• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

FluxWaveZ

In this Famitsu article, EO series director/scenario writer Shigeo Komori says just a bit about EOV, it seems. Can't read Japanese, but it sounds like the game's just entering active development (so it's most likely not a 2015 game). Also something about "back to basics" and a "pure 3D dungeon RPG."

In this Famitsu article, EO series director/scenario writer Shigeo Komori says just a bit about EOV, it seems. Can't read Japanese, but it sounds like the game's just entering active development (so it's most likely not a 2015 game). Also something about "back to basics" and a "pure 3D dungeon RPG."

back to basics????????

I'm officially in Hype mode.

kanamechan

the fuck does pure 3D DRPG mean?

He means it as in "pure experience of a 3D dungeon rpg", which is a phrase used for games like Etrian Odyssey or Wizardry.

So from the sound of it, he's describing something more like Etrian Odyssey I, not Untold I.

As for classic mode, hey, the classic mode of Untold II is really good. You even get the story mode extra dungeon as quests, including the bosses. Its design is really good so far.

Zweizer

Banned
He means it as in "pure experience of a 3D dungeon rpg", which is a phrase used for games like Etrian Odyssey or Wizardry.

So from the sound of it, he's describing something more like Etrian Odyssey I, not Untold I.

As for classic mode, hey, the classic mode of Untold II is really good. You even get the story mode extra dungeon as quests, including the bosses. Its design is really good so far.

Sounds good. Here's hoping it'll deliver.

Outside of its DLC insanity, Untold 2 seems to be a great improvement on all fronts compared to the first Untold. I wish Atlus could at least confirm that it'd get localized.

kanamechan

The DLC really makes me sad. The Grimoire system really feels as if it's designed around it :/ Still playable, of course, it's just... urgh.

Really hope it gets localized, the gameplay is so much better than EO2 or EOU1. And that EO5 truly delivers. We've been waiting for so long now.

Zweizer

Banned
It would be alright if they were properly developed additional content that expanded the game, but the rate at which they got pushed out, and them apparently locking out sections of the maps, blatantly demonstrates that they're locking content behind paywalls, which makes this DLC implementation one of the most disgusting moneygrabs Atlus has attempted as of late.

I seriously hope they listen to the fans' complaints about it and wisen up.

kanamechan

It would be alright if they were properly developed additional content that expanded the game, but the rate at which they got pushed out, and them apparently locking out sections of the maps, blatantly demonstrates that they're locking content behind paywalls, which makes this DLC implementation one of the most disgusting moneygrabs Atlus has attempted as of late.

Well, one thing is that for the one DLC I foolishly got, it actually un-greyed the grey area i9n that map. So if you don't buy anything, you probably won't see what you are missing, and it'd feel like a complete game. Some maps are just smaller than others.

The bad thing is that buying this one DLC also added a lot of entries into the codex, probably for all the bosses I didn't buy :/

But no, I don't really want to defend it. It's blatant money grubbing in the cheapest possible way even with the above in mind.

kanamechan

The bath DLC only unlocks service if you play Story mode, by the way. For those of us doing Classic only, it doesn't do much more than give a fat toad to fight.

Just a fair warning. :)

kanamechan

I'm still debating about playing Story mode, or both(cause I'm going Classic no matter what).

Other than servicy DLC artwork and an overpowered main character, you lose absolutely nothing playing Classic mode. It really has it all this time around, making it the by far superior way to play Untold. [Edit: For me, I mean. It's of course not objectively superior]

Oh, it's also missing commentary on some of the more colorful dishes...
...Flying Eye burger.... @_@

Shengar

No brakes on the DLC train. Destination: death of the industry

I've seen Yang Wen-li more than one occasion here on Gaf, but never Reinhard before :p

Atlus have sold supplemental, but important story as DLC in SMT IV. That's sucks, but cutting out content on main map is a different thing altogether. If they trend continue, I might just choose to play old games instead >__>

Zweizer

Banned
Well, one thing is that for the one DLC I foolishly got, it actually un-greyed the grey area i9n that map. So if you don't buy anything, you probably won't see what you are missing, and it'd feel like a complete game. Some maps are just smaller than others.

The bad thing is that buying this one DLC also added a lot of entries into the codex, probably for all the bosses I didn't buy :/

Well, that makes it a little less painful. Still a rather awful handling of DLC though, especially the codex tease.

I'm still debating about playing Story mode, or both(cause I'm going Classic no matter what).

We all know you'll still play Story mode just for the sake of getting Arianna in your party~

kanamechan

Well, that makes it a little less painful. Still a rather awful handling of DLC though, especially the codex tease.

Yeah. It has a reason it's currently sitting at only 3 stars in its amazon.jp user rankings, that DLC handling is just *bad*. I REALLY hope they learned from that backlash.

At least they gave patch 1.1 for free.

Zweizer

Banned
The Imperial figure is now on sale!

Z7h3zC7.jpg

5184¥. Around 200 available.

Not sure if Kotobukiya ships overseas.

tuffy

That reminds me I still have to assemble Sniper Girl too.

Still, I'd love to have some more standard figures like Wave was doing years ago.

omlet

Are Wave's figures better than Kotobukiya's?
In general, no, but sometimes some characters only get made by one company so you have no choice. Wave is best known for their 1/10 Beach Queen line, which are small scale swimsuit figures that aren't bad quality, per se, but are rather uninteresting (IMO) and not very detailed. Still can depend a lot on the artist and the look they're going for, and by that I mean in Imperial's case her face is not very detailed but that's not because Koto can't make a good figure, but rather because it's going for a fairly faithful representation of the source art which has a simplistic face design.

