• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Rizzi

Unless the game tells you otherwise, it's usually better to do the main dungeon until you're stuck or something before tackling the side ones.

Daggers if you want your Nightseeker to be faster, Swords if you want to deal more damage.

Yeah, I figured as much. Having to
lead the bear FOE's around to break through the wooden walls was kind of neat.

omlet

Is there a reason to use knives instead of swords on a nightseeker?

Turn speed, as mentioned, but Nightseekers are already blazingly fast so there's not much need for them to use daggers over swords. By postgame they're so fast that even using maces (slow weapons) they out-turn any non-glowing enemy in the game except for maybe a couple specific special moves.

Zweizer

Banned
I'd ask scy but since he only mostly posts about FF14 now, so here's a list from Gamefaqs:

Shield: -2 speed
Heavy Armor: -2 speed
Medium Armor: -1 speed
Light Armor: +2 speed
Gloves: +1 speed
Shoes: +4 speed
Accessories and helms are neutral.

Gunblade: -4 speed
Hammers: -3 speed
Swords: -2 speed
Thrusting Swords: +2 speed
Katanas: +2 speed
Daggers: +3 speed
Bows and staves are neutral.
And just a note, those "speeds" are relative to AGI as a stat, not a multiplicative speed bonus, so equipment that would normally hinder you that have SPD forges can still make you faster than if you weren't wearing it prior (Demon Mail comes to mind).

Rizzi

I did not know that weapon types changed your speed at all. Seems like something that should probably be surfaced in the game.
Or maybe I missed it.

Anteo

I did not know that weapon types changed your speed at all. Seems like something that should probably be surfaced in the game.
Or maybe I missed it.

They may have added some tutorials, but EO is still EO. They may have put a conversation about it on the place you go for quests but im not sure. There is great info there always.

Also skills have speed too, that's why sometimes Protectors can use their shield skills before the enemy, and sometimes they cant if they get out speed. That was super rare but I remember happening to me in EOIV, or maybe it was EOIII

I think Sonic Raid from EOU is a skill that is super fast, so most of the time goes first. Great as a finishing blow to an enemy with high damage but low speed.

omlet

Or maybe I missed it.

Have you been talking to people at the bar each time you get to a new floor? The game gives you a tons of hints and info through those conversations.

Rutger

Banned
Or maybe I missed it.

If I remember correctly, it was very strong in EOII(maybe EOI as well, I don't know).
It was one of the main reasons to go with a War Magus over a Medic, equiping a sword meant the would heal at the start of the turn instead of the end.
They've fixed that since then, but yeah, weapon types will affect a character's speed.

I tend to not pay much attention to it though, since whatever build I'm going with will determine a character's weapon and the fast classes will usually be going first anyways that I'm okay with getting the extra defense when I can.

Scher

If I remember correctly, it was very strong in EOII(maybe EOI as well, I don't know).
It was one of the main reasons to go with a War Magus over a Medic, equiping a sword meant the would heal at the start of the turn instead of the end.
They've fixed that since then, but yeah, weapon types will affect a character's speed.

I tend to not pay much attention to it though, since whatever build I'm going with will determine a character's weapon and the fast classes will usually be going first anyways that I'm okay with getting the extra defense when I can.

Speed modifiers in EO2 were kind of all over the place, especially when you take into consideration all the individual weapons that had their own speed multiplier. Bows were especially an issue, with different bows having multipliers ranging between 0.1 and 2. And yeah, medics pretty much couldn't act before anything because staves had a speed multiplier of 0.1, except for the Polar Rod, which had a speed multiplier of 0.3. The Polar Rod was pretty much necessary if you wanted your medic to actually act before the enemy in most cases, but you couldn't even unlock that weapon until at least floor 29. By contrast, most swords had a multiplier of 2.0, making war magus a pretty fast healer.

One of the things I find ridiculous and hilarious about EO2 is that all of the so-called "ultimate" weapons that you got from some of the quests lines all had multipliers of 0.1. That in conjunction with the fact that all they had was raw attack power just made them pretty awful weapons. I think the only ones who could really make good use of an "ultimate" weapon were landsharks, because all but one axe already had multipliers of 0.1.

Rizzi

IV definitely seems pretty good. Might take a break from Etrian games until I beat Bravely Default though. Gotta finish that before I can play Bravely Second, and that's out in a month. :x

spiritfox

Not feeling FFE? I was down to play it until I realized it was another hunting game. Possibly my least favourite genre.

I like MH. It's not MH. I more like PSO which is fine but not what I expected.

