• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

tuffy

Right now, I'm rocking a Landshark/Fort/Sniper/Rune and an Arcanist with a Medic subclass. Trying to figure out the subclasses for my other characters, thinking about Dancer for the Fort, but I'm not so sure because I only have the Land Fort up front, with the fort mostly set up for defense and everyone else in the back.
With a Fortress/Dancer, Party Shield and Fan Dance go well together. Fan Dance can nullify 30% of all those hits you're taking for the team, but the Fortress' class skill still credits you TP for them. Plus, Quick Step can be a lifesaver when you absolutely, positively need to have someone on your side move first.
What compliments the other classes in my party the best?
Landshark/Bushi is loaded with physical attack skills so that's a safe recommendation.

Sniper/Arcanist works by using Ailment Boost and TP Return to make binds better and cheaper. While Sniper/Nightseeker works by often doubling your attacks (and yes, you can equip two bows at once).

Runemaster/Imperial is what I wound up with just for more Element Boost along with Absorber and Finisher. It's hard to find anything else that really complements elemental damage.

Ferrio

Banned
Runemaster/Imperial is what I wound up with just for more Element Boost along with Absorber and Finisher. It's hard to find anything else that really complements elemental damage.

I subbed Rune with medic. Get TP boost and an emergency revive.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
With a Fortress/Dancer, Party Shield and Fan Dance go well together. Fan Dance can nullify 30% of all those hits you're taking for the team, but the Fortress' class skill still credits you TP for them. Plus, Quick Step can be a lifesaver when you absolutely, positively need to have someone on your side move first.

Landshark/Bushi is loaded with physical attack skills so that's a safe recommendation.

Sniper/Arcanist works by using Ailment Boost and TP Return to make binds better and cheaper. While Sniper/Nightseeker works by often doubling your attacks (and yes, you can equip two bows at once).

Thanks for the advice.

I might jump back to this in a few days just so I can finish the third dungeon, then go back to SMT IV. ;)

Anyone know how I can get into the Moth's Garden? There's an FoE standing before it that just won't let me pass, and he's too strong for me to beat just yet, but I'm pretty sure the moth's garden is where I'm supposed to be next. I gather that it has something to do with messing with food and other FoEs to lure him away, but I haven't been able to figure it out.

tuffy

Anyone know how I can get into the Moth's Garden? There's an FoE standing before it that just won't let me pass, and he's too strong for me to beat just yet, but I'm pretty sure the moth's garden is where I'm supposed to be next. I gather that it has something to do with messing with food and other FoEs to lure him away, but I haven't been able to figure it out.
You'll need to feed the Dinogator a sheep to keep it occupied. And in order to feed it a sheep, you'll need to drop (or catapult) some mushroom food about midway between the sheep bouncing around nearby and the gator.

Ferrio

Banned
You'll need to feed the Dinogator a sheep to keep it occupied. And in order to feed it a sheep, you'll need to drop (or catapult) some mushroom food about midway between the sheep bouncing around nearby and the gator.

Oh that's how you do it.....

I banged my head up the wall until I finally took the ass down.

Just bought the game and I just continue it anymore

Definitely this game wasn't made for everybody

The whole everything FP and that map editor is shit

I will have to skip it cause this game is not my kind at all

Just bought the game and I just continue it anymore

Definitely this game wasn't made for everybody

The whole everything FP and that map editor is shit

I will have to skip it cause this game is not my kind at all

The game is fantastic but it takes time to get used to its mechanics, the map editor isn't shit at all.

Anyways, you should have played the demo first.

Hoodbury

Looked at my activity log and this is now my second most played game on the 3DS and first for average playtime at 2 hours 44 minutes. 41 hours already and I'm only on the second maze. Am I going super slow or is this common? 41 hours in and I still feel like I'm figuring out newbieish type of things.

It actually surprised me quite a bit, I thought I was only at like the 20 hour or 15 hour mark. Time flies when you're having fun I guess.

Anteo

Looked at my activity log and this is now my second most played game on the 3DS and first for average playtime at 2 hours 44 minutes. 41 hours already and I'm only on the second maze. Am I going super slow or is this common? 41 hours in and I still feel like I'm figuring out newbieish type of things.

