• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

Ferrio

Banned
Enter a labyrinth, guard up front goes "this place is easy, you'll just run into a fawn or two".

First match - get 1-shotted by frogs, fail to run away after ~7 attempts. And this was after I figured out how to make new armor available and increasing all my character's defense values by > 50%.

Were they FOEs? (the visible monsters outside of battles). Generally you're suppose to avoid those when you first enter a new dungeon. By the end of the dungeon you can usually take them.

just as he says.

I think retiring is great when you want to change your party or you just feel like it, but it's NEVER necessary until the post game.

Ya retiring is only really needed if you want to change a base class. You could beat post game without it too I'm sure.

LakeEarth

No, just regular enemies (2 frogs and a moth behind them). They were in the cave West of the first Maze (Forest). Probably just underlevelled.

Ferrio

Banned
No, just regular enemies (2 frogs and a moth behind them). They were in the cave West of the first Maze (Forest). Probably just underlevelled.

Moth? Is that one that sleeps or paralyzes? Status effects are no joke in this game. When I come across enemies that have evil status effects I unload upon them. I usually bust out my Flame Wall Burst + lightning rune stuff from my runemaster.

Anteo

The little frogs hit hard the first time you see them, and the moths are so annoying..
Pray you don't run into a randomb battle baboon.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
One of the very first quests you get is kill an Angry Baboon in the first labyrinth, he "stole" the communal chest or whatever, it says in the quest description. I have done that many times, killed the Baboon - and I still haven't completed the quest.

Any tips? Is he supposed to drop something special? Usually when I do something to complete a quest I get a message pop up after a battle...

Anteo

One of the very first quests you get is kill an Angry Baboon in the first labyrinth, he "stole" the communal chest or whatever, it says in the quest description. I have done that many times, killed the Baboon - and I still haven't completed the quest.

Any tips? Is he supposed to drop something special? Usually when I do something to complete a quest I get a message pop up after a battle...

Find the communal chest in the first floor, (should be around the center of the map). You will get a forced battle there with a baboon.

LakeEarth

Gah, the game fast-travels you to the Valley Spring cave surrounded by deadly Kangeroos. Even if you run or burst run, you are still trapped. And you can't have vegetables on you, because you auto-sell it if you go into the city. The only escape was to use a thread.

I don't think my build is good. I'm on level 15 and I'm still getting rocked pretty hard. Taunt is saving my life. I might bite the bullet and read up on some good builds.

EDIT - reading up, I don't think I "got" how Landsknecht's link ability works. Apparently coupled with Nightseekers double attacks, I can activate it multiple times. I just thought it was a "big" attack and nothing else.

EDIT 2 - Aww shit, there was a shortcut right near Valley Springs! I could've just used that to escape.

Ferrio

Banned
Gah, the game fast-travels you to the Valley Spring cave surrounded by deadly Kangeroos. Even if you run or burst run, you are still trapped. And you can't have vegetables on you, because you auto-sell it if you go into the city. The only escape was to use a thread.

I don't think my build is good. I'm on level 15 and I'm still getting rocked pretty hard. Taunt is saving my life. I might bite the bullet and read up on some good builds.

EDIT - reading up, I don't think I "got" how Landsknecht's link ability works. Apparently coupled with Nightseekers double attacks, I can activate it multiple times. I just thought it was a "big" attack and nothing else.

EDIT 2 - Aww shit, there was a shortcut right near Valley Springs! I could've just used that to escape.

What's your current party config? I'm almost certain you can do well with any party as long as you balance it all out.

scy

The Link skills will hit a target once for Elemental Damage and then follow up the next attack (that turn) with a smaller second Elemental hit. The Improved Link skill later on will increase the amount of triggers you can get.

LakeEarth

What's your current party config? I'm almost certain you can do well with any party as long as you balance it all out.

Landsknecht/Nightseeker/Dancer
Fortress/Medic

I think I put way too many skill points into stat boosts like L's strength and Fortress defense, Dancer's evasion, and not enough on their unique skills. Right now the dancer only has up attack and regen dance skills available, so reading up on her I've completely wasted her skillset.

Ferrio

Banned
Landsknecht/Nightseeker/Dancer
Fortress/Medic

I think I put way too many skill points into stat boosts like L's strength and Fortress defense, Dancer's evasion, and not enough on their unique skills. Right now the dancer only has up attack and regen dance skills available, so reading up on her I've completely wasted her skillset.

Okay so ya, maybe you skipped over something I said earlier about skills.

