• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

lingiii

Banned
Are those the flying marshmellows? How do you catch them? I have tried but failed on each occasion.

they're tough early on. you can attract them with all gold foods or certain mid-tier foods. they get much easier in the late game when you can move two squares at once.

when you fight them, they have 1 HP and drop a book that lets you perma-increase one stat of one of your characters (up to 10 times / stat / char).

EDIT actually or maybe 10 times / char I'm not certain.

Sleepy

Question.

How easy is it to get into the Etrian Odyssey games?

The demo is the first EO I have played, and I am fucking hooked--11 hours and 39 minutes for just the demo. They are tough and reward slow exploration, but it is a great experience so far.

I am familiar the style of the game, but are the combat mechanics and character building easy to understand?

I've played some dungeon crawlers where those parts were kind of cryptic.

Sleepy

Oh, yeah easy enough...but it seems that there is some complexity in figuring out the buffs, crits, etc. But I think you can go through without understanding it all.

Anteo

I am familiar the style of the game, but are the combat mechanics and character building easy to understand?

I've played some dungeon crawlers where those parts were kind of cryptic.

Is easy and really forgiving, you can reset all your skill points at any time in the game at cost of 2 levels. Also the skill tree is really easy to undestand and you get a small explanaton of what a spell does and what weapon requires (if it requires one at all)

7ELyK0Y.jpg

B.K.

I was checking Gamestop's store locator a couple days ago and every store within 100 miles says low stock. Did Atlus undership the game? I was going to hunt down a copy yesterday, but I locked my keys in my vehicle and had to pay a $70 fee for a locksmith. I'm going to try to get the game as soon as I can.

Anteo

Also there is a "bar" on the game where you can "chat" with some other explorers (basically a menu based display of information). Those chats give some explanation about some mechanics, like saying what is a bind or how to deal with certain enemies. It's pretty usefull, I generally go there after I open a new area to check how to deal with new things.

Edit: Like this (that's the Lady that manages quests at the bar)

ejWJWIB.jpg

scy

I'd totally use the bartender in my party if I could ;_; But, yeah, the bar gives a good amount of information.

they're tough early on. you can attract them with all gold foods or certain mid-tier foods. they get much easier in the late game when you can move two squares at once.

when you fight them, they have 1 HP and drop a book that lets you perma-increase one stat of one of your characters (up to 10 times / stat / char).

EDIT actually or maybe 10 times / char I'm not certain.

It's 10 / stat / character.

Velcro Fly

Kinda stuck on the Mist Monster quest. I swear I've mapped the entire B1F and have been everywhere on that floor during the hours of 7am to 9am and I've gotten nothing. I even killed the FOEs. At this point I'm just running around for a few hours and grinding, hoping to stumble upon a clue of some kind. I swear I feel like such a noob sometimes with this game. Guessing that the dead end is when

I feel like I'm also doing better with my builds. My Landsknecht has become the star of the show sometimes. I can use the dual slash burst skill and sonic raid and it does a ton of damage. If I vanguard before that, it does even more. Even just a sonic raid after vanguarding is almost 200 damage which is about what my Runemaster does. NS is doing well getting status on things and even is using a sword that sometimes binds the feet of enemies. Fortress and Medic are doing their thing. In my mid 20s in terms of levels but damn I want to knock out this quest before I move on to the next floor.

edit: nvm I mapped wrong. Need to start looking at the top screen as much as I rely on the bottom. should be able to complete the quest now!

Late game spoilers (4th Land)

Vs Logre, the 2nd time. First turn, hits my Fortress for 700.

W. T. F.

Edit:
Wtf is with this guy and his high damage output, my Fortress is down again from Full.

Edit2: Revenge
Landed blind on him and my NS was hitting 650, then landed Venom and it was 700 + 650 per turn.

Yeah he does huge damage but he's got to cool down after that too. On the bright side,
you get to unlock his class too.

TEJ

I was checking Gamestop's store locator a couple days ago and every store within 100 miles says low stock. Did Atlus undership the game? I was going to hunt down a copy yesterday, but I locked my keys in my vehicle and had to pay a $70 fee for a locksmith. I'm going to try to get the game as soon as I can.

atlus does low shipments for almost all of their games. if a game sells well enough or is in high enough demand they might reprint it.

scy

Do passive boosts between Main Class and Sub Class stack?

