• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Anteo

Really taking my time with this, but today I'm going to defeat the Boiling Lizard. Come at me, brah.

A little advice in spoilers.
Remember that you can counter his
...regen...
skill by using
Roar, the guest unit should have that.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Is it possible to change the primary job class of a character?

I'm at Lv 20 now and I'm not sure if I am really going to continue needing to use the Medic as a main class... does he stay useful?

tuffy

Is it possible to change the primary job class of a character?

I'm at Lv 20 now and I'm not sure if I am really going to continue needing to use the Medic as a main class... does he stay useful?
To change a character's main class, you basically need to retire them into a new character with the class you want. That means starting at half the level you had before. But using the trainers (which first appear in the quest bar at the end of the second maze) makes the leveling up process less painful.

Medics as a main class just aren't that useful in general. Some of their skills like refresh and revive are good to have around, but not so good to need a whole character slot for them. I like to recomment Arcanists instead (once you get them) which have potent party-wide healing skills while also providing some offense. Then add Medic skills via subclassing later.

Roubjon

Medics as a main class just aren't that useful in general. Some of their skills like refresh and revive are good to have around, but not so good to need a whole character slot for them. I like to recomment Arcanists instead (once you get them) which have potent party-wide healing skills while also providing some offense. Then add Medic skills via subclassing later.

I've been struggling with my character builds, but turning my Medic into an Arcanist with a Medic sublcass seems like a pretty good idea. But would that be any different than having a Medic with an Arcanist subclass? Because that is what I currently have.

tuffy

I've been struggling with my character builds, but turning my Medic into an Arcanist with a Medic sublcass seems like a pretty good idea. But would that be any different than having a Medic with an Arcanist subclass? Because that is what I currently have.
A Medic main gives you its healing bonus class skill and allows you to put more points into its other skills. But a lot of those skills like refresh, recovery, treat and full heal just have lower TP cost with more points while others like star drop and revive are only moderately better with more points.

On the other hand, an Arcanist main's class skill restores TP every time a circle ends. And since circles are pretty TP efficient to begin with, this means you can cast them all the time. In addition, being able to put all 8 points into something like poison circle will trivialize random encounters for awhile. Not to mention putting 8 points into bracing walk will mean never having to heal between random encounters again.

So the short version is that there's just more skills worth putting a lot of points into on the Arcanist side than on the Medic side, so an Arcanist/Medic works out better.

Soulhouf

A Medic main gives you its healing bonus class skill and allows you to put more points into its other skills. But a lot of those skills like refresh, recovery, treat and full heal just have lower TP cost with more points while others like star drop and revive are only moderately better with more points.

On the other hand, an Arcanist main's class skill restores TP every time a circle ends. And since circles are pretty TP efficient to begin with, this means you can cast them all the time. In addition, being able to put all 8 points into something like poison circle will trivialize random encounters for awhile. Not to mention putting 8 points into bracing walk will mean never having to heal between random encounters again.

So the short version is that there's just more skills worth putting a lot of points into on the Arcanist side than on the Medic side, so an Arcanist/Medic works out better.

I second this. An Arcanist subclassed with medic is just perfect especially toward the end game.

vareon

A little advice in spoilers.
Remember that you can counter his
...regen...
skill by using
Roar, the guest unit should have that.

Defeated the lizard without noticing this. Damn this would've made things a bit easier.

Also: how do I defeat the newly-appeared Babboon boss quest that takes place in the first cave? The moment he summons two Rollers, I'm screwed because he can damage my entire party significantly while healing like 600 HP per turn.

tuffy

Also: how do I defeat the newly-appeared Babboon boss quest that takes place in the first cave? The moment he summons two Rollers, I'm screwed because he can damage my entire party significantly while healing like 600 HP per turn.
Binding his arms shuts down that Roller toss attack and makes him an easy target while the Rollers themselves are weak to all elemental attacks. But for what it's worth, I couldn't get binds to stick when the quest first became available. Once I gained a few levels, the arm binds held for more than a turn and the fight became a lot easier.

Hoodbury

New to the series and on the second maze now. I'm not really getting the reference screen for mobs, it doesn't really tell me anything I want to know. I even used the burst skill to fill it all in. I was hoping it would maybe tell me what they are weak to or what type of attack they use so I know what bind to use (leg/arm/head).

