• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Zweizer

Banned
Sorry for the wait. It's been a while since I fought it though, so there might be things I got wrong:

• Your entire party is level 99, right? With chemicals, it's not mandatory, but it helps tremendously to be at least level 90+, especially if your party isn't custom-tailored to deal with it.
  • Make sure to use its pupa phase to boost yourself as much as possible (like setting up Ignition for your Nightseeker, putting down dances and guards for your Fortress, setting up circles, links for your Land). It has 10000 HP, so make sure you time it right to benefit as much as possible from your buffs.
  • Kill its limbs as quickly as possible. The Eye deals more damage the more of them are alive.
  • Party Shield from your Fortress should help for survivality against the limbs.
  • Snare Circle + Squall Volley deals good damage as well.
  • Hygieia’s Bowl and Geo Impact are pretty useful Burst skills. Geo Impact in particular to stun it the turn it opens its eye so that you don't lose your buffs.
  • Buy some elemental Mists to help diminish the damage from its spells.
  • Eat food that buff your elemental resistance. Silver Carp or Dragon Carp in particular.
  • Venom Throw should stick pretty reliability to it. Make sure to use it after it opened its eye. With Foul Mastery, that also means your Nightseeker will do more damage against it.
  • Have your sturdiest member carry an anti-stone accessory if needed.

Anustart

Died again. Tried venom throw on it 5 times, wouldn't hit and that was with the +8 luck accessory. If pretty reliably means almost never then I can see it.

omlet

Your NS needs to have Arcanist sub for their ailments to be reliable. LUC accessory is okay until you have access to Lion Medal, but you have access to Lion Medal now so use that instead.

That, and/or you need to use Releasal Spell. Don't waste TP using Releasal Spell on the buds, but you should hit Pupa and Eye with it ASAP.

Also, in case you missed them due to new page, I replied with some tips in my previous post here.

Zweizer

Banned
Yeah, maybe it's better to subclass Arcanist.

That aside, what was the cause of death? Limbs did too much damage? Elemental spells did too much damage? How much do you manage to heal every turn? Did you try to use Food/Mists for alleviating elemental damage?

tuffy

Edit: I went to make dinner and was thinking about NS/Imp. I haven't tried it but it occurred to me that you may be doing that to equip a drive blade and not use NS sword skills at all but just to stack NS Proficiency skill with Foul Mastery and the high base damage of drive blade skills. On paper, to me, that seems like a pretty weird idea, are you going for Ignition/Overdrive? I guess I can imagine how it might work out, but it just seems like it's pretty slow and hard to set up compared to just using an Imperial main and letting the NS focus on what they do best, ailments followed quickly by hard-hitting attacks that require no warmup before the ailments wear off.
A Nightseeker/Imperial won't get to Ignition; it's just a matter of stacking their class skill on top of big elemental drive damage and finishing things off ASAP. This solo dragon run shows how it works in practice. But as I discovered myself, if that status throw doesn't land things can get very messy.

Anustart

Well switching sub to arcanist has made it worse. Maxed foul mastery and all the others that boost attack with status ailment. And you get one swift edge against him poisoned and it does a whopping 3600 damage, whoopdedoo. Poison then goes away and you do 2400 with it. Someone needs to continually use mists, landsmelter can't get buffs going because you have to kill the tentacles and fortress is guarding in back row. Did about an eighth of an inch of damage before I was again killed :/

Edit: Did better, but I need tp recovery items. Would have had him had I not run out :(

omlet

Alright, I popped my game in and recorded a Warped Savior kill making use of NS. I'm using R and D instead of L and S so our parties differ a bit in terms of damage setup and my team may be better geared than yours, but I hope this video will help. This is my main/original party but both my NS and D are subbing Bushi instead of Arcanist and Nightseeker, respectively (D/B was for Beat Dance experiment party otherwise she'd be D/N). In other words, this isn't even an optimal setup (but it is nevertheless a level cap party with forged weapons).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zp16NM85gpE

I'm going a little bit slow on some of my skill selection since I haven't played this game in nearly a year. I'm blaming that on why I used Party Shield on the turn I stunned him, wasted some turns with my Dancer, and also totally forgot to Blood Surge my Nightseeker (not that I ended up needing to, just that if I had she would have been hitting for more than 4500 damage per hit on that Swift Edge and if Follow Trace had activated they would have killed the eye in a single turn; I've done it before).

This kill took 12 turns but this party (with D/N instead of D/B) has killed this boss in as few as I think 8 turns; 4 turns on pupa (mostly setup/buff turns), 2 on buds, 2 on eye.

I could record more attempts if you want, so maybe I can record an attempt where my NS gets bad luck (and I can't kill buds quickly and have to deal with the eye being open before I'm prepared) and one where she gets great luck (and one-turns the eye with Blood Surge Follow Trace Swift Edge) if you care.