It actually surprised me quite a bit, I thought I was only at like the 20 hour or 15 hour mark. Time flies when you're having fun I guess.

41 hours at the second maze! I finished the game around 70 and I'm still messing with the post game content at 96 hours!

I don't want to spoile the ammount of content in case you dont know but, yes, you are going slow.

vareon

I'm 48 hours and on the fourth land. You're going slow, but hey it's fun.

What surprised me more is your average playtime, though. Mine shows 30+ minutes--I just like starting the game, map a few place or do a quest, then turn it off again until I play it in the next 4 hours or so. 2 hours of dungeon crawling is a bit too much for me.

I'm having difficulty beating the third stratum's boss.
How do I deal with the scales? The things that'll shut them off seem completely random, and they don't seem to stay off for very long...

spiritfox

I'm having difficulty beating the third stratum's boss.
How do I deal with the scales? The things that'll shut them off seem completely random, and they don't seem to stay off for very long...

You mean the Scales during the battle right? Ice Stakes are the only thing that can break them, so bring a bunch of them into battle.

kanamechan

Then how did you finish the 3rd Stratum if you didn't know? :p

If your damage is high enough, an Ice AOE really works. That's how I beat it in my first run - I killed the thing barely, right after I got the fourth scale in the fight. I never noticed you could use those things in battle.

ohlawd

If your damage is high enough, an Ice AOE really works. That's how I beat it in my first run - I killed the thing barely, right after I got the fourth scale in the fight. I never noticed you could use those things in battle.

No, I meant you using Ice Stakes to navigate through the dungeon.

If it works in the dungeon, then surely it'd work with the scales the Lizard craps out.

Anteo

No, I meant you using Ice Stakes to navigate through the dungeon.

If it works in the dungeon, then surely it'd work with the scales the Lizard craps out.

I though it would have the same effect as hitting them with ice attacks. I never even tried to hit them with the stakes in battle.
The first time I fought the thing, I was out of stakes,so I had to figure out how to take those out in battle, so I discovered this:

Ice spells will nullify them for a few turns IIRC, but wouldn't destroy them.

I thought Stakes would do the same so never tried.

vareon

Damn you, Cradle Guardian. Only my Runemaster (and
.....Logre.....
) can dish out elemental attacks. I can chip his health to half, but I haven't figured how to deal with the face-changes yet.

Anteo

.....Logre.....
) can dish out elemental attacks. I can chip his health to half, but I haven't figured how to deal with the face-changes yet.

Try to use oils on your characters (as in Freeze Oil.,Shock Oil, Fire Oil) it will add a element to your your normal attacks. You can find them on the shop

vareon

Try to use oils on your characters (as in Freeze Oil.,Shock Oil, Fire Oil) it will add a element to your your normal attacks. You can find them on the shop

Man, I completely forgot about that. Will try.

What to do with it elemental attacks? Sometimes it hits hard, sometimes it misses entirely or does single-digit damage. I thought this was related to the damage I gave to it but it doesn't seem that way.

.....Logre.....

You can also bind his head when he gets into a favorable element so he can't swap out of it. I did it when he swapped to a phys element and just wailed on him.

redlemon

The Demo is coming out in europe today. I understand progress from the demo can be carried over to the main game so is their any party combinations I should absolutely avoid?

tuffy

The Demo is coming out in europe today. I understand progress from the demo can be carried over to the main game so is their any party combinations I should absolutely avoid?
Just about any combination is viable for the main game with enough work, but it'll go a lot easier if you don't put all your eggs in one basket, so to speak.

Have some physical damage output (like a Landshnikt), some elemental output (Runemaster), status effects or binds (Nightseeker or Sniper) and some healing (Medic or Dancer) to cover your bases. A nice broad array of capabilities will make it easier to tackle all the stuff the game's going to throw at you.

One nice thing about the game is that you'll get training manuals as time goes on. These will allow you to raise a new character up to a level that's usually around 3-5 levels below what your current characters are when you get the manual, so you have a lot more flexibility with your team lineup, and can swap out characters that are good at a lower level for ones that are better at a higher one.