Also I want to play as Machinist but it's not unlocked at the start so bleah.

Rizzi

I like MH. It's not MH. I more like PSO which is fine but not what I expected.

Also I want to play as Machinist but it's not unlocked at the start so bleah.

I don't even like MH though. Maybe if anyone I knew had a 3DS I'd be more in to it, but playing with randoms from across the world seems like it would be a horribly laggy experience.

Scher

Finally got EO3 all finished up! Got all the little badges on the guild card, and the only things I didn't really do was the third sea quest for the elder dragon, and I could never seem to get my sea chart up to 100%. Was stuck at 99.92% and could never figure out what I messed up on the map. Didn't abuse any of the really cheesy methods for the final boss, either, so I'm pretty happy about that! I think that was probably my favorite super boss out of the first 3 games. Even with it randomizing its actions after about the first 25% of total health removed, there was still a discernible method to how the boss acted until it got really low on health. Even with my kind of awkward group composition, I was able to get through it without too much of an issue.

I really liked EO3 quite a bit. It's just so much more polished than the first 2 games, and I'm really stoked about a potential Untold 3, now. Now I get to finally move onto the 3DS games, which I'm already really looking forward to just because I'll finally be able to suspend the game!

Anteo

Finally got EO3 all finished up! Got all the little badges on the guild card, and the only things I didn't really do was the third sea quest for the elder dragon, and I could never seem to get my sea chart up to 100%. Was stuck at 99.92% and could never figure out what I messed up on the map. Didn't abuse any of the really cheesy methods for the final boss, either, so I'm pretty happy about that! I think that was probably my favorite super boss out of the first 3 games. Even with it randomizing its actions after about the first 25% of total health removed, there was still a discernible method to how the boss acted until it got really low on health. Even with my kind of awkward group composition, I was able to get through it without too much of an issue.

I really liked EO3 quite a bit. It's just so much more polished than the first 2 games, and I'm really stoked about a potential Untold 3, now. Now I get to finally move onto the 3DS games, which I'm already really looking forward to just because I'll finally be able to suspend the game!

The only bad thing about EO3 is that in order to face all posible bosses you need to play the game 3 times, as each path has its own boss so you can get 2 different bosses in the 4th stratum, and 3 diferent final bosses on the 5th stratum.

Scher

The only bad thing about EO3 is that in order to face all posible bosses you need to play the game 3 times, as each path has its own boss so you can get 2 different bosses in the 4th stratum, and 3 diferent final bosses on the 5th stratum.

Yeah, that is kind of frustrating. Along with that, you're required to do at least 2 playthroughs in order to unlock all classes. However, I never even used the extra classes at all, so I guess that didn't really matter too much? Hopefully for the potential remake, they'll do something to allow you to get all classes unlocked and provide a way to fight all bosses on a single playthrough. Like, just go ahead and throw the extra bosses you didn't get in your current playthrough in the room once you get to post game.

Fortunately, getting subsequent playthroughs caught up with where I was didn't take too long, so I guess it wasn't a super big deal.

Untold 2 came out over here today, my copy just arrived. I've actually purchased every single EO game... and only played through the very first one! I enjoyed it a lot though, just need to be in the mood for these kind of games.

I'm thinking there isn't really any reason for me to play the original EO2 now that I have Untold 2 so I guess it will remain untouched. I might mess about with it a bit to see some of the differences I guess.

I'm contemplating playing Untold 1 first as I played EO1 so long ago now, it would probably feel fairly fresh. Will they make Untold versions of 3 and 4?

tuffy

Untold 2 came out over here today, my copy just arrived. I've actually purchased every single EO game... and only played through the very first one! I enjoyed it a lot though, just need to be in the mood for these kind of games.

I'm thinking there isn't really any reason for me to play the original EO2 now that I have Untold 2 so I guess it will remain untouched. I might mess about with it a bit to see some of the differences I guess.
It's not easy to go back to the DS titles after playing the 3DS ones. The game engine and how data is presented (like skill trees) makes the newer ones a lot easier to work with. Though exploiting some of wonky balance in the early games can be fun in its own way. For instance, the original EO II's force skills are very overpowered!
I'm contemplating playing Untold 1 first as I played EO1 so long ago now, it would probably feel fairly fresh. Will they make Untold versions of 3 and 4?
We don't know if an Untold 3 or 4 will be made. We know EO V is coming and is nearly complete, but we don't know exactly when it'll arrive or even confirmation on what platform it'll be on. I expect any more Untold games won't be coming until after EO V.