Zweizer

Banned
Well switching sub to arcanist has made it worse. Maxed foul mastery and all the others that boost attack with status ailment. And you get one swift edge against him poisoned and it does a whopping 3600 damage, whoopdedoo. Poison then goes away and you do 2400 with it. Someone needs to continually use mists, landsmelter can't get buffs going because you have to kill the tentacles and fortress is guarding in back row. Did about an eighth of an inch of damage before I was again killed :/

Edit: Did better, but I need tp recovery items. Would have had him had I not run out :(

If you invested some points into Follow Trace, you can hope for Swift Edge to proc twice.
Your Sniper should be able to deal with the tentacles with Squall Volley + Snare Circle.
Stock up on Amrita II (the materials for it are in Echoing Library BF2) for TP, along with Mists, Medicas, Nectars, Thearicas and such. Don't hesitate to fill your inventory for this boss.

Zweizer

Banned
Killed the warped savior. Guess I'm waiting til whenever 5 is released for my next eo fix :( goodbye sweet prince.

Congratulations!

There are always more adventures available to you if you so wish! Do not hesitate to ask us if you wish to embark on a new journey alongside FIght and Heal, or you can take a well-deserved break for now.

Anustart

Congratulations!

There are always more adventures available to you if you so wish! Do not hesitate to ask us if you wish to embark on a new journey alongside FIght and Heal, or you can take a well-deserved break for now.

My sniper hit 99 after the fight and I just felt he wasn't doing much. So I retired him her for a rune master I named Magic :3

Edit: Actually, all of my party is women, their portraits look way better.

Zweizer

Banned
My sniper hit 99 after the fight and I just felt he wasn't doing much. So I retired him her for a rune master I named Magic :3

Edit: Actually, all of my party is women, their portraits look way better.

Haha, I'm the same. I think most of us prefer Himukai's female characters' designs.

fuck you Chameleon King.

that is all

I remember this guy. I had to level my party a bit before I managed to take it down.

yeah the most annoying part about it actually was that he came out of fucking NOWHERE! Here i was doing my quest, chasing those cuffs for the Count or whatnot, when suddenly BAM! FOE/miniboss fight out of nowhere and a damn annoying one too... managed to kick his ass in the meantime but still ;)

ijed

Hey peeps.

Just finished PQ and played all the EO series and the thing I love about them are the map puzzles. I loved the sailing and balooning in EO3+4 and wondering where they get all their ideas for these puzzles ... Is there an earlier game that uses these mechanics? Maybe some old pen and paper RPGs? Slideblock puzzles? Would to research more about them.

Cheers

Hey peeps.

Just finished PQ and played all the EO series and the thing I love about them are the map puzzles. I loved the sailing and balooning in EO3+4 and wondering where they get all their ideas for these puzzles ... Is there an earlier game that uses these mechanics? Maybe some old pen and paper RPGs? Slideblock puzzles? Would to research more about them.

Cheers

There's definately old reliables in there, (I mean, I notice some retreads) but so many new nasty surprises as well in every game.

spiritfox

Hey peeps.

Cheers

EO is directly influenced by the Wizardry games, which continued to have a cult following in Japan even after the series stopped in the West. Other similar games that followed are 80s and 90s CRPG dungeon crawlers like Ultima Underworld and Eye of the Beholder, and early first person JRPGs like Phantasy Star and, yes, SMT. Modern DRPGs are also a result of those games, with stuff like the Experience Inc. games from Japan and Legend of Grimrock in the West. Honorable mention to Might and Magic X because while it isn't a DRPG, it has many similar concepts, and there's not much of these types of games coming out from the West.

Hey peeps.

Cheers

It's all inspired from Wizardry, kinda unrelated but check out Legend of Grimrock 2 if you want some awesome Dungeon Crawling.

img_dancer_main-character02.png

:)

ijed

Thanks for all the suggestions. Wizardry and Ultima I have been meaning to check out.
I played a bit of Legend of Grimlock and it had some cool puzzles - will have to give it another go.

Dark Spire as well. I just find Etrian just has that perfect blend of puzzle and DRPG with a nice pacing that's easy to chill out and play but I should make an effort to go back to it's roots and see what inspired it :)

As i am progressing slowly but surely through the Echoing Library and having fun semi-casually playing this i am wondering:

1) So far i always had my L equipped with 1 Sword and a Shield, what will dual wielding do to him as far as Linking is concerned? Is that recommended? My Dancer works fine like that obviously since the goal is to get as many attacks out as possible with her.

