• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

khaaan

"Yeah, my team is strong! I was farming the Cutters in the demo!"

*Walk into second cave*

*meet mama FOE*

OH DEER GOD!

Edit: My Nightseeker seems to be having trouble landing his blinds once I got into the second floor and dungeon. Should I get a TEC ring or something to boost chances?

I'm new to this particular style of RPG's, what does FOE stand for?

scy

Foedus Obrepit Errabundus ("The vile, wandering one sneaks up" if I recall).

Field-On Enemy for the original Japanese version.

Ricker

Found the last copy they had at Best Buy,yay,now to transfer the demo save and erase it...reached level 8 in the demo and I was in fact playing normal...I dont want to get stuck like in EO1 so I'll go casual,I really want to finish this one.

Not being able to decide what kind of party I want is literally stopping me from even opening the box...

If I go with a Nightseeker, I feel like I can't use a Dancer or Sniper. If I go with Dancer, I can throw a Sniper in the back row with a Runemaster, but then I don't have room for the Nightseeker up front (L/F there already)

This time around, I'm not really all that crazy about the character portraits, except for Sniper, Medic, and Nightseeker, but then again, its really not all that smart to pick based solely on portraits...

vall03

woah! the eShop version of the game is worth 50 coins on Club Nintendo and theres still an additional 10 coins after post-play survey.

Xemu

I hope you enjoyed your little rebellion, irritant. But remember, what SHODAN gives she is more than able to take away.
Help me GAF! I'm only partway through EO3 and I cannot decide whether to finish that game off or jump right into EO4.

I was loving EO3 even though it regularly kicked my ass... I'm sure I'll love EO4 too but once I move forward not sure I'll ever really go back.

So is EO4 so good that it's worth abandoning my poor EO3 guild?

Also, don't the QR codes feel a little bit like cheating? Or do they have in-game limiters that make them not just free money / stuff?

scy

Not being able to decide what kind of party I want is literally stopping me from even opening the box...

If I go with a Nightseeker, I feel like I can't use a Dancer or Sniper. If I go with Dancer, I can throw a Sniper in the back row with a Runemaster, but then I don't have room for the Nightseeker up front (L/F there already)

This time around, I'm not really all that crazy about the character portraits, except for Sniper, Medic, and Nightseeker, but then again, its really not all that smart to pick based solely on portraits...

L/N/F
D/R or S

Should work perfectly fine. You can rotate the Fortress to the back and the Dancer up front as needed for harder fights. I'm perfectly fine with my L/N/F | D/R (soon to be D/A when I get around to retiring or something) party.

Is this a game I can play through without constantly referring to a guide or min/maxing?

For the main game, yes. Post-game may require more specific things but a lot of the mechanics in the game are a lot more general this time around so it's easier to make a working end-game party.

Another EO game, another set of profiles. I love doing these.

“So this is what they call ‘Beef Steak’? I must say it smells heavenly.”

AHAHAHAHA.

Man I love these; so glad you do them.

"Yeah, my team is strong! I was farming the Cutters in the demo!"

*Walk into second cave*

*meet mama FOE*

OH DEER GOD!

Edit: My Nightseeker seems to be having trouble landing his blinds once I got into the second floor and dungeon. Should I get a TEC ring or something to boost chances?

Shiny Cutters are for no joke either. And that rapelope is DEAD once I get some anti-confusion accessories. DEAD.

lingiii

Banned
Amazing. I'm now looking forward to resting my team at lvl 22. I feel like I've wasted some points and everyone is only lvl 15.

yeah, definitely hold off until 22 though, so you have access to both tiers as you start over with your master plan. Tiny Cartridge had a story about EOIV the other day with a link to a skill calculator if that helps you plan out. I'm on a phone right now or I'd look it up myself.

edit: here's the tiny cartridge article I referenced. also has some QR codes: http://tinycartridge.com/post/44148739363/heres-the-line-that-helped-etrian-odyssey-iv

L/N/F
D/R or S

Should work perfectly fine. You can rotate the Fortress to the back and the Dancer up front as needed for harder fights. I'm perfectly fine with my L/N/F | D/R (soon to be D/A when I get around to retiring or something) party.

For the main game, yes. Post-game may require more specific things but a lot of the mechanics in the game are a lot more general this time around so it's easier to make a working end-game party.

Thanks for the suggestion Scy. In your scenario, what is the Dancer doing in general from the back row? I assume when up front you are dancing to heal and power people up...

scy

Thanks for the suggestion Scy. In your scenario, what is the Dancer doing in general from the back row? I assume when up front you are dancing to heal and power people up...

She has a Bow equipped so she attacks for full damage from the back when not dancing. I'm getting to the point though that my Fortress is just better off full-time in the back row and I can make my Dancer a permanent front line fixture.

