• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City |OT| -- Fight & Heal Sail the Open Seas!

7threst

I am STILL waiting for my copy to arrive. Jeez, Dutch postal service is total crap! I guess I never be able to play imported games at the same time as other GAF-people. Even EO can be finished by the time I'l;l have my copy :lol

Grampasso

Mank said:
Anyone know where to get a cannon/something to improve durability or w/e to get over new tiles in the ship section? I've got the lighthouse and the first two ports, but I can't seem to advance any further without something new, and... well, it's kinda hard to search the map for things when you have to use the move+1 and go flying all over the place.
Also, beat the first stratum and damn, do I ever wish a new knife would show up in the store. Bleh, my Ninja's getting kinda weak because of this :( Guess I could actually start harvesting/hunting down a few of my missed drops...
I know this won't sound good but if there's something I learned from EO is that you have to let it guide you into class usage. If there aren't any new weapons for one of your characters and it's starting to be too much less powerful than the others because of this reason I'm sure there are other stronger weapons for classes you don't use in your main party. You should switch to those until you find better for your ninja.
This way, though it may be slower to advance in the game, you'll be able to choose the best party in any given situation because you'll have more choices in the upcoming floors

Crazetex

I just saw an image of a ninja girl with an awesome fox mask.

I think that just sold me on this instead of Four Warriors.

sundrenched

Neo Member
Btw as a Gaf/forum noob can some tell me how spoiler tags work?

SPOILER ALERT! B7F SPOILERS!!

Do you have to fight the school of fish at all? I got into the small room and navigated my way out without fighting any fish at all and Olympia just went crazy, destroyed a tree and disappeared. Some of the earlier posters did mention fighting some fishes...

[.spoiler][./spoiler]

Remove the periods.

(If you ever come across any post that you can't figure out the HTML of, just quote it and see what they use next time.)

Also,
no you don't have to fight them. Apparently every other Guild that found that place was comprised of morons who do not know how to dodge.

Totakeke

Well I actually went and bought this game, played until B4F, really appreciated the new stuffs introduced and changes. But today, the A button on my DS died, fuck. I hope it's not expensive to fix or I guess the game have to wait until 3DS or something.

Althane

Pureauthor said:
[.spoiler][./spoiler]

Remove the periods.

(If you ever come across any post that you can't figure out the HTML of, just quote it and see what they use next time.)

Also,
no you don't have to fight them. Apparently every other Guild that found that place was comprised of morons who do not know how to dodge.

I just used a thread. =P

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Got the game yesterday and booted it up on my roomie's DS. I'm a fuckin nerd when it comes to this so I always make up a backstory to go along with my rag tag team. I think I remember being able to write in backgrounds for our characters within the game - is that still there?

Team Atlas
Front line:
-Rinoa (Princess)
-Selvan (Monk)
-Logan (Hoplite)

Back line:
-Bones (Buccaneer)
-Nina (Arbalist)

Now to waste time at work looking at skill trees and figuring out how I want to build them up... I'm hoping to build up my back ros as my main damage dealers with the front laying down DEF, healing and BUF.

jon bones said:
I think I remember being able to write in backgrounds for our characters within the game - is that still there?

I don't think that's been in any EO game. But you might as well know that I'm at least as big a nerd as you are.

jon bones

Pureauthor said:
I don't think that's been in any EO game. But you might as well know that I'm at least as big a nerd as you are.

It's highly likely I made up that feature in my head.

I used to tell bedtime stories to an old girlfriend -and one drunken one night stand :/ - so this way I can still write fluffy stories in my head and still share them with someone -my nintendo.

I've got guild Typhoon. My wife and I are in the front row and the kids + 1 are in the back row.

Front:
Gladiator
Hoplite

Back:
Farmer
Arbalist
Princess

Totakeke

Does the first stratum have a good rapier for my pitiful buccaneer who can't do damage for shit or should I train another class for the boss? My hoplite has two unique/gold lancers already and yet he's still stuck with the first rapier in the shop.

There's one that you can make using poisonous tail drops but that doesn't seem that good either.

Totakeke said:
Does the first stratum have a good rapier for my pitiful buccaneer who can't do damage for shit or should I train another class for the boss? My hoplite has two unique/gold lancers already and yet he's still stuck with the first rapier in the shop.

There's one that you can make using poisonous tail drops but that doesn't seem that good either.

Pallasch - +40 atk and 1 Forging Slot.

That's the best available from 1st Stratum drops.

Totakeke

Pureauthor said:
Pallasch - +40 atk and 1 Forging Slot.

That's the best available from 1st Stratum drops.

