• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City |OT| -- Fight & Heal Sail the Open Seas!

Althane

Neo C. said:
Does anybody know how does "combat study" work?

Inactive team members (not part of your main 5) will get 1% experience per level of Combat study of each fight.

So if you have a Ninja with 10 levels in Combat Study, and you win a fight worth 1k EXP, she gets 100 EXP.

It's a great way to build up characters without having to grind them up. Throw their initial 3 points into Combat Study, toss in a point every other level or so, and you'll be doing fine.

Right now, I have two Zodiacs, a Buccaneer, a ninja, and a Wildling who've all got 10 ranks. And 3 Farmers with a few ranks in it (just for the random leveling that I do to give them some benefit. Gotta max harvest!)

Neo C.

Pureauthor said:
Entirely possible to play through the entirety of the maingame without either.
Sure, it's just quite a hassle without someone who can heal during a battle. And I love characters who give me extra EXP. That's the reason why I always had a troubadour in my team in EO I and II.

Pureauthor said:
When not in the active party, you receive 10% of the stated experience value at the end of each fight.
So characters can stay in the city the entire game and still get EXP? Nice. I assume 10% is when you max out this skill, right?
Edit: ok, questions entirely answered, thanks.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Another way to look at it: Max Comat study is 10% of the exp gained from a fight, completely separate from the main exp share.

If all five characters in the active party live through a fight they get 20%, so if you start making characters from the very beginning with this in mind you'll eventually have a bench full of characters who are not that far behind your main party. Perfect for sub ins.

Not that useful for me when I change my party every time I come iout of the Labyrinth. Those points are better spent on actual combat utility. :D

sphinx

the piano man
what is this subclass combination pureauthor is mentioning?

like, will I be able to do a fusion of ninja-farmer or something like that?

sphinx said:
what is this subclass combination pureauthor is mentioning?

like, will I be able to do a fusion of ninja-farmer or something like that?

At the end of the second stratum, you can add a secondary class to your main class. You gain their skill table, except for the unique class skill (seen as the first skill on the list), and if you take points in their weapon (and shield) masteries you can equip their weapons. You also gain 5 skill points for taking a subclass.

It should be noted that your stat growths remain that of the main class.

Totakeke

Sorry if this has been asked before, but where exactly is the island to get the stuff for the quest you get when you revisit the lighthouse on boat? It says an island to the west of the.. lighthouse? But I've been to most of them that's to the immediate left and still nothing.

Totakeke said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but where exactly is the island to get the stuff for the quest you get when you revisit the lighthouse on boat? It says an island to the west of the.. lighthouse? But I've been to most of them that's to the immediate left and still nothing.

What exactly are they asking for, again?

sphinx

the piano man
Pureauthor, thanks for the explanation.

just played a bit more, I am afraid of the EO games, once I start I can't stop, I have to force myself to go save and turn off the DS.

so anyway... I have the feeling I am not leveling my characters that well so maybe I can get some tips from people in later stratums.

Questions:

.- I have been allocating my gladiator's SPs to strike based skills in hopes of getting "Nine smashes", as it looks like a nice offensive skills. Is it worth it? Is a gladiator better off with sword skills or with club skills?

.- Other than Line Guard, I am not sure what other hoplite skills can be useful to have this early in the game (first 3 floors). Any tips?

.- All tings said, I've founding myself playing in a very melee/combat style, I don't think I've cast an offensive spell at all. I just don't feel compelled to train the Zodiac because using or wasting TP early in the game is a pain in the ass so I am actively avoiding it. Am I doing it wrong? past EO games could be nearly unbeatable without magic so I am a bit concerned. Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

Totakeke

sphinx said:
Pureauthor, thanks for the explanation.

just played a bit more, I am afraid of the EO games, once I start I can't stop, I have to force myself to go save and turn off the DS.

so anyway... I have the feeling I am not leveling my characters that well so maybe I can get some tips from people in later stratums.

