• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

balddemon

Banned
On average, Glacier will do around 252% damage (3.5 AvgHits @ 72%/hit); Blizzard is 190%. It's basically 33% more damage so if you hit for ~1000, you'll do ~1300 with Glacier.

Tier 3 Fire, Tier 2 Ice, Tier 3 Volt are the best options for Elemental damage for boss killing. Tier 3 Ice is the best option for all-target Elemental damage but you could just get Origin Rune and just deal with the massive TP cost somehow.

huh. interesting. so how would this build work? how important are the weakness runes?
Code:
RuneMaster Build
Level:             90
Level Cap:         90
Total Points:      92
Available Points:   0
Retired: No

Main Class: RuneMaster
    Proficiency:     1/1
    Expertise:       1/1
    Enlightenment:   1/1
    Herbology:       0/1
    Wise Chef:       0/1
    Fire Rune:       1/6
    Ice Rune:        1/6
    Volt Rune:       1/6
    Fireball Rune:   2/10
    Ice Lance Rune:  2/10
    Lightning Rune:  2/10
    Runic Gleam:     2/6
    TP Boost:        8/8
    Flame Rune:      2/8
    Glacier Rune:    8/8
    Storm Rune:      2/8
    Runic Shield:    4/4
    Runic Guidance:  6/6
    Free Energy:     6/6
    Runic Flare:    10/10
    Inferno Rune:    8/8
    Blizzard Rune:   0/8
    Galvanic Rune:   8/8
    Rune Mastery:    8/8
    Origin Rune:     8/8

Sub Class: None

Generated by Etrian Odyssey 3 Skill Simulator
http://crazyuncleivans.com/eo4skillsim/EO4Skillsim.html

basically get all the passives, max origin, tier 3 lit and fire, and tier 2 ice. and still have 15 points left.

scy

huh. interesting. so how would this build work? how important are the weakness runes?

In terms of self-damage, Runic Gleam is a bigger buff. The base Runes are nice as maxing them out means those and the relevant Elemental Guard will give you full immunity to that Element (e.g., 6/6 Fire Rune + Fire Guard = 0% Fire Damage) while also increasing your damage overall (that is, 6/6 Rune and 3 Spell Casts of that Element is more damage than 4 Spell Casts of that element).

That said, I run an A/R still and just let her cover the Runes. I may change it but not sure yet. Dunno. We'll see, I guess.

/I is your most likely sub-class and it only takes 12 points to get all that you need from it so you're fine on points for that as well.

Welp, remind me to never use Squall Volley against
Bloody Knuckle
wantonly...

He lies in wait, I think, "Hmm, I wonder if he counters for one hit, or for all of them...?". Then I watch as he proceeds to Cross Counter my entire party to death.
It was quite amazing to watch, actually.

Proven

In terms of self-damage, Runic Gleam is a bigger buff. The base Runes are nice as maxing them out means those and the relevant Elemental Guard will give you full immunity to that Element (e.g., 6/6 Fire Rune + Fire Guard = 0% Fire Damage) while also increasing your damage overall (that is, 6/6 Rune and 3 Spell Casts of that Element is more damage than 4 Spell Casts of that element).

That said, I run an A/R still and just let her cover the Runes. I may change it but not sure yet. Dunno. We'll see, I guess.

/I is your most likely sub-class and it only takes 12 points to get all that you need from it so you're fine on points for that as well.

This is useful information. I can also see why having 2-3 Runemasters might be useful...

But I don't wanna.

I think I've said this before, but I really think EOIV is an improvement for the series. It felt like playing something very current and modern, with the same gameplay. The Imperial is kind of overpowered, that's the only balance issue. OK, I guess they have cooldowns to deal with so it's fair.

I think I've said this before, but I really think EOIV is an improvement for the series. It felt like playing something very current and modern, with the same gameplay. The Imperial is kind of overpowered, that's the only balance issue. OK, I guess they have cooldowns to deal with so it's fair.

Hehe, but it's all worth it, in my opinion - opening up EO to more people than ever.

If I were to rank the difficulty, for Casual mode, it'd be about normal to slightly easy by JRPG standards.

Also... Anyone got time for quests? The first appears in the fourth maze, while the second appears after finishing the fourth maze.

Do fairies exist?
*starts to wonder where he might have missed*

Innkeeper's dilemma

Funny how the game's pacing is just perfect for me.

I stopped playing for a week or 2 but popped it back in and beat the game. Aside from a few scares, i didnt have much trouble with the final boss. My party was 68/69. Didn't retire anyone either.

