• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Maybe, you should be around lvl 28 - the same level as the guest character.

what does her party attack do? If it's magic, try Elemental Guard?

Her party attack didn't actually kill me, it was the two guards. One of them did 100+ damage to my Dancer in a single shot. I dunno what I did differently the first fight.

But he tied before Turn 2 even began this time around.

Holy shit 23? It was a hard fight with me at 29-31. How are you doing this, did you retire way to many times?
I think I got to the maze at level 23....

Uh... I rested every character in my party a maximum of twice throughout the game.

Dunno how I got to the boss at such a low level. The regular enemies are easy enough at this point for me, and I did almost beat the boss on my first attempt but did not head bind her in time.

Zeldana

Neo Member
-Irrelevant Labyrinth 2 boss fight details but I'm REALLY glad to finally be done with that place -

Gah, speaking of that boss, I finally beat her after four or five failed attempts. Even had one of those moments halfway through the fight where my healer was down, everyone else was functioning at less than 50% HP and TP, and the boss herself still had a good 3/4 of her HP left and was dancing around, unbound, with two minions. I put the DS down at that point and contemplated resetting (EO boss fights, srsbsns y'all) but figured I'd keep going to see what would happen. Never know when luck swings your way. All but two of my guys completely ran out of TP, but I had juuuust enough sequestered to the arcanist to keep the boss's arms bound (which probably saved me from getting annihilated much earlier on) and I spent the last four turns just attacking blindly and hoping for the best. Little by little with a handful of items and well-placed Burst skill I finally managed to defeat her with only one party member completely out (my Landsneckt - she's always dying in boss fights). Cue massive sigh of relief.

- End irrelevant details -

I like the look of the third cave system but the ice stakes seem like bad news.

Anteo

That's a good point. My party is really not optimized for boss fights, more exploring. I might rest my fortress to pick up those skills. Or grind some more on shiny FOEs.

Anyone know the respawn rate of bosses? I want to get the special drop for the first boss.

I think is 15 days

-Irrelevant Labyrinth 2 boss fight details but I'm REALLY glad to finally be done with that place -

Gah, speaking of that boss, I finally beat her after four or five failed attempts. Even had one of those moments halfway through the fight where my healer was down, everyone else was functioning at less than 50% HP and TP, and the boss herself still had a good 3/4 of her HP left and was dancing around, unbound, with two minions. I put the DS down at that point and contemplated resetting (EO boss fights, srsbsns y'all) but figured I'd keep going to see what would happen. Never know when luck swings your way. All but two of my guys completely ran out of TP, but I had juuuust enough sequestered to the arcanist to keep the boss's arms bound (which probably saved me from getting annihilated much earlier on) and I spent the last four turns just attacking blindly and hoping for the best. Little by little with a handful of items and well-placed Burst skill I finally managed to defeat her with only one party member completely out (my Landsneckt - she's always dying in boss fights). Cue massive sigh of relief.

- End irrelevant details -

I like the look of the third cave system but the ice stakes seem like bad news.

Ok, which of her attacks are arm based? Because I did arm binding my first attempt, but the wiki says to go for head binding.

Zeldana

Neo Member
Ok, which of her attacks are arm based? Because I did arm binding my first attempt, but the wiki says to go for head binding.
The massive damage-dealing one that hits your whole party, I believe.

Edit: One of them. There's a couple, no? Her ice attacks were dampened by my Runemaster's ability to work the ice element to my advantage (weaker enemy attacks, stronger ice defense)

Up to the fourth land now.

While I found the golden cave a little frustrating, I think what made up for it was finding all the secret paths that took you around most of the scales. That or I just like pushing through and mapping as much as possible before leaving, though I almost died when I was practically forced to fight and kill two of the turtle FOEs on the third floor.

In the same battle.

While one was shining.

How do you guys think a casual JRPG player would feel about this game? For reference I like Ni Ni Kini, Persona 3 and 4, Ni No Kuni, and most FF games. The most hardcore JRPG I've played was probably SMT Nocturne which I liked but never beat.

