• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

I have the two final super bosses left to kill and everyone is level 70 - 75. What would be the best way of grinding at this point? Shiny FOEs aren't giving so much exp.

Anteo

I have the two final super bosses left to kill and everyone is level 70 - 75. What would be the best way of grinding at this point? Shiny FOEs aren't giving so much exp.

Grind the Dragons, use the Red Dragon thing on the overworld that give exp and add the Holy Gift Burst.

tuffy

I found out you can have over one million En, which was a little surprising.

My reorganized party of I/R N/I N/I, R/I A/M is also working out pretty well against the elemental dragons (though I admit it now has a whole lot of Imperial). My team's in the mid-60's for levels and still manages to win after 6-8 turns or so which is a lot easier than it was on my previous playthrough. Fallen One is still out of the question, though; I'm going to need more levels and possibly some better drive blades first. So now's a good time to test whether if my offense-heavy team works better in the 6th maze than my last one.

Regarding Cradle Guardian's mixers:
lBUgwKH.png

Guess I'll use some HP up food and try again.

tuffy

Binding his big stupid revolving head works too.

He caught me off guard the first time and the only reason I survived was that he couldn't do more damage than my Bushi/Nightseeker would regenerate each round with Blade Flurry/Ferocity. I won the fight but still felt like I'd really messed up since everyone else was dead.

Ferrio

Banned
God this one quest in BF2 of Maze 4 is stuuuupid. Pretty much was based on random chance, and I was in there for a good hour and a half trying to complete it. My characters must of went up 3 levels while doing it, which is kinda silly cause I think I might of been overleveled as is.

Then I went to BF3, and well what awaited me as soon as I went down there didn't get a single hit on me even though the battle lasted about 10-15 rounds.

The one where they want to "research" various monsters and you have to attack them? I think you fail if you leave the floor...but otherwise they should eventually spawn. That quest?

tuffy

God this one quest in BF2 of Maze 4 is stuuuupid. Pretty much was based on random chance, and I was in there for a good hour and a half trying to complete it. My characters must of went up 3 levels while doing it, which is kinda silly cause I think I might of been overleveled as is.
Both times I did that quest (one on each playthrough) took me exactly 23 game hours just because I didn't get the monsters I needed in the right order. All the HP/TP restorative skills make it easier to spend that kind of time in the maze without completely running out of gas, but it's frustrating because of all the disappointing fights with the wrong enemies.

scy

While it is random chance, it's worth noting that enemy encounters are tile based (as far as I'm aware, anyway; maybe it's changed for this game). That is, certain areas have different possible encounters with their own appearance rates. Just go through the floor entirely, not running in a circle in the same area.

So I just wanted to brainstorm some end game stuff to do. I know other people are there, or will get there soon.

There's...farming for equips. I just went and got most of the armors...pretty easy with Formaldehyde. Also grinding out drops for forges.

What are the best forges? I know ATK and ELM are good for doing more damage. I don't really see much use for the elemental affinities if all they are good for is regular attacks. Stats could be useful if you were short on something specific.

A 6 or 8 forged instant death or petrify could be useful, especially for that one dragon boss.

There's also leveling up retirees back to 99. I'm going to do that eventually. For the stats.

Most of the endgame armors are easy to get when you're level 99. The only things that are still kind of challenging are some post game bosses and FOEs. I haven't fought the postgame boss yet in this NG+. I'm not going to do another NG+ so this is the last thing.

Sorry if this is way over someone's head.

It's been pretty fun wandering around the 6th maze. I even saw the ingredients for Hamao II pop up. I like that all the usual EO battle items are still here.

Do any of you actually use healing items? I don't think I've used one since my first 5 levels...

Yeah, sometimes. Mainly Nectars...I keep some Medica IIIs around for some reason, even though I have Medica IVs now. I didn't use a Medic until the post game. An A or a D can do all the healing too. You could do without though, and rely on healing items. Why do you ask?