Anteo

I read that in EOU2 artwork there was talk about EO3U being the conclusion to the untold series. But we need EO5 first...

It's not easy to go back to the DS titles after playing the 3DS ones. The game engine and how data is presented (like skill trees) makes the newer ones a lot easier to work with. Though exploiting some of wonky balance in the early games can be fun in its own way. For instance, the original EO II's force skills are very overpowered!

We don't know if an Untold 3 or 4 will be made. We know EO V is coming and is nearly complete, but we don't know exactly when it'll arrive or even confirmation on what platform it'll be on. I expect any more Untold games won't be coming until after EO V.

I remember one thing that definitely bugged me with the original EO was hitting the tile limit on mapping. I just wanted to decorate all those pitfalls in the bonus dungeon D: Hopefully that isn't an issue in the 3DS games?

By the time I finish Untold 2 we will probably know whether they are making more. How are they approaching V? Curious if there will be a "Story" and "Classic" mode from the get-go or if that stuff will just be saved for Untold V or whatever.

I read that in EOU2 artwork there was talk about EO3U being the conclusion to the untold series. But we need EO5 first...
It's been a while since I looked through the artbook, but when I did I remember thinking "well, if that's not a hint that EOU2 is coming I don't know what is."
I'll have to take another look. That, plus stuff like Bertrand's
sister
who I think
is the old lady in EO3
makes it pretty clear they've got more remaking to do in the near future.

tuffy

I remember one thing that definitely bugged me with the original EO was hitting the tile limit on mapping. I just wanted to decorate all those pitfalls in the bonus dungeon D: Hopefully that isn't an issue in the 3DS games?
I believe there's still a limit on the number of items you can drop on a map, but the maps have been redone so that it's less likely you'll run into it. Like how Untold's postgame pit map has only a fraction of the pits that it used to. In addition, Untold 2 has "dynamic" map items which change depending on the state of the item you place them on. So a placed shortcut item lights up once the shortcut has been opened, or a placed box icon looks different once the box is opened. It's very nice.
By the time I finish Untold 2 we will probably know whether they are making more. How are they approaching V? Curious if there will be a "Story" and "Classic" mode from the get-go or if that stuff will just be saved for Untold V or whatever.
We don't even know whether there'll be a "Story" mode in EO V or not. Pretty much all we know about it is the number, a big piece of artwork showing the world, and some vague statements from the developers. Just about everything about it is a mystery.

I believe there's still a limit on the number of items you can drop on a map, but the maps have been redone so that it's less likely you'll run into it. Like how Untold's postgame pit map has only a fraction of the pits that it used to. In addition, Untold 2 has "dynamic" map items which change depending on the state of the item you place them on. So a placed shortcut item lights up once the shortcut has been opened, or a placed box icon looks different once the box is opened. It's very nice.

We don't even know whether there'll be a "Story" mode in EO V or not. Pretty much all we know about it is the number, a big piece of artwork showing the world, and some vague statements from the developers. Just about everything about it is a mystery.

Those map additions sound pretty nice. Was some of that stuff in Persona Q? I enjoyed that game a lot as well. And if they re-worked that bonus dungeon maybe I will actually finish it this time. I'm pretty sure that was the only place I ran into the map space issue from what I remember.

I suppose EOV speculation has been done to death by now then. Gotta wonder how this series would work without 2 screens if V happens to not be on 3DS, making your own maps is too convenient on the DS systems. Then again, who knows what the next Nintendo thing even is.

Untold 2 is great. Hope you Europeans enjoy it.

I will probably report back once I get around to it but Untold 1 is looking kind of tempting right now. My 3DS RPG backlog is actually getting pretty nuts.

I cancelled my EO2U preorder. I've lost hype after 7 months. I'm gonna finish the other damn Etrian games I've got. EMD and EO1U (and maybe EO3). But I need my highlander and gunner waifu Etrian team so I'll get Etrian 2 when there's a down period where I've got nothing to play
LIKE THERE WAS 7 MONTHS AGO

Plus SFV is on its way...

spiritfox

I cancelled my EO2U preorder. I've lost hype after 7 months. I'm gonna finish the other damn Etrian games I've got. EMD and EO1U (and maybe EO3). But I need my highlander and gunner waifu Etrian team so I'll get Etrian 2 when there's a down period where I've got nothing to play
LIKE THERE WAS 7 MONTHS AGO

Plus SFV is on its way...

You should get it now for the free DLC, unless Europe has a different DLC plan...

I will probably report back once I get around to it but Untold 1 is looking kind of tempting right now. My 3DS RPG backlog is actually getting pretty nuts.

