• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

friz898

I guess I'm picking this up today. Finally got to it on my wish list after FE and Witcher 2.

I suppose I need to read up on the classes.

I'm the kind of guy who automatically plays the easiest difficulty of any game now because dying and replaying anything has zero appeal to me. I wish I would have used a harder difficulty on FE though, because unlike FF Tactics, FE was not 'naturally' challenging.

So anybody care to comment on the causal vs normal debate?

I would start with casual. I did. This is probably the easiest Etrian game though, and Normal is good too. I just did a bit more grinding on normal, and I only noticed the difference in difficulty at bosses. If you're interested in playing through the post game too, (additional maze and bosses after the credits roll), then I would definitely recommend casual first - so you don't get frustrated, since you said you don't like restarting. EO bosses can be very challenging, or require very specific gear, and that kind of thing.

friz898

I would start with casual. This is probably the easiest Etrian game though, and Normal is good too. I just did a bit more grinding on normal, and I only noticed the difference in difficulty at bosses. If you're interested in playing through the post game too, (additional maze and bosses after the credits roll), then I would definitely recommend casual first - so you don't get frustrated, since you said you don't like restarting. EO bosses can be very challenging, or require very specific gear, and that kind of thing.

Thanks!

tuffy

It's also worth mentioning that the difficulty can be toggled anytime you're in town. So if casual mode isn't enough of a challenge, it's easy to switch back to normal. Or the reverse if normal is too rough. You're not locked to one or the other for the whole playthrough.

Anybody else still playing this? I haven't played yet today, but I am going to test out some passives and see if they work together. Going to try L/I. Not to use drives...although the possibility of Vanguard + Drive might be a good idea.

Both power and element boost increase link damage [I tree]. /I could be a good choice for a link L.

scy

I'm still playing here and there. I actually haven't finished everything I wanted to do in the game (in addition to just testing things).

Yeah, me neither. I hope to find reasons to keep playing for awhile.

It's really amazing that FE is so much more popular.

Etrian is a quality rpg.

I'm posting from my 3ds with the game running in the background. probably won't do this again but my laptop is o.o.batteries and i dont have wifi at home. :[

Ferrio

Banned
I guess I'm picking this up today. Finally got to it on my wish list after FE and Witcher 2.

I suppose I need to read up on the classes.

I'm the kind of guy who automatically plays the easiest difficulty of any game now because dying and replaying anything has zero appeal to me. I wish I would have used a harder difficulty on FE though, because unlike FF Tactics, FE was not 'naturally' challenging.

So anybody care to comment on the causal vs normal debate?

If it's any help, this is my first EO game and I'm on normal and having no real difficulty. I die here and there, but it's deserved deaths. Also you can toggle the difficulty at anytime.

That said my new team is ass kicking powerful.

For/Land
Night/Dance
Dance/Bushi
Rune/Medic
Medic/Arc

The combination of the fortress laying down a fire link + both my nightseeker and dancer playing off of each other is crazy. Not to mention the nightseeker hitting 2 shadow bites per round is nasssty. The only person I don't like subclassed right now is my runemaster.. but I can't think of anything else to put under her. I did arcanist first, until i realized you can only have one zone per fight... lame. So she's just a medic for the patch-up and occasional revive.

spiritfox

If it's any help, this is my first EO game and I'm on normal and having no real difficulty. I die here and there, but it's deserved deaths. Also you can toggle the difficulty at anytime.

That said my new team is ass kicking powerful.

For/Land
Night/Dance
Dance/Bushi
Rune/Medic
Medic/Arc

The combination of the fortress laying down a fire link + both my nightseeker and dancer playing off of each other is crazy. Not to mention the nightseeker hitting 2 shadow bites per round is nasssty. The only person I don't like subclassed right now is my runemaster.. but I can't think of anything else to put under her. I did arcanist first, until i realized you can only have one zone per fight... lame. So she's just a medic for the patch-up and occasional revive.

Are you laying down elemental runes with your R? And get either B or I as an R sub, they both increase her damage and gives her a way to recover TP.

