• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

So when Lightning Rune says "melee volt attack", does that mean I need to be in the front row with the Runemaster?

Edit: Also, are there any decisions and things you can screw up? Like I just started and stepped on the locket and chose to open it but was interrupted by the guy. Is this like a Chrono Trigger moment where I shouldn't have been nosy and tried to open it?

If you're smacktalking Pigtails, we may have to have words or fisticuffs
emot-colbert.gif

He may be talkin' smack about Chie Fortress. Dem's fightin' wurds.

Infinite Poison Pills spam.

"Looks like I'll be popular with the ladies again!"

So when Lightning Rune says "melee volt attack", does that mean I need to be in the front row with the Runemaster?

It's has "melee range", so when the R is in the back (where sane mages dwell), it'll only reach the front line of the enemies, but it'll cook the whole line. Thing is, it's sloppy for single target... Runes are definately more interesting this go around.

Anteo

Edit: Also, are there any decisions and things you can screw up? Like I just started and stepped on the locket and chose to open it but was interrupted by the guy. Is this like a Chrono Trigger moment where I shouldn't have been nosy and tried to open it?

There are many events on the Mazes that can give you bad results, like losing some HP, getting ambushed with the enemy having a preventive attack on you (a free turn), etc. However good things can happen too. But nothing that can lock you out of things (at least until the part I've played)

Thoraxes

So someone beat me to it and posted all 81 treasure maps into dropbox (major credit to whoever this person is):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rv8nlf4cld3sziz/jZ4nYJO4ao#/

I just finished scanning the ones I was missing.

If people prefer the spreadsheet I was doing, I also updated that with all the maps using that dropbox link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkUrzpSkfmVIdDk0SmdTNjlUbHA1VkpRTElZZ1JZUFE#gid=0

Take your pick. I may still update the spreadsheet with all the treasures you can earn from these maps.

... I'm confused.

How do I use the spreadsheet? Do I automatically get the items after scanning or what?

Edit: my brain is slowly working. So can I just not get to the locations of the caves listed till later (I only have the first 4 unlocked)? And they are the spots in those caves not the world map?

Edit 2: Ohhhhhhhh I got it. Do I need to use the dowsing rod for it all the time too?

... I'm confused.

How do I use the spreadsheet? Do I automatically get the items after scanning or what?

Edit: my brain is slowly working. So can I just not get to the locations of the caves listed till later (I only have the first 4 unlocked)? And they are the spots in those caves not the world map?

Edit 2: Ohhhhhhhh I got it. Do I need to use the dowsing rod for it all the time too?

Yes, you need the dowsing rod to get the treasures. So if a map tells you to go to D-4, fly around that section and your dowsing rod will tell you when it found something.

Teknoman

Can I just download all the quests and tackle them one by one when strong enough, or can you only have one QR quest downloaded at a time?

Just conquered the boss of Woodlands B3F. What an intense battle with amazing music! But it looks like I need to head back to finish the Lost Ring request. Where should I be looking?

ohlawd

Just conquered the boss of Woodlands B3F. What an intense battle with amazing music! But it looks like I need to head back to finish the Lost Ring request. Where should I be looking?

I forgot what floor exactly (I think the quest description tells) but it'd be on the upper right, in a lone puddle of water.

Teknoman

Who have to fully complete a quest before you can take a new one. Otherwise the new one will just overwrite the old.

Got it. Also I think a good addition to the OP would be lowest recommended level for that specific quest...unless thats obvious depending on the area.

Teknoman

lol the game actually tells you if you arent at a point when you can do the quest, so I guess thats nothing to worry about.

Now to find a good SDcard reader that actually lets me use the new style SDHC card that came with the 3DSXL.

Insaniac

Hey guys, EO newbie here, never played a game like this before, and I DLed the demo and have been playing it and I really enjoy it so far. I just have some questions before I decide whether to purchase it now or not:

How long is the game and what kind of end game / replayability does the game offer?

How high do character levels go? Do i have to concern myself where i spend my skills or will I eventually level up to the point where I will have them all?

how many areas (or mazes I guess) does the game have? I guess what I'm saying is will I find myself wandering around the same few areas a lot or will there be a lot of different areas to fight in?

How grindy is this game?

What're your guys' opinions on EO4 in general? Is it the best of the series?

I started the game on casual mode, what are the differences that I'm missing between casual and normal?

spiritfox

Yes! I finally have time to start playing this game. Decided to go L/F/D S/R. Might switch out the Runemaster or Sniper for an Arcanist later.

No Medic run go!

Hey guys, EO newbie here, never played a game like this before, and I DLed the demo and have been playing it and I really enjoy it so far. I just have some questions before I decide whether to purchase it now or not:

How long is the game and what kind of end game / replayability does the game offer?

How high do character levels go? Do i have to concern myself where i spend my skills or will I eventually level up to the point where I will have them all?

how many areas (or mazes I guess) does the game have? I guess what I'm saying is will I find myself wandering around the same few areas a lot or will there be a lot of different areas to fight in?

