• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

they're tough early on. you can attract them with all gold foods or certain mid-tier foods. they get much easier in the late game when you can move two squares at once.

EDIT actually or maybe 10 times / char I'm not certain.

There's a ship equip that let's you move 2 squares at once? I never got that... Could I have missed it? Unless it's in the 6th maze

You get it at the 4th Maze as part of the story. Check your equips again?

Definitely don't have it. I played through on casual in case you don't get it because of that. There is a boss fight I missed around that point. I have a missing entry in my monstrous codex
after boiling lizard and before Logre.

Anteo

You get it at the 4th Maze as part of the story. Check your equips again?

Wait what? Why would you even use that? Or who gives me that? Because I don't have it either, I'm in B3F of the 4th Maze btw, or is after finishing the maze (in which case nevermind)

scy

You're given it by
Wiglaf when they're aiding you on the break-in for the Echoing Library; it's called the Twin Propeller
. I believe the requirement for it is to have all the other Skyship equipment items.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
You're given it by
Wiglaf when they're aiding you on the break-in for the Echoing Library; it's called the Twin Propeller
. I believe the requirement for it is to have all the other Skyship equipment items.
hmm... I do have it and can't remember when I got it but it wasn't until after this for sure. I had to do the spoilerd part with single movement. But I was given it before beating the story boss because I remember trying to use it to get past the windy areas.

spiritfox

Yup it's after you enter the maze. It's a wrench part so if you have the Dowsing Rods or the E. Pole equipped, you can't equip that.

edit: Actually I'm not sure if it's before or after that part.

scy

Just mentioning when I was given it. It's not story related (well, it triggers there, I believe), it's more a reward for having all the Skyship parts.

Anteo

I can only as her to be a decoy. Hmmm.. I thought I had everything, maybe I missed a part in the earlier lands.

Makonero

Alright, I'm at the boss in the second dungeon. How the heck do you get to a point where you don't miss all the time? Am I missing something?

Anteo

Alright, I'm at the boss in the second dungeon. How the heck do you get to a point where you don't miss all the time? Am I missing something?

Bind her legs, that makes any monster unable to evade. (Wufan has many binds)

Edit: They explorers at the bar tell you this btw. They also tell you that burst attacks never miss.

JoeFu

Banned
I got this on the eShop last night because I wanted something to play. Haven't played an Etrian Odyssey since the first game, but didn't really get that far.

Really enjoying it! The music is awesome.

scy

I can only as her to be a decoy. Hmmm.. I thought I had everything, maybe I missed a part in the earlier lands.

I want to say it was given in the city so I think it was more that there was a city event with her that forced it to occur right then as opposed to that's when it happens. I just know I had it for that period.

As for the parts:
4x +Rare Food, 4x +Food Count, the Dowsing Rod, the Tornado Movement, the Geo Pole one, Food Catapult +1, Food Catapult +2. I think that's all of the ones before the post-game

spiritfox

Man I love the guest mechanics in this game. Gives you a way to test the class out before you get them, and helps to expand on the story just a little.

BTW
Imperials
seem to be the most complicated class in EO history. Lots of combos and stuff.

Anteo

I want to say it was given in the city so I think it was more that there was a city event with her that forced it to occur right then as opposed to that's when it happens. I just know I had it for that period.

As for the parts:
4x +Rare Food, 4x +Food Count, the Dowsing Rod, the Tornado Movement, the Geo Pole one, Food Catapult +1, Food Catapult +2. I think that's all of the ones before the post-game

Yeah I only got all the rare food things, not the count.

scy

BTW
Imperials
seem to be the most complicated class in EO history. Lots of combos and stuff.

Imperial
is the class design I wanted since EO1. A class with their own skill chains to "force" actually using all their skills not just their best one all the time and with a cooldown period instead of a frontloaded setup time.

The fact that they're absurdly powerful helps too. Mine did somewhere around 10,000 in a single turn with minimal setup (Hawkeye + Attack Tango + Fire Rune, basically one turn of prep) on the final boss. I only imagine what it'd have been like if it was an N/I instead. Probably a 20,000 damage turn ;_;

Yeah what the heck is food count?

Haha, sorry, was in a rush :x Yeah, as spiritfox said, it's the ship parts that give you an extra Ingredient every time you gather their respective nodes. I think it's just an extra gather chance, basically, since I've gotten both regular and rare Ingredients from it. Not sure, really.