Ferrio

Banned
Yeah, sometimes. Mainly Nectars...I keep some Medica IIIs around for some reason, even though I have Medica IVs now. I didn't use a Medic until the post game. An A or a D can do all the healing too. You could do without though, and rely on healing items. Why do you ask?

Just curious, since I haven't had to use them. Was wondering if that was the case with other people. I guess if you didn't rock with a medic that'd be the case.

Just curious, since I haven't had to use them. Was wondering if that was the case with other people. I guess if you didn't rock with a medic that'd be the case.

I was thinking about that when I was using party heal on my medic. I was like, what did I do before this? I guess circle boon/dismiss heal, and/or regen waltz are also pretty good.

There should be a hard mode...

tuffy

So I just wanted to brainstorm some end game stuff to do. I know other people are there, or will get there soon.
I'm still in the process of getting back to the 6th maze boss. My old story party had a Fortress and Sniper in key positions but that just wasn't working out anymore in postgame. There'd be encounters where I'd want to bind multiple enemies at once, or where my Fortress just couldn't sponge up enough damage without dying. My new party switched over to an Arcanist for binding and a bigger emphasis on ending encounters faster with Nightseeker poison and Runemaster wide-effect spells.
Do any of you actually use healing items? I don't think I've used one since my first 5 levels...
Rarely. I've been using an Arcanist's Dismiss Heal and sometimes I need to restore someone's HP when I'm between circle casts and don't have any shielding bursts available. But that doesn't happen very often.

I'm still in the process of getting back to the 6th maze boss. My old story party had a Fortress and Sniper in key positions but that just wasn't working out anymore in postgame. There'd be encounters where I'd want to bind multiple enemies at once, or where my Fortress just couldn't sponge up enough damage without dying. My new party switched over to an Arcanist for binding and a bigger emphasis on ending encounters faster with Nightseeker poison and Runemaster wide-effect spells.

So you didn't have a Sniper in your NG+? I was just using 2 Snipers in the 6th Maze. I'm not sure if Scavenger stacks, but I was going after the rare drops.

NG+ was really fun, but I don't want to do another because you lose all your ingredients that you sold to the store. I'm kind of thinking of buying another copy of the game...but I am going to restart EO3 from the beginning.

tuffy

So you didn't have a Sniper in your NG+? I was just using 2 Snipers in the 6th Maze. I'm not sure if Scavenger stacks, but I was going after the rare drops.
I'd been running a I/N F/D B/N, S/A A/M setup where my Sniper delivers binds and my Arcanist puts out poison circles. It worked pretty well for the main game where the poison was good enough for random encounters and the binds were mostly for bosses. But it falls apart in the 6th maze where it's pretty common to run into 3 status-effecting monsters at once. Arcanist poison isn't powerful enough to kill them in a turn or two, Fortress Party Shield doesn't cover status effects, and one Sniper just isn't enough.

So I flipped it around by having my Arcanist deliver binds, my Nightseekers deliver stronger wide-area sleep/poison, and my Runemaster generate wide-area damage. Hopefully it'll mean a lot fewer party wipes from plain random encounters.

I found out you can have over one million En, which was a little surprising.

My reorganized party of I/R N/I N/I, R/I A/M is also working out pretty well against the elemental dragons (though I admit it now has a whole lot of Imperial). My team's in the mid-60's for levels and still manages to win after 6-8 turns or so which is a lot easier than it was on my previous playthrough. Fallen One is still out of the question, though; I'm going to need more levels and possibly some better drive blades first. So now's a good time to test whether if my offense-heavy team works better in the 6th maze than my last one.

And this is what you changed to? That'll kill stuff so quick once you get a status on something. The Fallen One might be easier than you think if you use Assassinate on it with 2 N's.

tuffy

And this is what you changed to? That'll kill stuff so quick once you get a status on something. The Fallen One might be easier than you think if you use Assassinate on it with 2 N's.
When I first started the NG+ run I only had one N/I and decided to see how a level ~40 team would handle the full strength Boiling Lizard. Turns out that with poison in effect, Bushi charge (from the power gauntlets) and elemental drive, it did something like 7000HP in one shot and the whole fight took 5 turns or so. Now that I have 2 N/Is, it should do better.

