• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Zweizer

Banned
Do i need to pick a subclass for ALL my characters right now in order to progress at the Sentinel Village or can i pick some later?

I am thinking to wait until i unlock those last 2 classes (Bushi and Imperial i think) to sub some of my characters, or can i change the subclass at any time later?

You can pick them at any time. If you don't want to subclass some of your characters nothing should keep you from doing so.

You can reset the subclass by resting (and thus losing 2 levels, a pittance). Feel free to experiment for the subclasses.

Kirlia

Banned
Is it true that Untold 2 isn't selling well in Japan? Still hoping it comes out here, although with EOMD being announced before it, I'm not terribly optimistic.

Today we got sad and then good news regarding the series, I hope Mystery Dungeon fans + EO fans make a miracle happen.
Is it your first time playing EO3?
Nope. Second time playing it actually.

First time I got to the Abyssal Shrine when I first played it. However while there I was beaten into submission and couldn't finish. There were some damning flaws in my party set-up and skills that I wasn't completely sure how to overcome.

Nope. Second time playing it actually.

First time I got to the Abyssal Shrine when I first played it. However while there I was beaten into submission and couldn't finish. There were some damning flaws in my party set-up and skills that I wasn't completely sure how to overcome.

Did you have a Princess in your team? she makes the main game a joke with Protect Order + Attack Order + Monarch March.

You missed my favorite Stratum in the series, I love EO3's 5th Stratum so much.

Verilligo

Do i need to pick a subclass for ALL my characters right now in order to progress at the Sentinel Village or can i pick some later?

I am thinking to wait until i unlock those last 2 classes (Bushi and Imperial i think) to sub some of my characters, or can i change the subclass at any time later?

Subclass can be changed upon Resting. It will cost you the customary 2 levels, but that penalty is negligible, especially compared to having a free 5 talent points immediately just for picking a subclass.

Did you have a Princess in your team? she makes the main game a joke with Protect Order + Attack Order + Monarch March.

You missed my favorite Stratum in the series, I love EO3's 5th Stratum so much.
Yes had a Princess but it was moreso the other party members were the problem.

Under-powered Yggdroid and a Buccaneer I was terrible with.

Yes had a Princess but it was moreso the other party members were the problem.

Under-powered Yggdroid and a Buccaneer I was terrible with.

Well, I'm sure you're a better player now but you can always show your team and I'll give you some tips if you need any help.

I'm not a big Yggdroid fan so I can see how that didn't work out pretty well. For damage dealing I used an Arablist and she did wonders(I refused to use a Warrior Might party).

Ok EOgaf I need assistance.

I'm aware the "fight and heal" joke comes from game informer, but I can't find the actual review of EO1 from GI anywhere on the Internet and I was curious what the actual context of the statement is. I assume the reviewer was being insulting?

Well, I'm sure you're a better player now but you can always show your team and I'll give you some tips if you need any help.

I'm not a big Yggdroid fan so I can see how that didn't work out pretty well. For damage dealing I used an Arablist and she did wonders(I refused to use a Warrior Might party).
If you will still have me senpai, I'll remember that offer!

tuffy

I'm aware the "fight and heal" joke comes from game informer, but I can't find the actual review of EO1 from GI anywhere on the Internet and I was curious what the actual context of the statement is. I assume the reviewer was being insulting?
I don't think the review in question ever wound up on the internet. But as I recall, I think it's less trying to be insulting and more just being really unimaginative. Like he just didn't know what to make of a game where you have to make your own party and aren't provided some amnesiac hero and his wacky friends to go on a generic RPG adventure story with. So he just named them according to their roles.

Zweizer

Banned
Nah, If it gets the usual treatment, it will be "only" a year from now on. At least that leaves me enough time to complete my backlog from the last few month...

With the low sales, there might be a chance that NISA won't pick it up this time.

I hope I'm proved wrong. Even getting it one year later is better than not getting it at all.

Kirlia

Banned

From what I remember, yes. Very insulting.

