• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Just picked up the only copy my GameStop got it.

There was no instruction manual inside. Is this the same for everyone? My copy was gutted so perhaps it got it got lost along the way...
The one I got from Amazon didn't have a physical manual either. Just a health and safety booklet.

Lame, Atlus. LAAAAME.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Not sure why everyone thinks the sniper's binds don't work often enough. With arm/leg snipe at level 4, I've been able to bind things about as well as I expect. Normal enemies are bound pretty reliably, foes I usually get 1 arm bind and 1 leg bind over the course of the battle, and I was able to bind the first real boss (and doing so wrecked him pretty hard).

Anteo

Not sure why everyone thinks the sniper's binds don't work often enough. With arm/leg snipe at level 4, I've been able to bind things about as well as I expect. Normal enemies are bound pretty reliably, foes I usually get 1 arm bind and 1 leg bind over the course of the battle, and I was able to bind the first real boss (and doing so wrecked him pretty hard).

The RNG is with you.

Alright I have a lot of questions I'm gonna bombard you guys with :p

1. What are the benefits of the Nightseeker's different skills? I've been focusing on getting my blind rate up, and don't really see the point of spreading myself thin with all the other different status effects. Am I missing something here?

2. How many points are you putting into Counter/Chase samba? They seem pretty useful in theory, but I don't want to waste the skill points needed to test them.

3. I saw these weird white floaty things on the map when I was in my airship but they disappeared before I could get close to them. What do they do?

4. Aaaaand finally: I have a quest to kill and Angry Baboon or something like that, and I've killed about 7 of the things but my quest remains uncompleted. Is there a special baboon in a special location?

Any help would be greatly appreciated lol :)

Koroviev

Just picked up the only copy my GameStop got it.

There was no instruction manual inside. Is this the same for everyone? My copy was gutted so perhaps it got it got lost along the way...

I'm really not impressed with them atm. I cancelled my FE preorder because I didn't think I'd have time for it, then changed my mind and picked it up from Target on release day. I kept my order for EOIV, but now I'm considering going there and using the credit toward some eshop cards.

I mean, I did pick up a 16GB SD card in anticipation of this possibility...

Now I'm wondering if I should keep the Soul Hackers preorder or not.

Anteo

Alright I have a lot of questions I'm gonna bombard you guys with :p

1. What are the benefits of the Nightseeker's different skills? I've been focusing on getting my blind rate up, and don't really see the point of spreading myself thin with all the other different status effects. Am I missing something here?

2. How many points are you putting into Counter/Chase samba? They seem pretty useful in theory, but I don't want to waste the skill points needed to test them.

3. I saw these weird white floaty things on the map when I was in my airship but they disappeared before I could get close to them. What do they do?

4. Aaaaand finally: I have a quest to kill and Angry Baboon or something like that, and I've killed about 7 of the things but my quest remains uncompleted. Is there a special baboon in a special location?

Any help would be greatly appreciated lol :)

1. Like with any other character, you are not supposed to max all skills. What I want to do is open some of the later efects and then decide which one I'll max.

2 and 3 I don't know :lol, I've seen the white things too.

4. Maybe is to kill it in a specific location? I remember a quest in B1F of Lush Woodlands about killing a monster, you had to go to C5 at the spot where the Comunal Box or whatever is called is. If you don't remember the hints, you can cancel the quest and take it again with no penalties, and you get to see the hints again.

Edit: Just checked in the game, yes the monster you have to kill is at the Communal Box, it's attacking explorers at that location so you are supposed to go there and kill it.

4. Maybe is to kill it in a specific location? I remember a quest in B1F of Lush Woodlands about killing a monster, you had to go to C5 at the spot where the Comunal Box or whatever is called is. If you don't remember the hints, you can cancel the quest and take it again with no penalties, and you get to see the hints again.

Definitely a specific location at a communal box. After that specific encounter, you'll know for sure the quest is complete and redeemable.

scy

Based on my observations, it's more like arm binds halve damage (not sure if it's physical only or all types), head binds greatly reduce accuracy, and leg binds make it impossible for attacks to miss (very important for a certain enemy type introduced in stratum 2!) Also, I think EOIV has the same mechanic used in III, where enemies gain resistance to status effects every time it has been applied to them.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the Accuracy part on Head Bind (it's a smaller effect than Blind) and Evasion part of Leg Bind.

And, yeah, EO4 has the resistances. There's a skill dedicated to removing it :x

quildcard_zpse51be7c3.jpg

Just beat the 2nd Sanctum boss and unlocked
the Arcanist class
. Toughest fight by far. Recorded a video of it and may throw that up on youtube sometime tonight.

Word of advice for those entering the 2nd Stratum..get that leg binding ready!

DustinC

the Arcanist class
. Toughest fight by far. Recorded a video of it and may throw that up on youtube sometime tonight.

Since you're past the 2nd Sanctum I'm going to toss this question to you regarding that area (or anyone else that can answer):
How am I supposed to get the part that allows my Airship to fly up a level so I can access the main dungeon? I've been fulfilling requests for the Red and Blue Airships on both overworld maps for hours, and have yet to see this part. I'm guessing by now that I'm doing something wrong here, but can't figure out what.

I've only managed to catch two, a white one and a red one.
They're "Pookas" and when you defeat one (they only have 1 HP) they drop a book that increases a stat by 1 permanently. You can only use so many per character, though.

Since you're past the 2nd Sanctum I'm going to toss this question to you regarding that area (or anyone else that can answer):
How am I supposed to get the part that allows my Airship to fly up a level so I can access the main dungeon? I've been fulfilling requests for the Red and Blue Airships on both overworld maps for hours, and have yet to see this part. I'm guessing by now that I'm doing something wrong here, but can't figure out what.

