• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Kirlia

Banned
Saw this on /eog/:

Poll here:
http://strawpoll.me/5286121/

What say you, EOGAF?

I don't do any of those, technically. I use the closed door icon because the open door icon feels weird. I mean, the doors are closed until you open them, and then they're shut again when you turn around. If they're locked with a key/seal, I do the pop up note option.

with the door closed icon, option d, even though coloring the tile makes no difference in my case

Nachos

More importantly, who uses the correct symbol for chests? I mean, of course, the clover.
I used to, until Untold 2 gave context-sensitive chest icons. I also only used to notate which chests were locked, but thanks to Q and U2, I just annotate every chest, since I'll be able to tell what's been opened and what hasn't at a glance.

But what about those of us who already are?
That just means you'll take less work gussying up.

PK Gaming

So it's time to square off against the final boss in EOIII. I'm currently busting my ass to prepare for it, but i'm feeling good about my current squad.

Let's get it

PK Gaming

Which boss are you talking about?

That game has like 4 last bosses.

I took on
Eldest One, the one found in the true ending

Speaking of which, I SCHOOLED that sucker. Actually it was pretty close... it came down to my sole Shogun who managed to clutch it out with Charge + 5 Ring Sword. Thank god for all that preparation...

So yeah, EOIII? Awesome game and i'm super glad you guys pushed me to buy it. Even though I prefer EOIV, I can definitely see myself going back to this game. Man, the Etrian series is goddamn amazing.

kagamin

I took on

Speaking of which, I SCHOOLED that sucker. Actually it was pretty close... it came down to my sole Shogun who managed to clutch it out with Charge + 5 Ring Sword. Thank god for all that preparation...

So yeah, EOIII? Awesome game and i'm super glad you guys pushed me to buy it. Even though I prefer EOIV, I can definitely see myself going back to this game. Man, the Etrian series is goddamn amazing.

Gotta kill them super bosses :p

jonjonaug

So I reached B20F in EO:U and thought to myself "Alright, I'm prepped up with items, got the HP+ bonus, I'm fully healed. I feel pretty good about this. Oh hey is that the boss he doesn't look so tough. Let's just look at the map and...oh. Oh dear..."

What the fuck
19 FOEs
. I'm done for the night.

So I reached B20F in EO:U and thought to myself "Alright, I'm prepped up with items, got the HP+ bonus, I'm fully healed. I feel pretty good about this. Oh hey is that the boss he doesn't look so tough. Let's just look at the map and...oh. Oh dear..."

What the fuck
19 FOEs

Hey at least in Untold it's not like original EO where you had to kill
all of those FOEs
before killing the boss. If you killed the boss and even one was alive it would respawn.

Anteo

I took on

The other 2 final oss fights are so cool and add so much to the story of the game... its a shame that most people go straight to the third ending

Nachos

What the fuck
19 FOEs

mhqh35E.gif

tuffy

The other 2 final oss fights are so cool and add so much to the story of the game... its a shame that most people go straight to the third ending
I didn't know that was a thing. Thanks to New Game+ and auto-battle, getting an end-game party through the storyline again only takes about an hour. No reason not to see all three endings since the amount of stuff New Game+ resets is very small.

spiritfox

I didn't know that was a thing. Thanks to New Game+ and auto-battle, getting an end-game party through the storyline again only takes about an hour. No reason not to see all three endings since the amount of stuff New Game+ resets is very small.

Yup, did 2 other paths in a shorter time than the first, even after retiring my initial party.

Anteo

Those fights and the postgame conversations they unlock ass a little bit extra to the characters too. It also makes more sense than the third ending: for half of the game you have one city aa your ally and one as the enemy, and it ends that way too

spiritfox

... Should I try EOU Classic without a Medic? How much healing does Troubadour do with Echoing Rondo and Medicas? It's kinda of a heavy ental investment though. I don't want to use grimoires unless I have to.

Also, how viable are Dark Hunters with Hexer support? Landing 3 binds just for Ecstasy seem kinda hard, though it seems Viper does decent damage on its own.

Ugh, there just isn't enough variation in EO1 classes. Always seem to end back with the standard PLASM derivative.

Edit: after reading up a bit, I think I'll drop Medic, and see how far I can go with a T.

