• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

How essential Dancer is EOIV?
Don't have one in my party

She's not essential at all, no one is, but she was SUPER useful in my team.

She was pretty good at healing for the whole game, one dance every 6 or so turns and then having tons of free turns to boost my attack, chase, give first turns, paralyze the shit out of EVERYTHING thanks to subbing her as Nightseeker, helping me with links, and evading almost anything.

Dancer for the fucking win.

Zweizer

Banned
I'm still in early part of the game (Lush Woodlands B2), and more often than not, even though I'm able to hold out against FOE attack and retaliate decently, my TP will run out before they're killed. Seeing Dancer have that certain skill that reduce TP usage, I thought it would essential. So, is there any way to deal with TP in early game?

Also some skills said that it can be trained, what does it mean?

Well, if you have TP woes Dancer can indeed help mitigate it, though it all depends on how your party is formed (some classes consume more TP than others, and some have ways to regain TP by themselves). Early game there aren't many more options than either having a Dancer, relying on items or using skills more sparingly.

Keep in mind though that it's a common occurence in the series to get TP troubles in the early game. It becomes less of a problem as you progress and get skills that can manage enemies more effectively.

The skills can be trained thing just means that if you put more points into them they'll get stronger. Somewhat of a bit misleading wording I guess.

Shengar

She's not essential at all, no one is, but she was SUPER useful in my team.

She was pretty good at healing for the whole game, one dance every 6 or so turns and then having tons of free turns to boost my attack, chase, give first turns, paralyze the shit out of EVERYTHING thanks to subbing her as Nightseeker, helping me with links, and evading almost anything.

Dancer for the fucking win.
image.php

/jk :p

Is that subclassing that featured in EOIV? When will I get it?
The skills can be trained thing just means that if you put more points into them they'll get stronger. Somewhat of a bit misleading wording I guess.
It's a bummer that I can't get skill point for free! (or money)

Well I know it's not the most favorite game of many EO fans, I have been enjoying my replay of EO: Untold in classic mode. I even started using some story characters again and enjoying that. The game has a pretty good balance and I'm playing on the middle difficulty. Some FOEs still hit hard and knock my characters out. Some FOEs on Floor 18 resist physical, while some resist the elements. I switched to a physical party to fight some of them, now I need to go back to my party with elementalists (Alchemists) to fight the other ones. The maze design is pretty good too, I am glad that I can skip floors though. I had a moment where I had to run away and I had forgot my Ariadne Thread. It was a classic EO moment... I still think these games are brilliant examples of game design. Even Untold has lots of good moments...except Grimoire stones, I rarely use those, I just have 99 of them sitting there. I know I can mix them together but really don't see the point. I think I would rather have subclassing.

speaking of 3rd land dungeon, DAMN those plated chasers are annoying!! They have this attack which hits my Fortress for a decent amount of damage but the real kicker is their splash piercing effect which ALWAYS goes to my back row and INSTAKILLS either my RM or my Arcanist most of the time, DESPITE them being buffed with strike guard and/or elemental guard, but i guess PIERCING damage is considered neither of those is it? my Binds won't work against this SOB for some reason either :((((

Zweizer

Banned
speaking of 3rd land dungeon, DAMN those plated chasers are annoying!! They have this attack which hits my Fortress for a decent amount of damage but the real kicker is their splash piercing effect which ALWAYS goes to my back row and INSTAKILLS either my RM or my Arcanist most of the time, DESPITE them being buffed with strike guard and/or elemental guard, but i guess PIERCING damage is considered neither of those is it? my Binds won't work against this SOB for some reason either :((((

You're not supposed to fight them for now. Try to read their movements, as they tend to slide on frozen water tiles to get the jump on you, but otherwise they're easily avoidable.

The 3rd land dungeon has several entrances, so if you find yourself unable to make any progress, try to see if you can advance from elsewhere.

Shengar

Is it me, or rare FOE hit harder as their health going down?
Two times I got wiped by that kangaroo when I only need to land a spell once.