The massive damage-dealing one that hits your whole party, I believe.

Edit: One of them. There's a couple, no? Her ice attacks were dampened by my Runemaster's ability to work the ice element to my advantage (weaker enemy attacks, stronger ice defense)

Hmm in that case, I was right in using arm bind. However, once she hits low health I believe you have to switch to head bind.

That's basically abusing the random battle system. But the games gives you the color coded orb at the bottom left corner of the main screen, so it's actually asking you to do it. That's pretty usefull for narrow paths were you have to walk and there are FOEs walking there too.

Welcome to EO.

It's my fourth, and eighth Atlus game with that mechanic. I even mentioned it in the post...

spiritfox

Hmm can anyone confirm what binds do what? I don't mean the skills locking, I mean the additional lowering evasion and what not. I have seen head binds lowering defense, lowering hit, and lowering tec. What exactly does it lower? How about the rest?

jineha

Neo Member
How do you guys think a casual JRPG player would feel about this game? For reference I like Ni Ni Kini, Persona 3 and 4, Ni No Kuni, and most FF games. The most hardcore JRPG I've played was probably SMT Nocturne which I liked but never beat.

EO is not so hardcore as mainline SMT and 4 is the vest version for new entry.
Unlike most JRPG, story is very simple and there are few cutscenes, no voice acting. Make your own guild, make your own character, make your own map, this is EO way.
You can try demo whether you like this or not. I can't say EO is the best RPG, but can say it's the best demo. Almost everything is in it and you can carry your progress to the full game.

I'm feeling that my landsnack is not really living up to it's potential.

Fortress/Dancer? Awesome. The speed/evasion boosts are neat.
Dancer/Nightseeker? Dual Wield and more speed boosts make this a ridiculous chase machine. Not sure if Beat Dance (Level 40, all allies target one) or Rush Dance (Follow all allies this turn) is better though.
Medic/Arcanist means lots of healing, works well.
Sniper/Arcanist binds EVERYTHING.

Feels like I'm missing something with the physical attacks though. The landshark is neat but I'm not sure if I should respec, focus on links. Or do a Bushi with a sub of some kind (not sure which.)

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH

I got the Hollow Queen to a sliver of health left, but then my party died. I was SO CLOSE. Though people have said to be level 28 and I am level 23. So I guess I'll grind a bit.

Also I was correct about arm binds being the main seal for her skills.

edit: Line defense is amazing when you know your Fortress is fucked but can prevent the entire rest of the line from being taken down.

vall03

Well, it seems the 6th maze boss is very doable.
Got him to red but I just need to find a way to deal damage as fast as possible. And I need Ignition in this fight so bad. When he used the attack that deal status, and then closed eye to regen all his limbs, it was the end. What kinda sucks is that I cant stun hax him... :(

Anteo

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH

I got the Hollow Queen to a sliver of health left, but then my party died. I was SO CLOSE. Though people have said to be level 28 and I am level 23. So I guess I'll grind a bit.

Also I was correct about arm binds being the main seal for her skills.

edit: Line defense is amazing when you know your Fortress is fucked but can prevent the entire rest of the line from being taken down.

I still don't understand how did you got so far at that level. I was struggling to move around the B2F at level 24

I still don't understand how did you got so far at that level. I was struggling to move around the B2F at level 24

Regen Dance + Fortress taking most hits + Multi-toss + Sleep/Paralysis + Link Damage + Escape Burst Skill for when there are too many tough enemies.

And then floor 3 is such a breeze because of whatshername.

vall03

Fuck this bullshit!

My two Imperials were ready with Charge Edge and a Drive the next turn for the 6th maze boss. Then the thing just killed my Fortress even with Party Shield and killed both my Imperials. I could have ended the fight there if I could have landed those two Drives! fuck!

I need to take a break... *sigh*

Anteo

Regen Dance + Fortress taking most hits + Multi-toss + Sleep/Paralysis + Link Damage + Escape Burst Skill for when there are too many tough enemies.

