Zweizer

Banned
I guess it's more likely that they kept the same mechanics then, especially considering that EO1/EO2 were more experimental in nature.

No reason for them to change the formula.

Nachos

-EO2 has some wonky balance.-

I was going to post something similar, but you did it much more comprehensively than I would have. Though, I completely forgot how useless Nine Smashes essentially (especially compared to a gladiator/buccaneer using Pincushion with some agility books under their belt). It was like the Gladiator suddenly became a belligerent drunk, but only for that one attack.

All this math. You really know your stuff~

I wonder whether EOU2 keeps the same formula from the other 3DS installments or does it have an updated speed mechanic that's similar to EO2?
It uses the new formulas, just like Untold 1 did. I don't know the specific modifiers, but they actually made the agility stat even more important than in other games; it now affects both bow and gun damage. I think strength might still have some influence on physical skills, but at the very least, pulling the trigger slightly harder won't magically make your bullets do way more damage.

Top Bottom