• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

vall03

Eh, 1 is a bit rougher than the others but it's still definitely playable. And it's the closest the series ever got to an interesting plot.

Play it for the plot.

I can't believe I'm saying this for an EO game.

For all the shortcomings EO1 has thanks to the improvements on the sequels, It really has the best story in the series. Though for me, my biggest problem with 1 and even 2 is the lack of Battle Speed option, after having it in 3 and 4, its slightly hard to go back.

Alex

got the first 3 games. gonna give them a try. might skip 1, I heard it's garbage comparatively.

Skip the original, play 2 then 3 for standard reiterations sake. If you've exhausted those two and perhaps options on other platforms, then go back and slum it a bit with the original. It's certainly not bad, but it is dated and a bit obnoxious in spots. Still probably better than any of the other modern Japanese traditional crawls though.

As some folks said, it does try a bit harder with it's plot, but it's still not good nor is it a boon, IMO, for this subgenre to have a plot anyway.

spiritfox

Skip the original, play 2 then 3 for standard reiterations sake. If you've exhausted those two and perhaps options on other platforms, then go back and slum it a bit with the original. It's certainly not bad, but it is dated and a bit obnoxious in spots, they've made great strides.

As some folks said, it does try a bit harder with it's plot, but it's still not good nor is it a boon, IMO, for this subgenre to have a plot anyway.

True the plot wasn't incredible, but I liked the twist and really changed how I viewed the game. It was part of why I grew to love the series so, and I'm kinda disappointed the rest of the series didn't even try to come close to it.

I would actually like it if Altus revisited the first game and bring in the improvements made in the later games. And better graphics of course.

Alex

True the plot wasn't incredible, but I liked the twist and really changed how I viewed the game. It was part of why I grew to love the series so, and I'm kinda disappointed the rest of the series didn't even try to come close to it.

I would actually like it if Altus revisited the first game and bring in the improvements made in the later games. And better graphics of course.

Quality isn't my concern just so much as I don't really want a story beyond some light context in my dungeon crawlers and to be left alone. It wasn't offensive, and I wouldn't shy away from it, so it'd be fine but I'd prefer if they doled it out in an alternative manner if it was a goal rather than just giving the game a straight up story.

I'm not sure where I want the series to go, certainly no remakes or anything, personally. Ultimately I want them to keep building in a linear nature, especially after IV because IV is one of the best dungeon crawlers I've ever played but I wouldn't mind a shake up. Although, my idea of a shake up would be maybe a Sci-Fi EO or something :lol

ohlawd

Life screwed me over and I haven't been able to play, I'm starting tomorrow.

It's been the worst month ever, I want to level my dancer ;-;

After all this time, I thought you left me for good ='(

dunno the details about your life but I'm here, as your fellow dancer loving buddy.

After all this time, I thought you left me for good ='(

dunno the details about your life but I'm here, as your fellow dancer loving buddy.

I've been busy, but I'm a EO fanatic(not as crazy as scy) and I'm here to stay.

And the dancer is my favorite class ever(Princess was my fav before)

vall03

Of all the possible enemies that would give me trouble in my 2nd playthrough, a fucking Quest Boss almost wiped me out. Now Im starting to hate this party setup... *sigh*

Any tips for food to eat before final boss (maze 5)? Or accessories to mitigate damage.

I tried eating dragon carp to raise ele resistance... Not sure if that helped.

Yeah, it's a lot harder on normal difficulty.

scy

Life screwed me over and I haven't been able to play, I'm starting tomorrow.

It's been the worst month ever, I want to level my dancer ;-;

I feel ya ;__; EO4/math has been my "I hate everything less for the time being" for the past week or so.

I've been busy, but I'm a EO fanatic(not as crazy as scy) and I'm here to stay.

I'm not that crazy.

Maybe.

And the dancer is my favorite class ever(Princess was my fav before)

I refuse to remove my Dancer.

vall03

Oh! favorite class talk? Well for me...

Twindrill Dark Hunter
Blonde Gunner
Blonde Princess
Twintail Fortress

Those are because of my fetishes lol

Well, I beat the final boss. Nobody replied, but I didn't really need any help. Just took a few tries.

I beat it with N, L, I / D, S.

Current levels
70 N, 70 L, 69 S, 71 D, 67 I

I got to say, I like my Dancer too. Wide Dance is very useful for Attack Tango. I put Healing Step on him for the last battle.

I'm going to level up to 99 for the postgame before I retire anybody for the maximum benefit.

Right now my original team from my first playthrough (this was my NG+) are:
97 S, 93 R, 93 A, 88 B, 89 I.

So it seems like I'm missing a Medic and Fortress. My highest level M is 21, F is 41. Maybe I'll use the trainers for that.

On to the post-game!

spiritfox

I'm out of here.

But they are so moe!