A few generic tips:

-Medics aren't very good, but make the first stratum a bit easier
-The Link build is the most effective build I've seen late game (relying on a dancer making a ton of normal attacks and a Landschneckt using link attacks)
-Arcanists', specifically their poison circle ability, are ridiculously powerful once you've unlocked them
-A back-line Fortress with taunt makes the game a lot easier, providing a ridiculous amount of damage mitigation. They can even do some damage from the backline once you multiclass them into a dancer (better defense, since they get some evasion increasing abilities) or Sniper (more damage and binds).

LakeEarth

I need to return to this game. I got the ape king boss in maze 1 down to a sliver when he took me out, and I never played it again.

Anteo

Time for Scy to come and reminds us what spells are bugged. iirc the dancer evasion spell does not add evasion at all, and does not stack with the one from the nightseeker.

Madouu

I just picked up the demo and played for an hour or so and I definitely liked what I played, my first Etrian Odyssey here but I'm definitely not new to rpgs or dungeon crawlers.

There are a lot of things I've liked: it's very colorful, the map drawing is an interesting mechanic and the presentation although simple has a certain charm to it. I've got quite a few questions though concerning the game if somebody kind enough is willing to answer.

First of all, I'm concerned about how deep the combat mechanics are. I saw there were 6 classes and a nice skill tree for each class, but does it go beyond that? Are there sub-classes or jobs? Concerning skills, do they offer a lot of combat strategies and possibilities for different and creative builds? And more importantly, how is the challenge in the game?

Also, how is the story in the game? I find it very hard to play dungeon crawlers where the only motivation is going the furthest down possible. I don't really need a complicated story, a minimalist approach works very well with me as long as it makes sense and gives you clear objectives. So you have a certain sense of progress that isn't tied solely to your equipment and levels.

Finally, there have been a lot of interesting encounters in the demo with interesting characters and new gameplay mechanics, does this keep throughout the game? How long is the game? I fear it might be the kind of game that could drag on for a bit too long.

I'm sorry for the long post but this my first time playing the series and I'm considering buying the game through the $30 eshop credit I got for fe/smt. I'm also wondering if it wouldn't be better to wait for Untold rather (I'm in NA), what do you guys think?

fake edit: Are there any guides or ingame hints to what buffs/debuffs stack and which don't? I'm not the biggest fan of trial and error.

I've got quite a few questions though concerning the game if somebody kind enough is willing to answer.

3 more classes as well as subclassing unlock as you progress in the game. There are tons of different strategies you can work out.
The classes synergize very well with each other and often build off each other.

The game is pretty challenging, especially depending on your team build.
You can struggle in a dungeon then when you reset your skill points and distribute them specifically for the trouble area you'll do much better.

Story is very minimal, but I enjoyed it for what it was. It was a touch predictable. Post game's story is pretty good too.

Mechanics are introduced fairly often. As you get more skills you have new stuff to play with and new ship parts let you navigate to new areas.

I have 80 hours clocked on my activity log, but the main game took me about 50. I still haven't 100% completed it but I've played about 90% of the game.

Anteo

I just picked up the demo and played for an hour or so and I definitely liked what I played, my first Etrian Odyssey here but I'm definitely not new to rpgs or dungeon crawlers.

There are a lot of things I've liked: it's very colorful, the map drawing is an interesting mechanic and the presentation although simple has a certain charm to it. I've got quite a few questions though concerning the game if somebody kind enough is willing to answer.

First of all, I'm concerned about how deep the combat mechanics are. I saw there were 6 classes and a nice skill tree for each class, but does it go beyond that? Are there sub-classes or jobs? Concerning skills, do they offer a lot of combat strategies and possibilities for different and creative builds? And more importantly, how is the challenge in the game?

Also, how is the story in the game? I find it very hard to play dungeon crawlers where the only motivation is going the furthest down possible. I don't really need a complicated story, a minimalist approach works very well with me as long as it makes sense and gives you clear objectives. So you have a certain sense of progress that isn't tied solely to your equipment and levels.

Finally, there have been a lot of interesting encounters in the demo with interesting characters and new gameplay mechanics, does this keep throughout the game? How long is the game? I fear it might be the kind of game that could drag on for a bit too long.