Yes. And they stack multiplicatively. There's one exception and that's due to a bug: Speed Boost does not stack with Fan Dance unless you have Sub Fan Dance with Main Speed Boost from being N/D. It's weird.

spiritfox

Yes. And they stack multiplicatively. There's one exception and that's due to a bug: Speed Boost does not stack with Fan Dance unless you have Sub Fan Dance with Main Speed Boost from being N/D. It's weird.

Is that with Dancer's Speed Boost too? (As a D/N)

scy

Is that with Dancer's Speed Boost too? (As a D/N)

The only way for Fan Dance and Speed Boost to stack is to be N/D with N's Speed Boost and D's Fan Dance. Those two won't stack otherwise. That means if you get Fan Dance and Speed Boost from Dancer (Main OR Sub), you'll end up disabling Fan Dance.

I did forget to mention this one though: If you have D/N or N/D and take Speed Boost in both, you'll only get the effect of whichever comes from your subclass. It's a weird bug with Speed Boost.

...on that note, Speed Boost also erroneously states you get Evasion. It's just +SPD, +HIT.

vall03

The only way for Fan Dance and Speed Boost to stack is to be N/D with N's Speed Boost and D's Fan Dance. Those two won't stack otherwise. That means if you get Fan Dance and Speed Boost from Dancer (Main OR Sub), you'll end up disabling Fan Dance.

I did forget to mention this one though: If you have D/N or N/D and take Speed Boost in both, you'll only get the effect of whichever comes from your subclass. It's a weird bug with Speed Boost.

...on that note, Speed Boost also erroneously states you get Evasion. It's just +SPD, +HIT.

aw, that kinda sucks. Oh well, Im gonna be hitting 70 soon anyway. So I'll just rest/retire to fix that.

I didn't think the Fan Dance/Speed Boost bug was yet confirmed to not have been fixed since the Japanese version.

I have another question though - does Arcanist's Ailment Boost affect status effects/binds on your weapons as well, or only skills?

Oh, also...do max level characters keep sucking up XP? Can I bring along a low level guy with four max level guys and get XP really quickly for him, or do I need to make my max level dudes guests via QR code in order for that to work?

scy

I didn't think the Fan Dance/Speed Boost bug was yet confirmed to not have been fixed since the Japanese version.

It's what I've been testing for the past few hours. I suppose it's not enough to be definitive yet.

I have another question though - does Arcanist's Ailment Boost affect status effects/binds on your weapons as well, or only skills?

Works on those as well.

Oh, also...do max level characters keep sucking up XP? Can I bring along a low level guy with four max level guys and get XP really quickly for him, or do I need to make my max level dudes guests via QR code in order for that to work?

They still take EXP.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I've managed to take down all the post game bosses except the last. At level 72 that thing still kicks my ass every which way.

But after ~10 attempts I finally took down
The Fallen One.
That was a quite interesting fight and I only managed it by making some gut blind calls on what he was going to do on key rounds.

Jarekx

I've gotten to the 4th area and decided to drop links on my land and remove my fortress from my party so I could add a sniper and keep my Nightseeker.

It's been alright so far but now my dancer feels pretty useless besides providing a bit of support healing and a couple buffs...might have to replace her soon. Hopefully I won't need to bring the fort back.

scy

I've gotten to the 4th area and decided to drop links on my land and remove my fortress from my party so I could add a sniper and keep my Nightseeker.

It's been alright so far but now my dancer feels pretty useless besides providing a bit of support healing and a couple buffs...might have to replace her soon. Hopefully I won't need to bring the fort back.

Any particular reason for dropping the Links from the Landsknecht? It's what the Dancer combos with best.

Could always have the Dancer do Chase Samba + Rush Dance to have her do more damage once she sets up Regen Waltz + Attack Tango.

Velcro Fly

Wow with the snowstorm I must have played this game for 5 hours today. I checked my activity log and it says that I'm nearly at 20 hours total for the game. Enjoying it a lot so far. Maybe even more than Fire Emblem. I don't want to hurry through the game but I'm enjoying everything so much it's hard not to play when I can't leave the house.

Jarekx

Any particular reason for dropping the Links from the Landsknecht? It's what the Dancer combos with best.

Could always have the Dancer do Chase Samba + Rush Dance to have her do more damage once she sets up Regen Waltz + Attack Tango.

Not particularly. Just trying some of the later skills to see if I like them or not, as well as trying out Bushi as a subclass.