Well, I beat the final boss. Nobody replied, but I didn't really need any help. Just took a few tries.

I beat it with N, L, I / D, S.

Current levels
70 N, 70 L, 69 S, 71 D, 67 I

I got to say, I like my Dancer too. Wide Dance is very useful for Attack Tango. I put Healing Step on him for the last battle.

I'm going to level up to 99 for the postgame before I retire anybody for the maximum benefit.

Right now my original team from my first playthrough (this was my NG+) are:
97 S, 93 R, 93 A, 88 B, 89 I.

So it seems like I'm missing a Medic and Fortress. My highest level M is 21, F is 41. Maybe I'll use the trainers for that.

On to the post-game!

I prefer to have my dancer on the same row as my main attackers, so I don't have to waste turns doing Wide Dance, but I don't really see anyone else that can do back row.

Anyway, 70 is an ok level for the final boss, I guess you were having a hard time because of lack of damage mitigation. Guard Tango would have helped, or frequent use of binds and ailments to lock her down. I don't know what food to eat, but she does both electric and ice damage so yeah.

I prefer to have my dancer on the same row as my main attackers, so I don't have to waste turns doing Wide Dance, but I don't really see anyone else that can do back row.

Anyway, 70 is an ok level for the final boss, I guess you were having a hard time because of lack of damage mitigation. Guard Tango would have helped, or frequent use of binds and ailments to lock her down. I don't know what food to eat, but she does both electric and ice damage so yeah.

Yeah, I did bring my Dancer up front while my Nightseeker was using throws from the back row. The Dancer is the only other class besides Sniper that can use a bow, so Dancers do have some use for the back row though.

Anyways, yeah, I found I took more damage than my casual playthrough. That's the main difference. The boss has an attack that nukes majorly when the hands pull up in front of the face. I didn't really prepare for that. I think you can stop that attack, which kills almost everybody, if you kill the hands.

I believe it's Fire and Volt damage. Although...I think they also might be some type of physical damage as well...

tuffy

Now that I've gotten everyone to level 80, it's time to retire everyone, subclass them, reequip them and start New Game+ with a fresh team. Since my last one was big on defense with a Fortress and binding Sniper, I think I'll go for something with a more offensive approach, like:
  • I/N - elemental and non-elemental drives for big upfront damage,
  • N/I - status effects, plus charge gauntlets, plus a big drive promises to do monstrous damage
  • B/N - nonstop, nearly invincible upfront attacker without any warmup or cooldown times
  • R/I - wide-area damage, elemental protection and Imperial support
  • A/M - binding circles this time, Dismiss Heal/Blast and passive between-fights healing
Not sure if it's optimal or whether I'll be able to tackle the postgame boss with this setup either, but it seems like fun on paper at least. And running through the story again should be more entertaining than farming gold FOEs and dragons all day.

spiritfox

Yeah, I did bring my Dancer up front while my Nightseeker was using throws from the back row. The Dancer is the only other class besides Sniper that can use a bow, so Dancers do have some use for the back row though.

Anyways, yeah, I found I took more damage than my casual playthrough. That's the main difference. The boss has an attack that nukes majorly when the hands pull up in front of the face. I didn't really prepare for that. I think you can stop that attack, which kills almost everybody, if you kill the hands.

If you can't take out the hands in that turn (you need to take out both hands), it's better to just defend. You'll reduce a lot of the damage, and that's the only attack she'll do that turn.

Now that I've gotten everyone to level 80, it's time to retire everyone, subclass them, reequip them and start New Game+ with a fresh team. Since my last one was big on defense with a Fortress and binding Sniper, I think I'll go for something with a more offensive approach, like:
  • I/N - elemental and non-elemental drives for big upfront damage,
  • N/I - status effects, plus charge gauntlets, plus a big drive promises to do monstrous damage
  • B/N - nonstop, nearly invincible upfront attacker without any warmup or cooldown times
  • R/I - wide-area damage, elemental protection and Imperial support
  • A/M - binding circles this time, Dismiss Heal/Blast and passive between-fights healing
Not sure if it's optimal or whether I'll be able to tackle the postgame boss with this setup either, but it seems like fun on paper at least. And running through the story again should be more entertaining than farming gold FOEs and dragons all day.

I am running a similar lineup for my postgame, but I am finding my defense lacking, especially in the 6th maze. It's doable, and you can kill things very fast, but you just have to be prepared for a unlucky dice roll taking down one of your guys. I like my XP bars to be even >.<

I switched out my NS for a Dancer for the support dances, which helped a lot.

