• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

FYI - reviews should start hitting Monday morning!

I made a fun prediction with my brother saying this would be the best reviewed mystery dungeon game in NA. I suppose they don't typically score very high in general anyway so it might not be too difficult for that to happen, but still, I think Etrian Odyssey marries with mystery dungeon quite beautifully.

spiritfox

Oh hey look what I found.
PSvIzCG.jpg

Zweizer

Banned
Meanwhile us EU folks be twiddlin' our thumbs.

At least I can take solace in knowing that they're working on bringing it over.

spiritfox

Any chance you live in the New England states? Apparently they're the most illiterate when it comes to reading street dates.

Good on you for finding an early copy!

No, I'm in South East Asia. We're not very good at reading too :p

Hope I'm not causing any trouble for Atlus or anyone.

atlusprime

Atlus PR
No, I'm in South East Asia. We're not very good at reading too :p

Hope I'm not causing any trouble for Atlus or anyone.

Nah, not so bad. Apparently a bunch of retailers in the northeast decided to release PQ a week or so ahead of street date. THAT caused some trouble.

Im defo getting the soundtrack from play asia or amazon jp.

I didn't see any Etrian artbooks in singapore last week. I did find some Megaten stuff but they didn't have stock for the apparent EOIV book. :(

I did see the JP copy of EOU 2 with a book in store and 2 stores there had the EMD videos on a big screen for promos on loop. Was really cool.

spiritfox

Im defo getting the soundtrack from play asia or amazon jp.

I didn't see any Etrian artbooks in singapore last week. I did find some Megaten stuff but they didn't have stock for the apparent EOIV book. :(

I did see the JP copy of EOU 2 with a book in store and 2 stores there had the EMD videos on a big screen for promos on loop. Was really cool.

Where in Singapore? I normally just import my JP artbooks via Playasia.

Where in Singapore? I normally just import my JP artbooks via Playasia.

I usually spend a few hours in Kinokuniya at Takashimaya for their game guides and artbooks. This time I discovered there's a whole section for JP guides + artbooks and overspent lol. I checked the one at liang point as well. They had Etrian IV in their system (i think) but it was out of stock. Apparently there's one with EO1,2,3 art as well out there.

spiritfox

I usually spend a few hours in Kinokuniya at Takashimaya for their game guides and artbooks. This time I discovered there's a whole section for JP guides + artbooks and overspent lol. I checked the one at liang point as well. They had Etrian IV in their system (i think) but it was out of stock. Apparently there's one with EO1,2,3 art as well out there.

Oh, that Kino was under renovation for much of last year so I didn't go there for a while. I need to visit again.

omlet

I won't be playing EMD much at home because of DFO but I just put in my order so I'll be playing it when I can, like on lunch breaks and stuff
or instead of sleeping.

I won't be playing EMD much at home because of DFO but I just put in my order so I'll be playing it when I can, like on lunch breaks and stuff
or instead of sleeping.

I'm so busy with work and studying these days that I'll also struggle to find a way to play the game, but fuck sleeping I guess.

After all my essays are done, I think I'm gonna go back to playing my first playthrough of EO3. I did the first few floors a few months back. I need some Etrian in my life while I wait EMD EU.

In EO3, regarding the Murotsumi guild;
I just wanna make sure I understand this properly, if I tell Agata, Agata dies, but if I don't tell him, Hypatia dies?
Also is there any benefit choosing one over the other or does it not really matter for anything?

Zweizer

Banned
I just wanna make sure I understand this properly, if I tell Agata, Agata dies, but if I don't tell him, Hypatia dies?
Also is there any benefit choosing one over the other or does it not really matter for anything?

There's no particular benefit, so just choose whatever you like best.

omlet

You're correct and it doesn't change the story later on for anything else. Just goes to show that the labyrinth is a dangerous place, which is something also true in the first two games but EO3 really drives it home with that subplot in a way the first two didn't.

Nachos

For those interested, I Interviewed Nich and John at Atlus about localisation and more. The Interview was focussed on Etrian Mystery Dungeon but has some more information about general localisation and a few other Atlus titles - http://www.godisageek.com/2015/04/atlus-interview-localisation-special/
Awesome. The guys over at S.Link FM have had them both on their podcast a few times now, and they always seemed cool. Plus, it's always fascinating to hear about the localization process.

EDIT: Though now that I've read it, I don't think Ace Attorney was a great example of not adhering to the tone of the game. The localization choices made for the first game fit perfectly, even if the changes challenged your suspension of disbelief with each progressive entry. It made sense for that series specifically, much in the same way Atlus presumably decides whether or not to keep honorifics on a series-by-series basis. There's a time and place for pretty much everything.

Zweizer

Banned
Pretty good interview. I find it interesting that localizations aren't dependent on Japanese sales.

I don't know why people always think they would be. Localization decisions have to do with whether the cost of a localization will produce a sufficient return in sales. Japanese sales are one data point in the calculation of whether they would be, but hardly the only one.

Zweizer

Banned
I don't know why people always think they would be. Localization decisions have to do with whether the cost of a localization will produce a sufficient return in sales. Japanese sales are one data point in the calculation of whether they would be, but hardly the only one.

Well yeah, I wasn't assuming that sales were the only factor in whether a game gets localized or not, but the interview made it sound like they weren't a factor at all, which is what surprised me.

Well yeah, I wasn't assuming that sales were the only factor in whether a game gets localized or not, but the interview made it sound like they weren't a factor at all, which is what surprised me.

Well, I mean, what information are you going to usefully draw from that data? Like, if you can't specify a chain of logic that dictates exactly how a specific level of Japanese sales would influence the localization choice, it doesn't really seem like there's a way for it to be an influence. The only one I can come up with off the top of my head is a game that tanks so hard compared to expectations that the company feels like they have to throw out their existing projections for other region releases as well.

Zweizer

Banned
Well, I mean, what information are you going to usefully draw from that data? Like, if you can't specify a chain of logic that dictates exactly how a specific level of Japanese sales would influence the localization choice, it doesn't really seem like there's a way for it to be an influence. The only one I can come up with off the top of my head is a game that tanks so hard compared to expectations that the company feels like they have to throw out their existing projections for other region releases as well.

Yeah I was mainly keeping games that underperform in mind, and generally I think it's fair to assume that (new) games that are a hit have better chances of getting localized. It can be hard to not believe that sales played a role for the games that get a localization more than half a year later.

I'd think that games being a HUGE hit in Japan get a better chance, but then we see games that are crazy popular in Japan bomb over here, so it makes sense.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!

Sometimes its actually the opposite seeing how titles with abysmal sales / reception in Japan have been brought out to the US.

Mind Zero
Tokyo Twilight Ghost Hunters

Are two recent examples.

Top Bottom