The part you need is in the Miasma Forest. You need to "Mine" for it. The mining spot is at A-2

the Arcanist class

how's the sniper doing now? is her leg/arm bind working better now?

Koroviev

As it turns out, the local GS did in fact have exactly one physical copy. I went there to use the credit toward eshop cards, walked out with the physical copy with the extras. I guess today is winning :p

Anteo

I've only managed to catch two, a white one and a red one.
They're "Pookas" and when you defeat one (they only have 1 HP) they drop a book that increases a stat by 1 permanently. You can only use so many per character, though.

Wait you can no longer grind books to have max stats on chars? =/

Well there is that gaffer that said he's been binding FOEs and Bosses left and right

DR2K

Banned
Yeah thank goodness for casual mode, game is still difficult at it's core, but doesn't waste your time with needless restarts.

DustinC

The part you need is in the Miasma Forest. You need to "Mine" for it. The mining spot is at A-2

Awesome, thanks! I clearly missed something at some point. Every time I revisited town the only clue directed me to the airships from what I could find.

The sniper is growing on me, lol. She has the most attack (171) and STR (35) in my party. It won't be as easy for me to switch her out now because of how attached I am.

There are enemies in the 2nd Stratum who are hard to hit unless you bind their legs. I've noticed I've had a better time binding but I don't know if that's because these enemies are weak to it or I'm just getting lucky. Speaking of luck, does it increase the chance of binding? She also has the most luck out of the group (28).

Awesome, thanks! I clearly missed something at some point. Every time I revisited town the only clue directed me to the airships from what I could find.

No problem! I had a tricky time with that part as well.

jony_m

Sorry if already answered but I wanted to avoid spoilers... Can I jump on this one or do I need to play the prev 3? I'm a SMT/Altus fan but I've skipped EO somehow.

Velcro Fly

Anyone have any advice for the Hole-y Terror quest? I feel like my party is pretty good and I've made it to the area where the quest takes place. What exactly am I going to be fighting here?

slayn

needs to show more effort.
The sniper is growing on me, lol. She has the most attack (171) and STR (35) in my party. It won't be as easy for me to switch her out now because of how attached I am.

There are enemies in the 2nd Stratum who are hard to hit unless you bind their legs. I've noticed I've had a better time binding but I don't know if that's because these enemies are weak to it or I'm just getting lucky. Speaking of luck, does it increase the chance of binding? She also has the most luck out of the group (28).

No problem! I had a tricky time with that part as well.
Assuming its the same as EO3, both luck and tec increase binding with luck being worth twice as much as tec. And in my experience with these games, it is not uncommon for normal enemies to be weak to the bind that will wreck them hardest.

scy

Assuming its the same as EO3, both luck and tec increase binding with luck being worth twice as much as tec. And in my experience with these games, it is not uncommon for normal enemies to be weak to the bind that will wreck them hardest.

There was a 3rd Stratum enemy in EO3 that randomly had a like 200% Leg Bind weakness. For some reason. Then there was the post-game boss(es) that could be shut down with Binds or equipping the right items.

Most regular enemies (even most FoEs, honestly) have this. That crippling weakness to exploit. It's one of the biggest changes to how encounters work over the course of the games.

Anyone have any advice for the Hole-y Terror quest? I feel like my party is pretty good and I've made it to the area where the quest takes place. What exactly am I going to be fighting here?

A
single scorpion that you'll see as a regular enemy on the next floor. Just kill it with a Spell of some kind to make the fight go by faster. Only notable thing it does is a high-damage single-target attack that causes Paralysis

Velcro Fly

A
single scorpion that you'll see as a regular enemy on the next floor. Just kill it with a Spell of some kind to make the fight go by faster. Only notable thing it does is a high-damage single-target attack that causes Paralysis

Well my Runemaster is pretty much a beast so I think I can manage that.

I swear I've been playing this game for about 6 hours straight. It's so good. I wasn't too pumped to play the game but now that I am it's got that right mix of gameplay and progression that makes me want to keep playing.

I would post in here but I've been playing for like five hours straight! Just got to the second area. God I love this game.

I just got the QR code to
kill the deer in Valley Spring
but I've already killed him and he hasn't respawned. :( That's what I get for wanting to murder every FOE I see!

I would post in here but I've been playing for like five hours straight! Just got to the second area. God I love this game.

I just got the QR code to
kill the deer in Valley Spring
but I've already killed him and he hasn't respawned. :( That's what I get for wanting to murder every FOE I see!

I don't have the game yet but... F.O.E's respawn after several days, just go rest at the inn or mess around.

spiritfox

Well I have already listened to the soundtrack since last year (bought it!) so I already know how awesome it is. Can't wait for stratum 4.

What are all these QR codes? I haven't played an EO game since the first one. I picked this one up though...didn't play the demo and really have no idea what to expect. I was terrible at the first game. I really have no idea what I'm doing.

What are all these QR codes? I haven't played an EO game since the first one. I picked this one up though...didn't play the demo and really have no idea what to expect. I was terrible at the first game. I really have no idea what I'm doing.

try to make a balanced team, always bring with you some healing items, Medicas, which are cheap!

remember that you can rest your characters(you lose 2 levels and you can respec them, so you can experiment all you want, NOTHING is permanent)

if you're a newbie(nothing wrong with that), I highly recommend a Fortress so you can survive the early game

have fun, this game is a bit easier at the beginning so the player can understand the mechanics. Just don't fight the big monsters at the very beginning, some of them are really powerful and will wipe your team!

The QR codes can be used in the cargo, you can get nice gear at the beginning of the game.

last and most important, don't give up! You can ask whatever you want in here, we are here to help!

Top Bottom