• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Sounds like I'll have to pick it up then. I just needed one person to push me into it, thanks.

Character creation is not something I enjoy though.

I've got a sneaking suspicion Persona Q will take a place in my top 3 games this year. Everything about it sounds right up my alley. If I'm lucky it'll arrive tomorrow!

I have nothing against a premade party but the Untold characters are boring and the story sucks compared to Vanilla EO1. I'd recommend you to keep playing EO4 instead.

Persona Q on the other hand is great.

NichM

Banned
I have nothing against a premade party but the Untold characters are boring and the story sucks compared to Vanilla EO1. I'd recommend you to keep playing EO4 instead.

EO4 is my favorite too, but this doesn't seem like helpful advice to someone who's already stated his preference for pregenerated characters. Not everyone has the same tastes.

EO4 is my favorite too, but this doesn't seem like helpful advice to someone who's already stated his preference for pregenerated characters. Not everyone has the same tastes.

I enjoy games with pregenerated characters too and I found Untold to be a huge disappointment in that area(and the story too), that's all I'm saying.

PQ has premade chars and it's really good, so I'd just tell him to play that instead of Untold's Story Mode.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The actual story bugs me more than the premades in EO Untold. I think the banter is pretty good.

I'm really of a less story is more sort of person when it comes to this series and think EO1 and 2 had the right idea in that department. Just five lads and lasses (or a bear or two) going down (or up) a big ass tree with weird ass maps.

Oh, did Untold 2 fix the Beast class? It's still my least favorite class in the entire series and I'd love it if they were actually good now.

ohlawd

This looks like a good place to ask:

I picked up EOIV and I like it, the gameplay is fun but there isn't a whole lot of story motivation. Should I pick up EO:U? A premade party sounds like an improvement to me, as long as the gameplay isn't too downgraded from being a remake of an older title.

Also have a copy of Persona Q arriving later this week which I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love.
nah, IV shits on Untold and PQ

ZeroX03

Banned
Just because a story had more exposition it doesn't make it better.

And seriously, I like PQ but it's just the cast being silly.

Let me put it like this: I have zero feelings about EOIV's story or atmosphere at all. I only like it for the gameplay, for my personal tastes, anything will be better. I'm already more interested by the trailers of PQ alone.

ohlawd

lol I take it back. PQ doesn't even have a story.

okay it does. IV has some tree as the objective while going through different lands. PQ's is the same, pretty much, except not a tree but you adventure through places. at least IV had those guest characters and they all had different backgrounds and goals and shit and each of them had something to contribute information-wise about whatever.

so far in PQ, I know fuck all except for some tower with no characters to help expound on that except Rei and Zen and they don't know shit except corn dogs and staying together forever cuz who can blame Zen when Rei is kawaii as fuck. oh and memory loss lol

Let me put it like this: I have zero feelings about EOIV's story or atmosphere at all. I only like it for the gameplay, for my personal tastes, anything will be better. I'm already more interested by the trailers of PQ alone.

Fair enough, but saying "I'm pretty sure that's not the case in story or atmosphere for PQ at least..." when you probably aren't that into EO4 and haven't played PQ. Hearing it as a fact just bothered me a bit that's all lol.

lol I take it back. PQ doesn't even have a story.

okay it does. IV has some tree as the objective while going through different lands. PQ's is the same, pretty much, except not a tree but you adventure through places. at least IV had those guest characters and they all had different backgrounds and goals and shit and each of them had something to contribute information-wise about whatever.

so far in PQ, I know fuck all except for some tower with no characters to help expound on that except Rei and Zen and they don't know shit except corn dogs and staying together forever cuz who can blame Zen when Rei is kawaii as fuck. oh and memory loss lol

but mai waifus!

srsly tho I hope no one actually thinks mindless banter is equivalent to character building.

but Chie talks about Steak all day XD GotY!
it's annoying.

In PQs defense, the dungeons are great and the atmosphere is actually pretty good at times(3rd dungeon).

