• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Roubjon

Go to the Miasma Forest. The map itself is a puzzle of a sorts and your goal is the mining node at A2.

Wow, seriously? The way they mentioned getting that ship upgrade caused me not explore the Miasma Forest completely, thinking I needed to do something else before hand. Thanks.

tuffy

It's like 50k XP even before you figure in any Flame Crystals or other XP++ foods.

I just have trouble getting 3 golden stinkhorns in the map to turn all of them golden.

The rare plants and extra plants ship upgrades help a lot for getting gold stinkhorns.

But getting a golden dinogator to spawn is even better than the sheep. My solo Imperial took one down with a single charged shot and it worked out to ~70k XP with the Holy Gift burst. I shot up two full levels instantly.

BearChair

...What the hell is an uncanny sensation anyway??

Man this floor is really messing with my "must walk every single tile" mentality.

You'll kill yourself if you do. Here's a hint if you want it
the poison floors in the previous room equal the safe floors in those rooms. This is true for all of B2.

So my normal replay New Game+ is going OK. I kind of wish I didn't have to restart from the beginning and collect all the bursts and hammers. I will have to do all of the quests again too. I'm worried I might miss something!

I was grinding those Gold Dream Eaters when I actually needed the XP for my team to beat the Hollow Queen. When I grinded up to ~lvl 30+, it might the fight very easy. My N killed it.

I am playing with a Nightseeker, Landsknecht, Imperial (this is the advantage of NG+), Dancer (with a Bow in the Back Row), and Sniper.

ohlawd

Does anyone know how you get to the back half of the 3rd floor of the 6th maze without fighting the boss? I'm just straight up lost, so a map/advice would be super helpful. Thanks.
there's a temperature control thing that can get rid of the ice walls which block the 2nd half of that floor. The temp. controller can be found in the same room as the Moth Lords but to get there, you first have to enter it through the dark room on the right hand side.

Just unlocked Imperials, now I need to do the replacing game again. Planning on subbing Bushi onto imperial so that I can get maximum numbers. But I'm not sure which party member to replace. My current line up is L/R F/D D/N, A/M R/M (also thinking of changing rune's sub to imperial for better tp regen and other goodies). I've been thinking of ditching the fortress since her damage hasn't been all that amazing, but I'm a bit concerned that the damage I would start taking without a tank.

Normal game grinding - Better farm these shiny Sheep / Mantises!
Post-game grinding - Better farm these motherfucking Dragons!

Icy Pincers (3rd Land) are usable as well every three days. Happiness Hares for making them Rare. Or, as said above, Dragons and other post-game bosses!

Yeah, I'm wondering about this myself. I was grinding shiny sheep, and when I hit Maze 3 and found that the Plated Turtles don't give much exp.

I'm going to try to use Happiness Hares on the Icy Pincers.

I'm wondering about the Dinogator style foes. There must be something that makes them shiny too.

scy

Just unlocked Imperials, now I need to do the replacing game again. Planning on subbing Bushi onto imperial so that I can get maximum numbers. But I'm not sure which party member to replace. My current line up is L/R F/D D/N, A/M R/M (also thinking of changing rune's sub to imperial for better tp regen and other goodies). I've been thinking of ditching the fortress since her damage hasn't been all that amazing, but I'm a bit concerned that the damage I would start taking without a tank.

You're fine without the Fortress. It's really not that big of a deal for the most part when you reach the end-game. It's less safe, sure, but you can work around it with Burst skills and just flat out killing things faster.

Yeah, I'm wondering about this myself. I was grinding shiny sheep, and when I hit Maze 3 and found that the Plated Turtles don't give much exp.

I'm going to try to use Happiness Hares on the Icy Pincers.

I'm wondering about the Dinogator style foes. There must be something that makes them shiny too.

Golden Goose so it's not all that convenient.

Boogiepop

there's a temperature control thing that can get rid of the ice walls which block the 2nd half of that floor. The temp. controller can be found in the same room as the Moth Lords but to get there, you first have to enter it through the dark room on the right hand side.

Oh wow, I didn't even think of that. Already found it and turned it on, but I guess I must've been paying too much attention to my map screen instead of the actual top screen. Whoops. Thank you so much!

I really like the music in this game. I think I might try out hooking up my 3DS to my laptop's auxiliary input and try to play through some real speakers somewhere by using it's headphones jack... after pre-processing the audio.

Should I expect awesome?

I really like the music in this game. I think I might try out hooking up my 3DS to my laptop's auxiliary input and try to play through some real speakers somewhere by using it's headphones jack... after pre-processing the audio.

Should I expect awesome?
The music is awesome no matter what, though I don't know what effects post will have.

My current favorite tune is the one used for event battles (Unrest - The End of Raging Winds) - it gets me pretty hyped up whenever it plays.

I'm currently still floating around in the 3rd land, thinking of doing some more training before taking on the big boss. This subclassing thing has so many possibilities... also, I'm having trouble throwing away healing items, so I can only collect 30 or so items on each outing ._.

