• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

scy

Ya forgot about runic shield. I assume the evade chance doesn't stack but the other stuff from speed boost does?

Fan Dance is disabled, Speed Boost in it's entirety works. So you basically get one or the other, not both.

My fortress has a Landsknecht subclass. Vanguard allows him to act first so his shield skills actually can trigger before enemy attacks (since normally he's the slowest), and gives him the ability to set up links for my other frontliners.

Shield skills already have a fairly good priority modifier so Vanguard shouldn't be necessary. Even then, you could always just use a Dagger for the SPD modifier.

But, yeah, guaranteeing your Fortress goes first is pretty important. Not sure if Vanguard is the best way to go about that (since it has a damage taken penalty), however. Then again, Weapon Parry and a second instance of Iron Wall helps, I suppose.

I don't use link skills. My Landsknecht is 100% offense, sort of a Ronin in the 1st EO.

Well, Link skills are purely offense. It's their best damage build.

I have another question: How do I change the sub-class if I want to?

Resting will reset your sub-class.

Ferrio

Banned
Shield skills already have a fairly good priority modifier so Vanguard shouldn't be necessary. Even then, you could always just use a Dagger for the SPD modifier.

But, yeah, guaranteeing your Fortress goes first is pretty important. Not sure if Vanguard is the best way to go about that (since it has a damage taken penalty), however. Then again, Weapon Parry and a second instance of Iron Wall helps, I suppose.

The vanguard penalty is pretty minimal + insane amount of defensive skills (iron walls, hp boost, guard mastery, sword breaker, and eventually weapon parry) makes it managable. I haven't tried dual wielding him with weapon parry yet though, not sure if I want to lose my shield. I assume once I get enough skill points I will though, since I can count the times I've used the shield skills on one hand.

Do both iron walls stack?

Ephidel

This will be a really stupid question, but I'm hoping people can help, and I'm hoping that I'm not imagining things.
I'm sure that the screen used to center on me while I was exploring, or at the very least if I went out of the 'current' square it would budge along to show the one I was now in. Now, for some reason, it doesn't, and I'm having to keep zooming in or out or scroll manually to keep up.
I'm assuming I've somehow knocked an option that does this, but I can't see one. Does anyone have any ideas how I can set it back how it was before? :|

tuffy

Do both iron walls stack?
They should. I think Dancer's bugged Speed Boost is the only one that has problems stacking.
I'm assuming I've somehow knocked an option that does this, but I can't see one. Does anyone have any ideas how I can set it back how it was before? :|
There should be a checkbox in the upper left corner of the map that toggles having the map follow you around while zoomed.

KarmaCow

That's a little lower than I was at that point. I'd recommend wrapping up any quests you still have to try to get a few more levels. You can also abuse mantis foes in Land 3 for some quick levels.
Feed them happiness hares to turn them shiny, then use the Holy Gift burst and kill them. Easy 120k experience per.
No need to get too carried away; level 60 is more than enough.

First strat is basically correct. You can't really hurt the face while either hand is up. Also, most of the face's attacks are elemental, so a fortress with element guard is helpful.
You should probably expect to have to kill the hands twice to get the face all the way "dead." Then you need to hit the core as hard as you can before everything regenerates.

Yea I went all out killing the head
or so I thought then it went all "this isn't even my final form".
. Ugh I got sick of grinding sheep to get my new Landsknecht up, I don't want to do that again but I don't have any quests left.

scy

The vanguard penalty is pretty minimal + insane amount of defensive skills (iron walls, hp boost, guard mastery, sword breaker, and eventually weapon parry) makes it managable.

Just to note, Vanguard's penalty is applied after all those so it's a bit larger than you'd think. Still, you're right, it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things but it does increase the damage you take and takes a turn to setup all while not actually being necessary since Shield skills seem to have a high Speed mod anyway and you can do other things to manage (e.g., Daggers).

Edit: Well, I guess not after HP Boost or Guard Mastery but still.

I haven't tried dual wielding him with weapon parry yet though, not sure if I want to lose my shield. I assume once I get enough skill points I will though, since I can count the times I've used the shield skills on one hand.

You can use two weapons and a Shield. As weird as it may seem.

Ferrio

Banned
Just to note, Vanguard's penalty is applied after all those so it's a bit larger than you'd think. Still, you're right, it's not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things but it does increase the damage you take and takes a turn to setup all while not actually being necessary since Shield skills seem to have a high Speed mod anyway and you can do other things to manage (e.g., Daggers).

Edit: Well, I guess not after HP Boost or Guard Mastery but still.

Well it's mainly for setting up links. He was sitting around just taking hits all day, the only one that was wasting turns he could be doing something.. so I made him the link bitch.

You can use two weapons and a Shield. As weird as it may seem.

