• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

tuffy

I'm running I/N F/D I/N, S/A A/M at the moment, where one Imperial is setup for elemental damage and the other for non-elemental. It worked out well enough for getting my level cap to 99 since the big drives do a lot of damage once Ignition kicks in. But it's not as fun for general exploration since I'm bouncing back and forth with Impulse edge during random encounters to keep my TP supply up.

When I finally retire everyone for a "New Game Plus" run, I'll probably bring back a Bushi because it's nice to have a full-time damage machine upfront without a lot of cooldown time.

balddemon

Banned
I'm running I/N F/D I/N, S/A A/M at the moment, where one Imperial is setup for elemental damage and the other for non-elemental. It worked out well enough for getting my level cap to 99 since the big drives do a lot of damage once Ignition kicks in. But it's not as fun for general exploration since I'm bouncing back and forth with Impulse edge during random encounters to keep my TP supply up.

When I finally retire everyone for a "New Game Plus" run, I'll probably bring back a Bushi because it's nice to have a full-time damage machine upfront without a lot of cooldown time.

do bushis actually do a lot of damage? when
kibasami
was in my party, I wasn't too impressed with his damage output. maybe he just had the wrong build?

also, do legendary foods respawn? I'm assuming so, because that would be stupid if not, but I just got the 2nd altitude upgrade and am going around collecting all the shit I couldn't and filling the maps of the lands out. another thing, is there an upgrade so you can go against the wind gusts that push you one way?

scy

kibasami
was in my party, I wasn't too impressed with his damage output. maybe he just had the wrong build?

They're rather self-sufficient when auto-attacking and they have a lot of ways to build up to a good damage multiplier. They're rather solid damage dealers and fairly straightforward.

I just don't like their portraits, personally.

also, do legendary foods respawn? I'm assuming so, because that would be stupid if not, but I just got the 2nd altitude upgrade and am going around collecting all the shit I couldn't and filling the maps of the lands out. another thing, is there an upgrade so you can go against the wind gusts that push you one way?

The foods respawn and you get that Upgrade at the start of the post-game.

Ferrio

Banned
Yay finally got access to subclasses.

Think I'll do it this way:

Fortress->Medic
Nightseeker -> Dancer
Dancer -> Land
Rune -> ??? (maybe a sniper just because... hey extra skill points)
Medic -> Arcanist

This is all temporary though, until I'm able to retire.

tuffy

kibasami
I thought mine did pretty well when coupled with a Nightseeker subclass and dual-wielding. You can use the high-speed katana attack several times in a row for hundreds of points per slash (which often triggers twice for another half damage swing), attack once or twice normally to refill TP, then go right back again. Their total output likely doesn't match an Imperial or Lendshnerk statistically, but it's very reliable and the class is quite durable.

Necrovex

There's a demo if you want to try it out before buying. All progress there can be carried forward onto the actual game.

Don't let the artstyle fool you, it's a pretty challenging dungeon crawler that can easily kick your ass if you are not careful. But just take it slow, explore everywhere, and read whatever the game tells you, and you should be fine. There's no need to grind in this game, you get all the XP you need from doing quests and just killing all the enemies while exploring. If you have any problems just ask us! We're happy to help.

Oh and always carry a Ariadne Thread with you. It will save your life. Though you don't really need it in casual since the game gives it to you for free...

I forgot there was a demo for this game, I'll download it when I get home.

Also, more games need to actually save your progress when playing a demo. It is an awful feeling to replay a section of a game that was in a demo.

Anteo

I forgot there was a demo for this game, I'll download it when I get home.

Also, more games need to actually save your progress when playing a demo. It is an awful feeling to replay a section of a game that was in a demo.

Remember that at any point in the game you can jump from normal to casual (you need to be in the main city though) so be sure to try both modes.

Ferrio

Banned
Remember that at any point in the game you can jump from normal to casual (you need to be in the main city though) so be sure to try both modes.

This was my first EO game. For all the talk of difficulty, I surprised how easy the game is. I've died quite a few times, but more often than not it's just because I was being stupid. As long as I take it slow, I seem to do just fine. But hey I'm only a bit into land 3.... maybe something happens to cause a difficulty spike.

