• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

tuffy

I've been doing A because it's the easiest. Putting walls around the doors doesn't feel quite right, and the only floor sections I don't auto-paint by walking over them are hazards.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I remember having a serious internal debate when I first sat down to play EO1 about how I was going to do doors. I started with A, then moved to C sometime on floor 3 and went back and "fixed" 1 and 2 at a later time. C just makes sense with how I think of it and I think it looks good.

I also enclose the staircase on three sides.

Nachos

Sorry for the weird question, but the box "limited edition" that Etrian Mystery Dungeon comes in, is it suppose to be all pixelated? I got the game shipped to me but the box looks like it is a low resolution picture of the actual box art. Though some parts of it are clear, like the Atlus symbol, but the game art isn't.
For whatever reason, all of Atlus' special 3DS boxes are printed at a lower quality than the slip of paper in the actual case. I don't know if it's a matter of it just being printed at a lower DPI, but whatever it is, they usually at least look more aliased than they would otherwise. I remember first realizing that when I saw that PQ's box was more blurry and had more yellowed colors.

I do B.

It seems like I'm a serious minority here. :(
The cartography gods have smiled upon us, dispensing, in their infinite wisdom, the enlightened way of projection. Worry not, my child, for they have been lead astray.

Do we get a group of cute girls to follow us around too?
This is super important.
I'm sure you'll make pretty girls.

Althane

I remember having a serious internal debate when I first sat down to play EO1 about how I was going to do doors. I started with A, then moved to C sometime on floor 3 and went back and "fixed" 1 and 2 at a later time. C just makes sense with how I think of it and I think it looks good.

I also enclose the staircase on three sides.

I agree with your method of drawing the staircases. Not so much the doors (although I can see how that would come to pass).

Half bros?

Edit: another super important cartography question. In the wetter regions, do you draw walls around the islands?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I agree with your method of drawing the staircases. Not so much the doors (although I can see how that would come to pass).

Half bros?

Edit: another super important cartography question. In the wetter regions, do you draw walls around the islands?

If you can't pass it, it gets a wall.

Hubb

For whatever reason, all of Atlus' special 3DS boxes are printed at a lower quality than the slip of paper in the actual case. I don't know if it's a matter of it just being printed at a lower DPI, but whatever it is, they usually at least look more aliased than they would otherwise. I remember first realizing that when I saw that PQ's box was more blurry and had more yellowed colors.

Yeah but this box is... bad. It makes even less sense because some things like titles/words are clear and then one's right next to them are pixelated. I checked out what an actual box in stores looked like and something is fucked about my box. Not sure it is bootlegged, well no it probably is.

D. Walls around the door like those you see in E note one-way doors -- so I'd draw a wall on the side you can't enter, and no wall on the side you can.

Also, I only us the 'door' symbol for actual doors -- things like places where you can find secret doors to open I use an arrow instead of the door symbol, with the arrow pointing from the direction I opened it from, to the side it goes to. Then delete the wall on the side(s) you can enter the passage from.

Zweizer

Banned
Man,
Heavenbringer
(EO IV last story boss) is a fucking pain. I managed to get to his
Bare Essence form
and bind his head and almost kill him but it wasn't quite enough and I just ran out of TP. Don't think I can be arsed to do that fight anytime soon again. :/

Anteo

Man,
Heavenbringer
(EO IV last story boss) is a fucking pain. I managed to get to his
Bare Essence form
and bind his head and almost kill him but it wasn't quite enough and I just ran out of TP. Don't think I can be arsed to do that fight anytime soon again. :/

I remember I accidentanly triggered a rematch when I wasnt ready and I got bodied. I didnt beat it on my first time eitehr

jonjonaug

Question regarding EO:U. I'm playing on Normal mode, and was offered a continue after a death (didn't realize that I'd be thrust into a battle gauntlet with no warning for a quest, monsters got lucky and pulverized my front line in one turn). Is that one continue per dungeon delve after resting, or is it only one continue for the whole game?

Zweizer

Banned
Let's ask the real question: How do you mark traps and damage tiles?

Never with the alternate colors.

I mark damages tiles and the likes with alternate colors. The rest (mostly 'single' tiles, like pitfalls and teleporters) depends on the icons available.

I only note chests and doors that need to be unlocked.

I do that too. You really need to for the chests because there's no alternate icon like for the doors.

Sölf

I mark damages tiles and the likes with alternate colors. The rest (mostly 'single' tiles, like pitfalls and teleporters) depends on the icons available.

I do that too. You really need to for the chests because there's no alternate icon like for the doors.

I just write down what's in there. So, if it doesn't have a text I know I haven't opened that one yet! Or the reverse for doors, if it has text I know it's a special door.

kagamin

I put event (text) tiles for traps an such, and if there is a little lock icon then I denote locked doors with that, otherwise it's just text messages left for myself.

MrDoctor

OH FUCK I REALLY DID IT! Colossus is down!

I don't know what people say about Scylla. This was the real motherfucker of the game.

spiritfox

Question regarding EO:U. I'm playing on Normal mode, and was offered a continue after a death (didn't realize that I'd be thrust into a battle gauntlet with no warning for a quest, monsters got lucky and pulverized my front line in one turn). Is that one continue per dungeon delve after resting, or is it only one continue for the whole game?

Normal gives you a continue? I thought that was Picnic only. That should activate for every battle you lose IIRC.

tuffy

Normal gives you a continue? I thought that was Picnic only. That should activate for every battle you lose IIRC.
Normal gives a single continue, then it's game over with an option to save the map as usual. I think it's once per trip, but definitely not once for the whole game.

spiritfox

A currently, but I did use to do D.

I really need to see a survey of what people actually use what icons for what on maps as well. Because I always think I'm doing it wrong/badly. But hey, I'm the only one reading the map.

Well, it's your map. As long as you understand it it's fine.

But A? That's just wrong.

Top Bottom