Is there really any point to that reference sheet? I think it's pressing X when at the combat screen.

What's the best way to know if you should use fire, ice, bolt, etc?

Anteo

New to the series and on the second maze now. I'm not really getting the reference screen for mobs, it doesn't really tell me anything I want to know. I even used the burst skill to fill it all in. I was hoping it would maybe tell me what they are weak to or what type of attack they use so I know what bind to use (leg/arm/head).

Is there really any point to that reference sheet? I think it's pressing X when at the combat screen.

What's the best way to know if you should use fire, ice, bolt, etc?

No, that's the active buff/debuff table. Press R to bring the dictionary up, you will see the entries for the enemies, and under the HP/AT/DF data there is a small table with symbols, those represent a damage type, and it indicates if the enemy is strong, netural or weak against it. No real way to tell how to bind a enemy, most elemental spells and debuffs use head, binding the arms reduce the enemy damage and binding legs reduces (and sometimes nullifies) enemy evasion.
UOOcASX.jpg

Hoodbury

No, that's the active buff/debuff table. Press R to bring the dictionary up, you will see the entries for the enemies, and under the HP/AT/DF data there is a small table with symbols, those represent a damage type, and it indicates if the enemy is strong, netural or weak against it. No real way to tell how to bind a enemy, most elemental spells and debuffs use head, binding the arms reduce the enemy damage and binding legs reduces (and sometimes nullifies) enemy evasion.

Ah, right that's the screen I'm talking about. Is there anywhere that explains what those symbols mean? Like the upper left one is a / what does that represent? Then sometimes there's a WK or a RS under them, what does that mean?

Thanks for the help.

Saprol

Ah, right that's the screen I'm talking about. Is there anywhere that explains what those symbols mean? Like the upper left one is a / what does that represent? Then sometimes there's a WK or a RS under them, what does that mean?
WK is weakness to that type, and RS is resistance against it. Physical damage (Slash/Pierce/Bash) on the top and elemental (Fire/Ice/Lightning) on the bottom.

Pierce/Bash might be switched but it looks about right working off that photo.

Hoodbury

WK is weakness to that type, and RS is resistance against it. Physical damage (Slash/Pierce/Bash) on the top and elemental (Fire/Ice/Lightning) on the bottom.

Pierce/Bash might be switched but it looks about right working off that photo.

Perfect, thanks that helps a lot.

So follow up question, what fills in that table? Is it just the amount of times you fight that mob? And each time you fight it another field fills in?

Saprol

So follow up question, what fills in that table? Is it just the amount of times you fight that mob? And each time you fight it another field fills in?
There's the 1-bar(?) Burst Skill for fights where you don't feel safe wasting turns to test options, or you can kill the enemy.

Hoodbury

There's the 1-bar(?) Burst Skill for fights where you don't feel safe wasting turns to test options, or you can kill the enemy.

Yep, I have that burst skill, just wondering how useful it is. So it takes someone to use a bash skill to fill in the bash field, someone to use an ice attack to fill in the ice field, etc?

Or are you saying I can just kill the enemy and that will fill in the table?

Saprol

Yep, I have that burst skill, just wondering how useful it is. So it takes someone to use a bash skill to fill in the bash field, someone to use an ice attack to fill in the ice field, etc?

I meant you could just spend the burst or fumble around/brute force kill it for the data after the fight. It won't update WS/RK during the battle the latter way.

Anteo

You need to kill the mob once. No need to try the weaknesses by yourself.

Anteo

If you just have to kill the mob once doesn't that kind of make the burst skill useless? Except for maybe bosses?

Pretty much, there are some mobs that are hard to kill if you don't know their weakness/resistance, so it may work for that too, but after the first time is useless.

Hoodbury

HP is usually vastly superior I found. I think you'd need a *alot* of defense to outweigh hp.

I feel like I've been wearing these bronze icon's for too long. They give +20 hp and +1 to all stats. I got the mats to make a new helm that would give me +21 defense. Would that be *alot* or enough to replace the bronze icon?

About to start a game. Any tips on what classes I should start out with? I also notice some talk of subclassing, which afaik is new to the series (I skipped 3, but played 1 and 2). How does that influence how I should build my team?