How grindy is this game?

What're your guys' opinions on EO4 in general? Is it the best of the series?

I started the game on casual mode, what are the differences that I'm missing between casual and normal?

It's a long ass JRPG dungeon crawler. If it's the same as the previous games, the starting level cap should be 70, with ways to get to 99. However, there will not be enough points to spend on all the skills (including the sub-class). There are many different areas, each with their own theme and design. So don't worry, trees are not the only thing you will see (I hope). Looking at all the previous replies, it seems this is the least grindy of all the EO games.

Casual just gives you an infinite free Adriane's Thread and the brings you back to the inn after a game over. Everything else should be the same.

Saprol

How do you get to your guild card and how do you get a screenshot like that off the 3DS?

The communications wharf inside the city. You can export it and it'll create a folder on your SD card that contains an image of the card as well as a QR code for sharing with others.

Saprol

I just received the airship but data settings is blacked out?

My memory is dodgy and I'm refusing to open my game up 'less I get sucked into playing it some more. Go to 'manage guildcards', select your own, and look at the options on the second page by pressing Y.

You can't share your characters in the demo, if I remember correctly. I was never able to do it anyway.
I never tried loading somebody else's code but I could still export the card/code. This was a Zoolander-joke team I shared in the demo thread:
ibmatm6Vywxb2a.bmp

OceanBlue

I never tried loading somebody else's code but I could still export the card/code. This was a Zoolander-joke team I shared in the demo thread:
ibmatm6Vywxb2a.bmp

Ah, okay. I might be wrong, since I never tried it. My memory is more dodgy than yours, apparently, lol.

Althane

I've gone for swapping out my Dancer for a Medic for grinding people up for acting as a secondary party. Patch Up is too useful at the end of every battle, and it's saving me money on Medicas.

But for my main party, keeping the Dancer. Counter Samba is useful, I slapped a strong bow on her and she pretty much sits in the back line with my Fortress and plinks away at whatever I'm killing.

I'm almost ready for the 3F boss. I think.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I swapped out my Sniper for an Arcanist and I find myself regretting that a little bit. Current team is LFN/DA. I like the arcanist well enough and maxed poison wrecks normal monsters but what I find myself missing is the speed of the binds of the sniper. I liked that the sniper could go before an enemy and bind them to prevent them using their most damaging attack.

I'm also becoming less and less interested in the nightseeker. The occasional 1000 damage hit is cool but without being over leveled the status effects just don't stick often enough against foes that I'm finding them valuable when I need them.

Maybe I'll ditch my night seeker to bring back the sniper and go LFD/SA. Though now my sniper is way behind and I hate grinding someone back up =\

scy

Decided to Retire and re-grind instead of making real progress last night (aka, "Unlocked sub-classing, time to fix my fucking party"). Grinded to 40 and retired down my group:

Landsknecht / Runemaster - Links, occasional free cast (that isn't relevant at all), and just +Elemental Damage. In retrospect, Nightseeker was what I had in mind originally but didn't want another N skillset involved ;_; Oh well, whatever.

Dancer / Nightseeker - Dual Wield Link triggers, just sets up TP cost reduction and chasers. Not ... that much to say?

Nightseeker / Arcanist - Just basically for the later Arcanist passive stuff (didn't make it to 40 last night so no comment).

Fortress / Dancer - 30% Evasion was hard to pass-up. That said, I realized I legitimately have no idea what I want to do with her skillset. I remaxed Heal Wall so I wasn't just sitting on 20-something points. Auto Taunt is cute. I wish you were a DPS slot.

Arcanist / Runemaster - Free TP, sets up weaknesses to be exploited via Links, Arcanist skillset is stupidly good.

Grinding back from 20 was initially going to be dumb. Then I got the 3rd Land Dragon to do a fly-by and got Rare Breed+++ off his Food and decided to cheese a few easy FoEs* by reentering until Shiny and then killing off for 60-100k EXP. So it was 20-23 was slow, decided to switch things up, suddenly 36.

*I say easy but my Fortress died on one and is now two levels behind ;_; The irony of the situation was too much so I didn't reload. Plus, I decided I hate her for forgetting to dodge.

Maybe I'll ditch my night seeker to bring back the sniper and go LFD/SA. Though now my sniper is way behind and I hate grinding someone back up =\

I'll let you know how it pans out with my N/A sub. I figure the Arcanist can cover Binds for FoEs and I'll let my N do his own thing with Blind/Poison to trigger his +Damage Buff Passive (+Class Passive) for his damages. I have setup turns for my Links anyway so it doesn't matter too much to me.

slayn

I'm in the same boat with my fortress/dancer. Taunt, evasion, and heal wall. And then... uh... well... maybe something will look good after I get to 40.

chris-013

I just receive my 3DS XL US and the game !
3 days, that was fast. ^^

I still have some work to do so I can't play until Sunday. :/

scy

Where can I find an explanation for how links work? It's not in the manual and the game doesn't provide any help here.