2) What would a decent subclass for L be? Since i am mainly using him for Links i can't think of anything that would compliment that? (unless multiple attacks of the Dancer would somehow tie into Linking for the Link initiator himself?

tuffy

As i am progressing slowly but surely through the Echoing Library and having fun semi-casually playing this i am wondering:

1) So far i always had my L equipped with 1 Sword and a Shield, what will dual wielding do to him as far as Linking is concerned? Is that recommended? My Dancer works fine like that obviously since the goal is to get as many attacks out as possible with her.
Counter-intuitively, though there are skills that offer benefits when equipping multiple weapons (like the L's Weapon Parry or Bushi's Defiance), you don't actually attack with both of them unless you have the Nightseeker skill Blade Flurry.
2) What would a decent subclass for L be? Since i am mainly using him for Links i can't think of anything that would compliment that? (unless multiple attacks of the Dancer would somehow tie into Linking for the Link initiator himself?
Bushi is a good subclass anytime you just want to pile on more damage. Blood Surge, Power Boost, Auto-Surge, Endure and Ferocity all come in handy.

Zweizer

Banned
I still remember she was like one of the first figures made too from the series.

Well, it's safe to say that they are among the most recognizable characters of the series.

1) I don't recall dual wielding Landsknecht gaining any additional hits. It can be useful for extra Attack through forged ATK slots though.

2) Generally it's recommended to subclass either Runemaster or Bushi. Runemaster in particular for Runic Flare since you're running a Linksknecht.

PK Gaming

Runemaster is also a good subclass for jacking up the elemental damage from links.

Runic Gleam 2/3
TP Boost 1/4
Runic Shield 2/2
Free Energy 1/3
Runic Guidance 1/3
Runic Flare 4/5

That's the basic set up. You can add more points into the skills that aren't maxed out, but make sure to check out the EOIV skill point calculator to see if it's worth it, because the % distribution for some skills are wonky (the difference between Runic Flare 4/5 and Runic Flare 5/5 is literally 1%)

The general flowchart for the L/R is Vanguard > Improved Link > Link of choice. Dancer's and Runemasters can further boost damage with the use of Attack Samba / X runes.

omlet

1) I don't recall dual wielding Landsknecht gaining any additional hits. It can be useful for extra Attack through forged ATK slots though.
Right, anyone can equip two weapons but unless you have N's skill you don't actually attack with the offhand weapon. Equipping an offhand is still useful all the same (forge bonuses as you mentioned). For example my Runemaster dual wields daggers with full ELM forges.

In your case, Winnie, a Landshark can dual wield for offhand forges (the forge power will still boost the attacks of the mainhand, good for any subclass) and to qualify for Bushi subclass's Defiance skill (if you sub B). If you have a Fortress your L doesn't really need a shield; go dual wield.

So the boss of the Echoing Library whom i already forgot the name of since it was so uneventful, was the first boss that did NOT kick my ass the first time i met it ;)

Granted, it one shotted my entire back row once but i managed to luck out and recover from that and beat it :)

Almost disappointed a little that it wasn't as tough as Hollow Queen or Boiling Lizard at the time!

Why do i manage to stun an enemy 8/10 times or so in random battles with my dancer's normal attack but in that long ass bossfight against that statue i didn't even manage to stun him ONCE with what must have been a TON of hits? Does Mist Dance work a certain way with bosses? Do they just have a sort of resistance against that stun effect?

Also: Which forge element is better to use on my L's weapons? STR or ATK? I mean ATK adds visibly to my attack stat but what does STR do then actually in terms of raw attack power?

spiritfox

Why do i manage to stun an enemy 8/10 times or so in random battles with my dancer's normal attack but in that long ass bossfight against that statue i didn't even manage to stun him ONCE with what must have been a TON of hits? Does Mist Dance work a certain way with bosses? Do they just have a sort of resistance against that stun effect?

Also: Which forge element is better to use on my L's weapons? STR or ATK? I mean ATK adds visibly to my attack stat but what does STR do then actually in terms of raw attack power?

Bosses have higher resistance against all status effects, including stun.

Zweizer

Banned
well crap, i was pretty sure someone here suggested that even bosses would get stunned reliably with Mist Dance hmm...

There are limits to how reliable it can be, as otherwise it'd get too abusable.

As for forges, STR adds to your STR stat, which can be useful for some other factors, but ATK increases your damage output more, so if you only care about dishing out more damage, go with ATK forges.

omlet

I gave EOIV to a friend for Christmas this year. I opened it and started a game and made a team of 5 dancers
(all pink haired ones of course)
with their names creating a seasonal greeting and told him to be sure to load the file before starting a new game. :>

Merry Christmas everyone and thanks for contributing to making this thread a success.

Zweizer

Banned
I gave EOIV to a friend for Christmas this year. I opened it and started a game and made a team of 5 dancers
(all pink haired ones of course)
with their names creating a seasonal greeting and told him to be sure to load the file before starting a new game. :>

5 Dancers is an overpowered party tactic, you know. You should be ashamed for allowing your friend to cheese through the game~

Top Bottom