I'm sorry for the long post but this my first time playing the series and I'm considering buying the game through the $30 eshop credit I got for fe/smt. I'm also wondering if it wouldn't be better to wait for Untold rather (I'm in NA), what do you guys think?

fake edit: Are there any guides or ingame hints to what buffs/debuffs stack and which don't? I'm not the biggest fan of trial and error.

Man from that post I can tell the game was made for you.
The mechanics get deeper as you get more options with the skills/clases. Many classes can be used in more than one way, and one of the best thing about this series is that status effects are actually usefull, they can even affect bosses! There is a class that can take advantage of status effects to deal huge damage, so yeah you can posion/paralize/curse/etc a boss and get extra damage on top. (My party is build around that, so yeah I land status effects on bosses pretty often, including the last main boss and the post game bosses, however is not a safe strategy as increased resistance to applied status is a thing too)

This series in know for being difficult, IV has a really good balance so most of the time if you get wiped will be by making huge mistakes on batles, not having up to date equips while facing bosses, or just using a completly wrong aproach to a enemy.

New mechanics are introduced often, changing the way you should explore a dugeon or navigate the overworld, new types of enemies with different skills may change the game for you, making your party that was steamrolling one dugeon to strugle in the next, but nothing you can't fix by using (and abusing) the rest mechanic (Rest a character to reduce its level by 2 and reset all of his/her skill points, allowing to get new skills to deal with new threats) or just aproaching fights in a different way.

A huge example is the first dugeon mechanic is all about those closed paths that can be opened by (this is in the demo, hiding in case you didnt finish it)
luring the FOE to the closed spot.

About the buff/debuffs, any character can have only 3 buffs and 3 debuffs active at the same time in battle, getting a 4th one will overwrite the oldest one. Realplying a buff/debuff will increase its duration and using a buff/debuff that does the oposite (using defense+ buff when you have a defense- debuff) will result in having none active (so you can counter some debuffs without using a spell/item to remove all negative buffs), you can press Y iirc to check the buff/debuff table for your party. You can only have one active status effect on a enemy/ally and as I said, those are surprisingly effective both for you and the enemy (so instadeath is actually a thing for both)

Edit: Oh and the demo is highly compressed (at least the usa version) so the full game will have better sound/image

Oxx

I've downloaded the demo.

It remains to be seen if I have time in my Animal Crossing schedule to play the demo, let alone the full game.

Enjolras

Neo Member
I've just picked up the demo this morning - just reached the point of getting my skyship (then I had an appointment in Animal Crossing to make). I've got two uses left of the demo, which should probably help me decide whether or not to buy the actual game, but I'm in two minds at the moment based on my initial thoughts.

This will be my first Etrian Odyssey game, so I'm not too sure what to expect later on, but is the Old Forest a representative dungeon of how the rest of the game plays out? I know that there'll be extra levels, more FOEs, and they'll be longer, but do you have to use the "looking around" mechanic much to progress in the game? (Just not a fan of d-pad to move, circle pad to look.)

Will you want to have 30 guild members? At this stage, it seems a little excessive, especially if rested guild members don't level up alongside your party.

I'm liking the turn based combat a lot, though I'm still new to working out which skills are best to work on first. (Most of the time I just went for normal attacks since I didn't want to run out of TP too early on - on that note when do you unlock TP restore items that you can buy?)

Sorry for all the questions! It's just because I'm a little short on money, and with so many games coming out in September I need to feel confident that I'll have a good time with the full game when it comes out in 2 weeks.

Madouu

Man from that post I can tell the game was made for you.

Thanks for taking the time to write up a very exhaustive reply. You've got me extremely excited for the game now! Too bad I'm at work now and can't play yet haha.

Audio being compressed in the demo is a relief as I did feel its quality was a bit lower than my expectations which I forgot to mention. Also, the deep combat mechanics and new gameplay mechanics introduced every so often are music to my ears.

