• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

scy

I'm on the second land and need to get to the higher ground, so I keep explore the cave that I found with the mist or do I have to do something else?

Keep exploring the Miasma Forest. There's a Mining Node you need to reach to get the item you'll need.

But it says specifically that Pierce/Splash damage weapons won't... is that a text error?

Pierce and Splash are effects: Pierce deals damage to a column, Splash deals damage to adjacent targets. Swords Dance does not work with those two effects on weapons.

My only question is how do I build them? Focus on binds or status effects? Or put a few points in all of them? I feel it is better to max them out since % base and all.

How much should I put in Tame Ground and Bracing Walk?

I had two points in Bracing Walk and it was fine for most the game; basically, just put however many points you feel like you need as you go through the game. Tame Ground is essentially pre-req only fodder.

As for Binds/Status Effects, general suggestion is to max Poison and the Binds and just have base points in the rest. Honestly, an Arcanist alone isn't really enough to keep both Status Effects AND Binds up on a given FoE/Boss fight so binds are generally better there.

tuffy

My only question is how do I build them? Focus on binds or status effects? Or put a few points in all of them? I feel it is better to max them out since % base and all.
I maxed out poison as my only circle. The rest went into skills for healing while circles are active, Dismiss Heal and a couple of points into Dismiss Blow. Adding Dismiss Blast and Circle Mastery later trivializes a lot of random encounters since if the poison doesn't hit (for 300 HP a round when maxed), the blast is enough finish off most wandering enemies.

But in boss fights, the passive healing from just having the circle up is often good enough until I need to dismiss it to fully heal everyone. Any poison status is just bonus damage in that case while my Arcanist works in a support role.
How much should I put in Tame Ground and Bracing Walk?
I only put 2 points into Tame Ground, but all the points into Bracing Walk. That's typically enough to refill everyone's HP between encounters.

Pierce and Splash are effects: Pierce deals damage to a column, Splash deals damage to adjacent targets. Swords Dance does not work with those two effects on weapons.

I had two points in Bracing Walk and it was fine for most the game; basically, just put however many points you feel like you need as you go through the game. Tame Ground is essentially pre-req only fodder.

As for Binds/Status Effects, general suggestion is to max Poison and the Binds and just have base points in the rest. Honestly, an Arcanist alone isn't really enough to keep both Status Effects AND Binds up on a given FoE/Boss fight so binds are generally better there.

Why Max Poison instead of say... Paralysis?

And good to know I can use things besides a Dagger on my Dancer.

I maxed out poison as my only circle. The rest went into skills for healing while circles are active, Dismiss Heal and a couple of points into Dismiss Blow. Adding Dismiss Blast and Circle Mastery later trivializes a lot of random encounters since if the poison doesn't hit (for 300 HP a round when maxed), the blast is enough finish off most wandering enemies.

But in boss fights, the passive healing from just having the circle up is often good enough until I need to dismiss it to fully heal everyone. Any poison status is just bonus damage in that case while my Arcanist works in a support role.

I only put 2 points into Tame Ground, but all the points into Bracing Walk. That's typically enough to refill everyone's HP between encounters.

Interesting... so basically binds are a no-go at sufficiently high levels when you can just blast all the random encounter enemies away. I'll go for that once I am a high enough level I think. But until then I'll be putting points into the bind stuff since they have saved my ass.

scy

Why Max Poison instead of say... Paralysis?

It's mainly for ending random encounters super fast. Even at the end of the game you'll find ~300 Damage per turn for 16 TP to be rather useful. You can Dismiss Blast after it lands if needed, though you can generally just Defend a turn or two and let Poison finish the fight for you.

Interesting... so basically binds are a no-go at sufficiently high levels when you can just blast all the random encounter enemies away. I'll go for that once I am a high enough level I think. But until then I'll be putting points into the bind stuff since they have saved my ass.

Binds are better for FoE/Bosses than random encounters with a few exceptions. I went the full on utility route with my Arcanist/Runemaster so she was there to Poison random encounters and Binds for bosses. I also ran a Nightseeker/Arcanist for most of the game so he was there to land Status Effects on FoE/Bosses since it was more reliable single-target way.