But I think the difference between my level ~65 party and the Fallen One is still too high since I can't get Poison Throw to land before I get wiped out. So it's probably time to head back to the 6th maze first. I need to get the parts for a second 4 slot drive blade and put on a few levels before trying that fight again.

Soulhouf

The mixture between nature and building in the 4th land dungeons reminds me of
Lost Sinjuku
in the 1st EO. Is this the final land? We will see...
Also, a new battle music at last!
Is it me or the music, outside the boss theme, is a big meh in this episode? I don't know, the first game has many excellent battle themes and memorable dungeon music but this one didn't strike me so far.
The music isn't bad of course, but it isn't great either.

Ferrio

Banned
Beat the 4th maze boss. So I know there's 6 mazes right? Is the 5th one the last in the story and six after or something?

Ferrio

Banned
Does anyone know how DEF reduces damage? I'm curious whether I get better defense dual wielding with lvl 3 weapon parry, or using my shield.

With my shield I have 280 DEF. With my dual wield I have 200 DEF but take 79% dmg. So would that 80 DEF be more or less than 20% dmg reduction?

Ferrio

Banned
Does anyone know how DEF reduces damage? I'm curious whether I get better defense dual wielding with lvl 3 weapon parry, or using my shield.

With my shield I have 280 DEF. With my dual wield I have 200 DEF but take 79% dmg. So would that 80 DEF be more or less than 20% dmg reduction?

Did a bit of testing. Seems the dual swords give me more reduction, but by only 10-15 dmg or so... so it's almost negligible.

Anteo

Finally, the last dragon is down. Man that was an intense fight. I got him with my Nightseeker as the only character alive,
not enough burst to defend my party from the super nova, I just protected the NS with the fortress, lauched an all out attack wih everyone else and landed a poison that turn. Next turn the land that survived with endure dies and the ns evades everything. The poison fafes and I'm like shit why didnt I use black mist. Thankfully it died anyways because of foul mastery bonus damage.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I'm buying the Limited Edition for around 32 dollars, hopefully this game is as good as you guys seem to imply here!

Not actually pining for the soundtrack or the artbook, but eh, for that price, why not.

I'm buying the Limited Edition for around 32 dollars, hopefully this game is as good as you guys seem to imply here!

Not actually pining for the soundtrack or the artbook, but eh, for that price, why not.

32 dollars is a great price, the OST/artbook aren't good at all tbh, but that price for the game? GREAT!

Soulhouf

Even if the soundtrack isn't spectacular, I can say that it's the best 3DS game so far.

spiritfox

Welp, it's here.

etrianodyssey4.jpg

Any tips? Never played an Etrian Odyssey game before except just maybe 10 minutes fooling around in the first one.

TOUCH. EVERYTHING.

Don't touch everything.

Just go with a standard RPG party with a tank, a healer, and some DPS. Don't forget to bring Ariadne Threads before you go dungeon diving, and sell all your loot unless you need it for a quest (they'll tell you if you need it). Don't engage FOEs when you first meet them, and please don't grind to defeat them at that time too. It makes the game boring and makes you overleveled for the rest of the maze. This game rewards you for exploring everywhere, so try to go everywhere you can. Finally, those colorful flowers signify there's a shortcut there, which you can unlock to make backtracking much easier.

scy

Super late to this but enemy damage should be:

(3*AttackerSTR - [TotalArmor]/3) * sqrt(AttackerSTR / DefenderVIT) * OtherMultipliers
(5*AttackerTEC - [TotalArmor]/3) * sqrt(AttackerTEC / DefenderTEC) * OtherMultipliers

So losing 80 DEF would mean you're taking ~27 more damage per hit before all other multipliers.