Nachos

... Should I try EOU Classic without a Medic? How much healing does Troubadour do with Echoing Rondo and Medicas? It's kinda of a heavy ental investment though. I don't want to use grimoires unless I have to.

Also, how viable are Dark Hunters with Hexer support? Landing 3 binds just for Ecstasy seem kinda hard, though it seems Viper does decent damage on its own.

Ugh, there just isn't enough variation in EO1 classes. Always seem to end back with the standard PLASM derivative.

Edit: after reading up a bit, I think I'll drop Medic, and see how far I can go with a T.
It was mentioned a while ago, but dark hunters and hexers have great synergy, and the only reason why I wasn't able to use my hunter throughout the entire game was because Primeval had too much health to take down with burst damage (unless you had Action Boost). He was just fine until then, and that was with me never even touching Ecstasy until I realized how good it was in the 5th stratum.

Anyone that goes for the True Ending of EO3 without at least seeing one of the others(you should see both for the exp, items, and awesome story) is doing it wrong.

Anteo

Echoing rondo will barely be enough. A Ronin's breath and a healing grimore from the 3rd stratum is what I used in my no meduc/no tank run

ohlawd

sorry for doing it wrong ;_;

I'm doing another Caster run on Fate/Extra. when I'm done that, I'll make another EO3 playthrough and
side with the Princess cuz she's so cute <3

spiritfox

It was mentioned a while ago, but dark hunters and hexers have great synergy, and the only reason why I wasn't able to use my hunter throughout the entire game was because Primeval had too much health to take down with burst damage (unless you had Action Boost). He was just fine until then, and that was with me never even touching Ecstasy until I realized how good it was in the 5th stratum.

Whoops, I meant without.

spiritfox

Oh, did they fix EOU2 Survivalists? They are JUNK in the original version of the game.

What about Beasts?

Against physical damage, beasts are superior due to Hit Taker being better against all the AoEs in the game, and their Force Boost actually being useful. Protectors are still better for elemental damage though, but you can grimoire Walls on beasts too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Beasts were a trap when you first played EO2. You look at their movesets and go, wow, this thing can tank for days and do damage! Then you put one into action and learn, yeesh, probably the worst thought out class in the series, including Farmers.

spiritfox

Beasts were a trap when you first played EO2. You look at their movesets and go, wow, this thing can tank for days and do damage! Then you put one into action and learn, yeesh, probably the worst thought out class in the series, including Farmers.

I ran through EO2 with a Lands, a Survivalist, AND a Beast. It's a wonder that I managed to reach Overlord in the first place. I basically scrapped my entire team for the post game.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Lands are at least steady in the original, if nothing special. I went between L/DH/R as my front line to go with Protector and found them all to at least pull their own weight.

I stubbornly tried to keep a frontline medic for too long, but it wasn't that bad in the right party.

PK Gaming

That was definitely a bad decision on my part. Most RPGs condition you to go after the true ending since they're typically the most satisfying and rewarding ending. I assumed it would be the same with EO3 but it was surprisingly... disappointing. I imagine it would be a lot more intense/heartbreaking if I went and actually
sided with the Abyssal King or the Princess
. Ah well, something to look forward to the future then.

Anyone that goes for the True Ending of EO3 without at least seeing one of the others(you should see both for the exp, items, and awesome story) is doing it wrong.

I saw your original post you know :')

wMIu8KS.gif

Okay, I'm at the post game boss of EOIV. Needless to say, it wrecked my party pretty quickly. Everyone's between levels 63-69.

So, things left to do in this game:

- beat all
three dragons
- grind up to 90 (is that enough?)
- finish all side quests
- forge Yggrasil weapons
- finish item compendium
- finish monster compendium
- explore B3F of the last dungeon to
gather chemicals
- beat post game boss

Anything else to do?

Nachos

Okay, I'm at the post game boss of EOIV. Needless to say, it wrecked my party pretty quickly. Everyone's between levels 63-69.