I'm at the fourth land and I've done every single quest available.

Have you been giving the other two explorers the Food they request? That gives you more ship parts.

Edit: Or saving them. Basically, doing anything for them.

I just finished the second land at around level 25. So far I have been doing pretty well. My party setup has been Land/Fortress/Dancer up front and Nightseeker/Runemaster in the back, and I think Wufan has sold me on the Arcanist Class.

Any suggestions of who I should replace in my line up? I was thinking of replacing my Nightseeker and then just subbing nightseeker onto my arcanist whenever that becomes a thing I can do.

scy

Well, if you're going to leave the Nightseeker in the back row, I'd say to go ahead and replace them. They don't really accomplish much back there due to the damage penalty. I ran the same party except with LND/FR as the arrangement and I ended up replacing my Runemaster for an Arcanist/Runemaster.

Anteo

Hahahaha oh wow

4th land boss spoiler:

Destroyed the body and was worried about the head, but my Nightseeker landed Assasination on the first try. I was worried about a selfdestruct mechanic.

Alright then, time to start leveling an Arcanist. Is there any downside to that guy who trains two characters to level 25 or is he just a "Get out of grinding free" card?

Anteo

Alright then, time to start leveling an Arcanist. Is there any downside to that guy who trains two characters to level 25 or is he just a "Get out of grinding free" card?

No downside. But you only have 2 uses.

Edit: 5th maze enemies:
Moles and Venomflies, in the maze close to the Yggdrasil. Where have I seen this before? ;)

Totakeke

4th boss down, was much more tricky for me because my party barely had any elemental damage. Took it down on the 2nd try when I realized I had to go all out in the beginning of the fight. I was also clueless on how to use the imperial on the 1st so that didn't help things. :p

I guess it doesn't help that I basically cheesed out the 4th labyrinth with stun/poison/paralyze. I could do the whole labyrinth in 2-3 runs if I didn't had my inventory full from the drops. The labyrinth was probably the easiest so far but the poison immune and physical resistant mobs sure made things go slower and I didn't care to get elemental damage into my party.

Moles and Venomflies, in the maze close to the Yggdrasil. Where have I seen this before? ;)

Yup, it was like seeing old friends. But I was kinda disappointed that the maze design is similar to the 4th.

Imperial
is the class design I wanted since EO1. A class with their own skill chains to "force" actually using all their skills not just their best one all the time and with a cooldown period instead of a frontloaded setup time.

All the skills in the chain are very TP heavy though.

Man I love the guest mechanics in this game. Gives you a way to test the class out before you get them, and helps to expand on the story just a little.

I don't know if it's the tree layout of the skills, or they improved skill progression, but every time I got a new class to play with in IV I was much more excited than by class unlocks in the previous 3 games. Somehow the classes in IV seem to have more self-sufficient combos, and the synergies between the skills is easier to appreciate.

Imperial

The fact that they're absurdly powerful helps too. Mine did somewhere around 10,000 in a single turn with minimal setup (Hawkeye + Attack Tango + Fire Rune, basically one turn of prep) on the final boss. I only imagine what it'd have been like if it was an N/I instead. Probably a 20,000 damage turn ;_;

The first time I used one was amazing.
Boom 1000 damage against a random mook o_0. And like I said above, checking out their skill tree was cool too. Finding out you can fire off a huge damage attack (that has a chance of splashing!), and then having a 6-turn cooldown, but instead of being made completely useless for those 6 turns, it encourages you to play around with a bunch of other cool moves?
That's like everything the Yggdroid wanted to be!

scy

I'll admit,
it made me laugh pretty hard when I first saw them

All the skills in the chain are very TP heavy though.

Impulse Edge restores 35 TP (25, I guess; 8 for Sharp, 2 for Impulse itself). They have a lot of TP Restoration across various passives as well. Them and Bushi definitely show some different interactions with TP than most other classes which is a nice change of pace.

I don't know if it's the tree layout of the skills, or they improved skill progression, but every time I got a new class to play with in IV I was much more excited than by class unlocks in the previous 3 games. Somehow the classes in IV seem to have more self-sufficient combos, and the synergies between the skills is easier to appreciate.