Anteo

This was my first EO game. For all the talk of difficulty, I surprised how easy the game is. I've died quite a few times, but more often than not it's just because I was being stupid. As long as I take it slow, I seem to do just fine. But hey I'm only a bit into land 3.... maybe something happens to cause a difficulty spike.

Well earlier games where really unfair, with brick wall bosses, or iirc from a post in this thread, venom was pretty common on your first time at a maze (there where no caves) and it would kill you in 1 or 2 turns. Also in EO3 there was a random encounter in B1F (again, since there are no caves, the tutorial is here) that could one hit KO most of your party at levels 1-3.

EO4 has a better balance early, leading to deaths because you overextend and try to keep playing when you should head back. Also nasty combos start from land 2 onwards like the sleep/selfdestruct at land 2.

Anteo

I've noticed that nobody seemed to reply to my question about two quests in the third maze. Let me quote that.

Oh that quest!

You have to go to a particular cave, the frozen one, get to the center of the map and walk south, you should hit a ice wall, you can trigger a event while facing said wall (though is a specific tile)

Edit: Welp I meant to edit. That's what happens when you post too fast.

I've noticed that nobody seemed to reply to my question about two quests in the third maze. Let me quote that.

The Ice Stone
is in C3 on B1F, at the third from the left square, at the top (next to an ice patch). When you get it, you'll have someone asking for it. Deny his requests until he has lost hope (lol), then say yes and hand it over. This'll net you the biggest reward.

As for Fire Fungus,
I've found at least two places where they are:
B1F, C4, 5th from the left, 2nd from the top. I think it's behind a scale.
B2F, C6, 5th from the left, 2nd from the top. You can get here easily from the top shortcut to the left of the Geomagnetic Pole.

Anteo

The Ice Stone
is in C3 on B1F, at the third from the left square, at the top (next to an ice patch). When you get it, you'll have someone asking for it. Deny his requests until he has lost hope (lol), then say yes and hand it over. This'll net you the biggest reward.

As for Fire Fungus,
I've found at least two places where they are:
B1F, C4, 5th from the left, 2nd from the top. I think it's behind a scale.
B2F, C6, 5th from the left, 2nd from the top. You can get here easily from the top shortcut to the left of the Geomagnetic Pole.

Huh I think I got the wrong quest name then. I was thinking about the quest for the vessel that ask you for ice.

scy

Well earlier games where really unfair, with brick wall bosses, or iirc from a post in this thread, venom was pretty common on your first time at a maze (there where no caves) and it would kill you in 1 or 2 turns. Also in EO3 there was a random encounter in B1F (again, since there are no caves, the tutorial is here) that could one hit KO most of your party at levels 1-3.

Venomflies in the 1st Stratum of EO1.

On the first floor.

As an Ambush.

Huh I think I got the wrong quest name then. I was thinking about the quest for the vessel that ask you for ice.

There's three quests he can potentially be asking about.

Just to cover all the bases here, the one asking for an Elemental Stone merely needs you to kill one of the (large) Elemental Spawn enemies with a non-Fire, Ice, or Volt attack. If you bring both back, you get a better reward.

Proven

I'm still in the demo areas of the game, but honestly, a lot of this reminds me of Persona 3. Going up floors of Tartarus, seeing how long I can survive with items before my SP ran out, then heading back to the base to rest, save, consolidate experience and Persona, then going back out to get more treasure, experience, and quest drops.

I really don't see much difference other than the fact that there are FOEs and that it doesn't sound like it's easy to face an end-of-floor boss at full power.

In my NG+ I'm back up to the 5th Maze... I've been playing the FOE/food game in the overworld a lot, so I have been handling everything fine. (edit-) Actually my levels are already like mid-60s!

Nectar II's still seem like a hassle to farm. (I wish they let you sleep 14 days at a time. )I'm going to put a Medic in my party for the post-game, so at least I won't need nectars as much.

