• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Community Thread: The Ongoing Adventures of Fight and Heal

Zweizer

Banned
A buddy just linked this to me, which lets you rank your favorite Etrian character designs. It takes a while, though, and I mainly did it because I was bored during the blizzard that just happened in the US. But I was also curious to know what everyone else's favorite portraits were.
The only big mystery about Zweizer is the order of the number 1 and 2 spots.

Ah yes, I remember its early version was posted on /eog/.

oPgQZtv.png

No surprises here.

tuffy

You're all terrible people, making me want something I want. Guess I'll try and find the cheapest place to get it.

I'll play it for a few days and suddenly SFV becomes a life style
Also, the US version of EO2U got a lot of the DLC for free if you downloaded it around launch. If EU gets the same treatment, it'll be worth getting the game sooner rather than later - even if you don't get around to it right away.

Anteo

Welp, I just finished the 2nd stratum of EO2, had to use all my items, all my limits, I survived becuse the hexer managed to land a leg bind by 3rd time near the end of the fight. It was a turn were everyone defended and she was the only one who could do something about the AoE. My 2 main attackers were out of tp, the tank barely got limit that turn which let us survive the next few extra turns we needed, the soverign was about to run out of tp. It was basically that bind that won me the fight.

Also

omlet

A buddy just linked this to me, which lets you rank your favorite Etrian character designs. It takes a while, though, and I mainly did it because I was bored during the blizzard that just happened in the US. But I was also curious to know what everyone else's favorite portraits were.
The only big mystery about Zweizer is the order of the number 1 and 2 spots.

You're cruel and terrible for making me play favorites among my favorites. I will edit it in when I have a few mins at work to look at it.

Edit 1: Twintails hoplite v twintails monk I... I... *implodes* make that a tie, I guess. Also some of these titles are hilarious. "Forehead landshark" "loli hexer" "ranma monk" lol.

Edit 2:
eGBp5yN.jpg

Well, close enough. No surprises in the top three as those are definitely some of my favorites. I'm not sure why shisho ended up so low, or why only one male portrait ended up in the top 30ish despite liking several of them. :lol

Sorting method seemed a little weird in some places. For example I'd honstly put twintail monk much lower on the list (or at least under all the ones that got "10" rank on my list) but it only asked me about that one like one time I think.

Leveling up a survivalist for some reason. Is there a fast way to do this yet? :p

The fast leveling in EOU is this (mild postgame spoilers):
In the postgame floors (I think 28 and 29 IIRC) there is a type of FOE that can respawn endlessly no matter how many you kill. Drink tea until you get the "rare enemies chance up" effect (enter dungeon and go back to town to reset tea effect if you get a different one). Go to the appropriate floor and run in circles avoiding the regular FOE spawns then attack the gold ones when they appear. You will get boatloads of exp and probably some decent grimiore stones while you're at it.

Be warned these FOEs are exceptionally strong. This is best done with 3-4 high level members and only 1 or 2 low level characters at a time. If possible, head bind them to prevent their nastiest attack.

This is a quick way to quickly level 1 or 2 members at a time.

To level a whole party quickly, get some exp buffs, holy gift grimoire, good weapons and body armor, picnic mode, go auto-battle around the dragon's nest where the healing fountain is. Soon as those enemies are easy, go to the next healing fountain floor, etc. until you're in the postgame floors and you can graduate to FOE hunting.

Rutger

Banned
Come to think of it, though, I wonder why IV didn't do anything with space, considering Tharsis is a big plateau on Mars.

Maybe they did have plans for something more early on, EOIV feels a little rushed at the end with
the fifth dungeon only having one floor and no airship map as well as the post-game dungeon being a palette swap.
Who knows how different it might have been if they had more time.

As for my favorite designs, I don't feel like going through all of them in that link, but the some that stand out to me are the mask Ninja, the redhead female Arbalist, the Jack Frost Gunner, the older female Fortress, the mascot Protector, and the redhead male Sniper. Personally, I feel the designs improved quite a bit around EOIII, there's more detail, the faces are sharper, and the proportions are better. It's funny seeing the modern style interact with the older style in the Untold games.
The monster designs have always been fantastic.