Hopefully the game will have downloaded by the time I'm back home (I'm abroad and internet here is pretty shaky to say the least).

tuffy

This will be my first Etrian Odyssey game, so I'm not too sure what to expect later on, but is the Old Forest a representative dungeon of how the rest of the game plays out? I know that there'll be extra levels, more FOEs, and they'll be longer, but do you have to use the "looking around" mechanic much to progress in the game? (Just not a fan of d-pad to move, circle pad to look.)
The Old Forest is fairly representative. All the dungeons have a puzzle-like "hook" of some sort in order to keep things interesting. But the circle pad camera tilt isn't really used for anything. I think it's something they threw in because they could.
Will you want to have 30 guild members? At this stage, it seems a little excessive, especially if rested guild members don't level up alongside your party.
Since only the 5 members of your party get experience, there's little reason to use any more members than that.
I'm liking the turn based combat a lot, though I'm still new to working out which skills are best to work on first. (Most of the time I just went for normal attacks since I didn't want to run out of TP too early on - on that note when do you unlock TP restore items that you can buy?)
Resting and reallocating skills points is relatively cheap, so don't worry too much about choosing skills right the first time. You're bound to reshuffle everything eventually, especially once the veteren and master tiers open up.

TP restore items are relatively rare and probably won't be used too often. Instead, most classes have skills that restore TP (like the Fortress' class skill that returns TP when attacked). That said, running low on TP is a good sign that it's time to warp back to town, sell items and rest at the inn.
Sorry for all the questions! It's just because I'm a little short on money, and with so many games coming out in September I need to feel confident that I'll have a good time with the full game when it comes out in 2 weeks.
If you're enjoying the basics of the demo, I'm sure you'll have a great time with the whole game once it arrives.

Anteo

Thanks for taking the time to write up a very exhaustive reply. You've got me extremely excited for the game now! Too bad I'm at work now and can't play yet haha.

Audio being compressed in the demo is a relief as I did feel its quality was a bit lower than my expectations which I forgot to mention. Also, the deep combat mechanics and new gameplay mechanics introduced every so often are music to my ears.

Hopefully the game will have downloaded by the time I'm back home (I'm abroad and internet here is pretty shaky to say the least).

That's great, hope you enjoy the full game. This is a great introduction to the series and hopefully you return for untold a few months later. A couple of extra things, so you get a better start:

- Visit the bar often, you can not only get new quest, but read some hints the game gives you about the current duegon floor, encounters with enemies, how some mechanic work, etc.

- If you didnt get it by now, the shop stock is based on whatever loot you sell them and it keeps track of the stock you sold. Whenever you need a new piece of equipment/item you will need to sell the materials to the store, for some items this is not necesary. Lets say there is a "bone sword" (not an actuall item) that requires a "monster bone" (not an actual loot), for each monster bone that you sold you will be able to buy one bone sword. Some consumable items work like this too. If you highlight the item it should show how what loots and how many needs and how many the store have left.
- Forging is cheap (does not cost money, but you need to sell loot to the shop to use it). If you want to forge the "bone sword" to get extra stats the store will need a "monster bone" to do so. (Basically, you need the same amount of materiasl to forge or buy a weapon)

- Leave the dugeon to Save often, never overstay your welcome, a full team wipe can be around the corner and unless you are playing on casual, that means game over and progress lost.

- You should know this by now. FOEs are supposed to destroy you the first time you face them. So unless you are pretty confidend of your party and know that you won't lose too much progress if they kill your party, avoid them.

Enjolras

Neo Member
The Old Forest is fairly representative. All the dungeons have a puzzle-like "hook" of some sort in order to keep things interesting. But the circle pad camera tilt isn't really used for anything. I think it's something they threw in because they could.

Since only the 5 members of your party get experience, there's little reason to use any more members than that.

Resting and reallocating skills points is relatively cheap, so don't worry too much about choosing skills right the first time. You're bound to reshuffle everything eventually, especially once the veteren and master tiers open up.

TP restore items are relatively rare and probably won't be used too often. Instead, most classes have skills that restore TP (like the Fortress' class skill that returns TP when attacked). That said, running low on TP is a good sign that it's time to warp back to town, sell items and rest at the inn.

If you're enjoying the basics of the demo, I'm sure you'll have a great time with the whole game once it arrives.
Thank you for your reply! It's been very helpful for me - I'll probably pick up the full game on launch now.

Being able to reallocate skill points is great, as well as knowing that you can just get by using a core party. Cheers for the TP advice too!

I just remembered reading a lot of posts around the time it launched in the US from RPG fans who hated the core mechanics of the game, and didn't want to be one of those people who didn't understand what I was getting into.

Top Bottom