I just got the Arcanist (damn that boss was a bitch, kept suddenly killing off my party when it was almost dead). How is Arcanist for dealing damage? I ask because I really liked her for her circles, but the person on my team she'd probably replace is my sniper, and he's my third damage dealer. My party right now is Land, Fort, Dance, Rune, Sniper, with Land and Rune doing the most damage, followed by Sniper. The only other person she might replace is my Fort, but I dunno, it's useful having a tank and not having to worry too much about maxing out other character's armor.

I'm missing an item.

Tiger's Eye
???
Metallic Horn

That's how it looks in the item compendium. Does anyone know what that is, and where or what it is from?

I just got the Arcanist (damn that boss was a bitch, kept suddenly killing off my party when it was almost dead). How is Arcanist for dealing damage? I ask because I really liked her for her circles, but the person on my team she'd probably replace is my sniper, and he's my third damage dealer. My party right now is Land, Fort, Dance, Rune, Sniper, with Land and Rune doing the most damage, followed by Sniper.

On my first playthrough I replaced the Dancer with the Arcanist. You could replace your Sniper...Yeah, Arc's damage is decent with Dismiss skills, but they're kind of like a Healer too, that's why I replaced my Dancer. I've been using a Dancer now and I like it, instead of an Arcanist.

tuffy

I just got the Arcanist (damn that boss was a bitch, kept suddenly killing off my party when it was almost dead). How is Arcanist for dealing damage? I ask because I really liked her for her circles, but the person on my team she'd probably replace is my sniper, and he's my third damage dealer.
I'm in the postgame maze and my Arcanist is still cleaning out random encounters. On the first turn I put up a maxed poison circle which usually hits at least somebody, I get some of my TP back and they take 300HP at the end of the around. On the second turn I'll Dismiss Blast them for several hundred more HP and I get another chunk of TP back. And there usually isn't a turn three.

It's a little more complicated against bosses since the poison doesn't hit as often, the healing for just having the circle up isn't much, and the turn of setup is significant. But Dismiss Heal is often enough to bring everybody back to full strength and a subclassed Medic is good for curing status effects and resurrecting, so it seems to work out.

balddemon

Banned
is there a way to get refresh waltz to affect the whole party without using wide dance? I don't see my F/D getting as far as wide dance in the skill tree.

also what would you guys suggest replacing with a bushi? or general improvements? right now my team is
F/D | N/A | L
A/M | R

the main issues I encounter are lack of volt damage, and tp loss for my landshark and nightseeker (sword tempest and swift edge aren't cheap haha). ideas?

Anteo

Look what I just got! Looks so good. Sadly I can't open it, it's not mine :C (I have a digital copy)

J6QSmF5.jpg

tuffy

also what would you guys suggest replacing with a bushi?
I wound up swapping out my Landshark for a Bushi with a Nightseeker subclass. The Bushi's HP/TP restore-on-normal-attack skills combined with Nightseeker's dual-wielding gives you an infinite supply of elemental and non-elemental Bushi attacks. It's a fun combination, but doesn't shine until some skills open up at level 40.

balddemon

Banned
I wound up swapping out my Landshark for a Bushi with a Nightseeker subclass. The Bushi's HP/TP restore-on-normal-attack skills combined with Nightseeker's dual-wielding gives you an infinite supply of elemental and non-elemental Bushi attacks. It's a fun combination, but doesn't shine until some skills open up at level 40.

yeah all my characters are lvl 45. I'll look into that, thanks.

is there any point to maxing an elemental skill besides the ultimates? because you can max all 3, have 3 points in each weakness rune, max all the passives, free energy, tp boost, herbology, and origin rune exactly at lvl 99. having all 3 would be incredibly handy.

ohlawd

why? I'd rather have a skill that attacks all enemies rather than one that can only hit 2 enemies.

Strictly for bosses, the "random hit" spells deal a lot more damage overall than the "hit all" ones.

I don't think about the normal mobs because I steamroll them no matter what I do.

spiritfox

Venomflies in the 1st Stratum of EO1.

On the first floor.

As an Ambush.

There's three quests he can potentially be asking about.

Just to cover all the bases here, the one asking for an Elemental Stone merely needs you to kill one of the (large) Elemental Spawn enemies with a non-Fire, Ice, or Volt attack. If you bring both back, you get a better reward.

