• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Beat the final boss! Was down to the wire but my dancer pulled out 3 stuns on the core in a row and saved the party.

Did the first set of dragon quests though I should probably finish leveling to 70 before fighting them. Also, entering the 6th labyrinth is a really cool moment. Super excited to get to exploring it.

Ferrio

Banned

Doh.

Well... okay doing that after bushi.

I actually feel bad retiring my voiceless, total lack of any character characters. That's odd.

Don't think I'll change my classes too much, maybe my subs.

Think I'll go

For/Land
Night/Dance
Dance/Bushi
Rune/Arc
Medic/Arc

tuffy

I actually feel bad retiring my voiceless, total lack of any character characters. That's odd.
They may not have any lines or backstories, but they're still my babies. I named them, put portraits on them, equipped them, decided their skills and spent a lot of time together tackling those dungeons. So I didn't have an easy time retiring my whole team for a new game run either, which is why I brought some familiar names/faces back a second time around where I could.

Ferrio

Banned
Hrm, I'd only gain like 5 skill points... which actually is a good amount.. but I really don't wanna grind again.

Maybe I'll keep them for now... I'll think on this.

tuffy

Building a proper Runemaster/Imperial for the first time has been an eye-opening experience after sitting down and running the numbers. Take a skill like Flame Rune whose damage starts at 100% with 1 point invested up to 143% with 8 points invested. Obviously putting 8 points in it does more damage than 1. But if you leave it at 1 point and invest 10 points in Runic Flare (25% boost to elemental damage), 8 points in Rune Mastery (24% boost to Rune damage) and 4 points in Imperial's Element Boost (15% boost to elemental damage) you'll wind up with a 78% boost to all the Rune damage skills which is a much better deal than increasing the skills themselves (which also increases their TP costs). That's before using the Fire/Ice/Volt Runes to increase the effectiveness of the whole line even more.

So it seems like it's much more efficient to distribute points among the passive damage boosters first and only bother putting more than a point or two in the Runes themselves much later.

tuffy

I just started a New Game+ run yesterday so it's hard to get a feel for how the party's really going to work since I've only re-cleared the first maze. I've got an I/N N/I B/N upfront (which is a whole lot of Nightseeker, I'll admit) and enemies still just evaporate when I hit the auto-battle button. So I don't think I'll really see how they work together - or how squishy they are - until I hit the 3rd maze and the monsters start catching up to my party.

tuffy

Exactly. I retired them down to 30, subclassed, let them keep the 6th maze gear and fired off the New Game+ button. I expected the early going would be pretty fast with that setup, but I did erase my old maps just because I kindof enjoy drawing them (and it's surprising how many little details you forget when they're not sitting around on the bottom screen). I'd like to see if this group fares better against postgame stuff and didn't want to take too long to get there.

So how do I use the scrolls (or whatever they are) in my Key Items? They say they teach me certain skills, but it's not letting me use them. Will I meet a character later that will let me?

I'm at the Miasma Forest for the first time and still haven't
upgraded my ship's ability to fly higher.

Ferrio

Banned
So how do I use the scrolls (or whatever they are) in my Key Items? They say they teach me certain skills, but it's not letting me use them. Will I meet a character later that will let me?

I'm at the Miasma Forest for the first time and still haven't
upgraded my ship's ability to fly higher.

They're your burst skills.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'm feeling really directionless after opening up the second land and clearing the Miasma Garden and not seeing a way to move forward...my only unsolved quest is looking for something in B3 of the first dungeon but I don't have the key to a chest there...is that my holdup?

Makonero

Just beat the final boss! It took far too long, I actually had to grind a bit to get some Amritas. Thankfully, one of the QR quests gave me some and I was able to farm some from the Echoing Library. Still, it took forever, and I had two of my characters dead by the time I landed the final blow. Whew. Now for the postgame content!

They're your burst skills.

Ah, thanks!

I'm feeling really directionless after opening up the second land and clearing the Miasma Garden and not seeing a way to move forward...my only unsolved quest is looking for something in B3 of the first dungeon but I don't have the key to a chest there...is that my holdup?

You can actually navigate through the Miasma Garden to find what you need. Just don't stay in the main room in the middle for more than 10 steps.

Anteo

Nope, you need to find a way to make your ship go higher.
The games tell you something about that.

You need a mineral that produces lighter gases than you current one. Basically you need to mine some new rare mineral.