Questions:

.- I have been allocating my gladiator's SPs to strike based skills in hopes of getting "Nine smashes", as it looks like a nice offensive skills. Is it worth it? Is a gladiator better off with sword skills or with club skills?

.- Other than Line Guard, I am not sure what other hoplite skills can be useful to have this early in the game (first 3 floors). Any tips?

.- All tings said, I've founding myself playing in a very melee/combat style, I don't think I've cast an offensive spell at all. I just don't feel compelled to train the Zodiac because using or wasting TP early in the game is a pain in the ass so I am actively avoiding it. Am I doing it wrong? past EO games could be nearly unbeatable without magic so I am a bit concerned. Thoughts and opinions are welcome.

I'm just starting the third stratum so my advice may not be the best.

Nine smashes is cool, but it gives a significant penalty to Hit and the penalty increases the more points you put into it. So if you want to use nine smashes, your can tailor equipment to provide those needed Hit stats, however the more common and much better way is to just subclass your gladiator with arbalist as they have passive skills that increase Hit. Thus if you go nine smashes, you're pretty much stuck with a defined subclass.

Bodyguard is also quite useful I've found especially if you have a prince/princess. Even without, it's very useful to save someone from the verge of death. Provoke is always a good thing to have, also the class skill (first one) is very good as at rank 10, you get 40% damage decrease. Parry and magic parry follows that and the elemental guard skills probably come later.

Not sure about how Zodiac ends up late game, but pure offensive spells haven't really been necessary so far and I've been running a Zodiac all the time. The prophecy spells could let you beat bosses sooner than you're supposed to, but otherwise they're not really crucial.

Totakeke said:
It's not an island to the west, it's Armoroad. Follow the island coast to the west and keep looking at the island until you can do something with it.

Totakeke

ScrabbleDude said:
It's not an island to the west, it's Armoroad. Follow the island coast to the west and keep looking at the island until you can do something with it.

Huh. Pretty sure I did that long before. It's the one facing the mountain right? Don't you have to do that even before you can reach the lighthouse? Maybe it's a bug?

Neo C.

sphinx said:
past EO games could be nearly unbeatable without magic so I am a bit concerned. Thoughts and opinions are welcome.
Not really, alchemists aren't a very important class in the former EO games, and there are only a few enemies with extremely strong physical defense.

In EO III, your princess can give you elemental attack, if you don't like to train zodiacs.

Crazetex

Alchemists were great for getting rare drops, though. I mean, Gunner had elemental attacks in EO2, but meh.

We can just ignore those stupid weapon-type spells in EO2, though. I actually trained a STR-Alchemist for them. Lost hours of my life. :<

sphinx

the piano man
Neo C. said:
Not really, alchemists aren't a very important class in the former EO games, and there are only a few enemies with extremely strong physical defense.

In EO III, your princess can give you elemental attack, if you don't like to train zodiacs.

I could be wrong since I played EO 1 and 2 long ago but for some the extra quests and bosses, sometimes the lack of a spell, being it for (de)buffing or doing plain elemental damage, was the difference between fail and success.

Wasn't the hexer the overpowered class in EO2? Can't remember why but I think to remember it had a couple of spells that made a substantial difference.

Hexer's were gamebreakingly powerful in EO2, yes.

There are plenty of ways to pack elemental damage in this game, so it shouldn't be that big a deal to lack a couple of classes. Personally, though, I'd just make at least one of every class, since in EO3 it's easier than ever to bring them up to speed.

botticus

5th stratum completed. Found the final boss relatively easy at level 61/62. Going to take a break before a New Game+, but that was a fantastic run.

Althane

So is there a reason NOT to subclass?

Just curious, I'm holding off before I get some advice, but I'm planning on doing this:

Prince / Ninja (Evasion boost, I hear, is useful)
Monk / Wildling (Calling animals to give me binds)

I also have an Arbalist, Hoplite, and Gladiator that're my normal party, anyone have any suggestions as to what classes are good for them?

Oh, the Arbalist is elemental-shot based, the Hoplite is tank-based (1 point in provoke, the rest in guarding and damage reducing skills), and the Gladiator is Sword based (bash, rush, and maxed out sword mastery and combat)

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Althane said:
So is there a reason NOT to subclass?