She has a Bow equipped so she attacks for full damage from the back when not dancing. I'm getting to the point though that my Fortress is just better off full-time in the back row and I can make my Dancer a permanent front line fixture.

Gotcha

I might just try that out...

Then again, this will all go to crap once the three other classes get unlocked (how long does that take btw? anyone know?)

Also, I really wish all of the Fortress portraits weren't TERRIBLE

Edit: So I made one of each class, and the only portraits I really love are Land, Medic, Sniper, and Nightseeker. I have to have a Fort in the party because I want one. I kind of wanted a Dancer but maybe now I don't care. I have no interest in the Runemaster but I know I'd be better off with a mage...

Ugh, Should I just do L/F/N and then M/S in the back? I feel like I'd be losing out with no Runemaster...

zashga

Shiny Cutters are for no joke either. And that rapelope is DEAD once I get some anti-confusion accessories. DEAD.

Those guys aren't so bad if you have a medic with the line-wide status cure spell. They still managed to hand me my first game over, though. It's a series tradition!

Bururian

Those guys aren't so bad if you have a medic with the line-wide status cure spell. They still managed to hand me my first game over, though. It's a series tradition!

Didn't get my fist party wipe until the third floor at level 17. Almost beat the boss. ALMOST

Also, I really wish all of the Fortress portraits weren't TERRIBLE

If you're smacktalking Pigtails, we may have to have words or fisticuffs
emot-colbert.gif

And what's wrong with the short-haired girl, even?

Actually, this leads into a wider question: am I the only one who feels almost compelled use the "bob-cut Landsknecht" and "pigtailed Fortress"? They're so prominent in the artwork that it almost feels wrong to not use the both of them, like the game would be missing something.

vareon

If you're smacktalking Pigtails, we may have to have words or fisticuffs
emot-colbert.gif

And what's wrong with the short-haired girl, even?

Actually, this leads into a wider question: am I the only one who feels almost compelled use the "bob-cut Landsknecht" and "pigtailed Fortress"? They're so prominent in the artwork that it almost feels wrong to not use the both of them, like the game would be missing something.

Not in this game, but I always do this in the previous games.

Saprol

I've already forgotten who's on the game cover. I still like the bandanna-wearing Landsknecht more.

ohlawd

I've already forgotten who's on the game cover. I still like the bandanna-wearing Landsknecht more.

yeah I'm using that one as my Landsfhudsfbhsb.
Her portrait is so shiny :3

Same with the bobbed hair Fortress. I think she looks better than the other one.

vall03

I want to put an Arcanist in my party but I don't know class to remove. My current party is Dancer/Nightseeker/Landsknecht - Fortress/Runemaster, and I've been using this team since the demo and had little to no problems with my current set-up. If I can pull off a status every time then my Nightseeker wont need much set-up and will always deal max damage all the time. Im still deciding between the Landsknecht or Runemaster, what do you guys think?

Okay, so my Land is guaranteed a spot, as is my Fortress.

The other three slots are as follows:

I looooove the look of the Nightseeker, so I'd like to use one

I don't really care about the Dancer either way anymore

I like the look of the one Medic, which I named "Bowman" (extra points to whoever gets that)

I LOVE the one Sniper portrait, probably my favorite in the game, but I feel like I'm having the hardest time fitting a Sniper into my party (seems like I can get either a Sniper or a Nightseeker to make sense, but not both at the same time)

Runemaster I honestly don't care about, but I kind of feel I need and want an elemental user.

From these descriptions, what suggestions do you guys have for me to fill out my party?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on L/F/N M/R but that makes me sad that I'm leaving out the sniper...

lingiii

Banned
Okay, so my Land is guaranteed a spot, as is my Fortress.

The other three slots are as follows:

I looooove the look of the Nightseeker, so I'd like to use one

I don't really care about the Dancer either way anymore

I like the look of the one Medic, which I named "Bowman" (extra points to whoever gets that)

I LOVE the one Sniper portrait, probably my favorite in the game, but I feel like I'm having the hardest time fitting a Sniper into my party (seems like I can get either a Sniper or a Nightseeker to make sense, but not both at the same time)

Runemaster I honestly don't care about, but I kind of feel I need and want an elemental user.

From these descriptions, what suggestions do you guys have for me to fill out my party?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on L/F/N M/R but that makes me sad that I'm leaving out the sniper...

You can totally do without Runester if you dump points into iceknife for nightstalker and links for Lands. Unfortunately, Lands only starts to really juice up his elem links after level 20, allowing multiple links / turn. plus, a bunch of bosses/FOEs early on have elem weakness. If you're new you definitely need a Runester to start, but you can probably dump him after the first land.

scy

Infinite Poison Pills spam.