So, things left to do in this game:

- beat all
three dragons
- grind up to 90 (is that enough?)
- finish all side quests
- forge Yggrasil weapons
- finish item compendium
- finish monster compendium
- explore B3F of the last dungeon to
gather chemicals
- beat post game boss

Anything else to do?
Oof, yeah you need to at least be in your 70s to stand a chance against its weakened form, since
without the chemicals, it's really hard at level 99
. Gathering those for the fight is basically the boss' gimmick. Your next order of business should be facing
the dragons, probably the fire one first, since you'll have a great guest attacker helping out the first time you fight it.
I beat that one around level 55–56.

Anteo

That was definitely a bad decision on my part. Most RPGs condition you to go after the true ending since they're typically the most satisfying and rewarding ending. I assumed it would be the same with EO3 but it was surprisingly... disappointing. I imagine it would be a lot more intense/heartbreaking if I went and actually
sided with the Abyssal King or the Princess
. Ah well, something to look forward to the future then.

I saw your original post you know :')

wMIu8KS.gif

The third ending is only satisfying if you alredy played the other two. Does the game reveal the thruth about the princess in the third ending? i cant quite remember

Oof, yeah you need to at least be in your 70s to stand a chance against its weakened form, since
without the chemicals, it's really hard at level 99
. Gathering those for the fight is basically the boss' gimmick. Your next order of business should be facing
the dragons, probably the fire one first, since you'll have a great guest attacker helping out the first time you fight it.
I beat that one around level 55–56.

Thank you. What is a good spot to grind past level 70? I feel like farming golden Sheep in the 2nd Land is still the quickest way to level up.

MightyAlpha

Neo Member
Not sure if it's the right thread, but a heads up for Euro people.
My local Media Markt is selling Etrian Mystery Dungeon way ahead of release date.
fofc7OF.jpg

That said, does anyone have tips for this game? :)

Not sure if it's the right thread, but a heads up for Euro people.
My local Media Markt is selling Etrian Mystery Dungeon way ahead of release date.

That said, does anyone have tips for this game? :)

Congrats dude.
Sovereign is broken. Both in that they do not function properly and you can use them to break the game. Use classes other than this one. Aside from that, all your explorers gain exp even when not in use so make at least 2 parties worth of characters. And finally, DOEs need to be suffering 2 status ailments (binds count as a status ailment) to start taking damage so have a hexer or something be on Fort defense squads.

MightyAlpha

Neo Member
Sölf;176610617 said:
Where do you live?! D:
Utrecht, The Netherlands.

Congrats dude.
Sovereign is broken. Both in that they do not function properly and you can use them to break the game. Use classes other than this one. Aside from that, all your explorers gain exp even when not in use so make at least 2 parties worth of characters. And finally, DOEs need to be suffering 2 status ailments (binds count as a status ailment) to start taking damage so have a hexer or something be on Fort defense squads.

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep those in mind.
I went with a fairly standard party for now. Landsknecht, Medic, Runemaster and Gunner.
Do some classes get exp slower than others? The Gunner is still level 1 while the others are level 3 or 4

Utrecht, The Netherlands.

Thanks for the tips, I'll keep those in mind.
I went with a fairly standard party for now. Landsknecht, Medic, Runemaster and Gunner.
Do some classes get exp slower than others? The Gunner is still level 1 while the others are level 3 or 4

Yeah, not sure why its like that. Leveling rates balance out somewhat eventually though so don't worry about that too much.

yami4ct

Finally digging back into Etrian Odyssey: Untold 1's story mode. Just be Gladsheim Area 1. I forgot how hard not being able to make you own party makes this game. This is not at all the kind of crew I usually run with, so all my usual strategies go out the window.

Story is still decent enough for as standard as it is. Characters are all are pretty fun. I like the more directed nature of it for a change, but I wouldn't want it over standard EO. This is my first time with anything EO1, so it's hard to go back to earlier systems and classes. I really miss sub-classing from EO4 and Grimoire Stones don't come close to replacing them. The last thing this game needs is a randomized grind.

This game also is making me want to go back to EO4 even though I have zero time to replay that game. I miss my Nightseeker/Imperial. I love that class combo so much.

Zweizer

Banned
YESSSSSS

Here's hoping NISA don't have a police force or anything.

Anyways, started with a party of Protector/Gunner/Dancer/Medic. Might be a bit too defense-oriented and lacking in elemental damage (for now, until I unlock elemental bullets). Oh well, I'll adjust as I experiment with it.

Top Bottom