Okay, I guess rapier buccaneers just suck at doing damage early on. Lights Out and Hanging never seems to be worth it. Plus there's no synergy at all with my other classes. ;/

Totakeke said:
Okay, I guess rapier buccaneers just suck at doing damage early on. Lights Out and Hanging never seems to be worth it. Plus there's no synergy at all with my other classes. ;/

Lights Out has a pretty good chance of blinding at a minimal skill point investment. But earlygame your focus should be on the Chasing. Later game it's all about Swashbuckling, baby.

Totakeke said:

Chase physical stuff seems like something you build around, really. Haven't done the math or tried dumping all the points into Chase Blow and letting a Maciator and fightin' monk go at it. It stays at one point for now.

Totakeke

Pureauthor said:
Lights Out has a pretty good chance of blinding at a minimal skill point investment. But earlygame your focus should be on the Chasing. Later game it's all about Swashbuckling, baby.

Aren't chasing only meant to be used when your party employ a lot of the same type of attacks? One or two attacks doesn't seem to be worth chasing.

SatelliteOfLove said:
Chase physical stuff seems like something you build around, really. Haven't done the math or tried dumping all the points into Chase Blow and letting a Maciator and fightin' monk go at it. It stays at one point for now.

Oh, I had that in mind. And then my princess keep crying to me for a hoplite and then I swapped the monk out for her and those plans were shelved. Now he seems more like a waste of a slot.

What's with the huge bias for back row classes anyway? Prince/Princess -> Passive Healer -> Back Row, Hoplite -> Spear + Provoke -> Back Row, Buccaneer -> Need to get those gun skills anyway -> Back Row, Monk -> Low Armor/Healer -> Back Row, Farmer/Arbalist/Wildling/Zodiac -> Back Row

So I guess I should try a front row Ninja? Ehh.

Totakeke said:
Aren't chasing only meant to be used when your party employ a lot of the same type of attacks? One or two attacks doesn't seem to be worth chasing.

Well, yeah. Buccaneers are an offensive support class. That's pretty much what they do.

Most classes have access to more than one kind of damage, so maybe work it around a bit?

Totakeke

Pureauthor said:
Well, yeah. Buccaneers are an offensive support class. That's pretty much what they do.

Most classes have access to more than one kind of damage, so maybe work it around a bit?

Hoplite -> Spear -> Thrust
Gladiator -> Club -> Strike (Also Sword -> Slash)
Princess -> Sword -> Slash
Zodiac -> Book -> Strike I guess?

My original plan was Monk, Zodiac and Gladiator using strike attacks.

I could either kick the Buccaneer away or the Hoplite/Princess combo. Seems like an easy choice to make.

jon bones

i was thinking

one main offensive attack:
hopltie -> thunder damage + arbalist -> thunder shot + buccaneer thunder chase

other attacks
arbalist - fire/ice/thunder + buccaneer chase

Mah GAWD. 3rd stratum.
Tons of hot floor tiles (glad my Monk had Fire Walking maxxed in prep since 7th floor), fucking worm FOEs (aoe Bind Foot + damage, then aoe Bind Head + damage), and great music

Trying that Chase Mace (heh) build mentioned earlier; turning the Prince into a passive healer with a Monk sub and adding points to kung-fu for the previously healing-only Monk (with a Buccaneer sub).

A deeper I go! :lol

Althane

SatelliteOfLove said:
Mah GAWD. 3rd stratum.
Tons of hot floor tiles (glad my Monk had Fire Walking maxxed in prep since 7th floor), fucking worm FOEs (aoe Bind Foot + damage, then aoe Bind Head + damage), and great music

I don't use that skill, I just use the Prince's Victory March. 10 HP per step usually beats out the damage tiles. =D

Totakeke

I'm really enjoying this game.

The changes to the second game rubbed me the wrong way, especially on the poles being on every 3rd floor which killed the exploration and pacing.

The first game was a very fresh experience and a lean game at its core, kinda hardcore-like due to its difficulty and you didn't really know what to expect so that you had to be on your toes all the time.

The third game is far more accessible in the sense that it introduces conventions in other rpgs like the tent and more sidequest stuffs like the seafaring. The monsters also don't kill you as easily (maybe not yet) but compensated by higher hp. I suppose they also had a good compromise with having a submagnetic pole for every 4th floor.

I would have preferred a more hardcore experience like the first game, but this one isn't bad at all. The first one was more like a scary adventure and this one is more like a good enjoyable stroll.

Althane

So I've unlocked subclasses, and I'm wondering what exactly I should subclass.

Mostly I want to subclass my Prince, since everybody else seems to be doing well, but the prince... isn't doing a whole ton of damage in the back row, and his passive heals are nice, but... he gets hit sometimes. So I was thinking Monk so he could keep himself functioning, but then someone mentioned Ninja and their passive evasion.