Now the question is where.. Well there is that one cave that you unlocked on the second land.

Kuramu

I can't figure out what to do with these scrolls I keep getting, like "Zoologics" or "Spell: Flame Wall"

Neither Use nor discard are options and none of these things are showing up as skiils or spells.

I can't figure out what to do with these scrolls I keep getting, like "Zoologics" or "Spell: Flame Wall"

Neither Use nor discard are options and none of these things are showing up as skiils or spells.

They're your Burst skills (aka SUPER MOVES)! Hit Custom in your menu to set and change them.

balddemon

Banned
having a little trouble with a quest

Its called skyship materials I am not sure were to get the items in the echoing Library
If it's what I'm thinkin of, it's the chop points. Don't have my 3ds with me so I can't tell you where to go but I know they are b1f of the library. You need a Yggdrasil trunk, the rare material.

It seems like retiring at 99 is the best way to maximize stats, right? Pookas are just so fleeting.

Having fun messing around with dragons.

scy

To add to that, Pookas will chase any food so you can also toss food at them to distract them.

Besides that, they have a set spawn mechanic so you can just walk around a lot, go to town, check each Overland map to see which one spawned, kill it, rinse, repeat.

vall03

To add to that, Pookas will chase any food so you can also toss food at them to distract them.

Besides that, they have a set spawn mechanic so you can just walk around a lot, go to town, check each Overland map to see which one spawned, kill it, rinse, repeat.

wtf! I've been chasing Pookas the wrong way then... I thought they would only chase Plant foods.

Pyrokai

I'm seriously so close to pulling the trigger on this. I have never played an Etrian Odyssey game though......which one should I start with? I hope this hasn't been asked a million times. The reprint for the older games really has me tempted to purchase, like, all of these but I don't even know if I'll like them.

What would GAF do?

Hela

Not really on topic, but EO4 has gotten my attention to the series, but I could only play the DS ones, which one should I try?

KarmaCow

So I was reading up on skills because I was stuck on the final story boss and found out that Elemental forges don't boost Link damage? I've been avoiding the physical boosting skills in favour of elemental boosting ones on my Landsnkecht, so have I just wasted a bunch of points then? I'm tempted to rest my party but I feel I'm already pretty low level, relying on food to keep my HP above the damage threshold of the boss so I want to be sure before committing something like that.

Anteo

So I was reading up on skills because I was stuck on the final story boss and found out that Elemental forges don't boost Link damage? I've been avoiding the physical boosting skills in favour of elemental boosting ones on my Landsnkecht, so have I just wasted a bunch of points then? I'm tempted to rest my party but I feel I'm already pretty low level, relying on food to keep my HP above the damage threshold of the boss so I want to be sure before committing something like that.

Elemental forges add elemental damage to your normal attacks, what you want is ATK and MAG on your swords to increase the damage.

spiritfox

I'm seriously so close to pulling the trigger on this. I have never played an Etrian Odyssey game though......which one should I start with? I hope this hasn't been asked a million times. The reprint for the older games really has me tempted to purchase, like, all of these but I don't even know if I'll like them.

What would GAF do?

You can just start with this game. There's no connecting storyline and this game is designed to be friendlier to new players. It's also the best balanced of the games.

Elemental forges as in the fire/ice/elec ones or the ELM ones? Because the ELM forges should add to your elemental attacks.

KarmaCow

Yea whoops, I meant the elm forge instead of picking the atk forge. So it does boost Link damage? Hmm well I guess I need a better strategy.

zashga

What would GAF do?

Just start with 4. You don't need to play the previous games to "get" this one; the stories are almost completely disconnected. Plus, they keep making nice incremental improvements with each installment, so the most recent one tends to be the best overall game.

EO2 and 3 are great games I'd fully recommend, too. Only go for EO1 if you know what you're getting yourself into.

BearChair

It's late, and I really need a hint for this game. Maze 6-3:

Can someone tell me the correct/best mix of canisters before opening the door to the insect?
. I'm pretty sure that I have the entire floor other than the last room mapped.

scy

@Forges - While what everyone is saying is correct on how Elemental, ATK, and ELM Forges function normally, it's worth noting that Links don't work with ELM for some reason. They benefit from Elemental passives and debuffs as you'd expect but the ELM Forges are just an odd exception.

Top Bottom