PK Gaming

I don't think PQ and EOIV have atmospheres that are directly comparable. Both games strive do different things, so it's not really fair to say that one is strictly better than the other.

EOIV is an extremely, extremely immersive game. The locations you visit are mystical-yet-grounded, so it feels like you yourself are trekking through forests, caves, etc. The dungeon music is pleasant, subdued and non-intrusive. There's a day & night system which gives you a sense of how long your given dungeon excursion is (which also lends to the immersion). Events are recounted to you by a narrator in a story book like manner. There's absolutely no banter between party members (or rather, it's for you to make up). EOIV is designed from the ground up to get you into a flow in which you get fully immersed into the game world. It prioritizes the players experience over the characters.

PQ on the other hand, is a different beast altogether. The locations you visit are bizarre and fantastical. The characters are constantly talking amongst each other or reacting to certain events or enemies. Dungeon progress is periodically punctuated by brief scenes skits or scenes. There are a handful of cutscenes. Characters talk and react to things during battle. Unlike EOIV, the game doesn't prioritize the player here; everything is set up to manipulate the cast in some way. Getting them to experience new things or even developing them in certain cases. It's all about the characters, rather than the player.

To put it simply:

Both games are trying to do different things. I don't think either game is superior to the other, so it really just comes down to taste. It's pointless to try and prop up one game over the other.

spiritfox

The dialogue gets slightly better as the 2 sides banter with each other, but it's mostly the same type of dialogue as EOU, except with more likeable people. As a fanservice piece, it's alright. However, it also can get annoying, and I still prefer a game where I can immerse myself in the world rather than follow a group of pre-created characters on an adventure.

Also, I think the labyrinth design and overall artstyle helps to make it a better game than it would have been, and I hope EO5 does take some inspiration from some of the puzzle design in PQ.

magnetic

Character creation is not something I enjoy though.

Then EO might just not be the right series for you. Creating characters, testing different party setups, skill point distribution, and even simple stuff like finding a good name for each of your characters is what really draws me into the series.

And I actually love how little annoying dialog or cutscenes there is. There´s big dungeons with stuff in them and bosses at the end, that´s all the motivation I need.

spiritfox

You don't need to think of good names though. See Fight and Heal.

I name my characters their class. :p It makes it easier to remember who does what, I swear! Besides, I suck at names.

Anteo

This looks like a good place to ask:

I picked up EOIV and I like it, the gameplay is fun but there isn't a whole lot of story motivation. Should I pick up EO:U? A premade party sounds like an improvement to me, as long as the gameplay isn't too downgraded from being a remake of an older title.

Also have a copy of Persona Q arriving later this week which I'm pretty sure I'm gonna love.

How far into the game are you anyways? IV story was better than Untold for sure, the events that happen in the third land tie the little things that happened early and make you want to go forward to solve the huge crisis that you are in the midle of .

Untold just have the characters that can talk with each other and they butchered the little story there was in EO I to try to make it work. And it doesnt work. Here is hopping EOU II fixes the story mode or at least gives an endung that makes sense in the context of the game

magnetic

You don't need to think of good names though. See Fight and Heal.

I name my characters their class. :p It makes it easier to remember who does what, I swear! Besides, I suck at names.

Haha, I do the same! I make little name variations of the class titles. My medic is always called Medda, for instance.

Laconic

Banned
I still maintain that 3 & 4 are the best.

If I am being 100% honest, I prefer 4.

3 gets its nods for those amazing classes.

4 owns in every other regard.

Persona Q is waaaaaay too magic conservation oriented for it be either a good EO game, or a good Persona Game.

But hey - meat, meat, meat, and... protein.

Rutger

Banned
I still maintain that 3 & 4 are the best.

I agree with this. 3 has the best dungeon layouts in the series, so I like it the most.
It's not like these games have ever been hard, but I appreciate the improvements to combat and class balance in 4. I feel the dungeon layouts were not as creative as 3's, but still pretty good, so it's right behind 3 for me.

2's dungeon layouts aren't bad, but they're far less interesting that what came after. EOU's dungeons were all pretty dull until the sixth.