It's mainly for ending random encounters super fast. Even at the end of the game you'll find ~300 Damage per turn for 16 TP to be rather useful. You can Dismiss Blast after it lands if needed, though you can generally just Defend a turn or two and let Poison finish the fight for you.

Binds are better for FoE/Bosses than random encounters with a few exceptions. I went the full on utility route with my Arcanist/Runemaster so she was there to Poison random encounters and Binds for bosses. I also ran a Nightseeker/Arcanist for most of the game so he was there to land Status Effects on FoE/Bosses since it was more reliable single-target way.

Hmm... Interesting.

I'll probably go the bind + max poison route. And maybe put a few points into dismiss blast for some degree of encounter ending goodness. Assuming I have enough spare points.

I'm finding binds really good for the Misty Ravine though, because Fire Bulbs can't explode with heads bound. Petals can't do crap either. And if I bind arms, I don't think the hollows can do their devastating attacks. And binding their legs also makes the damn things hittable.

tuffy

I've got a dedicated Sniper for shutting down special moves, but I'd certainly consider binding circles if I didn't. The problem with the Arcanist is that there's too many good skills without enough points to go around. I've even been neglecting must-have skills like the passive ailment/bind resist because everything else is so useful.

ohlawd

Medic is most likely TEC to increase their Healing. Honestly though, I'd just put a Status Effect on their Weapon or something.

Runemaster is ELM once their TEC is sufficiently high (~mid 60s?) enough.

Fortress is HP until they're capped and then probably a Status Effect (or VIT if uncapped, I guess). Alternatively, ATK so they deal a bit more damage whenever/if they attack.

Nightseeker would be ATK unless you rely on Ice Knife, in which case you'd want ATK and ELM in equal numbers.

To maximize the damage of their Elemental Drives, you actually want # of ATK Forges == # of ELM Forges for Imperials, by the way. Basically:

8 Forge Slots:
8x ATK Forges = 124% Damage
8x ELM Forges = 124% Damage
4x ATK Forges, 4x ELM Forges = (112%) * (112%) = ~125.44% Damage

ooh thanks a lot.

well I've done it. I've beat all the bosses. Got a nice medal thing to go with it too :D
All that's left is to finish my item and monster encylopedias, find a couple chests (I thought I had this done already... guess not) and find more treasures.

I've got a dedicated Sniper for shutting down special moves, but I'd certainly consider binding circles if I didn't. The problem with the Arcanist is that there's too many good skills without enough points to go around. I've even been neglecting must-have skills like the passive ailment/bind resist because everything else is so useful.

Yeah I don't think I want to touch a Sniper. heh.

I haven't actually figured out what my final team is, but right now it is:

L/F/D + N/R

With an Arcanist definitely ready to replace my Nightseeker.

I guess I'll just do the 2 in healing walk, max poison, max binds, dismiss heal, a few in the other statuses, a few in resist moves, and if I somehow have spare points a few in dismiss blast.

Hmm... Maybe I could go L/F/D + A/A

One arcanist focused on binds/status, the other focused on blasty dismissing?

Anteo

I mean, you could use whatever you want. I use pickaxe for mining. Clover for herbs. And scissors for wood.

I haven't found a use for the hand symbol. I think I might use it to mark shmuck bait spots.

Take spots. You take a flower with your hand I guess.

Whats the proper icon to put on the map for a mining spot?

Whatever works.

Ok fuck the moth pit. It is basically a luck based mission when you get a random battle you can't finish in time.

edit: LIKE TWO FUCKING PETALOIDS AND FUCKING FUCKER FIRE BULB IN THE MOTHER FUCKING BACK ROW.

God damnit every FUCKING TIME.

Make your own luck. Bait a battle outside the room, win, then rush in with a blue gauge and donkeypunch one of the moths from behind. Eliminate with extreme prejudice. Repeat as necessary.

Anteo

Make your own luck. Bait a battle outside the room, win, then rush in with a blue gauge and donkeypunch one of the moths from behind. Eliminate with extreme prejudice. Repeat as necessary.