Ferrio

Banned
Are you laying down elemental runes with your R? And get either B or I as an R sub, they both increase her damage and gives her a way to recover TP.

Not laying down runes, but I guess I should for fire for the links.

TP isn't really an issue though, I spam origin rune and between the amount of TP I have and free energy skill... she takes awhile to run out.

Clunker

Anybody else still playing this? I haven't played yet today, but I am going to test out some passives and see if they work together. Going to try L/I. Not to use drives...although the possibility of Vanguard + Drive might be a good idea.

Both power and element boost increase link damage [I tree]. /I could be a good choice for a link L.

I've been a silent partner for a long time; work is draining me, so EO has been sustaining me in small isolated sips for the past two weeks. Pretty much the sole reason I bought my 3DS was for EO and Fire Emblem, and quite honestly FE has sat unplayed ever since I picked up EO.

I just unlocked the subclasses today, and now am overwhelmed with possibilities. I'm loving how flexible/pliant EO4 is with its reduced penalties for resting, so I don't mind experimenting, but I honestly hadn't thought much about subclasses yet so I'm not sure how to roll.

My current party is L D N / S A. Definitely thinking A/M, but not 100 percent sure where to go next. My S is my main binder, the N and A are primed for status effects, and my L is link-focused. The tail end of the second labyrinth was where my whole link/chase/sword dance synergy started to really click, and I began steamrolling FOEs left and right. I love this shit so much. From what I've heard of the Bushi, it sounds like I definitely want to incorporate one into my party, so I'll have to rethink my whole setup anyway, but any general suggestions for subclass ideas would be greatly appreciated. :)

Soulhouf

When should I retire my crew?
I remember in the 1st game the later you do it, the more bonus you get.
I'm approaching lv40 right now at the end of the 3rd land.

Soulhouf

Yeah there's like 1 point stat bonus every 10 levels. I don't think it's ever considered necessary, but the best bonus is at lv99...

What? You can go to lv99 in this game?
Holy shit.
Okay, so I won't bother with retirement...

Unless there are some over powered optional bosses Primevil style of course.

Anteo

What? You can go to lv99 in this game?
Holy shit.
Okay, so I won't bother with retirement...

Unless there are some over powered optional bosses Primevil style of course.

There are some.. requirements to go to level 99. The level cap is 70 at first.

The post game is just difficult enough that you might want the edge a retired 99 gives you... I'm going to be retiring mine and lvlng them back up once they're all 99.

The regular enemies are hitting harder than FOEs!

Anteo

The post game is just difficult enough that you might want the edge a retired 99 gives you... I'm going to be retiring mine and lvlng them back up once they're all 99.

The regular enemies are hitting harder than FOEs!

That's my plan too. Currently at lvl 89

Just got myself to the 3rd dungeon and my party is nearing level 40 ...

Does that mean I'm a bad player ? :p

I was having trouble until I noticed a turtle spinning on the floor.

That's my plan too. Currently at lvl 89

Cool. Are you grinding the Dragons and/or the 3rd and 4th land FOEs? I find they both work fairly well...The FOEs are easier, and they give decent exp. I want to make a team that can run through the Dragons in one go. I guess if I ate the food near the Dragons and took enough Imperials I could do it.

Man, my Nightseeker needs to step it up. Also, my Landsknecht was a bit lacking without a Sniper for Eagle Eye...although I do usually use my Sniper all the time. That's why I already have 2 snipers sitting at lvl 99. Their stats cap out 70s/80s though so there's plenty of room for improvement when I retire them.

Fire Lizard wins the prize for most fucking deceptive health bar ever. I get it down to a mere sliver of health and then get fucked by the fire wall bullshit.

KarmaCow

Ugh I'm at a roadblock with the final story boss. My party is level 54

I/R L/I D/M
R/A S/A

The general strategy is spend the first few turns buffing/debuffing for the eventual Freezing Link and Glacier Spam.

I've tried killing the arms and bum rushing the body, but then it does the prayer attack and kills everyone. I don't have the dps to kill an arm in a turn. It requires prep work/debuffing to get the damage I need.