I did not know that.. I didn't even check since it's one of the rpgs things you usually can't do. Though I do like my rings :(

Soulhouf

I don't know why but this made me LMAO:

IMG_0956.jpg

KarmaCow

So again after one level, the boss was more than manageable. Weird, something similar happened with another boss. Character level has no effect on the calculations right? I doubt the slight increase in stats made that much of a difference.

scy

So again after one level, the boss was more than manageable. Weird, something similar happened with another boss. Character level has no effect on the calculations right? I doubt the slight increase in stats made that much of a difference.

Unless things have changed, the only Level-based calculation is the chance for Status Effects/Binds to wear off.

Edit: Oh, right, Healing was also Level based (or, rather, your TEC compared with your Level).

KarmaCow

Hmm that's odd then. Binds didn't really factor in the fight as much as other attempts and I doubt the healing boost from dances/circles really changed anything.

Oh well, at least that part is over.

Ferrio

Banned
Hmm that's odd then. Binds didn't really factor in the fight as much as other attempts and I doubt the healing boost from dances/circles really changed anything.

Oh well, at least that part is over.

Could always be random chance. Some fights pretty much come down to if I land a blind or not.

KarmaCow

Fair enough, it just seemed odd that this one attempt after reaching level 55 was relatively pain free compared to the dozen or so attempts at level 54. I got past the first stage, barely in a last ditch attempt once at level 54 and the other attempts I never managed to get it to the red.

Anteo

Fair enough, it just seemed odd that this one attempt after reaching level 55 was relatively pain free compared to the dozen or so attempts at level 54. I got past the first stage, barely in a last ditch attempt once at level 54 and the other attempts I never managed to get it to the red.

Try a rematch against it in the post game content. The first time I tried I destroyed him in 7 turns. the second time, around 72 he wiped my party really fast. And I'm pretty sure it doesn't scale at all so.... (The third time I got him even faster)

Is there some kind of trick to the dragons spawning? Like, should I just fly around for days, should I rest at the inn and check each day, or should I just keep reloading?

Also, my mind was blown when I realized you can just hold down B+left to boost instead of pressing each one over and over.

spiritfox

Is there some kind of trick to the dragons spawning? Like, should I just fly around for days, should I rest at the inn and check each day, or should I just keep reloading?

Also, my mind was blown when I realized you can just hold down B+left to boost instead of pressing each one over and over.

They respawn in 14 days, so just go sleep a ton.

Oh shit I didn't know that. That's so much easier.

tuffy

Taking on the story boss on my second playthrough went a lot easier than I expected. My Nightseeker/Imperial death cannon landed a poison throw, used Bushi charge from the Power Gauntlets that I'd carried over from my previous playthrough, then fired Accel Drive which hit for a staggering amount of damage - before Follow Trace fired it again for almost as much. Over half of the boss's health bar disappeared which made the rest of the fight very quick.

However, after the fight was done and I went back to town to unload monster parts, I realized I'd acquired another set of Power Gauntlets. This means I can field another Nightseeker/Imperial death cannon. It might be a little bland having two of the same character upfront, but it's just crazy enough that I want to try it. The sheer amount of damage should make the postgame bosses more manageable, at least.

tuffy

To defeat Fallen One, I'm planning Geo Impact burst in round 1 followed by:
  • N/I: Poison Throw -> Charge -> Volt Drive
  • I/R: Volt Drive -> Heat Sink -> Sharp Edge
  • N/I: Poison Throw -> Charge -> Volt Drive
  • R/I: Volt Rune -> Galvanic Rune -> Galvanic Rune
  • A/M: Hood Circle -> Atrophic Eye -> Charm Eye
If everything goes according to plan, there won't be a round 4. Otherwise, things are liable to get messy and I'll have to hope another big drive from the Imperial followed by Ignition and 3 more drives will do the trick.

Anteo

He is just doing so much damage. I beat him on casual mode, but this is just crazy.

Yeah there is that skill that can kill everyone in your party. I got him to red around level 78. But really for my party it was just a matter of luck, since I can't get that head bound.

Yeah his videos are impressive. There is one for the fallen one.

I managed to assassinate it, luckily, but I think I need to retire my characters for the stat benefits.

Ferrio

Banned
Working my way through the 4th maze. Cleared the top level with no issue... think I might be overleveled... which is odd cause I really didn't do any grinding. Hell I triggered one of those guard bots.. then took down all the tigers that came at me.

Soulhouf

OMG the 3rd land's boss kicked my ass so hard.
The only thing is that I didn't save sice 2 or 3 hours, but still, what an intense battle. I absolutely loved it.
I'm looking forward to come back and get my revenge <3

Anteo

OMG the 3rd land's boss kicked my ass so hard.
The only thing is that I didn't save sine 2 or 3 hours, but still, what an intense battle. I absolutely loved it.
I'm looking forward to come back and get my revenge <3

Wait so you went directly to the boss w/o saving? ouch

Soulhouf

Wait so you went directly to the boss w/o saving? ouch

Overconfidence :<
Since that powerful guy with his infinite TP was with me, my HP was full and almost full on TP as well, so I was overconfident, but this boss proved me wrong.
Lesson learned.