Why yes, I would like to rest in the peaceful clearing. What could go wrong?

I believe the quest he is asking about is the underground lake one? If so it's just south of the pedestal.

Strictly for bosses, the "random hit" spells deal a lot more damage overall than the "hit all" ones.

I don't think about the normal mobs because I steamroll them no matter what I do.
I'm thinking of maxing out the crit/Attack potential of my Sniper along with Squall Volley for exactly this purpose.

On another note, just reached the 5th labyrinth... music is oh so so very good, as usual.

Wow, (5th dungeon)
Venomflies
and poison are rocking my world right now. So much damage...

I like how they just
put EO1 enemies
as the final barrier, lol.

Do you think I'll run out of things to do eventually? It seems like there is a big treadmill of grinding especially if you retire level 99's to 30 and farm for Pooka books...Seems like those are the two things to do at the end...and kill bosses. Also farming for equips/forges.

I like the game so much, I wish there was a way it was infinitely replayable. I've even thought of getting a second copy.

vall03

Do you think I'll run out of things to do eventually? It seems like there is a big treadmill of grinding especially if you retire level 99's to 30 and farm for Pooka books...Seems like those are the two things to do at the end...and kill bosses. Also farming for equips/forges.

I like the game so much, I wish there was a way it was infinitely replayable. I've even thought of getting a second copy.

uh... QR Quests? There are tons out there but I barely touched most of them since it was very difficult to track and you can only register one quest at a time.

I've been thinking of the same thing, and theres really not much to do after you finish the game, but the main replayability imo is trying to beat the game with different party combinations. Heck, in my third playthrough, Im planning to do an all Fortress party. Try to be creative, I remember people played EO3 with an all Farmer party.

tuffy

The real meat of the game is in the story mode, while the postgame stuff is for hardcore min/maxers who enjoy the challenge of pushing numbers as high as they'll go. Since my level 75-76 party is still getting wiped by random encounters in the 6th maze, that tells me I've got a lot of work left to do. But it's a little lonely once the bar quests dry up and there's no one left to help out.

I did some QR quests. Probably the majority of them. They don't really seem worth it for xp or rewards.

I am currently replaying with a different party in new game+. I used story characters the first time and now I'm using the ones I started with. I don't want to do another new game+ because you have to collect everything over again (bursts/hammers/item unlocks) and do quests all over again.

balddemon

Banned
The skill simulator has now been updated with the official English translations for everything, which makes it easier to apply builds to the game.

finally. holy crap it was way too difficult for me to switch between the game and the site lol.

also I'd like to see damage calcs for tier 2 vs tier 3 ice. because if an enemy is weak to ice, blizzard does 1k+, but I don't know about glacier.

Totakeke

Ok, I finally hit a wall with my F/N/N | A/M setup. I guess I gotta retrain a new party for the final post-game boss because my 92 LUC 76 TEC Arcanist can only land a status on the boss itself less than 20% of the time. That makes my party kinda shitty. :(

Ok, I finally hit a wall with my F/N/N | A/M setup. I guess I gotta retrain a new party for the final post-game boss because my 92 LUC 76 TEC Arcanist can only land a status on the boss itself less than 20% of the time. That makes my party kinda shitty. :(

Hmm...Maybe replace the Ns with Imperials?? I wish I could help you there, but I don't know, maybe the boss is vulnerable to a particular ailment?

scy

finally. holy crap it was way too difficult for me to switch between the game and the site lol.

also I'd like to see damage calcs for tier 2 vs tier 3 ice. because if an enemy is weak to ice, blizzard does 1k+, but I don't know about glacier.

On average, Glacier will do around 252% damage (3.5 AvgHits @ 72%/hit); Blizzard is 190%. It's basically 33% more damage so if you hit for ~1000, you'll do ~1300 with Glacier.

Tier 3 Fire, Tier 2 Ice, Tier 3 Volt are the best options for Elemental damage for boss killing. Tier 3 Ice is the best option for all-target Elemental damage but you could just get Origin Rune and just deal with the massive TP cost somehow.

Top Bottom