That's basically abusing the random battle system. But the games gives you the color coded orb at the bottom left corner of the main screen, so it's actually asking you to do it. That's pretty usefull for narrow paths were you have to walk and there are FOEs walking there too.

balddemon

Banned
golden lair and the 3rd land have killed my desire to play this game. it could also have to do with me literally playing it all day yesterday, but I haven't touched the game today. I just can't deal with those stupid fire things and the limited number of ice stakes. probably just wait for a map to come out on gamefaqs lollol.

Anteo

That's the opposite of abusing the battle system. They give you that orb for that exact reason.

Maybe abusing is too much, but that's what I said the game gives you the orb for you to take advantage of.

golden lair and the 3rd land have killed my desire to play this game. it could also have to do with me literally playing it all day yesterday, but I haven't touched the game today. I just can't deal with those stupid fire things and the limited number of ice stakes. probably just wait for a map to come out on gamefaqs lollol.

What exactly is your problem with the stakes? I didn't feel limited by them, if anything I always ended up wasting stakes because I had to go out of the dugeon to heal. What part of the 3rd maze are you on?

balddemon

Banned
Maybe abusing is too much, but that's what I said the game gives you the orb for you to take advantage of.

What exactly is your problem with the stakes? What part of the 3rd maze are you on?

I'm still on b1f. it's not really the stakes. I don't know what it is, but I just don't like golden lair. I need to finish it so I can move on. probably will tonight.

it could also be my leg acting up (hurts extra today) and I'm really fucking tired for some reason.

Anteo

I'm still on b1f. it's not really the stakes. I don't know what it is, but I just don't like golden lair. I need to finish it so I can move on. probably will tonight.

Yeah you just played too much EO :lol
I know I did that one weekend, but I was in land 2 B3F and I didn't want to play the game for a couple of days.

I won't say it killed my motivation to play, but it's not as fun (imo) as the other two labrynths... Until you get to the second floor and meet the... Well. You'll see what happens. Things pick up from there. :)

I'm still trying to decide how to tackle subclassing. >_<

ohlawd

guess we all feel or felt the same.

I felt like dropping the game at Golden Lair too. Seemed like a huge drop off in quality compared to Lush Woodlands and Misty Ravine.

Anteo

guess we all feel or felt the same.

I felt like dropping the game at Golden Lair too. Seemed like a huge drop off in quality compared to Lush Woodlands and Misty Ravine.

It's just a tedious maze. The gimmick here is not as fun as the in the 2 previous mazes and only gets fun when you destroy the things, and I didn't feel like the music invites you to explore, it felt more like a sad song or something like that.

Gah, lost to the Misty Ravine boss.

Also I am lost on how to defeat the illusionist for that one quest. I've spotted the dude, but can't find how to sneak behind him. The spot right behind him teleports you.

Anteo

Also I am lost on how to defeat the illusionist for that one quest. I've spotted the dude, but can't find how to sneak behind him. The spot right behind him teleports you.

I remember the game says something like this "It sends you back if you look directly at him".
Do you know about that legend of certain monster called Medusa?

ohlawd

Walk backwards or sideways towards her.

This way, you won't be directly facing her.

Edit: Turns out I used the wrong sort of bind against the boss. Went for arm binds, instead of head binds.

Considering I had her at a sliver of health, this time it should be piss easy.

I blame DND for all my follies. Spells should be stopped by arm bind (somatic components) and facing rules dont exist in that game.

ohlawd

Edit: Turns out I used the wrong sort of bind against the boss. Went for arm binds, instead of head binds.

I blame DND for all my follies. Spells should be stopped by arm bind (somatic components) and facing rules dont exist in that game.

For hollows, leg binds are what you want so your attacks don't miss anymore.

Hahaha I was trying to prevent this:

Next time someone asks that question, I'll let you handle it ;o

For hollows, leg binds are what you want so your attacks don't miss anymore.

Shockingly, I rarely missed during the fight. And I'm almost positive I was not using leg binds. I was using arm binds thinking it would spells.