I've tried killing one arm and keeping the other one low but then the body takes half damage and I can't win the battle of attrition. Eventually, a person dies or gets bound and it all starts to fall apart.

I've done significantly better with the first strat thanks to some lucky binds but once the initial binds wear off (if they ever hit), it's pretty much over.

Side question, does +hit boost the chance a bind will hit or is that only governed by Luck?

Anteo

Cool. Are you grinding the Dragons and/or the 3rd and 4th land FOEs? I find they both work fairly well...The FOEs are easier, and they give decent exp. I want to make a team that can run through the Dragons in one go. I guess if I ate the food near the Dragons and took enough Imperials I could do it.

Man, my Nightseeker needs to step it up. Also, my Landsknecht was a bit lacking without a Sniper for Eagle Eye...although I do usually use my Sniper all the time. That's why I already have 2 snipers sitting at lvl 99. Their stats cap out 70s/80s though so there's plenty of room for improvement when I retire them.

Grinding dragons, the extra exp burst + red dragon overworld drop gives me alot of exp. My fortress does a good job at tanking that fire damage, I do use elemental charms to help her and the rest of the party. The NS does the highest damage of my party, follow trace is too good.

Fire Lizard wins the prize for most fucking deceptive health bar ever. I get it down to a mere sliver of health and then get fucked by the fire wall bullshit.

Are you taking down his scales in battle? Also try to get some Fire Charms and destroy the huge scale in his room if you haven't.

I/R L/I D/M
R/A S/A

The general strategy is spend the first few turns buffing/debuffing for the eventual Freezing Link and Glacier Spam.

I've tried killing the arms and bum rushing the body, but then it does the prayer attack and kills everyone. I don't have the dps to kill an arm in a turn. It requires prep work/debuffing to get the damage I need.

I've tried killing one arm and keeping the other one low but then the body takes half damage and I can't win the battle of attrition. Eventually, a person dies or gets bound and it all starts to fall apart.

I've done significantly better with the first strat thanks to some lucky binds but once the initial binds wear off (if they ever hit), it's pretty much over.

Side question, does +hit boost the chance a bind will hit or is that only governed by Luck?

This is a good time to go back to the 5th maze and start killing FOEs left and right. You may get new equips from that, and some nice levels to help you. About your question, never tried so idk sorry. Remember to use black mist burst when you land a status.

I think +hit bonus strictly affects accuracy. Your attacks may hit more, but I don't think it affects bind chance. If you're talking about forges, Luc forges would probably be the only thing that might affect it. I imagine your sniper has Ailment Boost if it's a S/A. That skill supposedly raises chances of binds, but I think it's a small percentage.

Are you taking down his scales in battle? Also try to get some Fire Charms and destroy the huge scale in his room if you haven't.

Trying to, but they regen so fast it is tough. I bought ice jars for the occasion too.

I destroyed the big scale. I'll just get some fire/poison resist food.

KarmaCow

I've easily killed the plant FOEs in the 5th Maze for the awesome hp boosting armour. Everyone is wearing it. I could try the other FOEs but unless they drop some significantly better weapons I don't see it helping much.

And yea, the Arcanist sub is purely for that ailment boost and TP return. I was thinking of using +hit to get more shots in with Squad Volley and proc more Links but it might be over kill with a multi hit dancer and glacier.

So far I've been using the +80hp food from Land 4. I might try the Elemental resist food to mitigate the body's damage since the arms don't do much, but I'm barely surviving some attacks as is.

zashga

That's a little lower than I was at that point. I'd recommend wrapping up any quests you still have to try to get a few more levels. You can also abuse mantis foes in Land 3 for some quick levels.
Feed them happiness hares to turn them shiny, then use the Holy Gift burst and kill them. Easy 120k experience per.
No need to get too carried away; level 60 is more than enough.