Boogiepop

Any tips on
Fallen One/Warped Savior
? My team is level 76 and I've beaten most other things in the game, but I can't quite deal with either of them. Trying to decide if I should find a grinding spot, or if I should rest/retire for a new team. Currently running a team of (probably not that maximized) L/R N/A D/A R/M M/A.

Edit: Also, what's a good grinding spot at this point anyway?

Just got
Imperials

I'm trying to decide what's a good person to resub here. I still think I'm not doing physical damage right.

I have F/D, L/B, D/N | S/A, M/A

F/D, S/A I'm really happy with. Good defense/draws on the former with not bad evasive boosts. The latter is basically just for binds and immediate follow ups, and can stay TP neutral if I focus on arm/leg binds.

I'm not sure if M/A is ideal, though. Tonnes of healing there, but half the time I find her defending after setting up a poison circle and letting the regen take most of the healing out of the equation. Should I reclass into A/M and then focus on circles, and only drop into the healing --> heal mastery line and a couple points into refresh/revive?

D/N seems good for chases and party synergy, but I should probably be using the N subclass for something more than the speed boost and dual wield. Will the skill that lets you trigger weapon skills work on dances? Or no?

And L/B I think I've got all wrong. I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle links with this team but I think I've fucked it up. The general idea is Vanguard --> Link attack while having the two link improvement skills up, right? As far as general utility or striking power goes, would it be best to do L/B, L/I, or some combination of I & B? I/L seems like it can still link and also do the
drive
madness.

Chorazin

Ok, how in the hell do I handle the first maze boss?

It says I need to separate the Bloodbears from the main dude but I'm getting frustrated trying to figure out how exactly I'm supposed to do this.

Ok, how in the hell do I handle the first maze boss?

It says I need to separate the Bloodbears from the main dude but I'm getting frustrated trying to figure out how exactly I'm supposed to do this.
There's a passage that takes you behind the boss. I think it's on the right wing after entering.

About to retire a few characters, and I'm thinking of replacing my Nightseeker with a Bushi. My medic is subbclassed with an Arcanist, partially to help set the NS up for more damage, but usually my NS's best redeeming value is his really high speed. I guess I can always retire again if I really can't get used to the Bushi.

Overall I'm having a blast with this. Looking forward to picking up 3 at some point, since it sounds like most people have no problem going back to that one.

spiritfox

lol red lion.

I binded the arms. Turns out I was wrong. Very wrong... Luckily my Bushi managed to survive 2 hits to kill it. Would have lost half a floor if I died there.

Sleepy

How do you beat
Queen Hollow? I am at level 25-6 for most of my party and I am binding, poisoning, etc. but I keep getting crushed. Any tricks?

How do you beat
Queen Hollow? I am at level 25-6 for most of my party and I am binding, poisoning, etc. but I keep getting crushed. Any tricks?

Oh dude...Just level up a bit and you will crush it. I would recommend going to Land 2, and picking up Plants for the rare Gold Stinkhorn. Then you toss it to the Dream Eaters and they turn shiny. Then you can kill them for massive XP.

I leveled up to like level 30+ and the Hollow Queen was very easy.

It's not about how many status ailments you can do, it just depends on level, gear, possibly using the right buffs and debuffs, and doing enough damage.

Good luck!

demonkaze

Just picked this up and i'm looking for some advice. This is not my first dungeon crawler but it is my first etrian odyssey and i'm wondering what is a good setup for a first timer and some general advice, things to do, things not to do.

Looking at all the possibilities at first glance seems very overwhelming.

Just picked this up and i'm looking for some advice. This is not my first dungeon crawler but it is my first etrian odyssey and i'm wondering what is a good setup for a first timer and some general advice, things to do, things not to do.

Don't worry, this is a very big improvement from earlier games in the series. It's very straight forward and you probably will be able to figure out what to do in the beginning.

Are you having trouble choosing your first party??

I would recommend to at least have a Landsknecht (elemental Links for damage and targeting weakness) in front. Then if you want, I liked having a Dancer and Sniper in the backrow. Equipping them with bows, they do full damage and you can use auto-attack for random battles. A Runemaster, Fortress, Medic, and Nightseeker are all optional. That's just one way though.

spiritfox

How do you beat

First of all, use the Black Mist Burst. It'll help to keep the binds on longer, making her easier. Secondly, try to keep one of her guard alive, because she will summon some mages if you kill them both, and those guys are more annoying plus you now get the full power of her AOE physical attack. If you have an NS blinding is also a good way to lower her evade and make her miss her attacks. If all else fails, go level a bit. You should be at least the same level as the guest character to fight her, although it's possible at your level, you just need a good strategy and party setup.

Go for a standard party build: a tank, a healer, and some DPS. Always carry Ariadne Threads, those can save your life when you are trapped with no way out. Don't challenge the FOEs (the big guys visible in the maze) when you first meet them, wait until their aura is blue (or yellow if you want to test your luck). Always sell all your materials unless needed for quests. They are your main money source and unlocks better equips. And just try things out. If you don't like it, you can always adjust your skills by resting, which resets your skill points for 2 levels.