It's amazing how many different parties there are, and they are all very viable. NG+ is pretty fun. Although, leveling up new recruits without doing a new game, might be just as fun...in another way.

tuffy

I am running a similar lineup for my postgame, but I am finding my defense lacking, especially in the 6th maze. It's doable, and you can kill things very fast, but you just have to be prepared for a unlucky dice roll taking down one of your guys. I like my XP bars to be even >.<

I switched out my NS for a Dancer for the support dances, which helped a lot.
Even with a Fortress/Dancer doing line refresh/party shield and a Sniper binding, I was still getting status-effected regularly in the 6th maze and my poison-focused Arcanist/Medic would have to come to the rescue (if possible). So this time around I'm going to have my Arcanist try binding circles to see if it'll shut them down any better. The extra points for retiring shouldn't hurt either.

Just in case you weren't using it, there's a food you can eat if you have the medic with the poison food skill... Rare plant from Land 4 that increases all status resistance.

Any tips for the final boss? I've managed to get it down to the "core" once but had run out of TP and I couldn't do enough damage to it before its head regened. Everyone in my party is around level 59, but I almost feel like I am underleveled.

tuffy

Just in case you weren't using it, there's a food you can eat if you have the medic with the poison food skill... Rare plant from Land 4 that increases all status resistance.
Using food more is another thing I should do on my second playthrough. It's like an easy reward for flying through the lands to the maze instead of just warping to the pole, but I kept forgetting about it.

aett

Are there any suggestions for ways to (somewhat) quickly gain levels in the postgame? I've beat the three elemental dragons and I've reached the end of the sixth maze but want to get stronger to fight the last couple of bosses. My characters are around level 70.

spiritfox

Any tips for the final boss? I've managed to get it down to the "core" once but had run out of TP and I couldn't do enough damage to it before its head regened. Everyone in my party is around level 59, but I almost feel like I am underleveled.

Bring Amaritas.

Are there any suggestions for ways to (somewhat) quickly gain levels in the postgame? I've beat the three elemental dragons and I've reached the end of the sixth maze but want to get stronger to fight the last couple of bosses. My characters are around level 70.

Fight the Dragons again I guess. You'll need to sleep a lot for that.

God hate the enemies in the 6th maze. Hollow + lion = death.

What's your party? If you're still having trouble, you might need to level up a bit and upgrade your gear.

tuffy

God hate the enemies in the 6th maze. Hollow + lion = death.
No kidding. Binding a lion's head shuts down their worst attack, but even making the attempt wakes them up - and then you're not binding Hollow legs instead. Almost as bad are those revenging blobs that'll grow to full strength and hit everyone with a big elemental attack when one of the enemies is killed. Head binding shuts them down too, but I've only got one Sniper.

That's part of the reason I'm switching to a binding Arcanist the second time around.

Ferrio

Banned
Anyone know which status effect of the NS throws has the highest chance of landing? Hate wasting so many turns trying to get a status to land.

Also, finally beat the king baboon. Was around lvl 35-36. Took quite a few tries to get some good random chance on my side.

scy

You don't use the best dancer design

DFC has never been my thing, tbh.

Dancer is awesome though so whatever~ Loved my Prince(ss) in EO3 as well.

Guess I need to invest in curse then.

In all honesty, I find Curse to just not be that useful of an effect in general so I rely on Poison for a high chance and then Sleep, Paralyze, or Blind basically equally. But I also have a Level 99 Nightseeker that was retired at 99 and have the points to spare.

I had a bit of success with nerve throw as well.

Do you know if Ailment boost from the Arc skills actually works for N throws?

I want to say Sleep is resisted less than Paralyze for some odd reason but I haven't really spammed skills on everything ;_;

And, yes, Ailment Boost works on Nightseeker throws. And Sniper Binds. And Weapon Forges.

Remember, it's a flat addition after LUC and TEC calculations and Resistances.

Yet another quest question... again, fourth land.

*tries to follow coordinates only to find the ping value going from 1, 2, and then to 0. Notices that it'll restart starting from point 1.*

spiritfox

Yet another quest question... again, fourth land.

*tries to follow coordinates only to find the ping value going from 1, 2, and then to 0. Notices that it'll restart starting from point 1.*

There are more than 3 points (7 in all IIRC). Try following the ridge and checking all the dead ends.

This is one of the more confusing quests.

scy

To be fair, the quest tells you that
you have two points and that's 25% of the way there
. It's still kind of awkwardly worded though.

But, yeah,
there's seven total points on the ridge (+ the mark itself, for eight total). Just start from the bottom and basically check every tile on the pathway there until you reach the end. Make sure to check the "dead-ends" as well

scy

One of these days, EO will include a "Rest for a fortnight" option.

And then all will be right in the world.

Until then, spam Sleeping at the Inn until I think it's been around 14 times.

tuffy

It it possible to beat FOEs with red auras around them on the map? Or do you always have to wait until it turns blue?
I'm pretty sure the aura colors are just based on the difference between your party's level and the FOE's. If it's red, you can try to beat them and might succeed if your party is setup and equipped well enough. But I wouldn't attempt it without a very recent save.

Top Bottom