And on the dancer, I'll try that to see if it helps. I do really love having those buffs so it would be really hard for me to lose her.

from what I've played since I finished.... shit is ridiculous.

hmm I haven't done retiring. Maybe I should do that just for the heck of it.

retiring at 70 will give you quite a boost if it's the same as 3, I did that and when I got to 70 again I was killing everything(I also changed my team back then)

You say your Boshi was your MVP? I was ignoring that class... gotta check them out now :3

Yeah, I would side with scy on this one. Recently I rested my team (around level 62 now) and redid all their skills and I'm tearing through everything with the chase setup.

My team:

Fortress / Land - opens combat by power breaking/mind breaking the main enemy, then buffing the team's phys/elemental defense. Also has Swordbreaker from Land. Uses maxed bolt attack when I have nothing better to do, or to trigger a Dancer chase.

Land / Runemaster - opens combat with Vanguard followed by the link boost followed by three turns of elemental link skills. That is his sole purpose in life and he does it very well. Has TP and element boosting Runemaster abilities.

Dancer / Nightseeker - opens combat with Attack Tango followed by Chase Samba, then does normal attacks alongside the Land's links. Maxed Fan Dance, multi-hit and stun hit skills. Has Nightseeker solely for dual attacks, though I'm working up to the cloak-at-start-of-battle ability.

Sniper / Arcanist - binds. Everything related to binding maxed, all his main damage tree completely ignored. Arcanist is for the skill that boosts bind rate, TP regen and some of their nifty abilities like avoiding status effects for the line.

Medic / Arcanist - heals. Lays down a poison circle when not healing. Not a super effective character in most battles but I need someone who can do what she does. Auto-heals and auto-revives maxed, and has some of the nifty Arcanist abilities too like removing built up status resistance.

This team just works super well.

OceanBlue

I have a similar team, but I'm confused on something. Don't the runemaster element boosting skills require you to activate them first? Using another turn in addition to Vanguard and Improve Linking seems like too much for me.

spiritfox

Trick Samba plus Swords Dance plus Links = A lot of hits in a turn.

I have a similar team, but I'm confused on something. Don't the runemaster element boosting skills require you to activate them first? Using another turn in addition to Vanguard and Improve Linking seems like too much for me.

That's why I have a Runemaster to use those skills. But Rune sub for Landshark is mainly for Runic Guidance, which is a passive.

OceanBlue

Trick Samba plus Swords Dance plus Links = A lot of hits in a turn.

That's why I have a Runemaster to use those skills. But Rune sub for Landshark is mainly for Runic Guidance, which is a passive.
I forgot about that passive. I guess I'm changing my Landstar's sub later. I need the extra TP.

ohlawd

retiring at 70 will give you quite a boost if it's the same as 3, I did that and when I got to 70 again I was killing everything(I also changed my team back then)

You say your Boshi was your MVP? I was ignoring that class

my Bushi wrecked anything that had an ice/fire weakness. Use whichever one the enemy is weak to and add in a Charge and Blood Surge.... awesome results. Gave it every dual related passive the NS has. Blood Surge Shockwave cleaned house most of the time and with its class specific TP restoring skill I never worried about not being able to use it or its element attacks. Restores around 20 TP and half her HP with her double normal attack.

only bad side though is when Shockwave activates twice when she's at low health and I've already triggered its auto skill revive then she ends up killing herself.

scy

Final boss done with a level ~61 party (that has been retired down from 70). Final party of:

Imperial/Nightseeker
Dancer/Nightseeker
Landsknecht/Runemaster

Arcanist/Runemaster
Sniper/Bushi

Whenever I do a repeat playthrough, I'm going to go out of my way to NOT use a chaser party. I've probably done enough chaser parties what with all my WM playthroughs of EO3 (JP/US) and then this one. Probably do either something gimmicky or a challenge run ... or both!

I'd like to say my Sniper wasn't doing that much but, at the same time, she landed Binds every turn they were needed so eh, who knows. Probably would've been better as Sniper/Arcanist but I really wanted to give the Bushi skillset a try. Truthfully, she'll probably be repurposed into a Runemaster when I get to doing the post-game content proper.

...and now that I look at my party, they all had ~10 points to spend ;_; Oops.

Not particularly. Just trying some of the later skills to see if I like them or not, as well as trying out Bushi as a subclass.

Was just curious if there was something about the setup that wasn't working for you or anything :x

vall03

Currently in the 5th dungeon and Im suddenly not feeling my new party.