Time for some post game stuff then ill take a break.

This game is amazing.

I am about to clear 3rd dungeon. My party as stated before is land, dnc, ns, arc/med, and rune.

I am going to go land/arc, dnc/ns, ns/arc or bushi im leaning towards arc. I am not sure what do on my rune for sub or ns sub on my dnc, any suggestions. Atm I'm level 50 I know I'm over leveled but I'm not very good at this game and i don't do a lot of dmg.

Should I retire after i beat the 3rd dungeon?

redcrayon

Hehe, but it's all worth it, in my opinion - opening up EO to more people than ever.

If I were to rank the difficulty, for Casual mode, it'd be about normal to slightly easy by JRPG standards.

Also... Anyone got time for quests? The first appears in the fourth maze, while the second appears after finishing the fourth maze.

Do fairies exist?

Innkeeper's dilemma

Funny how the game's pacing is just perfect for me.

I've so looking forward to playing this! I've completed the first three, and always thought Etrian Odyssey's difficulty was just right, and having to judge when to cut and run back to town was part of it. Also, the bosses are telegraphed from a mile off, so I'd always make sure I had opened the shortcuts home first, go back to town and save. Then I'd dash back to the boss for a first look at it, and, if defeated, at least I knew what elemental/physical attacks it used and only then would I spend my cash to upgrade my gear and plan a strategy accordingly.

The minute I separated out 'exploration mode' and 'killing bosses/FOES' in my head, and tailoring the party for each, it made the game much more fun and also much easier as I strategised accordingly. Finishing mapping the ocean in EOIII was one of my highlights, a sidequest that netted me so much cool stuff and cash that I spent at least as much time on it fishing and sailing as in the dungeon!

big youth

just completed the first mission in the demo. loving the game so far

anything I should know early on? are the classes pretty even or is there one I should avoid?

spiritfox

Can you only have 3 buffs at a time per character? Or is that just a limitation of the UI showing what's on you?

Only 3 buffs max, both for you and the enemy. Also, it's the same for debuffs, 3 max for both you and the enemy.

I am about to clear 3rd dungeon. My party as stated before is land, dnc, ns, arc/med, and rune.

I am going to go land/arc, dnc/ns, ns/arc or bushi im leaning towards arc. I am not sure what do on my rune for sub or ns sub on my dnc, any suggestions. Atm I'm level 50 I know I'm over leveled but I'm not very good at this game and i don't do a lot of dmg.

Bushi is a good sub for Rune. You'll get it soon.

just completed the first mission in the demo. loving the game so far

anything I should know early on? are the classes pretty even or is there one I should avoid?

All the classes have their place, and you can go to the final story boss with most party combinations. A good balance is 3 damage dealers and 2 supports classes.

tuffy

So I've decided to take up a little dragon hunting mostly to bring my party's level up a bit. But I don't have a party that can bring them down in 2 rounds, so I still need some help from the RNG. Sometimes it doesn't quite work out like I'd expect.

My battle against the fire dragon was going pretty well. I'd gotten a head bind to land and used the Black Mist burst to keep it going while my Imperials blasted away at it and my Fortress covered its physical attacks. Its health bar was soon in the red and that's when it freed itself from the bind. So, of course, it decided to use a breath attack.

Everyone went down except my Sniper, who had no TP left (I'd used it all up trying to reapply that bind). The dragon's down to a sliver of health, my Sniper's down to double digits, and all I've got left are regular bow attacks. One more physical attack against me and it's all over. My bow attack hits and the dragon...uses its flame resistance debuff. Its health bar is about a pixel's width of red at this point. So I attack again. My bow hits, the dragon dies, and my Sniper gains 2 full levels.

Normally I like to keep my party within about a level of one another, but in this case I'll make an exception.

scy

Do fairies exist?

4th Land, 2nd Floor. D2 (2,2) at Night. If you get the milk bottle from Wynne, you can use it here to get an extra reward. Which is just an extra (purchasable) item. And not making Wynne sad

Innkeeper's dilemma

First is a food that makes one strong (anything with +STR, the Beasts from the 4th Land all give +STR); next is a food that makes one smart (anything with +TEC, the Birds from the 4th Land all give +TEC); finally is Death Mantis' favorite food which is Fish. Not sure if the Rare ones are needed but I went ahead and did that for these requests

vall03

4th Land, 2nd Floor. D2 (2,2) at Night. If you get the milk bottle from Wynne, you can use it here to get an extra reward. Which is just an extra (purchasable) item. And not making Wynne sad

Almost done with the 3rd Land, and Im gonna make sure that I do this quest right in my second playthrough. I feel bad failing this one...

spiritfox

I am guessing Im going to go down surge mastery tree for it. One other question how should i really spec my rune other than the typical passives. Which spells should I get? Like do I go for single target spells or aoe?

