• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Anteo

By that time the moths join in... and then... and then....

Thankfully I managed to survive and escape, and then get one of the two way passageways unlocked. So when I go in next time I can avoid all that moth bullshit.

That reminds me, that cave is around the level of the second floor on the maze right? I remember I could not stay alive there until I got lower in the dugeon. The other cave was even worse =S.

spiritfox

I am stuck in the 2nd land. I have no quests or missions available, and I have talked to everyone I can. I started to explore the 2nd labyrinth. Am I just supposed to keep exploring that, and that's where I'll get my next quest? Or did I miss something?

Nothing in the bar, count won't give me anything, nothing from just talking to all the various characters. This is the first time a quest hasn't been available so I'm totally confused.

Just continue exploring.

edit: beaten. That's what I get for looking at GAF while watching Giantbomb.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's totally worth resting Runeseekers every strata to get the predominant elemental weakness for the area.

Also at 22/42 to get the next tier of murder spells.

This game is just too addicting.

I'm kind of interested in the maps you guys are making. Like, specific annotations and markings.

I actually don't use that many different markings, and I assume these are all common:

! = something I've discovered but can't use/get yet, with note

?= Something, but not a clue what it is, or seems to be part of a puzzle, with note

Circle = treasure I haven't picked up (hardly ever use this, only when I can see it but can't yet get to it)

Check = treasure I already picked up (with a note of what it was)

Open door = door I can pass through

One-way arrow = one-way "hidden" passage, or indication that I've found one end of the passage but not yet the other (the one I need to open it)

Two-way arrow = opened "hidden" passage

Ship = ship

Pink circle = pole

Sparkles = flower/wood/mining material, with note of what it is

Blue tile = water

That's pretty much all I use.

Does anyone NOT use the auto-map function (in the options menu)? I can't think of a reason why you would want to turn that off.

I just unlocked subclassing and I have no idea what to do.

My party is Dancer/Fortress/NS on the front and RM/Medic in the back.

I know I want to definately make either the medic or the RM sub Arcanist, and I was thinking maybe subbing Land for my NS, but outside of that I'm at a loss.

Any thoughts?

Anteo

I actually don't use that many different markings, and I assume these are all common:

! = something I've discovered but can't use/get yet, with note

?= Something, but not a clue what it is, or seems to be part of a puzzle, with note

Circle = treasure I haven't picked up (hardly ever use this, only when I can see it but can't yet get to it)

Check = treasure I already picked up (with a note of what it was)

Open door = door I can pass through

One-way arrow = one-way "hidden" passage, or indication that I've found one end of the passage but not yet the other (the one I need to open it)

Two-way arrow = opened "hidden" passage

Ship = ship

Pink circle = pole

Sparkles = flower/wood/mining material, with note of what it is

Blue tile = water

That's pretty much all I use.

Does anyone NOT use the auto-map function (in the options menu)? I can't think of a reason why you would want to turn that off.

The pole marks itself on the map with it's own specific icon when you use it.

balddemon

Banned
just a quick question before I forget, as I'm going to bed:

who is better at setting up ailments: arcanist or nightseeker? I don't want to rely on arcanist for both binds and ailments, and I just dropped my sniper for wufan so I have better aoe binds + poison circle + healing. I love the nightseeker bonus to affected enemies, but I rarely get to use it - randoms die too quickly, and bosses rarely become affected.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Arcanists have a skill that allows them to hit with ailments/binds more easily. Nightseekers are better at capitalizing off said ailments. (though auto spread+venom throw is NASTY)

Anteo

just a quick question before I forget, as I'm going to bed:

who is better at setting up ailments: arcanist or nightseeker? I don't want to rely on arcanist for both binds and ailments, and I just dropped my sniper for wufan so I have better aoe binds + poison circle + healing. I love the nightseeker bonus to affected enemies, but I rarely get to use it - randoms die too quickly, and bosses rarely become affected.

I remember Scy saying that NS skills have a better % of landing, however Arcanists stats and the 3rd Ailment Boost help them get ailments more frequently. Now about that bolded part, I run a NS and that is totally not the case for me. In fact I generally land 3 ailments in a fight that last around 6-8 turns with the burst that extends them.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wait so am I right in my assumption that the lower tier spells are not worthwhile?

