• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

So finally grabbed a copy of EO3. Loving the Intro so far. Got my party up: gladiator, hoplite, zodiac, farmer and ninja.

I'm doing the intro mission of making the first floor. I'm already terrified of mapping my own walls, something I didn't need to worry about in the 3DS EO games.

Any tips for beginners for party, skills and mapping?

spiritfox

So finally grabbed a copy of EO3. Loving the Intro so far. Got my party up: gladiator, hoplite, zodiac, farmer and ninja.

I'm doing the intro mission of making the first floor. I'm already terrified of mapping my own walls, something I didn't need to worry about in the 3DS EO games.

No healer? The first few levels are going to be rough. At least your front row is pretty tanky. Also, Farmer is a pretty gimmicky class, so unless you are confident I won't use it in your main party.

No healer? The first few levels are going to be rough. At least your front row is pretty tanky. Also, Farmer is a pretty gimmicky class, so unless you are confident I won't use it in your main party.

Would the monk be a healer?

Edit: and I just got killed by a family of platypuses.

MrDoctor

I recently restarted an EOIII playthrough from 2010 in an attempt to finally finish the game. Not an expert by any means, but I'll try giving some tips based on what I've learned so far:

• You'll want to do the bar quests and sailing early on for the EXP and forging hammers, the latter being invaluable as you progress further
  • When indecisive, apply volt or blind to your weapons when forging
  • Ninjas will only really be good for putting enemies to sleep right now when there's so few skill points to work with. I recommend swapping in an Arbalist with Giant Kill if you need more damage
  • Hoplite's focus should be mastering Line Guard
  • Dump your Zodiac's points into learning Singularity. It is one of the best skills in the game. You'll also want a spell that targets all enemies

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If you're using a Zodiac when you get to subclass you could do worse than becoming an Arbalist just for a solid backrow weapon!

Zweizer

Banned
Man the music for the Haunted Forest and Animal Trails is so fucking grating. Like, it'd work well if it only played while a DOE was on the floor, but playing that for the entire dungeon gets tiring real fast.

Escalario

Banned
Got EMD \o/
Made a party of Landsknecht, Gunner, Medic and Runemaster, and got my first real mission.
Kasumi's a qt3.14 She made a lunch for my group :D

Man the music for the Haunted Forest and Animal Trails is so fucking grating. Like, it'd work well if it only played while a DOE was on the floor, but playing that for the entire dungeon gets tiring real fast.

Yeah, a bunch of the dungeons use music that gets grating quickly. It's worth it in the end though. The remixes to come all make up for it.

spiritfox

The Adventures of Team Spiritfox! (or, how I finally got my ass off to go play EOU)

I got to F30 in EO2U and got a bit bored, so I decided to finally restart playing EOU. I got to the 3rd stratum on story the last time round before losing interest, so hopefully I can finish the game in Classic this time round. I'm also trying to use classes I don't really use, like Dark Hunter and Alchemist. So here are the awesome members of Team Spiritfox!

iCbowQP.jpg

• Zweizer the Protector, greatest teacher and leader, savior of Etria etc.
    (not really)

• Nachos the Dark Hunter, steadiest whip in the East.

• SliceSabr the Ronin, whose real name Etrians cannot comprehend (cause they don't have enough characters to fit).
  • Omlet the Alchemist, who cooks omelettes with his hands (OK, I admit this is lazy as hell. I just wanted to a name for him and Omlet just came to mind).

• And finally, Mau-chan the Troubador, of course.

So far the team has made it to B2 and stared down a giant deer. I wanted to start on expert, but the first battle made me realize that without a medic it'll be kinda painful. I might switch back to expert when Mau-chan gets some healing skills. Also, man I forgot how boring the 1st floor is in EOU.

Zweizer

Banned
Yeah, a bunch of the dungeons use music that gets grating quickly. It's worth it in the end though. The remixes to come all make up for it.

Yeah, I rather liked the remixes before then. I'm sure there are far more good tracks than bad, but this 4th dungeon's theme is just stupid.

The Adventures of Team Spiritfox! (or, how I finally got my ass off to go play EOU)

I got to F30 in EO2U and got a bit bored, so I decided to finally restart playing EOU. I got to the 3rd stratum on story the last time round before losing interest, so hopefully I can finish the game in Classic this time round. I'm also trying to use classes I don't really use, like Dark Hunter and Alchemist. So here are the awesome members of Team Spiritfox!

• Zweizer the Protector, greatest teacher and leader, savior of Etria etc.
    (not really)

Yaay~ \ ( ⌒∇⌒) /

I'm so cute~

[*]And finally, Mau-chan the Troubador, of course.
[/LIST]

So far the team has made it to B2 and stared down a giant deer. I wanted to start on expert, but the first battle made me realize that without a medic it'll be kinda painful. I might switch back to expert when Mau-chan gets some healing skills. Also, man I forgot how boring the 1st floor is in EOU.

I'm always the Kawaii as fuck buffer class. <3

I'm so cute~

I'm more cute.

yami4ct

Should we be hearing more about EOV soon? I sure hope so. Really need that game ASAP. I know Atlus showed off EOU2 last year at TGS, so hopefully we'll get some info coming out in the next few weeks.

Nachos

All right, best dark hunter, let's go! Though I like the idea of the character limit not existing because of software limitations, but because even one extra letter would slowly break apart existence.

That Persona stage show is gonna turn out to be actually for EOV.

Believe.
It's either that, or Koshiro will be at a random TGS corner, playing his music for spare change. No middle ground.

spiritfox

Switched to expert since I got some stable healing, but ow, those zebra monkeys hurt a lot. My front row is pretty squishy so 1 hit from him pretty much kills off Nachos or Slice. Now I'm low on cash spending all that money rezzing people.