L/F/N M/S wouldn't be completely terrible. You can make the L focus on Links and Nightseeker with Ice Knife to get your elemental damage early on and you can get a Burst skill for the Medic to use for the rare times you need a big TEC based Elemental nuke.

Nightseeker and Sniper don't necessarily have bad synergy together but it's more a case that an Arcanist is what really sets them up and an Arcanist has to choose one or the other to power per turn. That said, Nightseeker's have a Passive +20% Damage buff per Status effect THEY inflict so you can replace the Medic eventually with an Arcanist and have them spam Binds for your Sniper while you leave the Nightseeker to itself.

I'm really enjoying my time so far in EOIV. As someone who sunk about 50 (very much an estimation) hours in only the first game, it's weird seeing how much better this plays even with little things like selling multiples of the same item, more detailed quest explanations, and hell even the innkeeper asking if you want to save when you rest added in.

I'm still mad that I couldn't get myself break my original party (Landsaskatchewan, Fortress, Medic, Elementalist, and Sniper) in favor of something fresh.

ohlawd

does Chase Samba (I think that's what it is) only work for normal attacks and physical skills?
Same question for Landfrefewjr's Link skills.

Infinite Poison Pills spam.

L/F/N M/S wouldn't be completely terrible. You can make the L focus on Links and Nightseeker with Ice Knife to get your elemental damage early on and you can get a Burst skill for the Medic to use for the rare times you need a big TEC based Elemental nuke.

Nightseeker and Sniper don't necessarily have bad synergy together but it's more a case that an Arcanist is what really sets them up and an Arcanist has to choose one or the other to power per turn. That said, Nightseeker's have a Passive +20% Damage buff per Status effect THEY inflict so you can replace the Medic eventually with an Arcanist and have them spam Binds for your Sniper while you leave the Nightseeker to itself.

YOU WIN! You never disappoint scy

Eh, I really don't want to have to force the Night and Land into elemental skills just to make up for the Sniper, so what I think I'm going to do is forget about the Sniper and use a Runemaster until I get the Arcanist, then replace the Runemaster with that. Sound good?

So, now that I got that out of the way, any suggestions for starting/early game skills to dump points into for a team of:

L/F/N
M/R

scy

YOU WIN! You never disappoint scy

Poison Pills Poison Pills Popoipoisppoisppois oh god bowman stahp spamming

Never forget.

Eh, I really don't want to have to force the Night and Land into elemental skills just to make up for the Sniper, so what I think I'm going to do is forget about the Sniper and use a Runemaster until I get the Arcanist, then replace the Runemaster with that. Sound good?

Well, Landsknecht's best combo build is Link based, it's just weak early game (then again, it also kind of wants a Dancer to power it). Nightseeker's most reliable early game damage is Ice Knife and you'll spec 3 points into it anyway to move up their tree. Since Resting is only 2 Levels now, it's not _that_ big of a deal. Plus, you can then replace your Medic with an Arcanist and keep the Nightseeker and Sniper.

But, your choice in the end.

So, now that I got that out of the way, any suggestions for starting/early game skills to dump points into for a team of:

L/F/N
M/R

Landsknecht - Power Break helps and I'm a fan of Vanguard since it's cheap and gives you extra power for multiple turns (and it's a safe due to the Fortress).

Fortress - Taunt~

Nightseeker - Ice Knife -> Biding Cut and Sand Throw. Blade Flurry is a good investment just so you have better random encounter damage.

Medic - Dunno, haven't looked into them that hard. Patch Up.

Runemaster - My preference is the Volt tree (strongest Tier 1 and Tier 2 spells). I wouldn't put more than the pre-requisite cost for these, however. Runic Gleam is worth maxing and then all their passives are good to have.

I'm just laughing at all the various Landsknecht misspellings.

After all these years, I'll always get Landsknecht right ;_;

Would it take all that long to catch another class up later on in the game if you just throw them in the back of your party for a while? I might just do that later on...

Some of my friends wanted this game but did not wanted the eshop version.

So i collected money and cleaned up the san diego area :D woot!

*all the ones i got had the cd and strangely enough, weren't gutted

So someone beat me to it and posted all 81 treasure maps into dropbox (major credit to whoever this person is):

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rv8nlf4cld3sziz/jZ4nYJO4ao#/

I just finished scanning the ones I was missing.

If people prefer the spreadsheet I was doing, I also updated that with all the maps using that dropbox link:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkUrzpSkfmVIdDk0SmdTNjlUbHA1VkpRTElZZ1JZUFE#gid=0

Take your pick. I may still update the spreadsheet with all the treasures you can earn from these maps.

Top Bottom