And then floor 3 is such a breeze because of whatshername.

Nice party config, I was mostly using runic magic and regulars attacks at that point, so it was harder for me.

So I'm in the post game now and I'm hearing there's a 6th maze?

Yeah. The game gives you a hint, though I don't remember when exacly.

iirc the count gives you a key and tells you that you can use in the back of one of the caves at the 5th land. The cave's name is Golden Deer Keep.

I am absolutely a casual JRPG player and I love EO4. I usually get put off by JRPG stories, dialogue, and character design unless the mechanics are really good. The mechanics in this are really, really good. Exploring dungeons is fun. Mapping is fun. Leveling is satisfying and skills and equipment are fun to experiment with.There are a ton of ways to play the game.

Give the demo a shot. It's free and the save will transfer to the full game if you decide to buy it. The demo really hooked me and I totally did not expect it to.

Manbig

Nice party config, I was mostly using runic magic and regulars attacks at that point, so it was harder for me.

Yeah. The game gives you a hint, though I don't remember when exacly.

iirc the count gives you a key and tells you that you can use in the back of one of the caves at the 5th land. The cave's name is Golden Deer Keep.

Yeah, I figured it out. Not liking the new battle music though. :( Question about the dragons:

I'm assuming they're the ones that break the level caps just like before right? If yes, how do I fight them?

Just finished the rose ice stone quest by giving the soldier the ice stone. Interesting ending.
Well that was a coincidence - I actually just finished it and was going to comment on it. Sneaky Atlus, had to restart the quest because I thought I misread somewhere, but yup :p

Anteo

I am absolutely a casual JRPG player and I love EO4. I usually get put off by JRPG stories, dialogue, and character design unless the mechanics are really good. The mechanics in this are really, really good. Exploring dungeons is fun. Mapping is fun. Leveling is satisfying and skills and equipment are fun to experiment with.There are a ton of ways to play the game.

Give the demo a shot. It's free and the save will transfer to the full game if you decide to buy it. The demo really hooked me and I totally did not expect it to.

Yeah this is totally true. A great example is CornBurrito, he is getting through the game a bit underleveled compared to me for example, but I didn't have any need to grind, I got to the average level with just playing, mapping and doing quest. Shows how everyone can do their own thing.

And now in the post game content, I need some extra levels and I'm not grinding random encounters, I'm fucking grinding post game bosses that can totally wipe me if I make a mistake, and is stll fun because is not just pressing A, even after defeating them 3 times they have managed to take me down.

Edit:

Yeah, I figured it out. Not liking the new battle music though. :( Question about the dragons:

I'm assuming they're the ones that break the level caps just like before right? If yes, how do I fight them?

That area could very well be in a
Survival Horror Dugeon Crawler. I mean the music, the battle theme, the encounters, the events omg the events. *shivers*

About the bosses, you get new quests, those quests will guide you to the boss, is pretty straightforward. Now about HOW to survive the fight...
Get some anti element charms, the usual. And that's all I know =/. I think their attack pattern is like the one in the previous game, or at least a lot like it.

Manbig

Yeah this is totally true. A great example is CornBurrito, he is getting through the game a bit underleveled compared to me for example, but I didn't have any need to grind, I got to the average level with just playing, mapping and doing quest. Shows how everyone can do their own thing.

And now in the post game content, I need some extra levels and I'm not grinding random encounters, I'm fucking grinding post game bosses that can totally wipe me if I make a mistake, and is stll fun because is not just pressing A, even after defeating them 3 times they have managed to take me down.

Edit:

That area could very well be in a
Survival Horror Dugeon Crawler. I mean the music, the battle theme, the encounters, the events omg the events. *shivers*

About the bosses, you get new quests, those quests will guide you to the boss, is pretty straightforward. Now about HOW to survive the fight...
Get some anti element charms, the usual. And that's all I know =/. I think their attack pattern is like the one in the previous game, or at least a lot like it.

