• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

jonjonaug

That's pretty damn low. Bad season maybe?

For me it was just the high price and the availability of lots of other good games coming out around the same time. I still haven't finished Untold 1 (not sure if I will, some of the very late postgame stuff like getting the Blizzard King's conditional drop and B29F is ticking me off), but I'm planning on getting Untold 2 if it's ever on sale or if the price drops.

omlet

I've been in a work/EOU2/mobile game vortex lately...

Just got obliterated by
Scylla
(expert story mode--I think some equipment/food adjustments will help now that I know what to expect). This game so good.

Shame that its sales have been low. It's a blast. How tightly balanced these boss fights on on Expert never fails to impress me. You really gotta pay attention and throw everything you have at them to win. Love it. NO MORE GAMES never gets old.

That said I am really looking forward to a classic mode run... I feel like the story mode party covers a lot of bases well. This is the first time in the whole series I've done a main exploration party without a medic and between the princess and war magus I'm doing fine on healing, and you have a dedicated tank and some elemental damage options, but this party really suffers in the ailment/bind/debuff area (binds especially, because you have to rely on landing ailments first, or waste Fafnir's turns attempting his bind), and in typical EO form there are a lot of enemies that you need to lock down with binds/ailments or by the third stratum the random encounters are literally strong enough to 1-shot you. I'm too spoiled by Hexers, Dark Hunters, and Nightseekers.

Edit: Also I'm sad that
I'm a medic and not a hexer lol.

Nachos

MJC, I forgot that I had restarted my game on a new game+ for guild card purposes, so I don't even have access to the fourth stratum. I did remember one tip and found another by looking around, though:
  1. It's a good idea to get noticed by the ogres on purpose. That way, their patrol pattern will be disrupted afterwards, so they'll be more clumped together and create bigger gaps. You won't have to worry about FOEs respawning in the other wings, either.
  2. As a follow up to the first point, apparently the easiest way to sneak up on Iwaoro is by clumping the ogres to the east, then sneaking into a small alcove that exists on the way from the east wing to the center. It's two squares wide, so you can just keep walking back and forth until you have a clear shot at a back attack. The reason why I did it from the North is because there's a chest in that wing, but all of the FOEs disappear after beating him, so getting it will be even easier.

That's pretty damn low. Bad season maybe?
Probably that, the premium price for a niche game with DLC on top of that, and burnout. It was the worst-selling entry in Japan, too. The game's great, but Etrian has honestly gotten to the point where the changes are only iterative now. If you've played one, you pretty much know how all of them play, and it's harder to appreciate the differences when even things like the interfaces are always laid out the same way and only have small cosmetic changes between games.

It's why I'm really hoping that Atlus put a lot of thought into how V can advance the series while still remaining true to the series' identity. I want a game that shakes up nearly everything I've taken for granted in the series. Otherwise, it just risks going the way of Trauma Center – by the time it does change, it'll be too late. Even if P5 remains scant on details, it still serves as a good example of how you can make change palatable by integrating it with its lineal roots.

I've been in a work/EOU2/mobile game vortex lately...
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I've been sitting on the fifth stratum boss for at least two weeks now.

mjc

MJC, I forgot that I had restarted my game on a new game+ for guild card purposes, so I don't even have access to the fourth stratum. I did remember one tip and found another by looking around, though:
  1. It's a good idea to get noticed by the ogres on purpose. That way, their patrol pattern will be disrupted afterwards, so they'll be more clumped together and create bigger gaps. You won't have to worry about FOEs respawning in the other wings, either.
  2. As a follow up to the first point, apparently the easiest way to sneak up on Iwaoro is by clumping the ogres to the east, then sneaking into a small alcove that exists on the way from the east wing to the center. It's two squares wide, so you can just keep walking back and forth until you have a clear shot at a back attack. The reason why I did it from the North is because there's a chest in that wing, but all of the FOEs disappear after beating him, so getting it will be even easier.

Beat him! Thanks for the tips, it helped a bunch!

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold sold less than 13,000 copies at retail in the US during August. That's the lowest I've seen, and quite shocking, even if you take "franchise fatigue" and "another remake" into account.

sigh...... that's depressing.