You're not supposed to fight them for now. Try to read their movements, as they tend to slide on frozen water tiles to get the jump on you, but otherwise they're easily avoidable.

The 3rd land dungeon has several entrances, so if you find yourself unable to make any progress, try to see if you can advance from elsewhere.

don't spoil it for me please but... yeah i am actually stuck there, and when you say several i really hope you mean TWO right? ;) i have gone as far as i can in both i reckon so unless i figure out a way to break that double Lava pop i can't really progress right now i think hmmm :( damnit i hate being stuck like that but i also don't wanna use a walkthrough hmm

ZeroX03

Banned
I'm a bit late replying to some posts, whoops.

Then EO might just not be the right series for you. Creating characters, testing different party setups, skill point distribution, and even simple stuff like finding a good name for each of your characters is what really draws me into the series.

And I actually love how little annoying dialog or cutscenes there is. There´s big dungeons with stuff in them and bosses at the end, that´s all the motivation I need.

I don't mind testing part setups or skill point distribution, I just don't like character creation. Literally just being told "hey pick a name and design" etc adds nothing for me, I'd prefer that stuff be preset. I'm fine with experimenting and strategic elements.

How far into the game are you anyways? IV story was better than Untold for sure, the events that happen in the third land tie the little things that happened early and make you want to go forward to solve the huge crisis that you are in the midle of .

Untold just have the characters that can talk with each other and they butchered the little story there was in EO I to try to make it work. And it doesnt work. Here is hopping EOU II fixes the story mode or at least gives an endung that makes sense in the context of the game

I'm near the end of the second land.

Zweizer

Banned
don't spoil it for me please but... yeah i am actually stuck there, and when you say several i really hope you mean TWO right? ;) i have gone as far as i can in both i reckon so unless i figure out a way to break that double Lava pop i can't really progress right now i think hmmm :( damnit i hate being stuck like that but i also don't wanna use a walkthrough hmm

Ah, you found the other one. You're on the right track then. Hint:
Try to gather as many Ice Stakes as you can.

They get stronger every turn, not as their health go down.

Yep. Better kill them fast.

Ah, you found the other one. You're on the right track then. Hint:
Try to gather as many Ice Stakes as you can.

Yep. Better kill them fast.

ok thanks i got it now... would never have figured it out though if not for your hint ;P

HOW am i supposed to figure this out though? I mean the first time i went to that huge lava spike, the game told me that there was no way i was going to progress like that and/or that even my ice stake would be no match for it (or something like that) so naturally i left it at that and went to explore the rest of the dungeon, hoping something would come up which it never did :( So i always thought i musta missed something somewhere.

also: why did i need to load up on stakes when in the end all it took was like ONE stake to destroy it?

tuffy

The previous Untold was late June 2013 which was quite awhile ago, so I suspect the lack of sales may have to do with the Japanese fanbase not being very interested in the direction of the remakes. I'd like another data point to know for sure.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
So Untold 2 sold like shit, I wonder if it's because Untold wasn't that great, Persona Q being released so near, or something else.

lots of fence sitters id imagine. that and am sure folks dont like the idea of remakes and want something new in the series story or not. since the game is solid so its not like a bad game is whats scaring folks away.

ohlawd

this is the end

EOMD will sell 10k FW, 20k LTD

EOV will sell 30k FW, 80k LTD

then we'll see ports to Vita

end of days

the apocalypse approaches

THIS IS ALL PQ'S FAULT

unless its an asian version dont recall a us announcement?

im seriously worried about how that game will sell here since its even more niche than dungeon crawlers. the genre that is.
Yeah, the game seems niche squared, but I hope a dedicated group of EO, MD, and dungeon crawler fans take notice of this title and buy it. Maybe Atlus hopes to get some of that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon fan base (though I greatly doubt that will happen).

