• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

omlet

5 Dancers is an overpowered party tactic, you know. You should be ashamed for allowing your friend to cheese through the game~

I know, my file has a level 99 beat dance party as something I messed with after 100%ing the game, so I told him as much and recommended he not do that for a first playthrough. :p

FluxWaveZ

Cross-posting this here because it's actually fracturing my mind a bit:
I'm slow to this, but I just now realized how 2014 was practically to Etrian Odyssey as 2013 was to Persona.

- The sequel to a spin-off of the series was announced.
- A live stream dedicated to the series took place on November 24th.
- A new spin-off of the series was announced, as a collaboration project between two developers.
- The fifth mainline entry in the series was announced via a short teaser trailer at the very end of the live stream.

That's pretty good.
Standby for an Etrian Odyssey anime series, heh. The CEO did say that Atlus looks forward to more cross-media projects with their own IP after their success with the Persona stuff.

Zweizer

Banned
Cross-posting this here because it's actually fracturing my mind a bit:

Standby for an Etrian Odyssey anime series, heh. The CEO did say that Atlus looks forward to more cross-media projects with their own IP after their success with the Persona stuff.

More promotion for the series is always a good thing as long as it doesn't damage the brand or the quality of the games.

jb1234

Hey, folks. Untold Girl is super cheap ($14.99) on the eStore right now. Should I pick it up? I just started the 2nd dungeon in EO4 and am enjoying it.

(I really want Persona Q but it's still way too expensive...)

CrovaxPSO

Been a fan of dungeon crawlers for a long time but somehow never played any of the EO games. Persona Q finally gave me the kick in the pants I needed I guess, so I bought Untold and IV. I started both of them just to play long enough to open up the streetpass features. Now to decide which to play through first.

omlet

Been a fan of dungeon crawlers for a long time but somehow never played any of the EO games. Persona Q finally gave me the kick in the pants I needed I guess, so I bought Untold and IV. I started both of them just to play long enough to open up the streetpass features. Now to decide which to play through first.

If you started both and aren't feeling a strong preference either way I'd say carry on with Untold (classic mode, I hope!) first since EO1/Untold kind of set the stage for the whole series
and play on expert difficulty if you are not new to the genre :D

CrovaxPSO

If you started both and aren't feeling a strong preference either way I'd say carry on with Untold (classic mode, I hope!) first since EO1/Untold kind of set the stage for the whole series
and play on expert difficulty if you are not new to the genre :D

Yeah, I'm playing on classic since I always prefer to create my own characters. Sticking with Untold does make the most sense, and I've already played it longer since opening up streetpass in IV was really quick.

jb1234

I can't say I'm thrilled with Fire Bulbs in EO4. The assholes just explode and then I die. In fact, most of the monsters in the Misty Ravine are jerks.

jb1234

Head bind them. Misty Ravine's all about them binds,

See, I don't really have a party that does a lot of binding. ;) Landsknecht/Dancer/Fortress/Medic/Runemaster.

I had a Sniper at one point but she was really dragging the party down for the first area so I retired her in favor of the Fortress. Now the latter isn't really doing me any favors.

tuffy

See, I don't really have a party that does a lot of binding. ;) Landsknecht/Dancer/Fortress/Medic/Runemaster.
If you can hold out until about the midway point
you'll get an Arcanist guest character with circles who can bind all of them in one go.
That usually makes life a lot easier.

jb1234

If you can hold out until about the midway point
you'll get an Arcanist guest character with circles who can bind all of them in one go.
That usually makes life a lot easier.

Oh, hell yeah. I've already mapped out the entirety of the first floor so it shouldn't be too long now...

Hey, folks. Untold Girl is super cheap ($14.99) on the eStore right now. Should I pick it up? I just started the 2nd dungeon in EO4 and am enjoying it.
I got it when it was on sale, but for not as much as now, and it was worth it then. So yes, pick it up. Just make sure you have enough room on your SD card... (I need a bigger SD card myself, actually...)

jb1234

Another option is to quickly kill these bulbs before they can explode. They're weak to Ice IIRC.

Yeah, I tried that at first but they still tend to win in the end. I might need to grind a bit. ;)

I got it when it was on sale, but for not as much as now, and it was worth it then. So yes, pick it up. Just make sure you have enough room on your SD card... (I need a bigger SD card myself, actually...)

I picked it up! Tried Story mode but I might have to switch to Classic. I have a very low tolerance to JRPG cliches these days.

Zweizer

Banned
Happy New Year (depending on your timezone)!

eOdu401.jpg

(From Twitter)

omlet

Yeah, having heard nothing yet is a little worrying D:

I just finished up my first playthrough of SMT IV (85 hours......... even though I never did any grinding because I felt like I needed to, thanks to all the demons I wanted to fuse, I think I did more grinding than I really thought I did lol, I was level 98 when I finished). Persona Q is up next on my 3DS list and I'm hoping we hear something by the time I am getting near wrapping that one up.

ohlawd

At least y'all are sure to get Etrian Mystery Dungeon.

I'm getting it first day but won't be able to play ;_;

Atelier Shallie comes out on the same day and I need to sate my desire for moar Atelier ;_;

Codename Steam comes out 3 days later too ;_;

;___________;

Zweizer

Banned
I'm getting it first day but won't be able to play ;_;

Atelier Shallie comes out on the same day and I need to sate my desire for moar Atelier ;_;

Codename Steam comes out 3 days later too ;_;

;___________;

Are you trying to make me hate you?

FluxWaveZ

It'll be announced eventually, of course. The question is when. I don't think EOU2 will be releasing before/in April in North America because of the DS2:RB announcement.

tuffy

Lately their NA releases have been about 6 months after the Japanese release, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case for EO:U 2. Perhaps Atlus is simply putting all their promotional effort into EO: Mystery Dungeon first so that Untold 2 doesn't steal its thunder.

FluxWaveZ

Lately their NA releases have been about 6 months after the Japanese release, so I wouldn't be surprised if that's the case for EO:U 2. Perhaps Atlus is simply putting all their promotional effort into EO: Mystery Dungeon first so that Untold 2 doesn't steal its thunder.

I don't think that's quite true, is it? SMTIV released only 2 months after the JPN release, P4AU released 1 month after the JPN one, EMD will probably release 5 days after the Japan release and DS2:RB will probably be 3 months after. Atlus is getting quite good at relatively quick turnarounds these days, with recent exceptions being PQ at 5 months and potentially EOU2.

kanamechan

Happy new year!

So great to see this series grow. Even Untold 2 is turning out great. I'm just up to Floor 20 (SO PRETTY!), but so far, it feels strictly superior to the original (ignoring microtransactions and Grimoires).

I really like that with every Etrian, the FOEs get more and more map interactivity. If EO5 gets as much love in this regard as PersonaQ and Untold 2 did, then it'll be my favorite Etrian to date.

ohlawd

I rather like it ¯\_( ̄ω ̄ )_/¯

Especially in the second picture.

second pic makes it hard to tell she's got a toothpick waist so she looks better there

or if you want to be romantic, it's because she's under the blanket of a starry sky.

Zweizer

Banned
second pic makes it hard to tell she's got a toothpick waist so she looks better there

or if you want to be romantic, it's because she's under the blanket of a starry sky.

Yeah. Her expression is also less creepy. I'd say that comparatively the first picture's angle is rather unflattering.

Top Bottom