Yeah surge also increases your magical damage, and deep breath restores TP. Imperials are also good, but you only get them later.

For single target damage you would want to go multihit spells, and Galvanic Rune is the best. Generally you take electric and ice and max out both their multihit runes. Then max out the affinity runes to maximize their damage and to proc Runic Guidance.

Almost done with the 3rd Land, and Im gonna make sure that I do this quest right in my second playthrough. I feel bad failing this one...

Me too =(

scy

Why Landsknecht/Arcanist? If this is a Link Party (and it seems to be?), I'd say:

Landsknecht/Runemaster
Dancer/Nightseeker
Nightseeker/Arcanist or Nightseeker/Bushi

Arcanist/Medic
Runemaster/Bushi is basically your only offensive option pre Runemaster/Imperial (which is more TP conservation than damage, truthfully).

Alex

I'm a huge genre buff for dungeon crawls of all make and models, and EO4 is one of the best I've ever played, period. I have a lways have enjoyed EO but this was a surprising step up in most facets and comes together brilliantly. I've been a bit sour on the 3DS prior to this year but this game alone would entirely justify the platform on its own, for me, and has started off a very promising year most excellently. (I was a smidge disappointed with fire emblem)

Why Landsknecht/Arcanist? If this is a Link Party (and it seems to be?), I'd say:

Landsknecht/Runemaster
Dancer/Nightseeker
Nightseeker/Arcanist or Nightseeker/Bushi

Arcanist/Medic
Runemaster/Bushi is basically your only offensive option pre Runemaster/Imperial (which is more TP conservation than damage, truthfully).

I was tired i ment land/rune;p

balddemon

Banned

fantastic. I haven't really needed to make any changes to my party yet. another problem I'm finding though is that my only elemental damage comes from runemaster while landsknecht is my only physical damage. once nightseeker gets venom up, she can also do a shit ton of damage but before then she kinda sucks. subbing L with N and getting the dual wield skills helped a lot with that though.

also, scy, what is your avatar from? I've seen a bunch of them around the forums.

scy

Re-reading that quote makes me want to note one thing: If you're casting a spell on a neutral target (e.g., takes 100% Damage from Fire, Ice, and Volt), then the corresponding Elemental Rune is better than Runic Gleam because you'll be triggering a weakness suddenly so you'll gain Runic Guidance.

If the target is already weak to the element, Runic Gleam should win out.

I was tired i ment land/rune;p

Oh, well, in that case ... that's fine for the party :x It's got really high damage but it just takes awhile (since Vanguard -> Improved Link setup means you're doing nothing for a few turns). Once it starts going, the damage is really good.

I ran a similar party (back-row Fortress instead of the Runemaster) and had no issues so you should be fine for damage with the extra damage dealer in there :x

fantastic. I haven't really needed to make any changes to my party yet. another problem I'm finding though is that my only elemental damage comes from runemaster while landsknecht is my only physical damage. once nightseeker gets venom up, she can also do a shit ton of damage but before then she kinda sucks. subbing L with N and getting the dual wield skills helped a lot with that though.

Non-Link Landsknecht I guess? Lacking Physical Damage isn't that big of a deal, honestly. Off-hand, not many enemies in the game will resist Elements while being weak to Physical.

And, yeah, Nightseeker is fairly mediocre for damage until they (or an Arcanist does it, I guess) land a Status Effect. Once they do, however, they have the highest damage potential in the game so I guess it balances out.

also, scy, what is your avatar from? I've seen a bunch of them around the forums.

Mine in particular is Beatrice from Umineko no Naku Koro ni. The avatars as a whole were done by a MangaGAF poster (Neoriceisgood) for us because he's an awesome guy like that.

Anteo

I still have a lot to do actually, so I'll stick around. I want to take my main party to 99 and retire them, and then go to new game plus with a different party config. Maybe dancer, sniper and some others, idk

spiritfox

Nah I'm still working my way towards the post-game bosses. Luigi will have to wait!

Speaking of post-game bosses, where the hell is Golem? Man I feel that there's not enough post-game content to go through, especially since EO3 gave us so much with sea quests.

scy

Nah I'm still working my way towards the post-game bosses. Luigi will have to wait!