Early on they are the best you have, but as soon as you can move onto the next bracket (22-2 for resting the first time, 42-2 the second time) you might as well redistribute the points into the next bracket as those spells are much meatier and not that much more expensive, especially since with the second bracket you can also put points into a spells sometimes cost no damage skill.

This is for runeseekers only. Nightseekers are another one to consider it on when they reach 40 as venom throw+auto spread and their various abilities that do more damage on ailments are totally worth losing 2 levels over.

Some classes have their absolute best stuff early on. L's, D's, P's.

UberTag

It's totally worth resting Runeseekers every strata to get the predominant elemental weakness for the area.

Also at 22/42 to get the next tier of murder spells.
Can't see why anyone would play this game without resting all of their characters at 22/42 just to block points with more flexibility instead of being pinned behind pre-req walls.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Can't see why anyone would play this game without resting all of their characters at 22/42 just to block points with more flexibility instead of being pinned behind pre-req walls.

I didn't bother with Medic, Protector, Dancer or Nightseeker. L I did do...but only because I changed the element that I used in the third strata.

Nightseeker I wish I had, but then I switched her subclass so I did it two levels later anyways.

vall03

I finally found the missing chest that I've been looking for since yesterday! Now I got the Cache Hoarder medal. But I feel stupid since I just missed something in the 6th dungeon and wasted my time wandering through each and every chest from the early dungeons, to the latest.

vall03

Holy Shit! Holy Shit!

I finally beat the goddamn Fallen One! And I wasn't prepared at all since I didn't bring much healing/curative items and I only started the fight with 3 Burst gauges! I was actually trying to beat it using Instant-Death by having my Dancer dual-wield knives with full insta-death slots and do normal attacks. The battle just kept on going and going, and I was lucky that I can bind him at the exact time I needed it, stun helped a lot too along with Burst Saver. I didn't even take it seriously with my Imperial just doing normal after every Drive, while my Nightseeker just kept on using Assassinate. But still, that was one intense fight which I never expected to win just by crippling him turn by turn. Now I wonder how that could have turned out if I was more prepared and used two Imperials.

Holy Shit! Holy Shit!

Anteo

Wait so AutoSpread last 2 turns? what?

Also gotta love EO, the second time against the final boss? easy.. My third rematch, 3 levels later, I got destroyed. What?

BearChair

Get ice for the maze boss, but otherwise, there are enemies that are weak to fire.

It's only Fan Dance. Remember not to take Speed Boost because (1) it glitches with Fan Dance, and (2) it does not actually give evasion.

Wait a sec, what is the glitch with Fan Dance and Speed Boost? This is the first I'm hearing about this.

spiritfox

Urgh... Not really feeling NS. Too dependent on your ailment to land, and not really useful without one. Sure it's nice to hit high numbers once in a while, but Imperials can do the same and are more sturdy. I think he's too luck based for me.

Wait a sec, what is the glitch with Fan Dance and Speed Boost? This is the first I'm hearing about this.

Fan Dance doesn't work with Speed Boost, at least in the Japanese version. Not sure it's fixed or not, but just to be safe, don't take both together. I'm sure Scy can tell you more about it.

scy

Wait so AutoSpread last 2 turns? what?

Spread Throws lasts until the next turn, not the next action. Despite the wording, Charge is the same.

Edit: Just to clarify, Cast Spread Throw on Turn 1 -> fades at the end of Turn 2. Auto-Spread does the same thing except you can actually use a Throw on Turn instead of spending that turn casting the buff.

Basically, Speed Boost is incorrectly tagged as boosting Evasion. This wouldn't mean much except that it prevents the actual Evasion boost from Fan Dance from working.

If you have Fan Dance via a Dancer subclass, you can safely get Speed Boost from your main. Any other permutation doesn't work, however.

The pole marks itself on the map with it's own specific icon when you use it.

Ah I just checked and you are right. What the heck am I talking about then? Maye I've been marking it before using it, not knowing it will be marked when I do use it? I know I've used that pink circle thing for something...