Most skills have a very steep diminishing returns. It's best to grab the first point in your skills that you plan to use before you start maxxing them out. Skills get their biggest boosts at t he first point, half way point, and final point... so you should concentrate on those if you're going to put more than 1 point in a skill.

As for your party, it's a fine make up. Putting fortress in the back is a nice strat, glad you picked up on that. So far it looks like your only trouble is you lack splash damage. Your land can eventually get some stuff for that... but that won't be for awhile. Maybe if you find a splash damage attack item? Sure it's doable.

As for the land's links.. they really won't shine until improved link.. but since it's your only source of elemental damage now it's good to have them.

Also you have medic, there's no reason you should invest into any of dancer's healing abilities.

LakeEarth

Thanks for the advice. I'm kinda learning how the system works a little too late, like how the point system works. I'll definitely try to sit down and think about what I should open up and strats I can come up with. I'm playing a bit reckless, but it's very apparent that this isn't the kind of RPG where you can do that and get by.

Ferrio

Banned
Thanks for the advice. I'm kinda learning how the system works a little too late, like how the point system works. I'll definitely try to sit down and think about what I should open up and strats I can come up with. I'm playing a bit reckless, but it's very apparent that this isn't the kind of RPG where you can do that and get by.

Don't be shy about resting your party to redo skill points. Regaining the levels takes no time at all. Someone earlier in the thread asked for advice since he was getting trashed, rested his team and redid his skills. Said the fights were 10x easier even though he was 2 levels down.

If you wanna plan your skills in advance if your crazy like you can go here

http://www.crazyuncleivans.com/eo4skillsim/EO4Skillsim.html

But like I said, no reason to plan so far in advance since resting is hardly punshing at all.

LakeEarth

Don't be shy about resting your party to redo skill points. Regaining the levels takes no time at all. Someone earlier in the thread asked for advice since he was getting trashed, rested his team and redid his skills. Said the fights were 10x easier even though he was 2 levels down.
Yup! I only rested my front line, but my team is already way more effective. I went with a blind + power down enemy strategy, which is going quite well. Sometimes I feel like I don't even need my Fortress anymore, especially for boss fights (cause they have predetermined attack patterns sometimes, like how the Red Bear always started the fight with a party-wide swipe).

And yeah, the 2 level penalty isn't the end of the world.

Ferrio

Banned
Yup! I only rested my front line, but my team is already way more effective. I went with a blind + power down enemy strategy, which is going quite well. Sometimes I feel like I don't even need my Fortress anymore, especially for boss fights (cause they have predetermined attack patterns sometimes, like how the Red Bear always started the fight with a party-wide swipe).

And yeah, the 2 level penalty isn't the end of the world.

Toward the end of the game fortess taunt pretty much becomes almost useless (too many aoe attacks). The shield skills become much more useful. But also you get subclasses unlocked so he'll always have something to do.

traveler

Not Wario
What are the best forges to go for for a Dancer and Landsknect? Is it practical to try and load up a Dancer's primary weapon with stun/death effects (6 slotter) if they are NOT subclassed Arcanist? Or should I go for raw damage? What boosts Lands dmg more- ELM or ATK?

Ferrio

Banned
g
What are the best forges to go for for a Dancer and Landsknect? Is it practical to try and load up a Dancer's primary weapon with stun/death effects (6 slotter) if they are NOT subclassed Arcanist? Or should I go for raw damage? What boosts Lands dmg more- ELM or ATK?

I loaded my dancer with status effects since they hit *alot*. Remember to only put one status effect type on the weapons though, since status effects overwrite each other. Land I'd assume benefits from ATK, I *believe* it effects their elemental damage as well... last I remember people talking about that earlier in the thread.

traveler

Not Wario
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm assuming I only want the status affects on the main hand with +atk on the offhand (since I'm using an offhand via Nightseeker for more Trick Samba, sword dance, and link procs) since the main hand weapon is the only one used during chases? Was debating between going all in with the death forge or going stun for even more stun chances with mist dance.

Ferrio

Banned
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'm assuming I only want the status affects on the main hand with +atk on the offhand (since I'm using an offhand via Nightseeker for more Trick Samba, sword dance, and link procs) since the main hand weapon is the only one used during chases? Was debating between going all in with the death forge or going stun for even more stun chances with mist dance.

Death forge rarely seemed to trigger for me. I liked paralyze the best.

esoterika

Neo Member
Thoughts on replacing Fortress with a Imperial? I feel like more Fortress just never really adds much.