Edit: I'd like to mention Play Asia claims it's strictly the NA region version of the game so I'm not so sure it's the Asian version.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah, the game seems niche squared, but I hope a dedicated group of EO, MD, and dungeon crawler fans take notice of this title and buy it. Maybe Atlus hopes to get some of that Pokemon Mystery Dungeon fan base (though I greatly doubt that will happen).

pretty much all the fans in japan know about it but the question is will they buy it since its a totally different genre. one thats more of a pain in the ass and not as satisfying to play lol. so will be hard to say. its like they are trying to mix two fangroups in hopes of spillover. hard to say how it will go. my own gut feeling for now is not well...

spiritfox

Edit: I'd like to mention Play Asia claims it's strictly the NA region version of the game so I'm not so sure it's the Asian version.

Unless it's a Japanese system, Nintendo systems in Asia are the same as NA's.

Nachos

Etrian Mystery Dungeon coming to NA? Or is this old news I can't find anywhere.

Huh. Normally I wouldn't think much of it, but since it's an actual store and has an English logo, this might lead to something. If you compare the logos, the English one actually shows parts of the tree that get covered up in the Japanese one. Either someone has a lot of time, or there's something to this.
I still want Break Record and 2 Untold, but I wouldn't mind at all if Atlus USA prioritized this instead.

Still, this seems pretty surprising compared to how Persona 5 was/is being handled. I don't know if they've finally seen it, but they still hadn't seen anything of the game as of a few months ago. I wonder if this is a matter of the two branches working more closely now, or if the Etrian team just plays things with things not as close to their chest.

FluxWaveZ

Still, this seems pretty surprising compared to how Persona 5 was/is being handled. I don't know if they've finally seen it, but they still hadn't seen anything of the game as of a few months ago. I wonder if this is a matter of the two branches working more closely now, or if the Etrian team just plays things with things not as close to their chest.

The fact that two development studios are working together rather than this just being Atlus might be a factor. Persona 4 Arena (ASW x Atlus) only had a two-week release discrepancy, and Ultimax had a similar deal with a difference of only a month (and the added time might have been due to region lock shenanigans).

This also might be why we're seeing hints of a localization for the EO Mystery Dungeon game before hearing about Untold 2, which is only an Atlus game.

Zweizer

Banned
So Untold 2 sold like shit, I wonder if it's because Untold wasn't that great, Persona Q being released so near, or something else.

I'd say a combination of all these factors. Atlus really should have timed things better. I seriously hope this doesn't kill off the chances of a localization
in Europe
It might have some legs due to the rather dedicated fanbase, but yeah, it doesn't look good.

ok thanks i got it now... would never have figured it out though if not for your hint ;P

HOW am i supposed to figure this out though? I mean the first time i went to that huge lava spike, the game told me that there was no way i was going to progress like that and/or that even my ice stake would be no match for it (or something like that) so naturally i left it at that and went to explore the rest of the dungeon, hoping something would come up which it never did :( So i always thought i musta missed something somewhere.

also: why did i need to load up on stakes when in the end all it took was like ONE stake to destroy it?

That's why you musn't be afraid to try and experiment things (aside from challenging bosses and FOEs head-on of course).

I suggested that you stock up on stakes because I was under the impression that you might run out of them before reaching the big one.

Killed the great dragon, but wondering if he'll respawn now or only after I kill all the other dragons?

The dragons should respawn every 14 days like the other bosses.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
It's true! Spring 2015 is as close as we're saying for the date, because video games. No EU release info yet, but as soon as I have an answer....

Do i need to pick a subclass for ALL my characters right now in order to progress at the Sentinel Village or can i pick some later?

I am thinking to wait until i unlock those last 2 classes (Bushi and Imperial i think) to sub some of my characters, or can i change the subclass at any time later?

Do i need to pick a subclass for ALL my characters right now in order to progress at the Sentinel Village or can i pick some later?

I am thinking to wait until i unlock those last 2 classes (Bushi and Imperial i think) to sub some of my characters, or can i change the subclass at any time later?

you can do it later, but remember that you get 5 extra points just by picking a subclass, so I recommend to just choose a subclass and get the extra points.

You can later Rest(lose 2 levels) and change any subclass.

Delstius

You can wait, but you can also change sub-class any time later.

Top Bottom