Just curious, I'm holding off before I get some advice, but I'm planning on doing this:

Prince / Ninja (Evasion boost, I hear, is useful)
Monk / Wildling (Calling animals to give me binds)

I also have an Arbalist, Hoplite, and Gladiator that're my normal party, anyone have any suggestions as to what classes are good for them?

Oh, the Arbalist is elemental-shot based, the Hoplite is tank-based (1 point in provoke, the rest in guarding and damage reducing skills), and the Gladiator is Sword based (bash, rush, and maxed out sword mastery and combat)

Even if you don't use the skills from the new tree it is five free skill points.

You can also retrain it at any time for the low cost of 5 levels by resting.

Althane

5 levels right now isn't exactly a low cost. ;)

I'm gonna go do that, see if it helps me in my fight against the OMGWWTFRAPE Ones

Totakeke

Wow, you can actually get more rewards by repeating the sea quests? Mind blown.

Actually that's bad, now I'm tempted to do them all again.

Does anyone remember what item does the conditional drop form the Ghost Ship unlock? I've had no luck so far and I want to know if it's worth it.

Edit: Also, how do the weapon skills work with subclassing? Can you equip the equipment that your subclass can equip? If you can't, then how do those weapon specific subclass skills work?

Totakeke said:
Does anyone remember what item does the conditional drop form the Ghost Ship unlock? I've had no luck so far and I want to know if it's worth it.

Edit: Also, how do the weapon skills work with subclassing? Can you equip the equipment that your subclass can equip? If you can't, then how do those weapon specific subclass skills work?

You get a Rapier named Jolly Roger when you combine it with another job.

As for subclassing, you need to put 1 point into the Weapon Mastery skill of the weapon you want before you can equip their weapons.

Ruzai

Totakeke said:
Wow, you can actually get more rewards by repeating the sea quests? Mind blown.

Actually that's bad, now I'm tempted to do them all again.

Sort of. I thought so, too, and went back and refought all three battles of the first three sea bosses to check.

What seems to be the case is each quest has one unique named item that it will reward you with. In addition, on of each three quests has a limit scroll attached to it that overrides the standard reward. So on first success you get the limit and on second success you get the normal named item. Any further battles don't get more rewards, and the two quests that give the unique item on a first success will never have anything else to give.

That is unless results are randomized, and I just hit an amazing streak of repetition. But I think the former is more likely.

Boogiepop

Are all harvest point for a stratum equivalent, or does which floor they're on matter, or perhaps even which of the harvest points on the floor you're harvesting?
Finally started using my farmer from my extras to harvest stuff, and I was wondering about this.

Althane

Got past the bastards. The
Deepest One
is a creepy motherfucker.

Adding subclasses helped, I gave my Farmer Wildling, and had him call the headbind beast. Wasn't as good without the Wildling skill behind it, but it still worked well. Farmer died in the end, and I didn't have the nectar to revive him, but it was already GG for them anyways.

I subclassed Monk/Prince, and I have a Prince/Ninja. The passive heals are amazing.

Althane

Mank said:
Finished off the Second Stratum. Now to spend way too long pondering how to subclass my team before I continue :|

Be warned that the Third Stratum is the beefiest yet. Brutally so. You'll meet your first real roadblock there, most likely.

If anyone didn't get the art book or wants it, I went to a Fry's (in Plano, Texas) and they were selling the art book for $5. They had ~10 copies or so, which seemed to be more copies than they had of the game. If you bought the game, you still got the art book with it.

Althane

Dammit, EO shouldn't have given me a choice... now I'm stuck trying to think of what I want to do...

Torn between backing the City, or the Senate...

Althane said:
Dammit, EO shouldn't have given me a choice... now I'm stuck trying to think of what I want to do...

Torn between backing the City, or the Senate...

There's a New Game+, and given that you get one class per run, they game expects you to try both.

Of course there's the 'True' ending.