If you've already played the original Untold 1 doesn't really add much new to the game in Classic, and Story kinda sucks. Untold 2 OTOH makes the new dungeon and additional classes accessible in Classic, plus refines the grimoire system from 1. Also the restaurant is the best thing ever.

You should get it now for the free DLC, unless Europe has a different DLC plan...

If you've already played the original Untold 1 doesn't really add much new to the game in Classic, and Story kinda sucks. Untold 2 OTOH makes the new dungeon and additional classes accessible in Classic, plus refines the grimoire system from 1. Also the restaurant is the best thing ever.

Hmm, that's a shame. I might start Untold 1 and see how it goes at least. Is it advised to not play the Story mode in Untold 2 as well?

What stuff was free in the US? Just loaded my copy up and there is "Yggdrasil Veteran", "Highlander's Return" and "Hidden Hot Springs!".

Then there's a Golden Sprout thing that costs money.

spiritfox

What stuff was free in the US? Just loaded my copy up and there is "Yggdrasil Veteran", "Highlander's Return" and "Hidden Hot Springs!".

Then there's a Golden Sprout thing that costs money.

From the OT.

Atlus has created a number of DLC for Etrian Odyssey 2 Untold, most of which will be free for the initial week they release, save for The Eldritch Hound and the DLC for easy grinding. The price for the "essential" DLC totals $16.42/CA$21.92, so be aware that there are some hidden costs to getting the "full" experience if you're waiting for discounts.

AUGUST 4
Yggdrasil Veteran: While there will be new portraits for each class in EO2U, the classic portraits from the original Etrian Odyssey will return as FreeLC for veterans that want to give their party a retro look. (Permanently free)
Highlander’s Return: The Protagonist’s class from EOU makes a triumphant return in EO2U! This class focuses on sacrificing portions of their health to obliterate enemies and buff party members. Highlander Grimoire stones and the class is available in Story mode as well! (Free through Aug. 10; 99¢/CA$1.49 thereafter)
Wanted: Golden Sprout: An easy quest to find the Golden Sprout, which gives players a lot of En when they turn the quest in. Plus, Regina at the cafe can turn this into a dish that raises the party’s chances of getting premium Grimoire stones. ($1.99/CA$2.49)
Hidden Hot Springs!: There’s rumors of a secret hot spring inside the snow-covered 3rd Stratum! Can you find the hot springs and dig them up? As an added bonus, completing the quest in Story Mode will unlock special portraits for Arianna and Chloe! (Free through Aug. 10; $2.49/CA$3.49 thereafter)

AUGUST 11
Ultimate Feathered Warrior: Take on the ultimate feathered warrior — a giant chicken — in this boss challenge! You can fight the beast with the entire party, or alone by yourself. How you approach it changes the rewards it gives out! (Free through Aug. 17; $2.49/CA$3.49 thereafter)
Winter’s Harbinger: There’s a mysterious creature that’s causing the temperatures to drop in the 4th Stratum… Track it down and take it out! (Free through Aug. 17; $2.49/CA$3.49 thereafter)
Wanted: Lucky Bud: Set out on a quest to find the Lucky Bud, which Regina can use to make a tea that vastly improves your material gathering rate. ($1.99/CA$2.49)

AUGUST 18
Thunder Queen’s Legacy: Take on the mighty Thunder Queen that resides in the 2nd Stratum! That is, if you can even get close enough to fight her. (Free until Aug. 24; $1.99/CA$2.49 thereafter)
The Eldritch Hound: Travel deep into the Labyrinths to retrieve a piece of a magical artifact! Once you do however, can you return it to its rightful place while escaping the pursuit of a fearsome beast? ($1.99/CA$2.49)
Wanted: Blessed Clover: Set out on a quest to find the Blessed Clover, which Regina can use to make a tea that drastically the EXP earned by your Guild. ($1.99/CA$2.49)

AUGUST 25
Treasures Untold: Use your newly-formed party in EO2U to take on a wave of bosses from the original Etrian Odyssey Untold! ($1.99/CA$2.49)
The Original Sin: Not for the faint of heart, this legendary boss demands that you bring your best to take it down! Pro tip: If your party isn’t all level 99, you aren’t the least bit prepared… (Free until Aug. 31; $1.99/CA$2.49 thereafter)

From the OT.

I forgot how gross that was. Actually this might push me to never get EO2U, because NISA published Atlus games never go on sale and get cheaper.