Man, just when I thought I was done with this game and was just about ready to crack open Virtue's Last Reward, they pull me right back in! Thank you for the info.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Just finished everything in the game, this one was my favourite EO yet, I loved the last maze.

vall03

Finally beat the 6th maze boss. It felt anti-climactic for me actually, but then again, having two Imperials spamming Drives and then ending the fight with two Overdrives is overkill compared to how it took me 40+ turns to beat the Black Dragon. I kinda wish there an AR for 3DS because I so want 99 Warped Cores for the ultimate weapons hehe

Anyway whats missing in this game are these two

xEwpOEB.jpg

Alraune and Scylla are not amused. Put them in EOV next time pls!
With bonus jiggle physics too! Do it Atlus! But then again, considering how Shin in EO3 was heavily censored in the US version, I highly doubt we'd see those. We also need more fanart in this thread!

I want to post my Guild Card but I don't want to quit my game and ruin my Activity Log record lol All thats left for me is to grind my 5 main characters and retire them. Then start New Game+ with a different party.

scy

Normal game grinding - Better farm these shiny Sheep / Mantises!
Post-game grinding - Better farm these motherfucking Dragons!

What's a good place to grind outside of the Dream Eaters?

Icy Pincers (3rd Land) are usable as well every three days. Happiness Hares for making them Rare. Or, as said above, Dragons and other post-game bosses!

Alternatively, just long dungeon runs with +EXP Food going. It adds up! Plus, for example, the 6th Dungeon's
Nightmare Rams basically give the same EXP as a Shiny Sheep anyway and are fairly easy to kill + farming Formaldehyde mats

Anyway whats missing in this game are these two

No Scylla makes me sad ;__;

I want to post my Guild Card but I don't want to quit my game and ruin my Activity Log record lol

Haha...ha...

I'm right there with you.

The number of unique enemy designs was probably a bit cut down because they couldn't use sprites anymore and had to make new models for everything. If EO5 is more iterative we could see more of the old designs show up again as 3D models.

vall03

The number of unique enemy designs was probably a bit cut down because they couldn't use sprites anymore and had to make new models for everything. If EO5 is more iterative we could see more of the old designs show up again as 3D models.

One thing I liked about the enemy animations are the nods to their poses from the previous games. Didn't really notice this until I saw the Stalker use its default EO2 pose then went to the EO3 pose which was really cool imo.

Scylla uses Cry Soul!
400, 400, 400, 400, 400!

;__;

Thank goodness we were able to get our payback to her in EO3! hehe

Venfayth

I've been playing this game casually for the past few days, and I've got a question:

What does the equipment that says it prevents binding effects on my head / arms / legs / etc do?

Anteo

I've been playing this game casually for the past few days, and I've got a question:

What does the equipment that says it prevents binding effects on my head / arms / legs / etc do?

It does exactly that, it gives your characters higher resistance to head/arms/legs binds.

There are skills, both for you (Sniper and hidden class 1) and the enemies that can bind a part of the body. Since your characters/the mosnters have to use certain part of the body to cast spells, those spells may be blocked.

For example, medics use their head when casting heals, so a head bind will shut them down. Also the binds have secondary effects, head binds will affect accuracy, legs binds will reduce enemies evasion, and arm binds will decrease their attack.

I'm slowly pushing into the postgame content. I managed to beat
Blizzard King
last night with a desperation burst attack with two guys left. Instant death to all at the end of a big battle is the worst! His drop didn't unlock any new gear for me though. It was pretty neat how I hit the level cap upon beating him with one of my guys only for the level cap to be raised afterwards. I tried the dragon on the first land as well but his damage is just too much for me right now with my current setup.

I think I messed up my 6th maze map because I don't have anywhere left to go. Time to retrace my steps!

