• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

omlet

I don't really agree that EOIII's subclasses making classes "feel more like skill containers". I understand why someone might feel that, but I guess I just value the fact that I have options available to make any class decent compared to EOII's "no class could ever hope to match the Hexer in damage."

Dark Hunter :3

And by options you mean WM party, right? :3

(A lot of my complaints deal with the EOIII lategame, because early on before you get subclassing the classes feel fresh and unique and neat. And once you get subclassing, your options are more limited and you don't have enough skill points to do crazy stuff. It's just later in the game, which is a large chunk of the game, that I feel the class identity and "skill container" thing becomes a problem.)

I can't tell if this person is serious or not? I can understand not liking the new character designs and excessive DLC, but why get mad about the JP version using the original JP names instead of adopting the localized ones? The skill complaints make it seem like this person is just really resistant to change. I only played EO2 once though, so I'm not that attached to EO2's skills, and I didn't play EO1 for long so I wasn't aware of any significant changes in EOU either. I think the only thing I can agree with is that I'm not much of a fan of grimoires "adding" to skill level caps.

I can't tell if this person is serious or not? I can understand not liking the new character designs and excessive DLC, but why get mad about the JP version using the original JP names instead of adopting the localized ones? The skill complaints make it seem like this person is just really resistant to change. I only played EO2 once though, so I'm not that attached to EO2's skills, and I didn't play EO1 for long so I wasn't aware of any significant changes in EOU either. I think the only thing I can agree with is that I'm not much of a fan of grimoires "adding" to skill level caps.

Nachos just posted it so we can laugh, hopefully.

I laughed at "Excessive DLCs. Are you Capcom?"

Nachos

I agree that making subclasses work like EOIV would be for the best, and hope they do that whenever they get around to EOU3.

I don't really agree that EOIII's subclasses making classes "feel more like skill containers". I understand why someone might feel that, but I guess I just value the fact that I have options available to make any class decent compared to EOII's "no class could ever hope to match the Hexer in damage."
Maybe that was the wrong way to phrase it, but I feel like III has the most interchangeability between classes.

Atlus hear more taxes need to have a lot of complaints about the blog, I don't know what you're talking about, there's no reason to buy this game or not, interactive bonus games.

Shengar

Nachos just posted it so we can laugh, hopefully.

I laughed at "Excessive DLCs. Are you Capcom?"

But isn't it the DLCs rather true hyperbole aside? Remembering what I read over in the import thread, it was quite shitty and if Atlus keep it (most likely) that's even more shitty.

But isn't it the DLCs rather true hyperbole aside? Remembering what I read over in the import thread, it was quite shitty and if Atlus keep it (most likely) that's even more shitty.

Oh yeah, the DLC sounds awful and I dislike that the EO series is getting plagued with that shit.

I'm not sure how true it was that like 30% of every floor was DLC or something like that.

What's the consensus on Etrian Mystery Dungeon by Etrian Odyssey fans? I have all Etrian Odyssey games, but that one.

I didn't like it.

Mostly because of the stupid AI and boss battles being eternal, but it's not a bad game.

Screw FOEs and DOEs needing status ailments to be able to damage them at all too.

Finish every EO before you even think about getting Mystery Dungeon.

ohlawd

EMD is okay. I don't regret paying full Canadian price minus 10% off. burnt out after finishing the story so no postgame from me if ever.

the only EO game where I don't fear FOEs because once you stack status effects, they're even easier than mobs >:)

What's the consensus on Etrian Mystery Dungeon by Etrian Odyssey fans? I have all Etrian Odyssey games, but that one.

Well as a European fan... ;-;

I'm gonna get it at some point, I love the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. Though it's weird but I kinda enjoyed the story in those games, so it might be weird without one.

Shizuka

Pulled the trigger and bought Etrian Mystery Dungeon along with Tears to Tiara II. It's the only one I didn't have, might as well get them all (with their launch editions, to boot).

When I saw this dialogue, I realised this is just what the Etrian Odyssey series is all about
wyHPtUwh.jpg

I'm currently on B8F
chasing Olympia and she comes an FOE. Either way the Abyssal Eater purple monster which name just changes whenever it wants to in this series and it wrecks my shit with tear apart. So I've decided to grind a bit to get my level and gear up.
Edit:
Now I'm on Ketos. Cool ass whale design. I got it 3/4 down. I worked out its gimmick. I think I need to grind more for it.

Shengar

When I saw this dialogue, I realised this is just what the Etrian Odyssey series is all about

I'm currently on B8F
chasing Olympia and she comes an FOE. Either way the Abyssal Eater purple monster which name just changes whenever it wants to in this series and it wrecks my shit with tear apart. So I've decided to grind a bit to get my level and gear up.

If Boiling Lizard, Baboon and the goddamned frogs included in that animals, then fuck her.

ohlawd

WOW!! The 4th stratum battle music for EOU is epic!! Even more epic with the head banging boar to go along with it.

4th land music was excellent overall. my fave song of the game is the one that plays in the sub dungeon. it's a little different from the 4th Statrum music

Maybe if I finish EO3, maybe I'll finish EO1U! I got to like mid way through the 2nd stratum? I can't remember why I stopped, I think I left the game at home when I went to uni.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Dark Hunter :3

And by options you mean WM party, right? :3

(A lot of my complaints deal with the EOIII lategame, because early on before you get subclassing the classes feel fresh and unique and neat. And once you get subclassing, your options are more limited and you don't have enough skill points to do crazy stuff. It's just later in the game, which is a large chunk of the game, that I feel the class identity and "skill container" thing becomes a problem.)