Ideas?

Althane said:

Mostly I want to subclass my Prince, since everybody else seems to be doing well, but the prince... isn't doing a whole ton of damage in the back row, and his passive heals are nice, but... he gets hit sometimes. So I was thinking Monk so he could keep himself functioning, but then someone mentioned Ninja and their passive evasion.

Ideas?

Why is your Prince in the back row? He can equip the best armours, and most of his weapons are short range ones.

Fishious

Pureauthor said:
Althane said:

Ideas?

Why is your Prince in the back row? He can equip the best armours, and most of his weapons are short range ones.

I echo this sentiment. Then again my prince doesn't use Royal Veil so that changes things. I found that I was able to get more mileage out of Royal Lineage with my prince on the front since I tend to buff them more than the back row. The prince has pretty high survivability despite the fact that his HP isn't that great. For reference my party is:

Row 1: Gladiator/Arbalist Hoplite/Ninja Prince/
Shogun
Row 2: Arbalist/ Gladiator Monk/Princess

I didn't actually subclass most of my characters until a good while after it unlocked and didn't really suffer for it. You may want to wait to subclass until after you unlock your new class depending on which route you take.

Just to be safe I'll spoiler the stuff about the senate path's unlockable class.
I went with shogun for my prince since my party's lacking offense. There's apparently some whacky stuff you can do with shogun but my prince's build is fairly mundane. I wound up getting him Blitz Command (All other allies make a physical attack) since it did more damage than katana skills. The high tp cost is somewhat offset by the prince's tp management skills.

Still your prince is built very differently than mine. Maybe monk with ascetic deeds would be a good idea. As I understand it, the only problem with Prince/Monk is that they lack From Qi and high tec so his healing is fairly mediocre. If you still want to keep him on the back row, but want more offense keep in mind that you can subclass into something like Arbalist or Buccaneer, put 1 point into Bolt or Gun Mastery, and use that weapon.

mrpeabody

What's the difference between slash, pierce, and bash damage? Is there a list of which kind of weapon does what? Are there weapons which do full damage from the back row?

This kind of thing should be in the game or in the manual.

Slash: Swords, knives
Pierce: Rapiers, Spears, Bows, Guns
Bash: Maces, Fists, Books.

Spears, bows, guns do full damage from back row.

Althane

Pureauthor said:

Gladiator Hoplite Monk make my main damage dealers (besides my Arbalist), and so the Monk (With her paralyzing move) is in the front row.

I'm gonna go try moving the Monk to the back row to replace the Prince and see if that goes well.

Out of curiosity, what happens if you have 2 Princes with the party? Do their passives stack?

Bento

On the fourth floor now with my team consisting of:

Hoplite
Prince
Monk
Arbalist
Farmer

Working great so far and I'm really liking the Prince/Princess class, really adds some spice to the healing and once I do my first retire I'll probably skip the Monk and add another damage dealer instead. The Farmer isn't of much use in combat as expected but increased drop rate on loot and good harvesting abilities more then make up for that imo (and she's my go to guy for using items and such during battles).

As someone that completed both of the previous titles in the series I'd say it's already becoming clear that this is the best effort made by Atlus so far. The addition of sailing and the forge really makes a difference and sailing especially as it adds some variety to the dungeon crawl. Overall I'm having a blast so far and looking forward many more hours with this game :D

Althane

So I'm actually thinking of retiring my entire team, and restarting (same basic teal build) with a few more skillpoints and stat points. Downside, of course, being that I'd have to build myself from level 15-16 to level 30 again.

Why?

Because I'm getting bum-fucked by floor 10
Deep One and Deep Lady
. Brutal motherfuckers.

forgrim

Heyooooooooooo, exactly where I got stuck. Those two are no joke. I was thinking burning down the left one was the smartest idea before i got blasted out of the sky.

Totakeke

Am I right to say that the seafaring slows down significantly after the first stratum? I beat three different bosses while in the first stratum while I could hardly dent any of the new ones while being in the second stratum.

sphinx

the piano man
Neo C. said:
European GAF, rejoice!
I finally got my copy, and you'll get yours too (probably).:D

Hey Neo, I got my copy in the mail today as well. I guess it's an interesting bit of data that intercontinental mail takes the same time for Germany and Holland. Game is great, as expected. I was glued 2 hours straight to the dam thing.

I am not sure if it has occured to anyone but EO games feel like that kind of big brother reality shows where you get to know the people at the beginning of the show (in this case, the classes) and are thrilled to see which one will work well on the field, which one will suck all around, which one will get better, which group works well for what, man, it's addicting.