Ferrio

Banned
Overconfidence :<
Since that powerful guy with his infinite TP was with me, my HP was full and almost full on TP as well, so I was overconfident, but this boss proved me wrong.
Lesson learned.

Boss was tough for me... of course I think i did it very sloppy. To destroy the big scale I kept getting caught and having to escape. By the time I destroyed it and the real fight started I was pretty banged up.

Soulhouf

Boss was tough for me... of course I think i did it very sloppy. To destroy the big scale I kept getting caught and having to escape. By the time I destroyed it and the real fight started I was pretty banged up.

What? You can escape from boss battles?
Woe's me. If I only knew...

BearChair

I need some encouragement to keep going with this game.

I beat the regular game and have made it to 6-3. I only have three enemies left to kill
the three pumpkin FOEs on 6-2, the truly final boss and the final dragon (the black one)
. All of my characters are between level 89 and 91. I've been grinding the dragons and third and fourth land FOEs and doing QR code quests for the items and XP.

However, I keep getting killed whenever I try to take on any of the enemies I listed above. I already gathered the
correct canisters to weaken the final boss but the pupa still killed me

Give me some advice or some encouragement please. My goal is to defeat those three enemies before Amazon delivers Soul Hackers.

tuffy

What? You can escape from the fight?
If I only knew...
You won't have much luck escaping once you're actually in battle. But when the boss is still chasing you around the room while you're still breaking scales with ice stakes, you should be able to use an item to escape to the stairs if it corners you. However, that means fighting random encounters on the way back to the boss. So it's easy to get beat-up while trying to break the main scale.

Ferrio

Banned
What? You can escape from boss battles?
Woe's me. If I only knew...

You won't have much luck escaping once you're actually in battle. But when the boss is still chasing you around the room while you're still breaking scales with ice stakes, you should be able to use an item to escape to the stairs if it corners you. However, that means fighting random encounters on the way back to the boss. So it's easy to get beat-up while trying to break the main scale.

I was able to escape each time. Would take like 3 rounds atleast with every character doing escape. I broke a few regular scales, got caught.. escaped threaded out. Came back, and worked my way to the main scale, escaping when he caught me.

Soulhouf

I only broke one scale and he caught me before breaking the next one. The battle was completely unmanageable that way.
I need to find another way.

tuffy

I was able to escape each time. Would take like 3 rounds atleast with every character doing escape.
And I thought I was getting beat up. Ouch.
I only broke one scale and he caught me before breaking the next one. The battle was completely unmanageable like that.
I need to find another way.
The scales stay broken while you're in the maze, at least. What I did was walk up the west side of the room, break the first scale and by that time he was right on me. So I used an item to escape to the stairs on the same floor. I marched back to the boss room, made him walk around the pool tiles to buy myself more time, broke the next scale and escaped. I just kept on repeating that process until I broke the main scale which halts him in his tracks.

At that point you can walk up behind him and attack with a free turn.

Soulhouf

Victory!
Finally I got that bastard Boiling Lizard.
I didn't break the scales because I didn't want to do the warp trick and breaking them the legit way seemed impossible.
Anyway, I was victorious with only my dancer alive. The last attack missed her and she was able to lend the final blow to the boss. I almost got a heart attack lol
What a battle! It was beyond epic. I would never think a game in 2013 would still give me that feeling of achievement.
It was awesome, feels good man.

balddemon

Banned
Congrats!

Jut so ou know, you can walk in, break a zscale, and walk out of the room with him right in your tale. Then walk around a couple times and he goes back to his starting square. Rinse and repeat. No warping necessary.

In other news, I hatethe 5th maze.

vall03

I just finished my 2nd playthrough with this party

F/D - M/F - B/N
R/B - S/A

Im kinda neutral with this party tbh. Damage was all over the place. Even with Star Drop, I don't feel my damage output is that high compared my previous party. The Bushi and Runemaster were the ones dealing the most damage but I find them inconsistent. The Sniper was kinda useless if the enemy doesn't have Leg Bind since Squall Volley misses a lot, and she ended up just having a support role. Vengeance Bash wasn't as strong as I thought it would be, don't know if Earth Break would deal better damage though.

Anyway, I can finally start my All-Fortress playthrough!

spiritfox

I just finished my 2nd playthrough with this party

F/D - M/F - B/N
R/B - S/A

Im kinda neutral with this party tbh. Damage was all over the place. Even with Star Drop, I don't feel my damage output is that high compared my previous party. The Bushi and Runemaster were the ones dealing the most damage but I find them inconsistent. The Sniper was kinda useless if the enemy doesn't have Leg Bind since Squall Volley misses a lot, and she ended up just having a support role. Vengeance Bash wasn't as strong as I thought it would be, don't know if Earth Break would deal better damage though.

Anyway, I can finally start my All-Fortress playthrough!

If you're using Squall Volley you should skill Spotter. But yeah S is more utility than damage. I like B with Flash Slice but she doesn't have as much burst as the big damage dealers.

Gogo twintail quintuplet party!

Top Bottom