I think it might have to do with Vanguard + Initiative + Proficiency making opponents easier to hit.

jineha

Neo Member
Shocking news
I heard someone beat the 6th maze boss by D/F solo. He did it in 330 turns.
I can't imagine how to do that.

Wait so what are the rules about binds? Generally, when should you use leg vs arm vs head? I pretty much stick to arm, assuming an arm bind will stop an attack. I assumed leg would prevent running away, maybe slow them down, and thought head might confuse or paralyze?

Wait so what are the rules about binds? Generally, when should you use leg vs arm vs head? I pretty much stick to arm, assuming an arm bind will stop an attack. I assumed leg would prevent running away, maybe slow them down, and thought head might confuse or paralyze?

Certain skills are linked to different limbs. And they also have accompanying stat decreases.

So bound legs probably do slow them down, and I know they decrease evasion. Arm binds probably decrease strength. Dunno about head bind.

But yeah, not all attacks are arm based.

vall03

Shocking news
I heard someone beat the 6th maze boss by D/F solo. He did it in 330 turns.
I can't imagine how to do that.

And here I thought the Shogun/Ninja solo back in EO3 is crazy. Im thinking stun hax but Im coming up empty on what a D/F can possibly do.

ohlawd

Head binds lower TEC, arms lower STR and legs lower AGI.
But their main use is to seal off skills that use that body part.

Anteo

Certain skills are linked to different limbs. And they also have accompanying stat decreases.

So bound legs probably do slow them down, and I know they decrease evasion. Arm binds probably decrease strength. Dunno about head bind.

But yeah, not all attacks are arm based.

This also apply to your characters. And the damage reduction on arm bind is 50% iirc.

Althane

Vacation!

More time to play EO!

Well, I made it to the boss of the second maze,
Hollow Queen

That freaking hurt. My part is ~30-32 (some shiny FOEs got me leveled up). The main thing that happened was her full party attack basically one shots my NS and D. Hurts from there. What should I bind? I had foot binds out to be able to hit her guards. Any advice?

Vacation!

More time to play EO!

Well, I made it to the boss of the second maze,
Hollow Queen

That freaking hurt. My part is ~30-32 (some shiny FOEs got me leveled up). The main thing that happened was her full party attack basically one shots my NS and D. Hurts from there. What should I bind? I had foot binds out to be able to hit her guards. Any advice?

Oh god... my party is ~23. Am I super underleveled? I got her down to near death my first try but that might have been pure luck.

ohlawd

Maybe, you should be around lvl 28 - the same level as the guest character.

what does her party attack do? If it's magic, try Elemental Guard?

Velcro Fly

So I have a pretty noobish question.

I've been getting the hammers to forge items and I just wonder if using them to forge an item consumes them or can I use them for a while or what. Getting to the point in the game where I'm starting to see some items that can be forged but I don't want to waste my forging materials on dumb weapons at the end of the second maze.

Anteo

Oh god... my party is ~23. Am I super underleveled? I got her down to near death my first try but that might have been pure luck.

Holy shit 23? It was a hard fight with me at 29-31. How are you doing this, did you retire way to many times?
I think I got to the maze at level 23....

I've been getting the hammers to forge items and I just wonder if using them to forge an item consumes them or can I use them for a while or what. Getting to the point in the game where I'm starting to see some items that can be forged but I don't want to waste my forging materials on dumb weapons at the end of the second maze.

The hammer is just an item that unlocks a new attribute to forge. What you will consume are the drops that you sold to the store, basically the store will use the same materials used to create the equip every time you forge something.

Althane

Forging takes materials required to create a weapon. Ergo, go nuts. Hammers do not wear out, and all the ingredients are usually relatively easy to get again.

Althane

Maybe, you should be around lvl 28 - the same level as the guest character.

what does her party attack do? If it's magic, try Elemental Guard?

That's a good point. My party is really not optimized for boss fights, more exploring. I might rest my fortress to pick up those skills. Or grind some more on shiny FOEs.

Anyone know the respawn rate of bosses? I want to get the special drop for the first boss.

Top Bottom