Anteo

I'm slowly pushing into the postgame content. I managed to beat
Blizzard King
last night with a desperation burst attack with two guys left. Instant death to all at the end of a big battle is the worst! His drop didn't unlock any new gear for me though. It was pretty neat how I hit the level cap upon beating him with one of my guys only for the level cap to be raised afterwards. I tried the dragon on the first land as well but his damage is just too much for me right now with my current setup.

I think I messed up my 6th maze map because I don't have anywhere left to go. Time to retrace my steps!

This is something hard to figure out about the bosses but (in case you don't know already)
Their best AoE attack depends on how many buffs you have in your party. The amounts of buffs you can have before he tries to kill you depends on how much hp he has left. That's why right now my best strat is buff my Fortress and do Party guard. 2 buffs in my whole party for all the battle, of course 2 buffs is not the limit but still.

spiritfox

This is something hard to figure out about the bosses but (in case you don't know already)
Their best AoE attack depends on how many buffs you have in your party. The amounts of buffs you can have before he tries to kill you depends on how much hp he has left. That's why right now my best strat is buff my Fortress and do Party guard. 2 buffs in my whole party for all the battle, of course 2 buffs is not the limit but still.

Isn't that only for
Storm Dragon
?

scy

Just to ask again, what exactly does binding lower? The stats that affect the evasion etc., or the evasion itself?

Head Bind - Reduces TEC (which is where the Accuracy penalty comes from now*)
Arm Bind - Reduces STR
Leg Bind - Reduces AGI, disables Evasion

It's worth noting that I'm not sure if Arm Bind actually lowers Damage dealt or if it's just all from the STR penalty. If it halves STR, for instance, that severely cuts into Enemy damage since their "Weapon Attack" is merely a STR-based multiplier. And then there's the sqrt(STR/VIT) factor that would scale it harshly too. So I guess I answered myself there.

*EO1/EO2 had Head Bind actually alter the Accuracy formula but that was dropped in EO3. I believe all it has now is the TEC penalty for Accuracy reduction. This TEC reduction does mean Spell Damage goes up against that target so that's something to keep in mind.

Not sure I'm understanding correctly -- are you saying that he only does those big attacks if you don't have buffs up? I did notice that when he (Blizzard King) got down to the last 25% he started debuffing my party a lot more. Do you just need to keep putting them up and he'll hold off on using the death attack, or am I not following?

I need to respec my Fortress. He's like 10 levels above everyone else thanks to them all retiring, and I've got points thrown all over the place in trying to build in several directions. I think with these new postgame bosses that I might need to turn my Fortress into a pure defense hog instead of having him with maxed sword dance and bolt strike and etc.

balddemon

Banned
Haha...ha...

I'm right there with you.

care to elaborate on this a little bit?

also the only bad thing about playing a game this soon after its release date is that there are no guides or anything. for instance, the soldier gave me a nectar II and it sells for 2800en. wtf does that mean it costs 5k+ to buy? can you even buy it?

scy

care to elaborate on this a little bit?

I just like the Activity Log to say "Played game once" or whatever. It's absolutely stupid :x

also the only bad thing about playing a game this soon after its release date is that there are no guides or anything. for instance, the soldier gave me a nectar II and it sells for 2800en. wtf does that mean it costs 5k+ to buy? can you even buy it?

The worst part of Nectar II's isn't the monetary cost. It's the item required: A Conditional Drop (x3) from an Overworld FoE.

Well if the Blue one instadead is just random or turn based then I've been too lucky this last 3 fights. (Which could be as I always save the paralysis to the end of the fight)

I haven't looked into the fights much yet but I think only one of them has a buff count dependent skill. They do all have an Elemental buff reset, though.

What do I feed to Kangaroos to make them shiny?

Also, I am still in the low 20's. Where/what should I grind to get to 28-30?

Nothing turns them Shiny. Just use the Sheep with some Sleep Resistance equipped. Their damage output isn't that great so they're not that hard to kill, really. Gold Stinkhorns will turn the Sheep shiny and they're on a 1-day respawn timer (just like the gathering nodes) so it's pretty convenient.

Top Bottom