My current set up is:

L/B F/M M/D

A/R S/N

I use Land + Sniper for some disgusting Links. Medic/Dancer has been pretty useful for buffs, and Archanist/Runemaster is a pretty good DD/support (thinking about reversing it to be R/A). I feel like the tanking capabilities have never really come in handy, but I was wondering if you guys thought it was necessary to keep it for the upcoming 5th+ land. Maybe Imperial/Fortress?

spiritfox

I think your front can withstand attacks, and you lack dps, so Imperials would work. However, they are offensive classes, not defensive, so a Fort sub is not the best.

UberTag

Any tips on how to tackle Fallen One or Warped Savior with my current party?

Level 77, retired once previously at Level 70.

L/R, F/D, D/N
S/A, R/I

Likely going to drop two levels for a respec and possible reclass and then grind some levels.
Build suggestions are welcomed.

L/R, F/D, D/N
S/A, R/I

Likely going to drop two levels for a respec and possible reclass and then grind some levels.

Spend some time. Get to level 99. It's fun and it will help. Those are the hardest bosses in the game.

Grind some Dragons, or feed the Shinies and slaughter them.

What are your builds?

Oh yeah- Put an Imperial up front. That's what I recommend. At least one.

Also, I have a post on my blog with a ton of info on the game. It's kind of a mess, but it could be a good reference. Feel free to follow me on twitter too.

Hope it helps. I wouldn't worry too much about builds or subclasses.

Soulhouf

L/R, F/D, D/N
S/A, R/I

Your team is fine, very offensive which is perfect for these 2 bosses.

The only thing you need is a proper skill allocations. Since you have a Landsknecht, you better maximize his link skills for example.

Other than that, these 2 bosses are beatable at your level. So, just redistribute your skills and you'll be fine.

KarmaCow

L/R, F/D, D/N
S/A, R/I

Few things about about the Fallen One.

-That full party bind/dispel attack he does is triggered by dealing 10k+ damage in a single turn when he loses 10k HP.
-He also does a massive unblockable AoE attack every 5 turns unless his head is bound or he's queued to do the full bind attack.

So you can either try to manipulate your damage output to override the AoE attack if his head isn't bound or try to take it slowly, keeping his head bound with your Sniper. You'll need about 10+ Therica As either way.

You don't have an Imperial so I don't know if you can reliably trigger the full bind using Landsknetch link madness, so maybe it's better to focus on keeping his head bound rather than trying to blitz it. If you do that, you'll definitely need the Arcanist ailment resistance reset skill.

IIRC, he mostly uses physical attacks (using his arms) for the first 10 turns and then switches to using elemental attacks (using his legs) after that.

The Fallen One is also oddly susceptible to instant death attacks so you can try to RNG it up for a lucky kill.

As for the Warped Savior, it's all about maximizing your time with the larval stage to get your party buffed up so they can quickly take out the arms in the adult form before getting dispelled. Both forms follow a set attack pattern (the adult form will loop through its attack pattern) so you can pretty reliably theorycraft your way through it. IIRC, the larval stage uses the ultimate attack on turn 7 and of course, the adult form's body is only vulnerable when it opens it's eye right before it starts attacking/dispelling.

And yea, you don't need to grind really. That high 70 range, especially with a retired party should be enough.

Soulhouf

-That full party bind/dispel attack he does is triggered by dealing 10k+ damage in a single turn.

I was never able to do more than 3000 damage per turn but I noticed that he does that bind/dispel attack when you accumulate ~10 000 damage.
So, if you do things right, you can anticipate by unbinding your party in the same turn.

I fought that boss probably more than 30 times before I figured that out.

Fallen One is the best boss in the game BTW. Warped Savior is really disappointing because either you have to fight a weak version (meh) or else he's nearly impossible to beat if you don't use the injections first time. There is no middle ground...

KarmaCow

Ah whoops, yea it's triggered when loses a set amount of HP, not directly the damage it takes.

And yea figuring how to manipulate the full bind was the breakthrough moment in that fight. The Golden Dragon's trick also took me way too long to figure out. I kept wondering why that fight was so much harder than the other dragons.

Soulhouf

Ah whoops, yea it's triggered when loses a set amount of HP, not directly the damage it takes.

And yea figuring how to manipulate the full bind was the breakthrough moment in that fight. The Golden Dragon's trick also took me way too long to figure out. I kept wondering why that fight was so much harder than the other dragons.

Which trick? I'm not aware of this.