Persona Q is waaaaaay too magic conservation oriented for it be either a good EO game, or a good Persona Game.

It's not too hard to save SP with the use of Sub Personas and Boost. I'm not sure I understand this complaint.
The dungeon's have been great so far though, so it's a pretty good EO for me.

Sub-Personas is the reason PQ is awesome, I wish Persona 5 will have something like that because only being able to customize the MC in P3/4 sucks. The Boost mechanic is also great.

Rutger

Banned
Sub-Personas is the reason PQ is awesome, I wish Persona 5 will have something like that because only being able to customize the MC in P3/4 sucks. The Boost mechanic is also great.

Sub Personas is the best thing to happen to the Persona series.
I'd be sad if they ever went back to letting everyone equip any Persona like 1 & 2. When I can change someone's weaknesses/resistances and skills on the fly, they start to lose their identity and it becomes a question of what Personas I have. I like having to work around those weaknesses as well as characters always having certain skill, but having some freedom with that is great.

I don't think PQ and EOIV have atmospheres that are directly comparable. Both games strive do different things, so it's not really fair to say that one is strictly better than the other.

EOIV is an extremely, extremely immersive game. The locations you visit are mystical-yet-grounded, so it feels like you yourself are trekking through forests, caves, etc. The dungeon music is pleasant, subdued and non-intrusive. There's a day & night system which gives you a sense of how long your given dungeon excursion is (which also lends to the immersion). Events are recounted to you by a narrator in a story book like manner. There's absolutely no banter between party members (or rather, it's for you to make up). EOIV is designed from the ground up to get you into a flow in which you get fully immersed into the game world. It prioritizes the players experience over the characters.

PQ on the other hand, is a different beast altogether. The locations you visit are bizarre and fantastical. The characters are constantly talking amongst each other or reacting to certain events or enemies. Dungeon progress is periodically punctuated by brief scenes skits or scenes. There are a handful of cutscenes. Characters talk and react to things during battle. Unlike EOIV, the game doesn't prioritize the player here; everything is set up to manipulate the cast in some way. Getting them to experience new things or even developing them in certain cases. It's all about the characters, rather than the player.

To put it simply:

Both games are trying to do different things. I don't think either game is superior to the other, so it really just comes down to taste. It's pointless to try and prop up one game over the other.

EO mainlines are also not clear on whether the NPCs are talking to the characters, the first character (and therefore guild leader), or the player ourselves much of the time, especially early on. In PQ, we KNOW it's the crews.

Anteo

EO mainlines are also not clear on whether the NPCs are talking to the characters, the first character (and therefore guild leader), or the player ourselves much of the time, especially early on. In PQ, we KNOW it's the crews.

"Hey [GuildName], it's good that you are here.."

ohlawd

I thought this was simple

all guild members are present and when it comes to answering a question, they all huddle up and discuss the best course of action

>_>

Anteo

I thought this was simple

all guild members are present and when it comes to answering a question, they all huddle up and discuss the best course of action

>_>

EOIV 4th land spoilers
The moment were you take down Logre and he prepares to blow up his sword as his last resource asks you if you will attack him or extend your hand, in my mind everyone would ready their weapons, even the character named after me, but then I thought the landsknecht would be the one to take a step and extend her hand, leaving everyone else in the party spechless. It certanly wasnt what the devs had in mind, but it became a really special moment for me because of how I thought about it. The way they word everything allows my mind to go wild

Same here considering I can't think of a time the NPCs ever acknowledge the existence of your party except for maybe the Guild Master npc.

"Hm? Those clothers.. Are you going back out to explore some more?" Inn Lady - EOIV
Well, it uses you so you can take it either way

PK Gaming

EOIV 4th land spoilers
The moment were you take down Logre and he prepares to blow up his sword as his last resource asks you if you will attack him or extend your hand, in my mind everyone would ready their weapons, even the character named after me, but then I thought the landsknecht would be the one to take a step and extend her hand, leaving everyone else in the party spechless. It certanly wasnt what the devs had in mind, but it became a really special moment for me because of how I thought about it. The way they word everything allows my mind to go wild

Oh man, I went through the same thing.