As an example, here's a picture I took of one of Koto's figures from 2014 that I have. She's amazing. One of Koto's quality products.

tuffy

Are Wave's figures better than Kotobukiya's?
Wave's ones are your standard pre-painted PVC figures where all you have to do is unbox them and set them up. Kotobukiya's are like Bandai's snap-fit Gundam models. They've been molded in color, but you still have to snip the pieces off runners and piece them together like a Lego set.

The latter have more posing options, but the the former match the line art better.

kanamechan

What. A cool, not servicy figurine, and I just happen to have an empty spot in my new glass cabinet that I wanted to fill?

I think I'll have to order this one :eek:

Zweizer

Banned
In general, no, but sometimes some characters only get made by one company so you have no choice. Wave is best known for their 1/10 Beach Queen line, which are small scale swimsuit figures that aren't bad quality, per se, but are rather uninteresting (IMO) and not very detailed. Still can depend a lot on the artist and the look they're going for, and by that I mean in Imperial's case her face is not very detailed but that's not because Koto can't make a good figure, but rather because it's going for a fairly faithful representation of the source art which has a simplistic face design.

As an example, here's a picture I took of one of Koto's figures from 2014 that I have. She's amazing. One of Koto's quality products.
Wave's ones are your standard pre-painted PVC figures where all you have to do is unbox them and set them up. Kotobukiya's are like Bandai's snap-fit Gundam models. They've been molded in color, but you still have to snip the pieces off runners and piece them together like a Lego set.

The latter have more posing options, but the the former match the line art better.

Thanks for the information. Too bad Wave's figures are sold out.

What. A cool, not servicy figurine, and I just happen to have an empty spot in my new glass cabinet that I wanted to fill?

I think I'll have to order this one :eek:

To be honest I don't think I've ever seen an Etrian Odyssey that's fanservicy.

omlet

Good point. Zweizer, I should add that my post was referring just to pre-painted PVCs, which Koto also makes lots of. The EO figure is actually a model kit, like tuffy explained, so the usual PVC rules don't apply to them.

To be honest I don't think I've ever seen an Etrian Odyssey that's fanservicy.

Yeah, but if you followed figures (specifically the Japanese figure industry) you'd know that most of them are fanservicey, which is what I think kanamechan was getting at.

Zweizer

Banned
Some might argue about the Dancer :p

I wanted to get the Sniper but I prefer non-posable figures.

Sorry, I meant 'Etrian Odyssey figure that's fanservicy' (unless there is a Dancer figure?)

Good point. Zweizer, I should add that my post was referring just to pre-painted PVCs, which Koto also makes lots of. The EO figure is actually a model kit, like tuffy explained, so the usual PVC rules don't apply to them.

Yeah, but if you followed figures (specifically the Japanese figure industry) you'd know that most of them are fanservicey, which is what I think kanamechan was getting at.

How is the build quality of these model kits?

Haha I know. I was just referring to Etrian Odyssey merch in general.

omlet

I don't have any of them so I'm not sure. I would imagine they can't be bad simply by virtue of being a Koto product but I could be way off about that. You might also try asking in the figure/model thread in OTC to hear from people who are more into the model kit side of things.
Come get enabled.

I own Sniper and will have Imperial delivered by the end of the week!
I haven't built SNiper yet 'cause I'm delaying getting into the painting side of plamo but the build quality just from the runners is very good. It's not the same sort of plastic used in a Gundam kit, it's shinier. Kotobukiya is generally well known for their kits being very good and Sniper is no exception.
She comes with a few extra faces to change out which way she's looking but other than that looking at the sample photos is basically a what you see is what you get.

Zweizer

Banned
I own Sniper and will have Imperial delivered by the end of the week!
I haven't built SNiper yet 'cause I'm delaying getting into the painting side of plamo but the build quality just from the runners is very good. It's not the same sort of plastic used in a Gundam kit, it's shinier. Kotobukiya is generally well known for their kits being very good and Sniper is no exception.
She comes with a few extra faces to change out which way she's looking but other than that looking at the sample photos is basically a what you see is what you get.

Yeah I figured there'd be alternate faces for the figures (pretty nice touch by the way). Good to hear that they have good quality.

I guess I'll get one. Just gotta set up an AmiAmi account first.

I don't have any of them so I'm not sure. I would imagine they can't be bad simply by virtue of being a Koto product but I could be way off about that. You might also try asking in the figure/model thread in OTC to hear from people who are more into the model kit side of things.
Come get enabled.

I dunno. I think I might get roped into bankrupting myself with figures if I went there.

kanamechan

Yeah. It's fine that they exist, they just don't look fitting in my little glass case.

But badass imperials do, silly expression or not :D

In other news, really excited for the Mystery Dungeon thing. Finally an Etrian game to play in English, not Japanese :D I'm just too impatient to wait...

omlet

Speaking of that, I didn't get to watch the stream a few weeks ago. I don't think anyone really posted anything in here about it; did anyone watch it? Did it get archived somewhere?

Zweizer

Banned
That's the point. Stop on by :D!

Oh and be sure to do some browsing while you're on amiami looking at the Imperial kit. It can't possibly hurt.

Nooo I won't fall for it!

Speaking of that, I didn't get to watch the stream a few weeks ago. I don't think anyone really posted anything in here about it; did anyone watch it? Did it get archived somewhere?

There was a separate thread about it.

Archived video (Youtube).

Top Bottom