Ferrio

Banned
I feel like I've been wearing these bronze icon's for too long. They give +20 hp and +1 to all stats. I got the mats to make a new helm that would give me +21 defense. Would that be *alot* or enough to replace the bronze icon?

I'd say no.

You'll get better icons soon enough.

About to start a game. Any tips on what classes I should start out with? I also notice some talk of subclassing, which afaik is new to the series (I skipped 3, but played 1 and 2). How does that influence how I should build my team?

You can rest your characters at any time to redo their subclass and skills. There's also retiring so, if you truely truely truely hate what you went with later on you can retire a character and get a character that's half the level with bonus stats and skill points. So pretty much pick what you think might work, you can always adjust it later.

spiritfox

Classes-wise, stick with a tank, a healer, and some dps, unless you are more familiar with the series. Medics fall in usefulness later in the game, but they make the early game much easier.

You can rest your characters at any time to redo their subclass and skills. There's also retiring so, if you truely truely truely hate what you went with later on you can retire a character and get a character that's half the level with bonus stats and skill points. So pretty much pick what you think might work, you can always adjust it later.

Still, I'd rather not lose too many levels to resting and trying out new skills and such. What I'm thinking of is a LFN / MR, switching the Runemaster for an Arcanist when I unlock it. I actually played a little bit before losing an old copy, and mostly found that I wasn't sure how to build my medic, fortress, or runemaster. Any tips? I'd also be curious to hear more about the backline fortress everyone's been talking about... maybe I should do something more like LND / FR?

tuffy

I'd also be curious to hear more about the backline fortress everyone's been talking about... maybe I should do something more like LND / FR?
The idea on a backline fortress is that the cover shield skill works from either row, but being in the back automatically halves damage the fortress is taking for the team. The downside is the fortress' class skill doesn't restore TP from the back row, and a fortress doesn't have a lot of TP to begin with, so it's hard to keep that up for long. However, since shifting rows at the start of a turn is free, it's easy to bounce back and forth as needed.

Hoodbury

Couple more newbie questions:
1. I got an item from completing a quest, it's called: "Pranayama Guide" and I have no idea what it is. It doesn't seem to be a physical item that I carry or something I would equip or use. I've gotten other items like it and never know what they are. Any ideas?

2. Burst skill Double Slash only needs 2 points to use, while a skill like Ice Coffin uses 3 to use. But on an enemy like the Foe Big Moth who is weak to ice attacks, the double slash skill was doing around 65 damage for each of it's hits, so around 130 total and Ice Coffin only did 80 damage. Seems like Double Slash is OP or what am I missing? Why would an easier to use skill do way more damage than a higher cost skill that the mob is even weak against?

Anteo

Couple more newbie questions:
1. I got an item from completing a quest, it's called: "Pranayama Guide" and I have no idea what it is. It doesn't seem to be a physical item that I carry or something I would equip or use. I've gotten other items like it and never know what they are. Any ideas?

2. Burst skill Double Slash only needs 2 points to use, while a skill like Ice Coffin uses 3 to use. But on an enemy like the Foe Big Moth who is weak to ice attacks, the double slash skill was doing around 65 damage for each of it's hits, so around 130 total and Ice Coffin only did 80 damage. Seems like Double Slash is OP or what am I missing? Why would an easier to use skill do way more damage than a higher cost skill that the mob is even weak against?

For 1: That's the item that allows you to equip the burst skill Calm Breath.

For 2: Because the skills are affected by the stats of the user. Be sure to use the Ice Coffin with someone that has high TEC. Bonus points if you setup a Ice Rune and/or Runic Gleam before using the burst.

Hoodbury

For 1: That's the item that allows you to equyp the burst skill Calm Breath.
Ah, thanks. But how would one know this?

For 2: Because the skills are affected by the stats of the user. Be sure to use the Ice Coffin with someone that has high TEC. Bonus points if you setup a Ice Rune and/or Runic Gleam before using the burst.
Hmm, that makes sense. So it's entirely based on TEC? That would be my medic who has the highest TEC right now. I'll give that a try next time.

Thanks

Anteo

Ah, thanks. But how would one know this?

Hmm, that makes sense. So it's entirely based on TEC? That would be my medic who has the highest TEC right now. I'll give that a try next time.