First strat is basically correct. You can't really hurt the face while either hand is up. Also, most of the face's attacks are elemental, so a fortress with element guard is helpful.
You should probably expect to have to kill the hands twice to get the face all the way "dead." Then you need to hit the core as hard as you can before everything regenerates.

Anteo

That's a little lower than I was at that point. I'd recommend wrapping up any quests you still have to try to get a few more levels. You can also abuse mantis foes in Land 3 for some quick levels.
Feed them happiness hares to turn them shiny, then use the Holy Gift burst and kill them. Easy 120k experience per.
No need to get too carried away; level 60 is more than enough.

First strat is basically correct. You can't really hurt the face while either hand is up. Also, most of the face's attacks are elemental, so a fortress with element guard is helpful.
You should probably expect to have to kill the hands twice to get the face all the way "dead." Then you need to hit the core as hard as you can before everything regenerates.

Well is not like you can't hurt the face, is just that the face is on the back row so it takes reduced damage. I just spammed Blizzard rune and try to set up for Venom throw + Spread to deal some extra damage to the face while taking care of the hands.

I've easily killed the plant FOEs in the 5th Maze for the awesome hp boosting armour. Everyone is wearing it. I could try the other FOEs but unless they drop some significantly better weapons I don't see it helping much.

And yea, the Arcanist sub is purely for that ailment boost and TP return. I was thinking of using +hit to get more shots in with Squad Volley and proc more Links but it might be over kill with a multi hit dancer and glacier.

So far I've been using the +80hp food from Land 4. I might try the Elemental resist food to mitigate the body's damage since the arms don't do much, but I'm barely surviving some attacks as is.

But what about the other FOEs in the hidden areas of the other Mazes, you know those you see when you are looking for the hits to open the big door?
Anyways, I belive you need some more levels, I beat it around level 62.

Ferrio

Banned
Trying to, but they regen so fast it is tough. I bought ice jars for the occasion too.

I destroyed the big scale. I'll just get some fire/poison resist food.

Load up on a ton of ice spikes before the battle, they take the scales out in one hit.

Buy some fire mists, and put fire rings on your front line.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Whelp, I need to find this. I bought an XL again for MonHun, but I LOVED the first EO. I didn't get too far into it (because man was it tough), but I loved the mapping and the straight up difficulty. How does this one compare in difficulty to the rest of the series?

Soulhouf

I just unlocked the sub-classes and I'm completely lost with all these combinations, there are too many.
FTM I only subclassed my Landsknecht with Nightseeker for the AGI bonus and dual wield.

My team:

- Landsknecht/Nightseeker
- Fortress/? : his only job is tanking, so I don't care if he doesn't hit hard. His only flaw is the lack of elemental resistances. Is there a class that provides that?
- Dancer/?
- Medic/?
- Runemaster/?

I can't decide which class to choose, so any suggestion is welcome.

scy

I just unlocked the sub-classes and I'm completely lost with all these combinations, there are too many.
FTM I only subclassed my Landsknecht with Nightseeker for the AGI bonus and dual wield.

My team:

- Fortress/? : his only job is tanking, so I don't care if he doesn't hit hard. His only flaw is the lack of elemental resistances. Is there a class that provides that?
- Dancer/?
- Medic/?
- Runemaster/?

Forstress/Dancer gives them bonus Evasion via Fan Dance. Runemaster is what provides Elemental Resistances via the Ice/Fire/Volt Runes.

Dancer/Nightseeker is pretty common but that's mainly to generate attacks for a Link Landsknecht; since your Landsknecht went /N, I guess you're not going that route. Dancer/Medic works for better heals or Dancer/Bushi for better attack damage, I guess? Honestly, I'd probably still just go Dancer/Nightseeker and get more auto-attacks for stun chances with Mist Haze.

Medic/Arcanist (or retiring and replacing with an Arcanist/Medic!) is the general suggestion here. Gives you Circles for Binds/Status Effects and some other utility.

Runemaster/Bushi gets them bonus damage. There's ... not much for a Runemaster to sub for Damage until you get Imperial.