The Landsknechts Elemental Links? Basically, the Landsknecht hits a target. The next attack THAT TURN on that target will trigger the Link and deal damage. Basically, the Landsknecht marks it and someone else blows it up. This does mean the Landsknecht needs to go before someone since the Link only applies for that turn.

Improved Link (Level 20) will increase the number of follow-ups possible; Link Mastery (Level 40) will increase the damage of every Link that gets triggered.

So the setup is this:

Turn 1) Vanguard; You need to apply the Link BEFORE everyone else acts. Plus, this guarantees you get Initiative triggered. If you sub Nightseeker can equip appropriately, you can probably skip this step but eh, Vanguard buff is nice.
Turn 2) Improved Link; You want your Links to trigger multiple (up to 7) times.
Turn 3) Elemental Link on target.
Turn 4) Elemental Link on target.
Turn 5) Elemental Link on target.

Besides that, you want someone who can generate attacks, hence why Dancer's are usually used.

slayn

Where can I find an explanation for how links work? It's not in the manual and the game doesn't provide any help here.
The L hits an enemy with fire link and does a strength based attack that does fire damage. Then if someone in your party hits the same enemy this round they will do fire damage equivalent to roughly 40% of the original L's fire link hit in addition to their own attack.

There is a later buff, improved link, that allows more than a single follow up to happen but for each link to activate that enemy has to be hit after the initial link attack and it has to happen this round. This maxes out at 7 links so to take full advantage of it you need to be able to generate 7 more attacks against the same enemy on that round and slower than the L's initial attack.

There are probably many easy ways to do this, but the easiest is going to be to first buff yourself with vanguard to ensure you go first and have a dancer because they specialize at making multiple attacks per round.

Note that skills that hit many times, like a sniper's squall shot, only count as 1 attack and thus will only have a single link follow up. But duel wielding actually counts as 2 attacks and will trigger 2 links.

Thanks, that clarified things for me. I haven't made much use of links so far and am resting my party to respec for veteran skills. It would seem like my L/F/N R/M party isn't ideal for using links.

Ryuukan

The Landsknechts Elemental Links? Basically, the Landsknecht hits a target. The next attack THAT TURN on that target will trigger the Link and deal damage. Basically, the Landsknecht marks it and someone else blows it up. This does mean the Landsknecht needs to go before someone since the Link only applies for that turn.

Improved Link (Level 20) will increase the number of follow-ups possible; Link Mastery (Level 40) will increase the damage of every Link that gets triggered.

So the setup is this:

Turn 1) Vanguard; You need to apply the Link BEFORE everyone else acts. Plus, this guarantees you get Initiative triggered. If you sub Nightseeker can equip appropriately, you can probably skip this step but eh, Vanguard buff is nice.
Turn 2) Improved Link; You want your Links to trigger multiple (up to 7) times.
Turn 3) Elemental Link on target.
Turn 4) Elemental Link on target.
Turn 5) Elemental Link on target.

Besides that, you want someone who can generate attacks, hence why Dancer's are usually used.

How do Dancers generate attacks and please explain what "chasing" is

scy

Squall Shot should trigger Links multiple times but at a reduced proc rate (~50%). The same for Runemaster's multi-hit spells.

How do Dancers generate attacks and please explain what "chasing" is

Sword Dance from Dancer will increase the amount of times they attack. Dancer with a Nightseeker sub can Dual Wield and get Sword Dance to work on both weapon swings so they can attack for something around 10 times in a single round (though it's highly unlikely; expect around 4-5 on average when Dual Wielding + Sword Dance).

"Chasing" is when someone follows-up an attack from someone else with an attack of their own aka they "chase" an attack. It's a leftover term from prior games where Landsknect's had abilities called Chasers that would do an Elemental Attack on a target hit by the corresponding Element. Basically, the Links but in reverse.

Dancer's Samba line are basically Chaser abilities though. Follow up the attacks of others or have others follow up their attacks.

duckroll

How's the story in this? I don't mind grinding my ass off but I need some story or character development to push me.

It's hard to answer the question without knowing what you expectations of a story in a dungeon crawler is. As far as character development goes, there isn't going to be much at all, because the NPCs are all characters who have assigned roles (innkeeper, storekeeper, dude who gives missions, chick who gives quests, dude you run into in dungeons who warns you about shit, etc) and all the party members are characters you create yourself. It's definitely not a character based narrative in any form whatsoever.

But there is a story in the game. There are events as you progress through the dungeons, things happen, but they're not really developed in a way which is much of a story hook most of the time, because the gameplay speaks for itself. If you don't enjoy the gameplay, you won't enjoy the game. It's not a game where you grind and grind either. It's a dungeon crawler where you explore dungeons to find treasures and exits, mapping your way through and noting shortcuts and so on. It's addictive for people who like that sort of gameplay, and that's the main hook of the game.

slayn

Squall Shot should trigger Links multiple times but at a reduced proc rate (~50%). The same for Runemaster's multi-hit spells.
I tried it once with squall shot and only got 1 link but maybe I got stupidly unlucky.

Top Bottom