Yeah, they definitely put a lot more thought into crafting the trees to both A) Work together within the design of the class (e.g., Spread Throw + Status Mastery on a Nightseeker in conjunction with their Class Passive) and B) To give benefits as subclasses while still making certain aspects better for a Main class (e.g., sub-Bushi can self-heal enough but doesn't have the passive TP Restoration). Combined with the level locked trees and better skill design, things are a lot better this time around.

So are melee volt cut attacks (for example), any attack like links and drives - do they count as both Physical and Elemental damage? I am surprised that Eagle Eye (physical damage debuff) seems to affect the Drives. So you can use either Hawk Eye or Eagle Eye to debuff enemies for Drives. (Perhaps you can use both, I'll have to try that)

In other news, having difficulty with inventory management again.

scy

Drives are dual-type damage so it works with both debuffs.

I'm not actually sure if Links are dual-type, though.

Ferrio

Banned
So I picked this up and it's my first EO game. I played through the first dungeon, and it was oddly entertaining to draw your own map. I was all OCD about making sure I had the walls right, and placing icons. Though where's the icon for treasure chests... I can't make out what some of the icons are suppose to indicate.

I'm was running a Fortress,Nightseeker,Dancer / Medic,Runemaster.

No idea if that works or not.. but don't care either way. I'll find out myself!

Anteo

So I picked this up and it's my first EO game. I played through the first dungeon, and it was oddly entertaining to draw your own map. I was all OCD about making sure I had the walls right, and placing icons. Though where's the icon for treasure chests... I can't make out what some of the icons are suppose to indicate.

Some small things.

The icons are what you want them to be, just be consistent.
For Mine/Take/Chop spots people most people use the same icons:
The pickaxe, The hand, The scissors.

Allways go to the bar and check the "Gather information" option. It's pretty usefull, you get hints about how to deal with monsters, navigation, etc. Great for new explorers, or if you hit a wall with certain encounter.

And Great party btw, I got Land,Nightseeker, Fortress / Medic,Runemaster.

scy

The green clover thing has historically been the treasure chest icon. To be fair, you can really use whatever you want though. There's an excess amount of icons, I find. Consistency is all that matters in the end.

I remember when Gathering nodes were just sparkly icons (that eventually became sparkly colored icons!) instead of each type having a distinct icon. Good times!

The party is fine. I'd suggest the Dancer to be a bit more offensive focused since you have a Medic but, really, it'll work out fine.

Effect

Exactly how bad is the grind in the game? Is it more of a case of just just walking around an area for random battles to level up? Or going through entire dungeons again for something specific over and over again?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Is this game difficult to buy right now in US? I'm asking because of this.

Recent Releases
Fire emblem Awakening
Pokemon Dream Radar
Crashmo
Gunman Clive
Super Mario Bros
Zelda: Link's Awakening DX
Pokedex 3D Pro
Mega Man 2
Super Mario Bros: The Lost Levels
Etrian Odyssey IV
3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure
The Legend of Zelda
Super Mario Land 2
Cut the Rope
Photo Dojo
Plants vs Zombies
Colors! 3D
Metal Torrent
Picdun 2: Witch's Curse
Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again!

The Recent releases eShop chart shows EOIV at 10th. Not only it's the first time a third party retail title enters the Current Releases chart, but it's pretty high (and it was 16th on Monday). It seems strange to me that such a good digital debut happens to a niche title like this. Thanks to whoever's going to answer to my question and let's hope it reaches Europe soon. :D

Anteo

Exactly how bad is the grind in the game? Is it more of a case of just just walking around an area for random battles to level up? Or going through entire dungeons again for something specific over and over again?

None of it unless you are underleveled (Which can happen if you abuse the reset all skillpoints mechanic as you pay 2 levels to do it)

You get most of the exp you need by exploring the dugeon and doing quest. Generally when you hit a roadblock is because:

1. You need to aproach the fight in a different way.
2. You need new equips.
3. You need that one skill that you neglected (even then gaffers here have gone through fights with no elemental attacks to enemies that only have elemental weaknesess)
4. You need level a bit.

In my case, before going into a boss fight I like to go through the maze slaying FOE that I was afraid of running into. That gives me new drops for items and some extra exp to go. As always, the game teaches you again and again that there are bosses that you can't fight the very moment you run into them. You learn this as early as the tutorial dugeon.

scy

Ya I planned on making her offensive, she's in the front line.