Totakeke

Ruzai said:
Sort of. I thought so, too, and went back and refought all three battles of the first three sea bosses to check.

What seems to be the case is each quest has one unique named item that it will reward you with. In addition, on of each three quests has a limit scroll attached to it that overrides the standard reward. So on first success you get the limit and on second success you get the normal named item. Any further battles don't get more rewards, and the two quests that give the unique item on a first success will never have anything else to give.

That is unless results are randomized, and I just hit an amazing streak of repetition. But I think the former is more likely.

You're right.

Pureauthor said:

You probably should spoiler that.

Althane

Pureauthor said:
There's a New Game+, and given that you get one class per run, they game expects you to try both.

Of course there's the 'True' ending.

What carries through in a New Game +?

Althane said:
What carries through in a New Game +?

Everything except storyline key items.

This includes chests and quests, which frankly sucks. It's mostly just so you can speed through the game and select the other options.

Althane

Ah.

So it sounds like a "Congrats, now own your way through the game again to get the other storyline options".

Which works for me!

Neo C.

I died the first time, because I was too stupid to realize what Narmer is doing, lol.

Question: How can I get the second item of the Scylla Crab?

sphinx

the piano man
Neo C. said:
I died the first time, because I was too stupid to realize what Narmer is doing, lol.

exactly playing against that boss and would have died if I did't turn my DS off :lol

for your info, the boss is
weak against Volt attacks
and the Scylla Crab item doesn't seem to be conditional, so I don't know.

Neo C. said:

If it's in the second slot, that means it just has a low drop rate.

charlequin said:
Sounds ideal to me, actually.

8 coupons. Forever.

*sobs*

Neo C.

I was kinda disappointed when I reached the 2nd stratum. I thought the game contains as many stages as in the prequels.

Edit: I got a hoplite with the elemental attack, but the boss wasn't really dangerous except when he does a certain move.

Neo C. said:
I was kinda disappointed when I reached the 2nd stratum. I thought the game contains as many stages as in the prequels.

Edit: I got a hoplite with the elemental attack, but the boss wasn't really dangerous except when he does a certain move.

25 maps/floors total. Game has more than enough bosses and quests to keep you going, though.

Althane

Man, third stratum gets much beefier... even though I'm probably overleveled for the boss, it's painful to work my way through the levels.

Is it me, or is the encounter rate there much, much higher? I feel like I take four steps before having to kill another two dinosaurs.

So, I caved yesterday and bought EO3. I'm very early in the game, just a few hours, but wanted to write about it anyway because I already know I'm going to love this, just like the first game...

I played a lot of the first game after getting it shortly after its release in 2007, but for some stupid reason never got EO2. I really, really should have, I love this series and definitely regret not playing the second one… I’ll have to get it sometime, but its price is going nowhere but up.

I was a little unsure if I wanted to get EO3 now or wait a little while before getting it, but remembering that I said that about EO2 and then never bought it helped push me towards getting it. Then when I saw a copy in a local store new, with the artbook (which was a preorder bonus from participating retailers bonus; evidently this local chain is a participating retailer. :) ), I knew I had to get it.

It took all of two minutes into the game when I knew I’d made a good decision, and made me really wonder again why I ever didn’t get the second game… I love the EO games, and now that I’m back into it I realized I’d been missing it. This one’s classic EO, but with some new features as well. I’m still quite early in the game so I can’t say too much, but I like some of the new stuff — the sailing portion is cool, for instance. Evidently the stratums are longer this time, and there are only 25 floors, which is a little disappointing; EO1 had six stratums, each 5 floors long (30 total). The last was a bonus, postgame-content stratum, so it also had 25 main floors, but I haven’t heard of a bonus stratum this time. They did add the sea part to add some stuff, but that’s different, you don’t play that like a dungeon. I like the sea part — the movement range system, exploration of the oceans, etc. is quite fun — but it’s not a replacement for a bonus stratum, if indeed there isn’t one. Well, we’ll see, I know there is bonus postgame content for sure at least (read: really hard optional bosses). I know that either way the game will have a ridiculous amount of content, and that like the first one I’ll probably never finish most of it, as too much of it requires a lot of grinding. I like the game as long as I can keep going, but in EO1 for instance the postgame part really was ridiculous grinding-wise if you didn’t have exactly the right party (respecing your entire party/replacing party members with new people you now have to level up to max to exactly the party needed for the insanely difficult special bosses, specifically). EO2 was even worse, from what I’ve heard, if you wanted to optionally get above level 70 (the first game’s max). EO3 sounds like it’s sort of in between, getting to level 99 isn’t quite as insane, but it still does require getting through the postgame bosses.