Dancer/Nightseeker
Imperial/Bushi
Landsknecht/Runemaster
Runemaster/Bushi
Arcanist/Nightseeker

I dont know why though. They're killing things fast but the Imperial and Runemaster are TP hogs. Even with Deep Breath, getting back TP feels slow. More importantly, This party is too squishy and can get killed fast too. Maybe I should just put back my Fortress...

spiritfox

Do the quest bosses like
Baboon King
respawn? I just saw that they have conditional drops but I killed them already.

Currently in the 5th dungeon and Im suddenly not feeling my new party.

Dancer/Nightseeker
Imperial/Bushi
Landsknecht/Runemaster
Runemaster/Bushi
Arcanist/Nightseeker

I dont know why though. They're killing things fast but the Imperial and Runemaster are TP hogs. Even with Deep Breath, getting back TP feels slow. More importantly, This party is too squishy and can get killed fast too. Maybe I should just put back my Fortress...

Fortresses are cool. They block stuff and with Runic Shield, Swordbreaker, and Guard Mastery, they can block a lot of damage. And how can you have a Fortress avatar and not use her? =(

vall03

Do the quest bosses like
Baboon King
respawn? I just saw that they have conditional drops but I killed them already.

Fortresses are cool. They block stuff and with Runic Shield, Swordbreaker, and Guard Mastery, they can block a lot of damage. And how can you have a Fortress avatar and not use her? =(

Yup, quest bosses respawn. I just beat a different quest boss right now.

As much as I love the Fortress design, during the 4th area boss battle, shes barely done anything at all. Sure theres Party Shield and sub-classes, but it feels like it wasn't enough and I really want a more offensive party. But who knows, I might put her back and use a different sub-class since I really want her in my party.

spiritfox

Yup, quest bosses respawn. I just beat a different quest boss right now.

As much as I love the Fortress design, during the 4th area boss battle, shes barely done anything at all. Sure theres Party Shield and sub-classes, but it feels like it wasn't enough and I really want a more offensive party. But who knows, I might put her back and use a different sub-class since I really want her in my party.

The problem with a full on offense party is its squishiness. I wouldn't find giving up a slot if it means that I can come out of a battle without losing half my party, and the Fortress does that very well. And it's not like she has no offensive capability. Her bashes are pretty good and Vengeance Bash works very well with Party Shield.

vall03

The problem with a full on offense party is its squishiness. I wouldn't find giving up a slot if it means that I can come out of a battle without losing half my party, and the Fortress does that very well. And it's not like she has no offensive capability. Her bashes are pretty good and Vengeance Bash works very well with Party Shield.

But my problem is shes at the back, she has no spot on the front at all so her offensive capabilities are very low. I ended up bringing her back though since my party build needs a lot of set-up and I need to survive that set-up phase. But when I think about it, My first team since the beginning already have the capabilities to finish the game. Oh well, still too early to think about post game builds and I need to retire them anyway.

Edit: Also tested something. It seems Landsknecht Link damage is affected by row position. Tried to put her at the back and my Link damage can barely reach 200+. Or was it because of the weapon?

spiritfox

But my problem is shes at the back, she has no spot on the front at all so her offensive capabilities are very low. I ended up bringing her back though since my party build needs a lot of set-up and I need to survive that set-up phase. But when I think about it, My first team since the beginning already have the capabilities to finish the game. Oh well, still too early to think about post game builds and I need to retire them anyway.

Edit: Also tested something. It seems Landsknecht Link damage is affected by row position. Tried to put her at the back and my Link damage can barely reach 200+. Or was it because of the weapon?

Hmm... If you sub her with Dancer, you should be able to use a bow. Not the best, but better than nothing. And Dancer's a good sub for her anyway.

The links are listed as melee, so I guess that's why.

vall03

Hmm... If you sub her with Dancer, you should be able to use a bow. Not the best, but better than nothing. And Dancer's a good sub for her anyway.

The links are listed as melee, so I guess that's why.

Well, she already has Dancer as a sub-class so I got that part covered. I actually took a break on the 5th area to do some QR quests and find more treasures so Im barely fighting anything at all.

I forgot about that passive. I guess I'm changing my Landstar's sub later. I need the extra TP.

Yeah that passive is what I meant.

Runemaster sub in general has some surprisingly good stuff for a Land. The elemental equivalent of Swordbreaker, two elemental power boosting passives, increase max TP, occasionally reduce TP costs to zero...I've also got one in each of the three runes for the sake of tough elemental fights since I don't have a dedicated Runemaster.

Top Bottom