Speaking of post-game bosses, where the hell is Golem? Man I feel that there's not enough post-game content to go through, especially since EO3 gave us so much with sea quests.

Scylla, Golem, and Alraune were sacrificed to the great gods ;__;

I think the majority of the "missing content" feel for the post-game stuff is that
you don't have to go through dungeons to find the dragons. They're just kind of chilling around doing dragon things

balddemon

Banned
I'm currently debating whether or not to go on in the 4th land, since I hated the 4th maze from the moment
the guard robot saw me and I had to take it and the dog down.
screams of tedious to me.

Scy I think you recommended using Trick Samba with my Link Landsnark.

But the attacks caused by the Trick followup dont trigger links. :(

Also I know the common thing to do is sub Dancer with Nightseeker for link teams but that seems... like he'd die from any hit. Front lines and next to no defense?

Also the Bushi seems kinda.... useless. He has no good place on my link team. :/

Anteo

I'm currently debating whether or not to go on in the 4th land, since I hated the 4th maze from the moment
the guard robot saw me and I had to take it and the dog down.
screams of tedious to me.

Wait you took them down? I was wiped every time I tried, so I just evaded them. And that is the gimmick of this dugeon btw, You have to play around with the robots and the dog, though it should be possible to complete w/o fighting any of them (you will need to agro them later though)

balddemon

Banned
Wait you took them down? I was wiped every time I tried, so I just evaded them. And that is the gimmick of this dugeon btw, You have to play around with the robots and the dog, though it should be possible to complete w/o fighting any of them (you will need to agro them later though)

yeah I was lvl 42 when that happened. I don't think that's too OP, considering I finished the 3rd land at lvl 38. maybe I'm just bosser at this game than I think.

and yeah I know that's the gimmick, I think at the time I was just too tired to bother finding the right path to take lol. I'll figure it out eventually, and if I don't, someone will have a map in the next couple weeks :p

Ferrio

Banned
Only 3 buffs max, both for you and the enemy. Also, it's the same for debuffs, 3 max for both you and the enemy.

Gotta re-think my skill choices then :|.

Think I'll just have to be a lot more selective on skills on my subclasses, opt for more passives.

tuffy

It's like the game's own stealth segment. So naturally
if you attack the robot guard before it spots you, you can kill it without raising the alarm and having to fight the dogs.
Fortunately, there's plenty of shortcuts so one rarely has to deal with them more than once.

scy

Scy I think you recommended using Trick Samba with my Link Landsnark.

But the attacks caused by the Trick followup dont trigger links. :(

I recommend it not for the links to be triggered but because it'll cause more damage to have your Dancer attack and cause the other two to follow-up as opposed to having the Dancer follow-up via Chase Samba.

Also I know the common thing to do is sub Dancer with Nightseeker for link teams but that seems... like he'd die from any hit. Front lines and next to no defense?

They shouldn't be targeted very often and should Evade most things that do. Auto-Cloak helps too, though it's unreliable. I dunno, my Dancer is almost always the last to die whenever things get rough.

Also the Bushi seems kinda.... useless. He has no good place on my link team. :/

Bushi/Dancer or Bushi/Nightseeker is a very capable auto-attacker. That's basically their niche. An HP/TP gimmick with incredibly good self HP/TP sustain through regular attacks (or Deep Breath use).

I just killed them all ;_; Easy to sleep them so just Sleep and setup Links for the dogs (or delay the fight until the dog adds in so I can just one-round them with Links already setup).

ohlawd

I killed them all too. I could down them with minimal damage done to my team.

I welcomed the robot guards and their dog posse. I was like "awww yeah easy exp"

Boogiepop

I killed them all too. I could down them with minimal damage done to my team.

I welcomed the robot guards and their dog posse. I was like "awww yeah easy exp"

Yeah, but then there were the few times I tried that and it backfired because
you need the guards to go on alert and move the dogs away from some doors
. And then I had to go back in and out of the dungeon. Same thing with the
bears when you go back in the fifth maze
. So yeah, maximum aggression doesn't ALWAYS pan out.

tuffy

I could never land sleep on them =/ plus my party is not a link pary so...
Poison wasn't much good either, not surprisingly. I just avoided them the first time through and only came back later to finish my maps long after they stopped being a threat.

I kinda like that part (4th Maze). I think for the most part they are weak to an element. It helped that I already had an Imperial in my party. On B3F with Logre they are even easier. It's not that hard to avoid them - you only have to fight them in one or two spots. It helps if you make a good maps, so you know where the walls are.

Top Bottom