Anteo

Spread Throws lasts until the next turn, not the next action. Despite the wording, Charge is the same.

Edit: Just to clarify, Cast Spread Throw on Turn 1 -> fades at the end of Turn 2. Auto-Spread does the same thing except you can actually use a Throw on Turn instead of spending that turn casting the buff.

Basically, Speed Boost is incorrectly tagged as boosting Evasion. This wouldn't mean much except that it prevents the actual Evasion boost from Fan Dance from working.

If you have Fan Dance via a Dancer subclass, you can safely get Speed Boost from your main. Any other permutation doesn't work, however.

Yeah I figured that out. It's still odd that they programed it that way. Anyways so about the dancer skills, that means I can't have both evasion and speed on my fortress? =/ Well time to think which one I should use.

BearChair

To clarify, I have a Fortress/Dancer with both speed boost and fan dance maxed. Am I reading correctly that this has messed my character up and I need to respec with either fan dance or speed boost but not both?

scy

Yeah I figured that out. It's still odd that they programed it that way.

It's done so you don't waste things. For instance, Charge being taken up by counter attacks or chases done would seriously limit the appeal due to limited setups.

It also allows you to stack activations, though: Charge and then trigger a bunch of Chases (Trick Samba or Beat Dance) and use a Physical Burst Skill and whatever high damage skill you're planning to use.

To clarify, I have a Fortress/Dancer with both speed boost and fan dance maxed. Am I reading correctly that this has messed my character up and I need to respec with either fan dance or speed boost but not both?

Yup. It will not work. Basically, the only way to get both is to be a Nightseeker with Speed Boost with Dancer as your subclass with Fan Dance.

As for why ... I couldn't tell you. It's something with Speed Boost's erroneous Evasion listing that overrides Fan Dance. Considering how similar bugs in the past worked (Tsukikage in EO2 accidentally getting Arm Bind listed set it to 100% activation), it's probably something with how it's set that's overriding things after it in priority.

Not sure why the working case works, however. In all honesty, the fact there's a working case is the one I can't really wrap my head around :x

Edit: Actually, I guess if it goes Speed Boost (sub) -> Fan Dance (sub) -> Speed Boost (main) -> Fan Dance (main) then the case of Speed Boost overriding Fan Dance is that the +Evasion is hard set to 0 so the increments to it afterwards do nothing. Fan Dance coming before it in priority sets it to a value that gets applied and then Speed Boost zeroes out what follows.

Though, at this point, this is just trying to piece together a rationale for a bug :x

This game has become to me just like Dark Souls. Risk/Reward, do I chance pushing further or do I head back to town (bonfire). Exploration is saved but exp is lost. There are FOE's just like the Red Eyed Knights, which you can't take on until later in the game when you have better equipment.

Travelling back to town often regenerates FOE's, like the knights and enemies.

Normally this sin't my kind of game at all, but the similarities to the progression of Dark Souls is what hooked me and I haven't been able to stop playing.

Giggzy

Is there a noob guide to read somewhere? I just got to the lush woodlands in the demo and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed. Not in the sense of getting information overload, but rather knowing that I know absolutely nothing about what I'm doing.

How important are maps? I'm only in the second dungeon but I haven't been making notes or drawing maps at all. I haven't felt like I needed too. Do the dungeons get progressively larger to the point where I'll need to note my adventures? Do the dungeons get randomized when I leave and come back? Or will my map always be there so I'd know where things are at?

Anteo

Is there a noob guide to read somewhere? I just got to the lush woodlands in the demo and I'm starting to feel overwhelmed. Not in the sense of getting information overload, but rather knowing that I know absolutely nothing about what I'm doing.

How important are maps? I'm only in the second dungeon but I haven't been making notes or drawing maps at all. I haven't felt like I needed too. Do the dungeons get progressively larger to the point where I'll need to note my adventures? Do the dungeons get randomized when I leave and come back? Or will my map always be there so I'd know where things are at?

The map you make stays there. If you go back to the tutorial dugeon (is really close to the city towards the south) you will see your old map.