Also, the US version of EO2U got a lot of the DLC for free if you downloaded it around launch. If EU gets the same treatment, it'll be worth getting the game sooner rather than later - even if you don't get around to it right away.

Well I want that Highlander. And the game WON'T get cheaper. Unless someone decides to clear the stock, but NISA EU is pretty good at having the right amount of stock.

OH GOD WHY AM I DOING THE PORTRAIT SORT?!

edit: I got stuck
TPTnblm.png

EDIT EDIT:
My top 3 are unsurprising, probably.
CZqH0EvWEAA9fXf.jpg:large

Rizzi

I'm just getting it digitally. It's never going to drop in price, and it'll probably become super hard to find a copy of the instant it releases anyway.

Nachos

No surprises here.
Of course they'd be tied.

Sorting method seemed a little weird in some places. For example I'd honstly put twintail monk much lower on the list (or at least under all the ones that got "10" rank on my list) but it only asked me about that one like one time I think.
Yeah, I noticed that it mostly works by pitting large groups against each other, then subdividing those groups to face against each other again, so if one portrait manages to tag along the winning group, it's guaranteed to be decently high up. I don't know how tying would affect things, though, as I never pressed that button.

As for my favorite designs, I don't feel like going through all of them in that link, but the some that stand out to me are the mask Ninja, the redhead female Arbalist, the Jack Frost Gunner, the older female Fortress, the mascot Protector, and the redhead male Sniper. Personally, I feel the designs improved quite a bit around EOIII, there's more detail, the faces are sharper, and the proportions are better. It's funny seeing the modern style interact with the older style in the Untold games.
The monster designs have always been fantastic.
I'm curious to see the art for V more than anything else. Himukai's really evolved since IV, so I'd really like to see generic portraits in the style of the Untold characters. I don't think Nagasawa's art has changed all that much, but I'm sure I'll still like the new monster designs, too.

The only real question I have is who Atlus got to do the landscapes and backgrounds. I still don't know who did I–III's (I think it might have been contracted to a boutique agency), but IV's were done by Nizo Yamamoto, who was the art director for a lot of the classic Ghibli movies. I think his art style might still be my favorite, but V's already looks second-best, and it actually has a better design to work with.

Rizzi

It's just the bears. I've killed the bugs and the dinosaurs before.
That charge move the bears do kind of messes me up.

omlet

You are still playing on Normal right?
Because if you were on expert those mantis would put the fear of God into you.

Any case, head bind or stun grenades make the bears manageable.

Rizzi

You are still playing on Normal right?
Because if you were on expert those mantis would put the fear of God into you.

Any case, head bind or stun grenades make the bears manageable.

Yeah I figured. They're not so hard to avoid so I didn't really try. Relying on binds seems like a bad way to play. My dark hunter gets a bind so rarely I don't know why I bring her along anymore.

Anteo

Yeah I figured. They're not so hard to avoid so I didn't really try. Relying on binds seems like a bad way to play. My dark hunter gets a bind so rarely I don't know why I bring her along anymore.

But binds are soo good. In every EO party I try to have either binds or status, it gives you so many free turns when one lands

omlet

Relying on binds is actually a perfectly valid way to play the entire series, outside of a few bosses (but every team is going to have at least one weakness). I know, because I've done it in several of the games. :p You just have to build your party in a way to have a safety net in case the binds don't work. True, you're not going to get 100% success rate on your binds, but a dark hunter with maxed skills and luck boost gear should have a better than 50% bind rate on expert mode, and even better than that on normal mode.

omlet

She gets so few binds though..

Bind skills maxed? Any LUK equipment? I'm not sure if you have Moss Brooch accessory unlocked yet but your DH should use that.

Not sure what else to say. I beat everything in EOU Expert mode with a DH in my party (except the postgame boss who is too resistant and has too much HP for a DH to be useful against), and Candis was always busy landing binds the entire game, though often not on the first try.

Also when you're up against FOEs or bosses with a DH, force boost will help increase the bind chance for when it's important to land a specific bind to block a specific attack.

Edit: And in EOU2 there is a monster grimoire line-hitting attack skill you can get that reduces the bind/ailment resistance of anyone it hits. I had Faffy running that skill for most of the game on Expert mode to aid Chloe and Flavio with bind and ailment success.