Maybe fans of the series just want EOV already?

YES WE FUCKING DO

Man God

Non-Canon Member
EO2 is one of my favorite games, but there's just no way I'll be ready to play U2 until months from now when I can get it for half price. Even early adopter DLC doesn't make up that massive difference.

yami4ct

sigh...... that's depressing.

Maybe fans of the series just want EOV arleady?

YES WE FUCKING DO

That's where I'm at. I just don't want to go backwards in terms of gameplay systems. Another Untold does nothing for me. Maybe I'll pick it up on sale during a downtime, but I have very little interest in it right now.

spiritfox

Sucks that EO2U didn't sell well. It is the most polished EO game to date, but I guess the price and the DLC really turned people off.

Scylla's Cry Soul OHKOs my protector even in the back row, even when he's not leg-bound. I hate this boss lol.

Cry Soul should not be hitting shit if you're not bound or sleeping. Man you're really unlucky.

omlet

It shouldn't, and usually it doesn't, but twice it has. That's two wipes because it hit my tank while he was unbound and unslept...

For me it was just the high price and the availability of lots of other good games coming out around the same time. I still haven't finished Untold 1 (not sure if I will, some of the very late postgame stuff like getting the Blizzard King's conditional drop and B29F is ticking me off), but I'm planning on getting Untold 2 if it's ever on sale or if the price drops.

EO2 is one of my favorite games, but there's just no way I'll be ready to play U2 until months from now when I can get it for half price. Even early adopter DLC doesn't make up that massive difference.

Pretty much both of these, but particularly the bold. I just don't have any time of interest in diving in right now. Plus some of the DLC stuff I read was a bit of a turnoff for me, so I don't mind waiting for this one.

That's where I'm at. I just don't want to go backwards in terms of gameplay systems. Another Untold does nothing for me. Maybe I'll pick it up on sale during a downtime, but I have very little interest in it right now.

any other Untold?!?!?! are you saying you'd skip EOU:3?

Which has the potential to be the best game of all time, I'd say. :p

I'm just starting Etrian Odyssey IV and I was wondering how feasible it is to go without a Fortress or a Landsknecht? I don't mind some challenge but I'm wondering if it'll eventually just get annoyingly hard w/o em. I've only played the demo so far, with Medic/Dancer/Nightseeker in front and Sniper/Runemaster in back.

spiritfox

I'm just starting Etrian Odyssey IV and I was wondering how feasible it is to go without a Fortress or a Landsknecht? I don't mind some challenge but I'm wondering if it'll eventually just get annoyingly hard w/o em. I've only played the demo so far, with Medic/Dancer/Nightseeker in front and Sniper/Runemaster in back.

It's entirely viable, though your front row is a little squishy. Just use binds properly and you can subclass in Fort on your Dancer if you have a bit of trouble.

Kirlia

Banned
Maybe fans of the series just want EOV arleady?

Hell fucking yes! At least let us know the platform it's on!
I guess that's not really possible if it's planned for the NX, but the chances of that seem unlikely...

I'm having a great time with EO2U, though. Played and beat it on Standard because of lack of time, though (and I've still put over 100 hours into the game) It's still very challenging...probably moreso than EO3 (subclasses are so broken, but it's hella fun) and EO4 (which I did play on the hardest difficulty). Just got to beat the Great Dragon before retiring/recreating my characters...is he really that hard
even with Marion
? I know he hits hard and likes Panic, but he can't be much worse than the Blizzard King.

omlet

Aww yis, TPKO by a solo trash mob ambush. So :ExpertMode
Hate those guys spamming Hailstorm lol... that attack OHKOs my party (even with ice resist equipment) if I can't use Ice Wall for some reason.

This reminds me of the postgame of EOU1 but it's only floor 14!

Nachos

IV's the best game in the series about letting you get away with any party composition
(in fact, a party of five dancers is one of the most recommended parties against the true final boss)
, but if you're planning to use a combat medic, it might be best to wait until you unlock subclassing to invest in their offense skills. All of them have slow activation speeds and bonus effects that usually benefit the party for the rest of the turn, so the land's vanguard is pretty essential for getting those skills to trigger just as the turn starts. In which case, I'd recommend keeping them in the back for the moment.