Thanks

1) Because the description of the item says it so =P. Check it out in the "Key Items" section of your inventory. (Press Y to change sections)

2) Depends on the burst skill, magic based skills are affected by TEC just like any rune spell.

Hoodbury

(Press Y to change sections)
Woah, just opened up a whole new world. Never noticed that before, that explained all the other items I was wondering about too. Thanks!

2) Depends on the burst skill, magic based skills are affected by TEC just like any rune spell.
Guess I never really knew about TEC and rune spells. I don't have a magic based class so haven't really used spells besides the medic heals. That's good to know too so now I can ignore TEC for my other classes.

The idea on a backline fortress is that the cover shield skill works from either row, but being in the back automatically halves damage the fortress is taking for the team. The downside is the fortress' class skill doesn't restore TP from the back row, and a fortress doesn't have a lot of TP to begin with, so it's hard to keep that up for long. However, since shifting rows at the start of a turn is free, it's easy to bounce back and forth as needed.

By cover do you mean taunt?

Also would a party like LDN / FR work? Which of the three would take the back row when the Fortress wants to go forward? Or do you need two people on the front lines for it to work?

Is it worth it to max out the link skills on the Landschnekt? The character builder indicates that you don't get much out of putting more skill points in them - level 1 is 115% damage and 40% follow-up, while level 10 is 140% damage with a 50% follow up. Any thoughts?

tuffy

By cover do you mean taunt?
Whoops. I meant Party Shield up in veteran level. The Fortress automatically takes all hits for the team, but takes less damage from them in the back row.
Also would a party like LDN / FR work? Which of the three would take the back row when the Fortress wants to go forward? Or do you need two people on the front lines for it to work?
Since dances work on the row, it might make sense to shift the Dancer to the back row once in awhile. And Nightseeker throws work from the back row, if I recall correctly. So that's another option.
Is it worth it to max out the link skills on the Landschnekt? The character builder indicates that you don't get much out of putting more skill points in them - level 1 is 115% damage and 40% follow-up, while level 10 is 140% damage with a 50% follow up. Any thoughts?
It's probably not worth maxing out right away. But an extra 10% damage per chase, multiplied by up to 7 chases with Improved Link, really starts to add up once the link machine kicks in.

Ferrio

Banned
How should I build my Land and Dancer if I want to do a chasing party?

Dancer - Trick/chase samba. Sword/Mist Dance. Subclass as a Nightseeker and pick up blade flurry.

Land - Single point in each of the elemental links. Then max out improved link/link mastery.

That said... links are pretty meh IMO. They take waaaaay too much setup, which means they're only good on bosses. Also until you get improved link they're near useless (especially if you're rocking a runemaster).

tuffy

That said... links are pretty meh IMO. They take waaaaay too much setup, which means they're only good on bosses. Also until you get improved link they're near useless (especially if you're rocking a runemaster).
"Fragile" is the word I'd use. You've got to get the Linkshneckt to go before everyone else (usually means Vanguard), have Improved Link going to generate lots of chases, have the rest of the party make lots of attacks and have most of those attacks hit in order to be chased.

When it all comes together, the link machine's damage output is hard to beat. But if anything in the chain breaks down, you'll be wishing for something more straightforward. Even Vanguard and skills off the Double Strike tree aren't half bad when combined with the rest of the class's damage-boosting passives.

Ferrio

Banned
"Fragile" is the word I'd use. You've got to get the Linkshneckt to go before everyone else (usually means Vanguard), have Improved Link going to generate lots of chases, have the rest of the party make lots of attacks and have most of those attacks hit in order to be chased.

When it all comes together, the link machine's damage output is hard to beat. But if anything in the chain breaks down, you'll be wishing for something more straightforward. Even Vanguard and skills off the Double Strike tree aren't half bad when combined with the rest of the class's damage-boosting passives.

A single nightseeker pumped out way more damage than my link machine ever did.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Another subclass question, yay!

Right now, I'm rocking a Landshark/Fort/Sniper/Rune and an Arcanist with a Medic subclass. Trying to figure out the subclasses for my other characters, thinking about Dancer for the Fort, but I'm not so sure because I only have the Land Fort up front, with the fort mostly set up for defense and everyone else in the back.

What compliments the other classes in my party the best?

Top Bottom