Well, they can use Bows from the back too :x

For just the main game, you'll be fine just going through the dungeons at your own pace. At worst, maybe going out of your way to use the Holy Gift Burst Skill (+50% EXP for the fight) or finding Food on the Overworld to eat for +EXP bonuses. If you're not running from battles and keeping up with the Quests from the bar, you'll be more than fine (if not probably slightly overleveled eventually).

For post-game / grinding due to retiring, there are ways to speed up the process. You can force FoEs to turn Rare which has them yield 500% EXP and just abuse that for grinding. It's a lot faster than just running around in circles in a dungeon trying to grind for EXP.

Is this game difficult to buy right now in US? I'm asking because of this.

The Recent releases eShop chart shows EOIV at 10th. Not only it's the first time a third party retail title enters the Current Releases chart, but it's pretty high (and it was 16th on Monday). It seems strange to me that such a good digital debut happens to a niche title like this. Thanks to whoever's going to answer to my question and let's hope it reaches Europe soon. :D

Well, it may be due to Physical Copies being without a manual so some of that incentive for a physical one is lost, I guess? There was a pre-order bonus, though, so ... not sure what to say. Don't think there was a supply issue for the game.

Either way, glad to hear it's seeing good sales. The series really deserves it.

lingiii

Banned
Okay, I must be the worst EO player in history...you can eat the food you find with the airship for EX?

in airship with food: hit B for ship menu, then D-pad right. opens list of foods you're carrying. they all have different effects if you eat them. Some foods have straight EXP /\, some have Rare Monsters /\ which is kind of effectively the same.

Anteo

Okay, I must be the worst EO player in history...you can eat the food you find with the airship for EX?

Press B -> Select Food -> Select Cook.

The effect is lost as soon as you get to the city again.
Different food gives different effects, from resistance to elements to extra stats/max hp/tp. And some food gives +exp or +rare monster encounters.

Sleepy

Mind blown. Or maybe the manual needs to better explain things?

The best part is that food around maze generally give effects to deal with the bosses/subbosses (the effect is carried if you enter a dugeon). I know I abused the +fire resistance and +instadeath resitance :lol

Soooo much to learn. And I thought I was getting the hang of things...

Anteo

Mind blown.

The best part is that food around maze generally give effects to deal with the bosses/subbosses (the effect is carried if you enter a dugeon). I know I abused the +fire resistance and +instadeath resitance :lol

Soooo much to learn. And I thought I was getting the hang of things...

Help Me!
(Today, 01:52 PM)

Pretty sure that gets explained early in the game. I remember a soldier saying that I should consider not using the Poles just for this, to fly around, get food, cook it and go to the dugeon. I think it was when they introduced Geomagnetic Poles.

Edit: Hey, it is in the manual, in the Sky section! (I had not read the manual until now)

scy

Mind blown. Or maybe the manual needs to better explain things?

It's a completely new feature to EO4 and they point it out pretty heavily, I thought. There's an entire Tutorial just for the food uses (Cooking for use or dropping as bait) and NPCs talk about it too.

Sleepy

Yeah, I think I remember that. :headslap

I have now put 11 hr. 55 min. in the demo. And now I am going back to play around with the food.

I should have the retail game tomorrow...c'mon Amazon!

Effect

None of it unless you are underleveled (Which can happen if you abuse the reset all skillpoints mechanic as you pay 2 levels to do it)

You get most of the exp you need by exploring the dugeon and doing quest. Generally when you hit a roadblock is because:

1. You need to aproach the fight in a different way.
2. You need new equips.
3. You need that one skill that you neglected (even then gaffers here have gone through fights with no elemental attacks to enemies that only have elemental weaknesess)
4. You need level a bit.

In my case, before going into a boss fight I like to go through the maze slaying FOE that I was afraid of running into. That gives me new drops for items and some extra exp to go. As always, the game teaches you again and again that there are bosses that you can't fight the very moment you run into them. You learn this as early as the tutorial dugeon.

Gotcha. Thanks

I totally haven't taken good advantage of the food. It's so easy to pick some up and get a quick +6 strength for everyone or whatever.

Although it's easy to forget about because you can warp directly from town into labyrinths, skipping the ability to gather and eat food altogether.

Top Bottom