I hate to use this word, but the 4th stratum was legitimately epic. The stakes were higher than ever, the new stratum was intimidating and awe-inspiring, the dungeon music was great and Logre's character arc was pretty neat. If the Prince wasn't such a garbage villain, it would have been super amazing.

Anteo

Oh man, I went through the same thing.

I hate to use this word, but the 4th stratum was legitimately epic. The stakes were higher than ever, the new stratum was intimidating and awe-inspiring, the dungeon music was great and Logre's character arc was pretty neat. If the Prince wasn't such a garbage villain, it would have been super amazing.

Hey there, fellow deep one.

The only thing I dont like about IV is that the game didnt have the balls to kill anyone important. I think it killed some random guards in the first stratum but that was it.

III on the other hand, the "key" moment happens much earlier (mid of stratum 2 vs end of land 3 in IV) and it keeps you engaged from that point until the end and even asks you
to choose a side. People die, guards die more often, allies may become enemies later on, etc.

Hey there, fellow deep one.

The only thing I dont like about IV is that the game didnt have the balls to kill anyone important. I think it killed some random guards in the first stratum but that was it.

III on the other hand, the "key" moment happens much earlier (mid of stratum 2 vs end of land 3 in IV) and it keeps you engaged from that point until the end and even asks you
to choose a side. People die, guards die more often, allies may become enemies later on, etc.

I thought the
Tharsis Count
would die because he's the biggest bro ever and I always expect the friendliest characters to die.
I don't mind no one dying but it's weird considering almost every boss dies in the EO series and it suddenly stopped happening in EO4.

bad memories of Proggy incoming D:

I'm going to assume you're talking about the Progenitor lol.

He's such an interesting character, we never get a full explanation but he seemed fine with you defeating him as he felt guilty and it's kinda implied that he had feelings for the Princess too. He even tells you about the Abyssal God when you win in a "you should try to defeat him to stop all of this" tone.

This conversation made me think: Has the series gotten less brutal, in regards to situations in dungeons, as time has passed?

I swear I remember the earlier games had more moments of "You walked into a place in the forest and there were human blood and entrails everywhere!"

I could be wrong though.

tuffy

This conversation made me think: Has the series gotten less brutal, in regards to situations in dungeons, as time has passed?

I swear I remember the earlier games had more moments of "You walked into a place in the forest and there were human blood and entrails everywhere!"

I could be wrong though.
I don't recall if the flavor text has gotten any less brutal, but some of the situations you can get into in IV are just as bad as ever.

Mess up in the "multiple choice" area of maze 5, or the statues area of maze 6, and you're going to have a real hard time.

PK Gaming

When I entered the poison dungeon for the first time I legitimately freaked out when Medic started to throw up/party members started to faint.

EOIV 4th land spoilers

I had a similar reaction as well. I dunno if I just like the blank slates you project your characters onto but I found this a really powerful moment for me. It makes me really not want the games to go in the direction of the Untold games which is the only slight fear I have for EO5.
They won't, but eh

EO3 had some creepy moments, and EO4 had the whole post game dungeon being creppy as hell.

That post game dungeon was something else. The game was all pretty and lavish then the 6th stratum was actually creepy in design and music.
then again it was getting weird and creepy with the Heavenbringer

I can't wait till I play EO3. Really looking forward to it.

Still got PQ to play and it is really great.
Not as good as EO4 mind.

Shengar

Not very. I never used one. Any party/classes are viable really.
Don't listen to Mauricio_Magus's lies

its more a matter if you know what you are doing or not vs essential anything

I'm still in early part of the game (Lush Woodlands B2), and more often than not, even though I'm able to hold out against FOE attack and retaliate decently, my TP will run out before they're killed. Seeing Dancer have that certain skill that reduce TP usage, I thought it would essential. So, is there any way to deal with TP in early game?

Also some skills said that it can be trained, what does it mean?

Top Bottom