I really hope Atlus doesn't do this stuff with Etrian V. But I can't see them not doing it, especially because they're still doing DLC with SMTIV:Final.

tuffy

In NA, Etrian Odyssey games have a history of going on sale for a lot cheaper down the line in the e-shop. Making a big chunk of the DLC free for a limited time around launch seemed like a way to bring up people sooner rather than having them wait for sales.

In NA, Etrian Odyssey games have a history of going on sale for a lot cheaper down the line in the e-shop. Making a big chunk of the DLC free for a limited time around launch seemed like a way to bring up people sooner rather than having them wait for sales.

Which is annoying when they keep the exact same DLC structure. Because NISA published Atlus games basically stay at full price forever.

SMTIV it was sorta acceptable because it came out at a discounted price. But Atlus published it here so the already stupid cheap £18 SMTIV gets cheaper.

I'm rediscovering a pent up rage I've had about Atlus for awhile.

Anteo

I want then to do the grind dlc again at least, dont care about anything else. Those gold/exp/grimore dlc are great timesavers really. No more dumb runs with the farming party unless you are looking for a rare drop. No more grinding with the farming party so they can survive on the next stratum.

Sölf

Question regarding the EO2U DLCs in Europe:
Are they currently also free? That may decide if I buy the game now or not. I probably won't play it soon because of Blade & Soul, but I also doubt the game will get any cheaper here in Germany anyways. And if I can get the DLCs for free now I would just grab it.

Zweizer

Banned
Sölf;195323300 said:
Question regarding the EO2U DLCs in Europe:
Are they currently also free? That may decide if I buy the game now or not. I probably won't play it soon because of Blade & Soul, but I also doubt the game will get any cheaper here in Germany anyways. And if I can get the DLCs for free now I would just grab it.

Just got my copy of the game.

Currently three DLCs are free in the Downloads section:
  • The additional portraits
  • The Highlander class
  • The Hot Springs episode

(Only the Golden Sprout DLC that allows you to farm rare drops costs money, from what I can see).

No idea if there's more free ones to come. Didn't really follow the NA DLC schedule.

spiritfox

Just got my copy of the game.

Currently three DLCs are free in the Downloads section:
  • The additional portraits
  • The Highlander class
  • The Hot Springs episode

(Only the Golden Sprout DLC that allows you to farm rare drops costs money, from what I can see).

No idea if there's more free ones to come. Didn't really follow the NA DLC schedule.

Looks like it's the same so far.

Scher

Finished with the main part of EO4! The final boss of that game is kind of annoying, but at least I don't have to put up with that again. EO4 felt a lot shorter than the DS games. It is a very polished game, though, and all the classes seem to work with each other in a lot of interesting ways. Having subclasses only capable of using half the skill points for an ability seems like a good compromise for how they worked in 3 in that it still provides you with the extra utilities of other classes without the kind of ridiculousness that went on in 3. EO4 is definitely the functionally best game in the series so far, but I would say I definitely enjoyed my time with 3 a lot more. Maybe the post game will change my opinion on that, though!

Also, I don't know how much people enjoy this stuff as I do, but there's been a small group of people data mining the Untold games lately! They've primarily been digging through the second one, since it's the most recent. Something pretty interesting that was shown today was the food data [link] for 2 Untold. The game does a pretty good job of understating just how powerful some of the food is! Of particular note:
Apple Matcha Shaved Ice
Food description: Blind Effect ↑↑
Effect: When inflicted with blind, the enemy's hit rate will decrease even more!
Actual Effect: Blind enemies have their hit rate decreased further by -2000.
Shell Yakiniku
Food description: Paralysis Effect ↑↑
Effect: When inflicted with paralysis, there is a higher chance the enemy will not be able to move!
Actual Effect: Paralyzed enemies have a 99% chance of not being able to act on their turn.
Might as well just say the enemy will never hit while afflicted in both cases.

Sölf

So, I just bought EOU2 now and played for ~2 hours. I finished everything except for one drop quest and could go to F2. But holy shit, the beginning of this game is so much harder than any other. It can only get better! xD

Nachos

Also, I don't know how much people enjoy this stuff as I do, but there's been a small group of people data mining the Untold games lately! They've primarily been digging through the second one, since it's the most recent.
Yeah, the Something Awful Etrian community does good stuff and is probably the most technically-inclined part of the fandom, as far as tearing the games apart. Definitely the source for some of the craziest single-character challenges.

Something they also uncovered is that elemental jars are by far the best attack option for alchemists, because with Compression 20 and the item damage x3 food, they do over 1300% base damage, which is nearly double all their other options, even if compressed.

Top Bottom