Rizzi

Bind skills maxed? Any LUK equipment? I'm not sure if you have Moss Brooch accessory unlocked yet but your DH should use that.

Not sure what else to say. I beat everything in EOU Expert mode with a DH in my party (except the postgame boss who is too resistant and has too much HP for a DH to be useful against), and Candis was always busy landing binds the entire game, though often not on the first try.

Also when you're up against FOEs or bosses with a DH, force boost will help increase the bind chance for when it's important to land a specific bind to block a specific attack.

Edit: And in EOU2 there is a monster grimoire line-hitting attack skill you can get that reduces the bind/ailment resistance of anyone it hits. I had Faffy running that skill for most of the game on Expert mode to aid Chloe and Flavio with bind and ailment success.

That sounds super useful. When my dark hunter gets two binds on someone, her ecstasy does crazy damage.

Scher

So I'm getting pretty close to the normal ending boss in EO3, and I wanted to ask, outside of doing another playthrough in order to get the last class unlocked, is there any good reason to play through the game enough times for all the endings? I figure if I just take my normal team, then getting to the end on subsequent playthroughs should be quick enough, but do all the endings have items that are worth getting? Or am I better off just going straight for the true ending on my second playthrough?

Anteo

So I'm getting pretty close to the normal ending boss in EO3, and I wanted to ask, outside of doing another playthrough in order to get the last class unlocked, is there any good reason to play through the game enough times for all the endings? I figure if I just take my normal team, then getting to the end on subsequent playthroughs should be quick enough, but do all the endings have items that are worth getting? Or am I better off just going straight for the true ending on my second playthrough?

Go for the true ending. Check if you can watch the conversation with the surviving people of the ending you didnt get.

omlet

Dang everything here is super difficult!

This is the point of the game where your party better be good or you're gonna suffer. Especially with no tank or crowd control. Be sure to do the new quests to kill the dragons to raise your level cap once you hit level 70.

Also here's another protip: synth all your grimoires onto shield stones as their base so that everyone in your party can equip shields. You will want this to equip Halo Aspis on everyone. Trust me.

omlet

I haven't had much luck with grimoire stones.

The way the game is balanced means on picnic and normal there is not as much need for them. On expert mode they are indispensable. Also the way the system is designed means that you won't really get any great stones until you get to postgame and actually make an effort to get them, regardless of what difficulty you play on.

EOU2 improves the grimoire system considerably, but the system in EOU is not really that bad. IMO it gets unfair flack by people who didn't try to understand it (and again if you are not playing on expert mode you kind of don't even need to really understand it, because you don't really need the boosts you get from them if you're not playing on expert).

Here are some of my observations that may help you if you decide to go for some specific stone farming http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=134753206&highlight=grimoire#post134753206 And this is observations from farming nearly 1400 grimoire stones out of 1800 chances on my EOU file so it's not like I'm making this up with no basis.

By the way, I hope you like Medusa Trees, because you will be killing dozens of them if you decide to hunt grimoires (you need their special drop, and lots of them).

omlet

Pray for me guys, I'm about to start testing my EOU2 team against expert Ur-Child. I'm in classic mode but have story mode characters retired and re-99'd at my disposal, too. Gonna first see how it goes with Bertrand / Faffy / Momo (R) | Mishaela (P) / Ana (G) (
yes I leveled another princess, gotta have my blond princess
).

Everyone is grimoired to the teeth, I'm just not sure it's the right stuff, hah.

I have Ronin set up as Peerless Combo build because it seems to be a good build to go with force skill (stones: P Stance 10, P Combo 10, Ground Strike 10, Swallow Strike 10, Double Action 10, Force Charge 10 w/ Cut Up2 bonus). I have a highlander leveled as well, in case this doesn't work out and I need more elemental damage shenanigans via spear assist, like how EOU1 was...

Faffy is set up to spam elemental blade attacks. Gunner is built for Burst Shot with Volt shots to use while Burst is on cooldown. Princess will be healer, and has lv10 Link Order stone too in case of a free turn to do some more damage.

The only thing I'm worried I may need is a high level grimoire stone of Chloe's status blocking skill (forgot the name), which I don't have. I may have to farm for one of those.

Oxx

I think I have played and enjoyed all the EO demos without actually buying a game. Maybe EOU2 will be the one.

Top Bottom