Edit: ....................wow. ;__;

Any tips? Never played an Etrian Odyssey game before except just maybe 10 minutes fooling around in the first one.

Don't get put off too much by the claims of massive difficulty and all that. Make a relatively balanced group (Fortress + Medic or Dancer + any of the rest) and you'll be fine for the most part. Don't worry too much about the skills and what's "best." Redoing skills is pretty cheap (-2 Levels) and your limited selection plus all the skills being pretty good on their own makes it rather easy a good set of starting skills.

That said, if you go Fortress, I'd pretty highly recommend getting/maxing Taunt early. The same for getting (but not maxing) Dancer's Regen Waltz early or maxing Medic's Patch Up.

Besides that, general advice would be to just be cautious. Random encounters can kill you. FoEs are meant to be avoided unless the story claims otherwise. There's an abundance of shortcuts so you don't lose that much time if you have to warp out via an Ariadne Thread. Just take things slow until you're comfortable.

tuffy

Wat
There are a casual mode? It's that I care, but I didn't even notice O_O
It should've asked you when the game started whether you wanted to play it on an easier mode, but you can toggle it from the options screen anytime you're in town. Casual means monsters hit for less damage, it gives you an infinite amount of warps to town, and you won't lose progress when you die. Otherwise, it plays similarly to normal mode.

Soulhouf

It should've asked you when the game started whether you wanted to play it on an easier mode, but you can toggle it from the options screen anytime you're in town. Casual means monsters hit for less damage, it gives you an infinite amount of warps to town, and you won't lose progress when you die. Otherwise, it plays similarly to normal mode.

I must have button mash skipped it lol.
Wow that's completely unexpected. The game isn't really hard to begin with, so why would they bother putting a casual mode?
Humm Atlus...

spiritfox

The series always had a reputation of being hard, and it's still not as easy as some games, so casual mode helps to draw in players who would have otherwised passed it up.

Ferrio

Banned

(3*AttackerSTR - [TotalArmor]/3) * sqrt(AttackerSTR / DefenderVIT) * OtherMultipliers
(5*AttackerTEC - [TotalArmor]/3) * sqrt(AttackerTEC / DefenderTEC) * OtherMultipliers

So losing 80 DEF would mean you're taking ~27 more damage per hit before all other multipliers.

Interesting... so what accounts for the spread in damage from the same monster from the same attack? There seems to be a range, but according to those forumlas it should be static, baring crits I guess?

Does Mist Dance stack with stun forges?

I found I hit a lot more stuns with forge+mist dance, than either one alone.

Talaysen

Shouldn't it just be TotalArmor for TEC damage, or did they change that?

Interesting... so what accounts for the spread in damage from the same monster from the same attack? There seems to be a range, but according to those forumlas it should be static, baring crits I guess?

Random variance, probably. If I recall correctly, there's about a 10% variance on either side of the calculated value.

scy

I omit it but RandomVariance is a function of your BaseDamage. I want to say it's Rn(0..(10*trunc[BaseDamage/100])) but something about that doesn't seem right.

Note: Low amounts of damage would just use Rn(0..5) and sub-100 Damage would have no variance with this, hence why I don't think it's quite right for EO3/EO4. I think I'm just remembering the EO2 formula, to be honest.

Shouldn't it just be TotalArmor for TEC damage, or did they change that?

No, you're right. I just copy/pasted the above line and changed the STR/TEC values and forgot the Armor bit. TEC damage checks vs TotalArmor.

RangerBAD

Just started my game and got past the Count's initiation task. I made 2 Fighters, a Thief, a Healer and a Sniper. I'm looking at the equipment I can buy and I'm not sure what to get in terms of accessory, head, hand and feet. Since I'm limited to three slots for armor and accessories. What's really best to buy?

Can you guys sell me on this game?

I wan't to now what the appeal is. Also I am big on engaging stories in jrpgs which I heard that that this game doesn't have.

Top Bottom