The dugeons get harder and more complicated, and bigger so it's best to draw as much as you need to remember everything. However not everyone draws their map the same so maybe you can get away by drawing less. The dugeons are static, so your map will be pretty usefull specially when it takes you more than one trave to map a whole floor.

There are some events you may want to write down. There is a icon with a small red triangle on the upper left corner, using that you can make a small note. The mine/take/shop spots are also usefull to take note of, as some of the material there are used for items. For example small flowers (take spot) are usde by the store to produce nectars (revive a party member) every time you sell one the store will get one more nectar to sell you back.

scy

There's not really one. Just fielding questions as they arise :x

Well, EO4 introduces a lot of smaller dungeons like the one you started off doing. The normal dungeons (like the Lush Woodlands) do get more complex (25x25 grid and most floors use a good majority of it) so mapping things is fairly useful. Do you need to mark down and note everything? Probably not. But it's nice to mark shortcuts and other useful things like that at the very least. Up to you, though. It's never required for progression to map everything.

And, no, the dungeons are not randomized. All their maps are preset.

jineha

Neo Member
3rd floor of the 6th maze is really tough. Monsters have very nice combos, like magus hits the lion to wake him up.
So many game overs.

jineha

Neo Member
Who can beat the 6th maze without mapping?
2nd floor is very beautiful, damage zone=yellow & warp zone=orange in my map.

Hit level 22 with my main party, and then rested them all to 20. Feels good man.

Improved Link + Vanguard + Swords Dance/Attack Tango Dancer is a go-go baby!

I maxed out sleep, halved curse, and then have 2 in paralysis/blind toss. I also maxed the "toss moves hit every enemy skill" but I think that was a mistake. I was blindly clicking at the time and didn't realize it lowered the negligible TP cost. But I'll be getting rid of my Nightseeker for an Arcanist anyway so no big deal.

Fortress has maxed out +def passive, then ally guard and line guard.

edit: Does Sword Dance (dancer skill) work with only Swords or Daggers too? The text says slashing weapons and daggers are slashing so...

ohlawd

what are the best forges for a Medic, Runemaster, Fortress and a Nightseeker?

I only have Imperial figured out with Element.

scy

edit: Does Sword Dance (dancer skill) work with only Swords or Daggers too? The text says slashing weapons and daggers are slashing so...

Any weapon will work.

what are the best forges for a Medic, Runemaster, Fortress and a Nightseeker?

I only have Imperial figured out with Element.

Medic is most likely TEC to increase their Healing. Honestly though, I'd just put a Status Effect on their Weapon or something.

Runemaster is ELM once their TEC is sufficiently high (~mid 60s?) enough.

Fortress is HP until they're capped and then probably a Status Effect (or VIT if uncapped, I guess). Alternatively, ATK so they deal a bit more damage whenever/if they attack.

Nightseeker would be ATK unless you rely on Ice Knife, in which case you'd want ATK and ELM in equal numbers.

To maximize the damage of their Elemental Drives, you actually want # of ATK Forges == # of ELM Forges for Imperials, by the way. Basically:

8 Forge Slots:
8x ATK Forges = 124% Damage
8x ELM Forges = 124% Damage
4x ATK Forges, 4x ELM Forges = (112%) * (112%) = ~125.44% Damage

dhlt25

I'm on the second land and need to get to the higher ground, so I keep explore the cave that I found with the mist or do I have to do something else?

Any weapon will work.

But it says specifically that Pierce/Splash damage weapons won't... is that a text error?

Also I am on floor B3 of the Misty Ravine. I got
Wufan to join my team. HOLY FUCK ARCANISTS ARE AMAZING. Walk to heal? Yes please. Binding circles? YES PLEASE. Dismiss to heal? OMG YES.

Where have they been all my life.

My only question is how do I build them? Focus on binds or status effects? Or put a few points in all of them? I feel it is better to max them out since % base and all.

How much should I put in Tame Ground and Bracing Walk?

Edit: Ok so I can't use Pole Stones in town.... how fucking useless. Why do these items exist if they can't take me from the town to the last dungeon floor I was on -_-

Top Bottom