I don't think the review in question ever wound up on the internet. But as I recall, I think it's less trying to be insulting and more just being really unimaginative. Like he just didn't know what to make of a game where you have to make your own party and aren't provided some amnesiac hero and his wacky friends to go on a generic RPG adventure story with. So he just named them according to their roles.

Oh, wow. Really good answer! But the review, from what I remember, was pretty much scornful from start to end.

Zweizer

Banned
From what I remember, yes. Very insulting.

Oh, wow. Really good answer! But the review, from what I remember, was pretty much scornful from start to end.

The most I could find about it is in this (amusingly enough, NeoGAF) post, and yes, it's a pretty laughable review.

tuffy

The most I could find about it is in this (amusingly enough, NeoGAF) post, and yes, it's a pretty laughable review.
That's the one! It was basically a reviewer so used to RPGs always being a certain way that he had no idea what to do when something different came along, which we've turned into a running joke.

mrsmr2

I think I subclassed 1 or 2 at the time, and a further 1 later on. I still have 2 not subclassed and I've done everything apart from the very two final bosses (optional boss and final, final boss).

You can always reset skill points and choose a new subclass later anyway.

omlet

Heh, thanks for digging that up. I had done a brief search for info about that reivew while making the CT but didn't find that. I will add it to the FAQ in OP.

Zweizer

Banned
Alright, the Wayback Machine gives the full review, which is as ridiculous as it is short. Clearly they didn't put a lot of effort into it.

Full Review.

Transcript:

A Merciless Antique

There was a time when I couldn’t even play a game without a piece of graph paper by my side. In classic dungeon crawlers and text adventures, knowing your precise location often meant the difference between life and death. Despite the advent of auto-mapping technology, Etrian Odyssey attempts to go back to these ancient conventions – but it loses the nostalgic charm along the way.

Using the touch screen to draw and notate your own map is a fun and natural fit for the DS, but the game built around this function is clunky and unforgiving. Making players do boring fetch quests in areas they’ve already explored isn’t a good way to keep them hooked. Don’t count on the story to keep you going, either; since you create all of your characters, and they are totally interchangeable and anonymous. I had to give my party members names like “Fight” and “Heal” just so I could recognize who should do what in battle.

If you have fond memories of the hardcore dungeon-crawlers from long ago, this title recreates that experience well. I have nothing against games that hearken back to old-school sensibilities, but Etrian Odyssey just feels like an outdated game that snuck onto a modern console.

-JOE JUBA

Second Opinion

Having heard nothing about this game prior to its arrival at our office, I was surprised to find a Bard’s Tale-style, first person RPG on the DS. Unfortunately, my nostalgia-fueled enthusiasm for EO was slowly whittled away by constantly repeating environments, Dragon Warrior-inspired battle presentation, and a complete lack of story. Okay, so maybe some people will consider adventuring into a deep labyrinth to map and catalogue all of its contents reason enough to play through a game, but I call it a boring level grind with little payoff.

-BRYAN VORE

ohlawd

which ones aside of Atelier(fuck it, I'm waiting for the Plus version) and MH4(Day 1)?

I'm excluding MH4 out of the five games since that doesn't have a month

these five I know to have confirmed month dates.

Jan - Atelier Ayesha Plus
Feb - Story of Seasons, Kirby and the Rainbow Curse, Witcher 3
Mar - Atelier Shallie

so it's even worse when I add in Q1 games.

Q2 is good since there's only Arkham Knight on June.

Shengar

That slow moving FOE in 2nd Land first dungeon have blue aura with my current and yet I haven't able to defeat it.
1347764600635.jpg
What is wrong with me? D:

Anustart

Beat Great Dragon twice and Blizzard King once so far. Beat the great one again to use a formaldehyde (anywhere I can get these?).

The other one may be a while, as a lot of my damage comes from land > vanguard, improved link, electric link. But that probably won't work so hot on an electric foe.

Zweizer

Banned
That slow moving FOE in 2nd Land first dungeon have blue aura with my current and yet I haven't able to defeat it.