Other than that, the rest of your classes can pretty much carry you throughout the rest of the game, though I think I'd recommend swapping your sniper for the first unlockable class eventually, just because they complement an offensive nightseeker so well.

omlet

Phew, finally beat Scylla. It occurred to me after wiping the first few times that I had never done any of the quests for floor 12-15 and my party was only level 35 as a result which is probably on the low side for an expert mode play. Did the quests and got 5 levels out of that which made the fight much more manageable!

kagamin

Don't sweat it everyone, I think I speak for all of us when I say that we're waiting for more EOV news with extreme anticipation.

BBboy20

*notices FOEs are lower tier in the big salamander floor. Maybe sign of taking on big boss; cleans floor of FOEs, takes on boss, gets destroyed with few hits*

Yep, still not ready.

Man, I feel dumb on missing out on getting the rest of the Free DLC. Been on a MGS5 vortex but do try playing this when not in my living room.

This talk of EOV reminds me that I still have the teaser image of EOV as my wallpaper on my work computer.

The day you take the wallpaper off is the day we get a trailer for the game.

But seriously, I hope they are taking their time to make it amazing. I do not think it will be a NX launch title, Atlus isn't really into releasing games in new hardware at all, unless Nintendo asked them to do so which I doubt they would with such a niche series.

kagamin

This talk of EOV reminds me that I still have the teaser image of EOV as my wallpaper on my work computer.

I have that on my linux computer I sometimes almost never use...
(I actually use it a lot right now since I don't feel like wiping the thick layer of dust off my laptop)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Found my Medic, Bushido and Paladin figures while cleaning up old boxes in the apartment. Kinda odd that the Paladin box kinda got warped though, must be due to the humidity of the summers here over the years. Never took them out of the boxes either. D:

Almost done with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team and have been hooked since May in Etrian Odyssey IV at 55 hours nearing completion of the third Stratum.

Since I am enjoying both games, I have a choice of a few games and one of them was Etrian Mystery Dungeon. I've looked up footage and stuff and know I'll like it, but I'd like to 100% the game like I am with EOIV and wanted to know is it possible to 100% EMD? In the Pokemon MD game all the sidequests kinda endlessly repeat and there is no 100%ing them. Can you complete sidequests and have it say you completed them in EMD like it does in EOIV or is the endless sidequests a general MD series thing that EMD also has. (Also do I need the DLC to 100% it? I hope not. Don't plan on it.)

Sorry if the question is confusing. Even if I don't decide on it next month I'll know its possible to 100% it for when I buy it in the future.

Almost done with Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team and have been hooked since May in Etrian Odyssey IV at 55 hours nearing completion of the third Stratum.

Since I am enjoying both games, I have a choice of a few games and one of them was Etrian Mystery Dungeon. I've looked up footage and stuff and know I'll like it, but I'd like to 100% the game like I am with EOIV and wanted to know is it possible to 100% EMD? In the Pokemon MD game all the sidequests kinda endlessly repeat and there is no 100%ing them. Can you complete sidequests and have it say you completed them in EMD like it does in EOIV or is the endless sidequests a general MD series thing that EMD also has. (Also do I need the DLC to 100% it? I hope not. Don't plan on it.)

Sorry if the question is confusing. Even if I don't decide on it next month I'll know its possible to 100% it for when I buy it in the future.

There is a finite list of sidequests and most of them don't repeat. Then there's filling out the bestiary and item books. Your guild card takes note of all of these like in EO4

Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold sold less than 13,000 copies at retail in the US during August. That's the lowest I've seen, and quite shocking, even if you take "franchise fatigue" and "another remake" into account.

Damn. 13k only. I did ask John about how franchise fatigue might happen with all the Etrian games but this one is my favourite :( I also made 3 friends actually buy it as their first Etrian game and they didn't even touch PQ.

omlet

I wonder if the multi save slots contributed, since now you can lend the game to someone without losing your own save data and they don't need to buy it.

Top Bottom