• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

SuperSah

Banned
I guess the first person nature of the game might turn some people off, but this is a solid turn based RPG in terms of mechanics.

I just tried the demo and left with a sour taste. I'm not sure if I like it or not. Maybe we were spoiled by Fire Emblem but something feels a bit odd about this.

Can't say I terribly enjoyed it. :/

tuffy

I just tried the demo and left with a sour taste. I'm not sure if I like it or not. Maybe we were spoiled by Fire Emblem but something feels a bit odd about this.

Fire Emblem's a polar opposite in some ways.

In Fire Emblem, character positioning is crucial. In Etrian Odyssey, only which row your characters are in matters. In Fire Emblem, who brings down an enemy is important. In Etrian Odyssey it usually doesn't matter. In Fire Emblem, new class skills unlock linearly based on level. In Etrian Odyssey, you decide which skill in the tree to invest in next. In Fire Emblem, the whole board is laid out for you at the start of each stage. In Etrian Odyssey, you're expected to map each level one step at a time. In Fire Emblem your characters are predefined. In Etrian Odyssey you choose them yourself.

So while Etrian Odyssey is still a very tactical game, its priorities are very different compared to Fire Emblem.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican

I had to play the demo about three times before it clicked with me. I think it's such a great game, and so different than FE!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Just bought this with the $30 promo credit from SMTIV. I also got Soul Hackers...

Fuck which dungeon crawler on 3DS to play first? Atlus overloaded me!

Oxx

The EU demo is my first taste of Etrian Odyssey.

I've finished the first mission and I'm getting the sense that it might be something I could enjoy.

Even if all of the mapping icons/tools look a bit daunting. The first area just needs pencil and paintbrush at least.

I beat the final boss a few days ago, sooooo easy.

I think my party is overpowered. :p

I have to do the extras now, EO4 is a solid 8.5/10!

Can't wait to play EOMG next year, and I hope to see some major changes in EO5, mainly art-style. I'm tired of the pedo characters, the game is so deep and cool, it deserves a more mature look.

redlemon

I've been playing the demo a good bit and I'm enjoying it. People play up the difficulty and it is hard but I was expecting something much more daunting. I'm playing quite cautiously but I don't feel stressed out at all playing it. Its really reminding me how enjoyable the nuts and bolts of rpg mechanics can be.

Oxx

Really good demo. How can I not buy the game after spending so long thinking of names for my characters, guild, and ship!?

Madouu

Just finished the demo part and I'm loving the game so far, I'll be transferring my save to the full game tomorrow if it ever finishes downloading tonight (at 70% right now).

One question I have though, I've noticed there's only one save file in the demo. Is there anyway for my girlfriend to have her save file if she wants to play the game too?

Anteo

Just finished the demo part and I'm loving the game so far, I'll be transferring my save to the full game tomorrow if it ever finishes downloading tonight (at 70% right now).

One question I have though, I've noticed there's only one save file in the demo. Is there anyway for my girlfriend to have her save file if she wants to play the game too?

Sadly no, you can try using another sd card and swaping them, it should work.

Oxx

The £27.99 price @ Amazon is awful tempting, but I really, really shouldn't bite while I still have M&L and DKCR3D barely started, and Luigi's Mansion 2 unplaced.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Been playing the demo for a little bit.

Gotta say the lolitastic art style is incredibly off putting.

Still, I liked the gameplay so I will probably get it...

Exodist

My copy of this came today, UK buyer obviously. Never played the demo, never really played many first person dungeon crawlers, never played the other EO games. I'm ready. I'm sure I'll like this, it sounds good and what little of first person dungeon crawlers I've played I've really enjoyed. As long as the battle system, character development (ie how you level, your skills and all that) are good, and the difficulty is hard but fair, I should have a good time with this. Looking forward to it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Got my copy today, only 2 unclaimed copies left at the store, heh.

Went with fortress/landsknecht/dancer on the front and runemancer/sniper on the back.

Compared with the demo, the dancer is nowhere as powerful a healer as the medic, heh. Having some troubles, seen the game over screen a few times.

edit: also, I'm surprised at the lack of eurogaf hype for this one...

Nohar

I ordered it on amazon.fr the 26th August. The delivery was expected for the 3th September.
Now, amazon.fr is telling me that the estimated delivery date is the 4th October.
Obviously, I'm going to cancel my order and buy it elsewhere. I'm still trying to understand how they failed so badly (unless amazon.fr isn't the only website to have problems getting copies of the game).

Auskeek

I couldn't really experience the whole demo in 3 uses considering I play my games in short bursts and don't like to leave my 3DS in sleep mode for extended periods of time.

Didn't really like the demo, but EO4 was a game I've been keen on for a while so I'll stick with it.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Is there any place to chop wood in the first map?

Got a bunch of locked items on the shop that require wood, but can't find the nodes.

edit: lawl and just as I post, I find one wood node.

Got my copy today, only 2 unclaimed copies left at the store, heh.

Went with fortress/landsknecht/dancer on the front and runemancer/sniper on the back.

Compared with the demo, the dancer is nowhere as powerful a healer as the medic, heh. Having some troubles, seen the game over screen a few times.

edit: also, I'm surprised at the lack of eurogaf hype for this one...

That's exactly the team I had when I played, get some points into regen waltz.

I couldn't really experience the whole demo in 3 uses considering I play my games in short bursts and don't like to leave my 3DS in sleep mode for extended periods of time.

Didn't really like the demo, but EO4 was a game I've been keen on for a while so I'll stick with it.

Why the fuck does EU only get 3 Demo uses, are they stupid? it's one of the best demos of all time and they screw it up with that.... was it NIS idea? This is the game that needs some time for a player to understand and want it, I feel anyone that just plays it for like 30 minutes has no idea what's going on and why they should buy the game.

I ordered it on amazon.fr the 26th August. The delivery was expected for the 3th September.
Now, amazon.fr is telling me that the estimated delivery date is the 4th October.
Obviously, I'm going to cancel my order and buy it elsewhere. I'm still trying to understand how they failed so badly (unless amazon.fr isn't the only website to have problems getting copies of the game).

October 4.... that's a huggggeeee fuckup.

Oxx

Neither of the GAME stores I visited had the game. Not that I was expecting them to have copies, though.

I just wanted to check the price.

zavvi sent the game.. i will receive it.. someday :p
then they will send me harvest moon.. and i will receive it.. someday!
by then hopefully i'll have received my thehut order for xillia.. or worst come to worst amazon order for disgaea d2 or pokemon x/y :X
sigh

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Neither of the GAME stores I visited had the game. Not that I was expecting them to have copies, though.

I just wanted to check the price.

Looks like GAME didn't get much stock, the one closest to me got no copies at all. They redirected me to another one that had stock, and well... only 2 copies were not reserved heh.

Looks a very small first run.

Top Bottom