What is wrong with me? D:

The auras are somewhat misleading. A rule of thumb I use is to take on FOEs in a particular dungeon/stratum only if I've cleared said place (and in the case of EO4, reached the next one).

Beat Great Dragon twice and Blizzard King once so far. Beat the great one again to use a formaldehyde (anywhere I can get these?).

The other one may be a while, as a lot of my damage comes from land > vanguard, improved link, electric link. But that probably won't work so hot on an electric foe.

You can craft Formaldehyde from the Sheep FOEs' drops in the 6th dungeon.

You haven't leveled up other links? Either way, since you've beaten two dragons already, you should be able to level up to 90, so feel free to strengthen your party before taking on the last one.

Laconic

Banned
The auras are somewhat misleading. A rule of thumb I use is to take on FOEs in a particular dungeon/stratum only if I've cleared said place (and in the case of EO4, reached the next one).

You can craft Formaldehyde from the Sheep FOEs' drops in the 6th dungeon.

You haven't leveled up other links? Either way, since you've beaten two dragons already, you should be able to level up to 90, so feel free to strengthen your party before taking on the last one.

I really wish there was an in-game impetus for doing New Game + in EO4.

Actually, I wish there were reworked dungeons, like in the original Legend of Zelda.

THAT, would be dope.

Actually, I wish there were reworked dungeons, like in the original Legend of Zelda.

THAT, would be dope.

a Hard mode would be nice, I wanted to keep playing and making my team stronger but I could already destroy everything so I didn't bother.

Anustart

Question on forging. Is it better if I forge multip atk's on a character that's making use of the links?

Also, does multiple fire on a weapon do more damage, or is 1 fire enough to make that weapon fire elemental, then add +elm on top of that?

Edit: Also, is it better for my arcanist to have a weapon with +tec or +luc if I'm trying to bind? Also, is there a quicker way to level than these golden dream eaters? 50k is low for what I need now :(

tuffy

THAT, would be dope.
The best reason for New Game+ is to get multiples of certain items that only turn up once per playthrough, like Tharsis Wings and Power Gloves. But some sort of branching story path, harder difficulty or different mazes would've made it a lot more compelling.

The best reason for New Game+ is to get multiples of certain items that only turn up once per playthrough, like Tharsis Wings and Power Gloves. But some sort of branching story path, harder difficulty or different mazes would've made it a lot more compelling.

it made sense in EO3 because you pretty much had to do every route to be ready for the post game stuff level wise.

Zweizer

Banned
Question on forging. Is it better if I forge multip atk's on a character that's making use of the links?

Also, does multiple fire on a weapon do more damage, or is 1 fire enough to make that weapon fire elemental, then add +elm on top of that?

Edit: Also, is it better for my arcanist to have a weapon with +tec or +luc if I'm trying to bind? Also, is there a quicker way to level than these golden dream eaters? 50k is low for what I need now :(

Fire/Ice/Volt forges don't affect skills (and ELM don't affect Links), so if you're forging for your Landsknecht, better put ATK. ELM is more useful for a Runemaster or an Imperial.

LUC increases Bind chances twice as much as TEC if I recall correctly, so a weapon with higher LUC should be better for your arcanist.

At your level you should be able to take on shiny Tusked Crushers (the crocodile FOEs in the 3rd land). Golden Goose makes them shiny I think. Just bind their head and things should go pretty smoothly.

Get your Arcanist weapons with Luck, ignore whatever attack they give you since that's useless.

And yes, always forge Attack with your linker.

Anustart

Well, I'm more interested in what to forge on my Nightseeker's weapon. She's making use of the links with her attack that hit's 6 or so times a pop. Atk there too?

Zweizer

Banned
Well, I'm more interested in what to forge on my Nightseeker's weapon. She's making use of the links with her attack that hit's 6 or so times a pop. Atk there too?

If you're referring to Swift Edge, better put ATK forge for your Nightseeker's weapon as well.

Top Bottom