As per tradition, I went and registered one of each class and will work with all of them and take my time so as to have a choice for tweaking my party if I need to do it as the game progresses. I named them after classical pianists :D

Prince - Rubinstein
Gladiator - Horowitz
Hoplite - Richter
Monk - Pollini
Bucaneer - Argerich
Ninja - Uchida
Farmer - Haebler
Zodiac - Pogorelich
Wildling - Lang Lang
Arbalist - Grimaud

Most important thing I have learned so far:

.- the safest way to traverse the game early on is to have a Monk heal a prince if he has been damaged and have the prince upgrade Royal Veil so that the party regenerates HP each turn as long as the prince remains with full HP, that has made the difference so far. The Monk armed with Macana deals a lot of damage early on as well so i'd say the monk is required if you are playing safe.

nli10

Neo C. said:
European GAF, rejoice!
I finally got my copy, and you'll get yours too (probably).:D

Got mine a week or so ago to the UK with nice book & everything, got destroyed on my first trip out as I anticipated being able to get back out faster than I could and have now put it aside until I have a slot of proper game time for it to sit in.

Althane

forgrim said:
Heyooooooooooo, exactly where I got stuck. Those two are no joke. I was thinking burning down the left one was the smartest idea before i got blasted out of the sky.

Did you beat 'em?

What I've gathered is that you want to be smashing them with Binds (preferably head, to stop the chick) every turn. Since I don't have any in my current team, I'm working my Farmer back up to maxing out Strange seeds. He's doing decent damage now that I gave him the next Farmer-Spear-Weapon (hoe?) and dumped ATK on it.

I'm also planning on this time gathering materials and trying to unlock some armor. I'm still using all Stratum 2 stuff, which isn't ever really a good idea when punching into a new Stratum.

sphinx

the piano man
Is it me.. or does the prince break the game?

Those healing skills are extreme..

whole party healing every turn? Heal some more for staying alive after battle? Insane.

First floors have been a cakewalk and I haven't been anywhere near dying since I got these skills..

I got the impression from internet comments that this was going to be tha hardest EO from the three but so far, it is by far the easiest.

shahkur

Alright guys, I have joined the EO3 party. Got my copy in yesterday. I'm stuck on Floor 3. Erm, I'm at the bit where
I'm trying to get passed the 1st red FOE. I've tried it once so far and got caught.
Any help?

Oh, and my party is:

FRONT - Prince, Gladiator
BACK - Wildling, Buccaneer, Farmer

Few more questions. Is there really a point in having the farmer in my party? Apart from giving allies increased EXP, he dishes out really small amounts of damage. Anyone in particular I should replace him with?

And, is there any class that has the ability to use CURE/HEAL in battle?

Althane

sphinx said:

Those healing skills are extreme..

whole party healing every turn? Heal some more for staying alive after battle? Insane.

First floors have been a cakewalk and I haven't been anywhere near dying since I got these skills..

I got the impression from internet comments that this was going to be tha hardest EO from the three but so far, it is by far the easiest.

The healing amount really isn't that great until you max out his "Heal when walking" skill. You can easily get 100 HP back between fights. Of course, the other passive heals are useful, but the "Heal every turn" gets used less and less as it becomes more common for all-party skills to be used, or creatures hitting your prince just 'cause.

Thus, you want a Monk around to keep your prince topped off. (People have been saying that subclassing Prince as a monk is a bad idea since your heals will be mediocre, and I'm inclined to agree)

Boogiepop

I haven't reached the point where it comes up yet, but so I'm prepared...
What's good for subclassing: A gladiator and ninja in the front row, and a prince, zodiac, and monk in the back row?
And the sea quests seem to jump in difficulty pretty fast, heh. Probably gonna be a while before I can go any farther than the first one in the third set.

Neo C.

sphinx said:
Not really. I guess it's nice to get HP after the battle, but during the battle it's a different story.
I think monks and farmers are too dominant though. I can't make a team without those two.

sphinx said:

It isn't hard when you know how to play, I guess. The game is more complicated, but if you get the battle system and build your team with monk and princess, you won't get much trouble in the first floor except against the lynx.

Does anybody know how does "combat study" work?

Neo C. said:
Not really. I guess it's nice to get HP after the battle, but during the battle it's a different story.
I think monks and farmers are too dominant though. I can't make a team without those two.

Entirely possible to play through the entirety of the maingame without either.

The real gamebreakers are the subclass combinations.

It isn't hard when you know how to play, I guess. The game is more complicated, but if you get the battle system and build your team with monk and princess, you won't get much trouble in the first floor except against the lynx.

Does anybody know how does "combat study" work?

When not in the active party, you receive 10% of the stated experience value at the end of each fight.

Top Bottom