Anyway, the EO games are just so much fun. Party creation is great, with all-new classes and artwork this time to mix things up; EO2 brought back all the old classes with a few new additions, but this time it’s all new. 12 classes total, 2 hidden. EO1 had 9 classes at the start, 2 more hidden; EO2 had 14 total, 3 new, but I’m not sure if they were hidden. There is also an alternate color sets for all the portraits this time, too, which is pretty cool, more options. You then explore the dungeon, map it out as you go, fight FOE bosses, farm resources, do quests, figure out the mystery of the dungeon (will it be another surprise somewhat bad ending like the first two games had? At this point though it wouldn’t really be a surprise anymore would it…), and more. It’s great classic dungeon crawling fun. There’s lots of challenge, some grinding (some optional, some not as much), hard bosses, normal enemies that you will have to think to fight, so there’s no autopilot here, and more.

This time though as I’ve said you also can go to sea, so you travel the seas, explore, find islands, fish, and do other stuff. You can only travel as far as the food you purchased before setting off will let you go, so you have a movement range. It’s an interesting system, putting a little realism into the sea exploration while also making it so that you can’t just go anywhere right from the start. Each voyage costs money too, so you’d better make it in the dungeon, or use some voyages for fishing to make back the cash. There's no combat at sea, evidently, which is interesting. I don't mind, exploration is a lot of fun, but it does make me wonder how important it is. I mean, there's only the one dungeon, right? The sea part seems sort of peripheral... eh, whatever. It's fun, and there seems to be plenty to do. The dungeon is obviously the central feature of the game and not this, though.

Overall, I’m very early in the game, but I’m definitely loving it so far. Anyone who likes EO should pick it up, preferably with the artbook if you can find a copy with it (Amazon’s copies still come with the artbook for instance, I believe). The artbook has full-sized pages, so it’s not some tiny little DS case sized thing. It is only 60 pages long so it definitely isn’t comprehensive, and I do find it disappointing that there isn’t more in it — I’d love to have seen more of the prelim sketches of characters and their equipment, art for all of the stratums in EOs 1 and 2 and not just some of them, the EO2 art for the EO1 classes (while all 11 original classes returned in EO2, and their costumes are the same, they were redrawn in new poses for the second game. None of this art is in the book, only the art for the new classes.), and more, for a short-ish artbook it’s pretty cool, and it was definitely worth getting.

http://sq3.atlusnet.jp/special/sp_blogparts.html

The above link is to a neat little image creator, probably mentioned here somewhere (and not on the US EO3 site). Too bad you can't post them here. :)

My starting party is a Gladiator, Monk, and Princess in the front row, and a Zodiac and Wilding in the back row. I created a bunch more characters though, so when I have to switch to some others — and in an EO game that’s an inevitability — they’re ready. The function to give non party members XP sounds great, I'll definitely have to use that... in the first game that was a constant problem, and my second party never got above the mid 30s levelwise because it just got too tiresome to keep leveling everyone up separately. This feature would be fantastic for that.

Oh yeah, and it is too bad that evidently you can't carry over anything from the previous games to this one. I know it's all new classes and stuff, but still, too bad...

mrpeabody

A Black Falcon said:
Oh yeah, and it is too bad that evidently you can't carry over anything from the previous games to this one. I know it's all new classes and stuff, but still, too bad...

Are there any DS games that let you do this?

Top Bottom