Whelp, I need to find this. I bought an XL again for MonHun, but I LOVED the first EO. I didn't get too far into it (because man was it tough), but I loved the mapping and the straight up difficulty. How does this one compare in difficulty to the rest of the series?

EO4 is the "easiest" in the series but it's also the most complicated. Essentially, fights are less straightforward now as they all have some trick to them. It's also a lot more forgiving with skills (or, rather, there's no real, "MUST HAVE OR ELSE" skills) which helps a lot.

Basically, the difficulty itself isn't that different, you're just given better tools for that difficulty.

I'm sure it's been asked multiple times but what should I forge my fortresses weapon with? Vit?

I usually just gave them a Status Effect. The impact from VIT was pretty small, honestly.

Finally completed Lush Woodlands last night and got to the second ship map. Stuff got tougher, but I can clean the clock of an FOE up to this point, so I'm just grinding a bit of EXP on them
after eating a Golden Goose for the EXP bonus, especially if I find a rare breed
and then going back and forth between the new cave for better equipment.

This one, so far, feels like the most balanced EO so far. It's not crushingly difficult to where you can more or less get stuck with a party and have to start over.

Ferrio

Banned

My team:

- Dancer/?
- Medic/?
- Runemaster/?

Don't think there is any elemental resistance stuff that's passives. I guess maybe you could give him arcanist, then use him to lay down a circle then go back to tanking. Or give him dancer and load him up on fan dance and speed boost.

You can play around with your stuff here if you want.

http://www.crazyuncleivans.com/eo4skillsim/EO4Skillsim.html

tuffy

Fortress/Dancer is a good combination. Combining Guard Mastery, Fan Dance and Party Shield means that you'll nullify about half the hits to your party, avoid a quarter of the ones that get through, and take reduced damage on everything else.
Don't think there is any elemental resistance stuff that's passives.
I think Runic Shield has a chance to nullify elemental attacks, but its chances are pretty low even at maximum.

scy

Oh hey, other posts ;_;

Don't think there is any elemental resistance stuff that's passives.

Runemaster's have one but it's a random chance so it "sort of" counts, I guess.

I'm actually not sure if Weapon Parry (Landsknecht) counts all damage sources.

Or give him dancer and load him up on fan dance and speed boost.

Just to note, Fan Dance and Speed Boost do not stack.

Ferrio

Banned
Oh hey, other posts ;_;

Runemaster's have one but it's a random chance so it "sort of" counts, I guess.

I'm actually not sure if Weapon Parry (Landsknecht) counts all damage sources.

Just to note, Fan Dance and Speed Boost do not stack.

Ya forgot about runic shield. I assume the evade chance doesn't stack but the other stuff from speed boost does?

My fortress has a Landsknecht subclass. Vanguard allows him to act first so his shield skills actually can trigger before enemy attacks (since normally he's the slowest), and gives him the ability to set up links for my other frontliners.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
EO4 is the "easiest" in the series but it's also the most complicated. Essentially, fights are less straightforward now as they all have some trick to them. It's also a lot more forgiving with skills (or, rather, there's no real, "MUST HAVE OR ELSE" skills) which helps a lot.

Basically, the difficulty itself isn't that different, you're just given better tools for that difficulty.

Oh, I like that a lot actually. Having a bit more freedom is quite reassuring. Thanks!

Soulhouf

Thanks for the suggestions. Go for Dancer with my Fortress (I can't imagine how he will look like that lol).
I don't use link skills. My Landsknecht is 100% offense, sort of a Ronin in the 1st EO.
And regarding the Fortress slowness, I frequently use the Dancer skill "Quick Step" to allow him act first when I'm against fast enemies.

Soulhouf

Don't think there is any elemental resistance stuff that's passives. I guess maybe you could give him arcanist, then use him to lay down a circle then go back to tanking. Or give him dancer and load him up on fan dance and speed boost.

You can play around with your stuff here if you want.

http://www.crazyuncleivans.com/eo4skillsim/EO4Skillsim.html

Wow that link is awesome. Thanks!

I have another question: How do I change the sub-class if I want to?

Top Bottom