Oh and status effects are actually very useful in this game. Don't neglect them.

Sleepy

Oh dude...Just level up a bit and you will crush it.

Thanks. Thought I was doing something wrong, even after I got help from the bar.

First of all, use the Black Mist Burst. It'll help to keep the binds on longer, making her easier. Secondly, try to keep one of her guard alive, because she will summon some mages if you kill them both, and those guys are more annoying plus you now get the full power of her AOE physical attack. If you have an NS blinding is also a good way to lower her evade and make her miss her attack. If all else fails, go level a bit. You should be at least the same level as the guest character to fight her, although it's possible at your level, you just need a good strategy and party setup.

Gotcha! Thanks.

demonkaze

Thanks for the help, looking forward to sinking some time into this later. My main problem was with my first party and what kind of builds to go for, worried about building my characters wrong. Are dancers considered better than medics?

Thanks for the help, looking forward to sinking some time into this later. My main problem was with my first party and what kind of builds to go for, worried about building my characters wrong. Are dancers considered better than medics?

I think it's personal preference. I didn't even use a D or M much in my first playthrough on casual difficulty. I mostly relied on an Arcanist (which is only unlocked after Maze 2).

Anyway this time I used a Dancer. They can switch rows to heal. You can also use healing items.

I think there are some accessories in the store that you can get right away, and STR will help melee characters, while TEC will help spellcasters (if you're using a Runemaster, for example).

It's a good game and it's quite well balanced. EOIII gave me a lot of wtf moments, but EOIV has a very smooth difficulty curve, and rewards even slight improvements like one or two levels, better gear, or spending more skill points.

spiritfox

Dancers have more utility outside of healing compared to Medics, but their main source of healing (Regen Waltz) only heals at the end of the turn. Medics are much better at healing and they have the only revive skill in the game (you also can use nectars, which are easy to get but takes up space in your bag), but they can't really do much outside of healing. I recommend you go Medic if you are new to the game.

Keep in mind that you can eventually sub-class (which gives you access to the skills of another class), and that you can get a Healing Wand via a Treasure Map which gives the wielder access to a low level heal, which should be enough for the first few levels.

It's a good game and it's quite well balanced. EOIII gave me a lot of wtf moments, but EOIV has a very smooth difficulty curve, and rewards even slight improvements like one or two levels, better gear, or spending more skill points.

Oh EO3 was so much smoother compared to the 1st 2. No real brickwall bosses (Scylla I'm looking at you), shorter strata, no crazy map design (solo shortcuts and B27F), and Farmers are basically made for... well, farming.

Totakeke

I'm losing my motivation to defeat the final two post-game bosses. Not that I've banged my head on it, but it just doesn't feel that the trouble is worth it. Someone tell me there's something super awesome for beating those two.

I'm losing my motivation to defeat the final two post-game bosses. Not that I've banged my head on it, but it just doesn't feel that the trouble is worth it. Someone tell me there's something super awesome for beating those two.

Well, Fallen One is weak to insta kill, so you can try to assassinate it or using death/petrify weapons. If his head is bound you get a drop for an awesome Imperial weapon.

Beating the 6th maze boss gives you some good weapons and a ring from the court... But I mean all this stuff is optional. Depends if you're still having fun with it.

I did it on casual difficulty...my whole first playthrough...and now I'm doing NG+ on Normal...so I haven't gotten there yet. You could always switch to casual to make the fights easier.

Because of the monsters or the maze itself??

I liked the 6 maze, but I haven't got there on normal yet...

The maze itself. The monsters are kind of obnoxious too (hollow + red lion = 1000 damage to all lol) but it's the extreme trial and error of those dark rooms that grind the progression down to almost nothing.

Althane

I have just unlocked subclasses, and I am wondering what good synergies there are. I am thinking either N/A for ailment boosts or N/D for sword dancing. Not sure what goes with L or F though. A/M sounds good for revives. A is amazing for entering every battle healed. Needs more points in her binds though.

Which leaves me with my Runie. She's pretty good, but no idea what to class her with.

spiritfox

I have just unlocked subclasses, and I am wondering what good synergies there are. I am thinking either N/A for ailment boosts or N/D for sword dancing. Not sure what goes with L or F though. A/M sounds good for revives. A is amazing for entering every battle healed. Needs more points in her binds though.

Which leaves me with my Runie. She's pretty good, but no idea what to class her with.

L: R for Links, B for others. I also works for links, but you only get that later.

F: D. Best tank in the game.

R: B for Surge (which boosts her damage too) and Deep Breath TP recovery. Roar is also boosted with R skills and Endure is just good.

Sleepy

I haven't got to subclasses yet, but I think having a healer/dancer and a nightseeker/sniper may be good ways to go. I could be wrong, but in my current party L/F; N/R/M, I seem to miss the dancer/sniper. And before I get dogpiled for having a N in the back, he is still grinding up the levels, once he hits 20 I will move him to the front.

Top Bottom