Truely the Dark Souls of Etrian Odyssey.

Sölf

So, Etrian Mystery Dungeon. My local Gamestop didn't have it, but another shop could reseve me one. Can get it after 3:00 PM tomorrow.

Do we have a thread for the english version?

Nachos

Probably should've changed up the proportions of the costume – notably the dress length. The outfit looks weird on a more "realistically-proportioned" person.

It looks more like the princess was in a coma for five years, had a big growth spurt, and immediately decided to start shooting royal exercise tapes upon awakening.

Nachos

The dress could be longer, but the rest of the outfit seems fine.
It's just that for a costume that's supposed to look like someone else, it seems weird that the skirt is way hiked up, they added black thigh-highs, and ditched the glove parts of the gauntlets.

I don't know if the costumes have any technical limitations, though.

Sölf

So far, my EMD Party has the following Gaffers in it:

Zwei - Zweizer
Emilia - E_Darkness
Piki - PK Gaming
Mauma - Mauricio_Magus

The other chars are based in characters of my own (Eri, Zetta, Lielle). And well, 3 classes are still closed, so I guess one or another will still join us later. :0

mjc

Any tips for beating Iwaoropenelep? (The B20F boss in EOU1)

I figure there's a way to dance around the ogres on the east side into that nook so that the other FOES don't interfere during the boss fight...but I can't get the timing right for the life of me. I should say my whole party is at 50-51, and I'm playing the story mode.

Nachos

I figure there's a way to dance around the ogres on the east side into that nook so that the other FOES don't interfere during the boss fight...but I can't get the timing right for the life of me. I should say my whole party is at 50-51, and I'm playing the story mode.
Yeah, that's what I did, and I remember beating the boss in my low 40s. If I recall, I snuck in from the right, took down the FOEs to the North, warped out to heal, then headed back to the North to get a surprise attack on Iwaoro.

Maybe someone else can offer a step-by-step guide, but if you still need help by the time I get to my 3DS later today, I'll try retracing my steps to see what I did.

jonjonaug

The FOEs won't respawn until a few days have passed. What I ended up doing was clear one part of the room of FOEs, leave and rest at the inn until 7 AM/PM (whichever was closer), then repeated until I got to the center of the room. Make sure to attack from behind so the FOEs won't respawn when you get spotted. You need to come down from the top. Alternatively it is possible to lure the boss into that nook in the wall, but it's tricky so I never bothered with it.

Zweizer

Banned
Well, they seem to be mainly aiming for the fanservice crowd, so it isn't all that surprising that there were some alterations to the outfit.

Sölf;178367702 said:

Zwei - Zweizer
Emilia - E_Darkness
Piki - PK Gaming
Mauma - Mauricio_Magus

The other chars are based in characters of my own (Eri, Zetta, Lielle). And well, 3 classes are still closed, so I guess one or another will still join us later. :0

Again, I'm honored~

Don't hesitate to fill your guild, as everyone will be pretty helpful later, and they get Exp even while remaining in town.

mjc

The FOEs won't respawn until a few days have passed. What I ended up doing was clear one part of the room of FOEs, leave and rest at the inn until 7 AM/PM (whichever was closer), then repeated until I got to the center of the room. Make sure to attack from behind so the FOEs won't respawn when you get spotted. You need to come down from the top. Alternatively it is possible to lure the boss into that nook in the wall, but it's tricky so I never bothered with it.

The FOES only respawn if the boss sees me, right? Or is it if any foes see me? Cause I know if a random FOE sees me, he starts coming.

PK Gaming

Sölf;178367702 said:

Zwei - Zweizer
Emilia - E_Darkness
Piki - PK Gaming
Mauma - Mauricio_Magus

Oh man, Piki is a hella cute nickname~

Sölf;178367702 said:

Zwei - Zweizer
Emilia - E_Darkness
Piki - PK Gaming
Mauma - Mauricio_Magus

I'm honoured, I love it <3

Oh shit, EMD just came out in EU. I'll get on it eventually. And Ultra Despair Girls.

jonjonaug

The FOES only respawn if the boss sees me, right? Or is it if any foes see me? Cause I know if a random FOE sees me, he starts coming.

If the boss OR an FOE sees you this will alert all FOEs and respawn the ones in the area you're currently in. Think of B20F as being divided into fourths. The whip enemies at the bottom, the whip enemies at the top, and the enemies on the left or right sides of the room. Keep in mind you don't have to kill all of the FOEs, as they won't be alerted if you attack the boss without it seeing you beforehand. You just need to kill enough that you can reach the boss and attack it without being seen, and that whatever tile you're standing on when you initiate the fight will be "safe" for its duration.

mjc

If the boss OR an FOE sees you this will alert all FOEs and respawn the ones in the area you're currently in. Think of B20F as being divided into fourths. The whip enemies at the bottom, the whip enemies at the top, and the enemies on the left or right sides of the room. Keep in mind you don't have to kill all of the FOEs, as they won't be alerted if you attack the boss without it seeing you beforehand. You just need to kill enough that you can reach the boss and attack it without being seen, and that whatever tile you're standing on when you initiate the fight will be "safe" for its duration.

Gotcha, thanks!

Shizuka

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold sold less than 13,000 copies at retail in the US during August. That's the lowest I've seen, and quite shocking, even if you take "franchise fatigue" and "another remake" into account.

Zweizer

Banned
Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold sold less than 13,000 copies at retail in the US during August. That's the lowest I've seen, and quite shocking, even if you take "franchise fatigue" and "another remake" into account.

That's pretty damn low. Bad season maybe?

Top Bottom