I love EO.

I love dual class/job class system like FF V.

I...don't really like them together. Instead of unlimited choice you'd think it delivers it just gives you too many options to put too few points into. You gotta research and figure out what really works in the postgame in 3. (The question is answered by Warmight) and in 4 it went the entirely opposite way as just about every combination was good, but still left you with the feeling that you just didn't have enough points.

Going back to the Untold games was refreshing in that way. Also the story returning back to showing instead of telling.

I love how in EO1 and 2 you couldn't have a team that could cover every single role, the feeling that having a 6th member would make your party "perfect". It really made it so you had to be more careful and strategic as you weren't prepared for every single situation, it also made items more important.

That feeling was lost in EO3/4 as you can be ready for everything.

I'd be 100% fine if they dropped subclassing, but I'm even less of a fan of grimoire stones so I'll take subclassing instead.

Is there a chance we get both? Subclassing + Grimore Stones lol. I kinda hope they go crazy with the classes in EO5 like they did in EO3.

Zweizer

Banned
I wonder if EO5 will introduce a new class system instead of bringing back subclassing and/or grimoire stones, or if it'll go back to the series' roots where no party could be perfect.

All I ask is that Himukai gives us another Shishou cameo.

Nachos

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if a "specialty" system would be better. Basically, give each class a certain general selection of skills exclusive to them, but after a certain point, allow for selecting one of a few focuses that would make the class better at one specific niche, also unlocking more skills to facilitate that. It'd still allow for customization, but it wouldn't introduce any crossover so you can still tailor classes to your playstyle without necessarily becoming too well-rounded.

Rutger

Banned
I...don't really like them together. Instead of unlimited choice you'd think it delivers it just gives you too many options to put too few points into. You gotta research and figure out what really works in the postgame in 3. (The question is answered by Warmight) and in 4 it went the entirely opposite way as just about every combination was good, but still left you with the feeling that you just didn't have enough points.
I can see why someone might not care for that, but I personally love that part of EOIII/IV's team building. Classes in EOI/II are very straightforward making the teambuilding process a little boring imo.

I think it's fun trying to figure out the best way to build a character with all the options available along with the limited number of skill points. EOIII's balance causes some issues, but not everything has to be Warriors Might, there's a ton of different ways to build an effective team(though fighting the Abyssal God might be another story).

But that's just me. I got into the series with EOIII, and getting access to sub-classing is part of what pushed what I saw as a decent battle system into something with enough depth to be one of my favorite turn based battle systems.
I love how in EO1 and 2 you couldn't have a team that could cover every single role, the feeling that having a 6th member would make your party "perfect". It really made it so you had to be more careful and strategic as you weren't prepared for every single situation, it also made items more important.

That feeling was lost in EO3/4 as you can be ready for everything.

I can't think of a more perfect team in the series than EOII with three Hexers, a Dark Hunter, and a Gunner. There's not a thing in the game that can scratch that team, haha.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if a "specialty" system would be better. Basically, give each class a certain general selection of skills exclusive to them, but after a certain point, allow for selecting one of a few focuses that would make the class better at one specific niche, also unlocking more skills to facilitate that. It'd still allow for customization, but it wouldn't introduce any crossover so you can still tailor classes to your playstyle without necessarily becoming too well-rounded.

This is actually how the original EO1 skill tree worked if you think about it.

omlet

So like EOI?

Zweizer

Banned
Get out. Towering Pair is the best. One of the best boss fights in the series, partly thanks to the music.

Along with Destruction Begets Decay, Faith is My Pillar, and End of Raging Winds.

I just like the chiptune simplicity more I guess. Towering Pair felt a bit too busy in comparison. Same reason I like Raging Waves more than Raging Winds.

Destruction Begets Decay and Faith Is My Pillar are my favorites though.

PK Gaming

Having a blast with EOU2, though i'm not sure if I want to stick with Story or go with Classic when I get the game. There's a little too much talking for my taste, though Arianna is great.

Having a blast with EOU2, though i'm not sure if I want to stick with Story or go with Classic when I get the game. There's a little too much talking for my taste, though Arianna is great.

I just finished the demo and enjoyed it as well. Haven't decided if I will get the game yet, or if I will continue with story or go with classic. And I agree, I really don't like having to mash A to get through dialogue. There is a bit too much of mashing A when harvesting resources as well, but I guess that can't be helped.

I also wish there could be an Escape (All) button, so I don't have to set each character to escape if I want to get out of a random battle quickly or whatever.

ohlawd

screw it, I only have one life. JUST BLAAAZE

I'm gonna do Classic mode in Untold. if I can finish then great. if not, whatever. the world's not gonna end.

so far I'm doing
Ronin, Dark Hunter, Troubadour, Hexer and Protector.

I feel like not using P since I kept Raquna as one but if I get rid of it for a Survivalist, I can have an all-star team of classes I haven't used before. I'm a fucking wimp tho. I need dat tank. can't leave home without 'em.

Top Bottom