• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

All I want is that OST because Arianna eating cake is all I need in my life.

Even if I already have this High Res version for all my special needs:

01.png

The stars in her eyes drive me crazy for some reason.

Also, in case anyone is wondering it has 7 tracks.

Sölf

So, I am currently playing EOU (Storymode, reached 7F) and EO3 (my solo princess challenge). I only played EOU until after Cernunnos, so I will be there soon. As for my solo challenge, I reached 6F. Does the Blue Arm from the blue starfish monster has a special drop condition? I need that for new gear but it doesn't drop. The wiki doesn't say anything, so it might just be really low. As for the floor itself, High Onnep is the most dangerous enemy, as he deals 40+ damage even after Guard Order (so I can't outheal him unless I use items or Second Wind). Other enemies are not that dangerous, but everything takes ages. I can even kill the crocodile FOEs, but it takes around 100 turns to actually kill one. I need a new weapon! xD

Zweizer

Banned
That's a thing people do to figures? I never knew that.

Gotta protect all that paint I put so much work into!

Sölf;157715515 said:
So, I am currently playing EOU (Storymode, reached 7F) and EO3 (my solo princess challenge). I only played EOU until after Cernunnos, so I will be there soon. As for my solo challenge, I reached 6F. Does the Blue Arm from the blue starfish monster has a special drop condition? I need that for new gear but it doesn't drop. The wiki doesn't say anything, so it might just be really low. As for the floor itself, High Onnep is the most dangerous enemy, as he deals 40+ damage even after Guard Order (so I can't outheal him unless I use items or Second Wind). Other enemies are not that dangerous, but everything takes ages. I can even kill the crocodile FOEs, but it takes around 100 turns to actually kill one. I need a new weapon! xD

Blue Arm apparently just has a low chance of dropping (~10%).

omlet

Sölf;157715515 said:

You're nuts lol

Sölf

Blue Arm apparently just has a low chance of dropping (~10%).

I got two of them a few minutes later. If course I died then and had to refarm... xD

Currently level 36 and exploring 6F. I am eagerly awaiting my farmer team to get me some Abyssal Twigs for a new weapon (which increases my ATK from 116 to 164).

You're nuts lol
Eh, they are pretty easy. I just have to actually use a medica or two and heal with second wind quite a bit. They just don't take any damage at all... xD

tuffy

My copy should arrive some time this week so I can compare. In a curious bit of tradition, the original artbook also covered both Etrian Odyssey 1 and 2. I'm at a loss as to what could be in this one to make it so massive.

spiritfox

I wonder if they included the first artbook into it. Maybe someone with actual moonrunes skills can check...

(Parakeetman, halp.)

I liked the first artbook. So many artworks and concept art, and a whole section just for unimplemented sketches. It's amazing how much they put inside such a thin book.

Zweizer

Banned
I liked the first artbook. So many artworks and concept art, and a whole section just for unimplemented sketches. It's amazing how much they put inside such a thin book.

It's also interesting when elements from these sketches get referenced in later installements. I hope we'll get more of these in future artbooks~

(Though as the games gain in complexity, they might get a bit too packed if they include scrapped materials on top of the in-game ones.)

How did I miss this?

I love it.

I knew you would~

Effect

EO4 is still on sale I believe but even though I played the demo I'm still not sure on something. How strong is the story in the game? I get that characters themselves you create won't do anything and it's the "guild" or "team" that gets sent on missions and I guess whoever is in charge (you) gets spoken to but overall is the story worth experiencing or is it just the grind one has to like as that's all there is?

EO4 is still on sale I believe but even though I played the demo I'm still not sure on something. How strong is the story in the game? I get that characters themselves you create wont' do anything and it's the "guild" or "team" that gets sent on missions and I guess whoever is in charge (you) get spoken to but overall is the a story worth experiencing or is it just the grind one has to like as that's all there is?

It has a decent story.
You discover more and more about the world and its inhabitants as it progresses. There are villains along the way and little twists.
It's not going to be wordy and overly dramatic, but it's solid and definitely there. The focus is just on the gameplay.

Nachos

EO4 is still on sale I believe but even though I played the demo I'm still not sure on something. How strong is the story in the game? I get that characters themselves you create won't do anything and it's the "guild" or "team" that gets sent on missions and I guess whoever is in charge (you) gets spoken to but overall is the story worth experiencing or is it just the grind one has to like as that's all there is?

It has a decent story.
You discover more and more about the world and its inhabitants as it progresses. There are villains along the way and little twists.
It's not going to be wordy and overly dramatic, but it's solid and definitely there. The focus is just on the gameplay.

Yeah, the story is mostly meant to serve as a through-line for pushing you through otherwise unrelated areas and to offer context for your next goal. What is there is well-written, but it's still secondary to the gameplay. That said, I don't know if I'd recommend sticking to the game if the story is the only thing that'd keep you playing.

Though I don't know if you meant "grind" in the sense of just playing the game without a ubiquitous story, or in the sense of actually grinding through the same areas to level up, but you should never need to do the latter if you explore everywhere and complete all of the side quests as they pop up

The combat does open up a lot more after you unlock the second tier of skills, but I'm pretty sure those are locked in the demo, right?

If you want a heavy narrative game with plot twists and cut scenes, don't play EO4; but if what you want is a rewarding game that has an awesome setting and atmosphere, brilliant combat system, and amazing music. Check it out; I doubt you'll regret it.

The Etrian Odyssey games go for a “less is more” kind of narrative which I love, you are not a chosen one, you just have a guild with a bunch of nobodies and go into this mysterious land to find out what’s going on, and it’s always quite rewarding.

EO taught me that games that you only play to get to the next part of the story are crap(like Tales lol), these games are great because you don’t play them for the story, you play them because the gameplay is amazing.

Also, the ending of EO4 still made me cry, the story is awesome.

I think you're limited to lvl10 in the demo.

Yeah level 10 was the max.

Here's a little bit of fun info. If you played the demo for EO:Untold then you have a quick way to kill your save and delete all your progress. Starting a new game from that save will over write anything you already have and set you back to ground zero. I love my son but I hurt on the inside for loosing 30 hours of story mode progression. Now I'm just going through easy mode on classic just to try and catch up.

spiritfox

Here's a little bit of fun info. If you played the demo for EO:Untold then you have a quick way to kill your save and delete all your progress. Starting a new game from that save will over write anything you already have and set you back to ground zero. I love my son but I hurt on the inside for loosing 30 hours of story mode progression. Now I'm just going through easy mode on classic just to try and catch up.

Ouch. I'll never want to give a copy of a game with a single save to anyone else. At least with Pokemon you'll have to purposely delete the previous save first.

Sölf

Selling equipment, best way to make money. :A

So I reached 9F in my EOU run. Is Golem no longer available without a quest (or was he never available without a quest? I thought he "just stood there" in EO 1)? Because I think I at least found the area where he should be located. No way I can beat him yet, but I was just suprised to see an empty room.

Zweizer

Banned
Sölf;158322577 said:
So I reached 9F in my EOU run. Is Golem no longer available without a quest (or was he never available without a quest? I thought he "just stood there" in EO 1)? Because I think I at least found the area where he should be located. No way I can beat him yet, but I was just suprised to see an empty room.

You need to do the quest that spawns it first, then it'll always be there (after waiting 2 weeks like every boss).

Sölf

You need to do the quest that spawns it first, then it'll always be there (after waiting 2 weeks like every boss).

Okay, thought he was one of the optional bosses that didn't require a quest to spawn (at least some didn't require a quest in EO 1... Manticore maybe?)

Top Bottom