UberTag

Thanks for the tips, guys. Was able to take The Fallen One out after an arduous battle of Supernova avoidance and deliberately pacing myself. Only got the conditional drop from him, though... so I'll have to take him down again once he respawns.

I've only taken one crack at Warped Savior with non-optimized bursts set. Didn't get blown out of the water so I'm cautiously optimistic there. Party is now up to Level 84.

Boney

Banned
So I just got to the part when I can subclass and I'm not sure what to do with my party.

Got a Fortress and a Landsketcher on front row, with a Sniper a Night Crawler and a Medic on the back row. Party's been working well although it might not have much sinergy.

tuffy

So I just got to the part when I can subclass and I'm not sure what to do with my party.

Got a Fortress and a Landsketcher on front row, with a Sniper a Night Crawler and a Medic on the back row. Party's been working well although it might not have much sinergy.
Fortress/Dancer may be an absurd mental image, but Fan Dance works with Taunt, Party Shield and Guard Mastery to occasionally nullify all those hits you're taking for the team.

Landsnarkt/Bushi is a safe mix for all those handy Bushi attack skills like Blood Surge, Ferocity and Roar. And Endure may regularly save your hide to fight another round.

Sniper/Arcanist makes good use of Ailment Boost and TP Return for binds, while Sniper/Nightseeker can use Follow Trace for just about everything (though all those skills are up at master level).

Nightseeker/Sniper could work by combining the class skill with Squall Volley by hitting an ailing enemy with lots of arrows at 200%+ damage apiece, but it works even better with a class you don't have yet.

Not sure what to recommend for a Medic, though. I think Arcanist subclassed as Medic does a better job for healing while providing a bit more offense and general-purpose support.

But since resting at the inn lets you reassign subclasses, don't be afraid to try stuff out and see what you like.

spiritfox

Just an addendum, resting at the inn does not let you reassign subclasses. You need to go to the Explorer's Guild to rest there for that, and it costs you 2 of the character's levels.

Medic also subs well with Landsharks, as Vanguard gives them the ability to use Star Drop in the beginning of the turn, boosting party damage. That also procs Initiative for more damage. But that requires you to put your Medic in the front, of course.

I'm a dummy and probably totally butchered my map for the third maze. Is there a decent guide somewhere?

The multiple entrances and staircases messed me up :/

UberTag

Thanks for the tips, guys. Was able to take The Fallen One out after an arduous battle of Supernova avoidance and deliberately pacing myself. Only got the conditional drop from him, though... so I'll have to take him down again once he respawns.

I've only taken one crack at Warped Savior with non-optimized bursts set. Didn't get blown out of the water so I'm cautiously optimistic there. Party is now up to Level 84.
Eureka!

TeamEqualia_zps90f31715.png

Time to get lost in Animal Crossing and The Last of Us!

turnbuckle

I have a few questions about special effects on weapons.

Is it possible to inflict multiple effects at once (eg. binding all three parts with one regular attack from a weapon that has each bind forged onto it)

What % chance does each point of luck contribute towards inflicting a status effect from an attack?

What % chance is there of inflicting a status effect (independent of luc) per forge slot?
i.e. Is having 4 poison slots 4 times as likely to inflict poison as having 1 poison slot on a weapon?

I'm trying to avoid FAQs because I'm having fun experimenting with my party. I'm currently goofing off with a party that has the bind chase ability on a few characters while having each of my weapons filled with various binds. I'm sure this isn't a good idea for late in the game, but it's pretty fun right now.

Oh, a few more questions:

In previous games the bosses would come back after a certain amount of days rested. I must have gone through at least a good 50+ days in-game yet the bosses from the first 2 labyrinths don't appear to be there (at least judging from my map)

Is there any predictable pattern on determining when a Dragon is going to show up?

Is there any predictable pattern on determining when those yellow FOEs that provide various stat books will show up? It seems they randomly appear after I've been going through some dungeons and they're easy to catch once I know they're there - but I don't know exactly what triggers there appearance or if they can be farmed.

Anywho, just got to the 4th area and unlocked the ability to fly a level higher. I'm really loving this game, but I have to say I miss the long strata from the previous games. The little caves are cool, but so far the first three labyrinths have been pretty tiny compared to what I'm used to in this series.

Question bout the boss at the end of maze 3

Do the heat scales reset if I leave the dungeon? IE can I destroy them all including the large one, use a thread to rest up and come back and take on the boss or does it all have to destroy them all in one attempt?

Thanks

Anteo

Do the heat scales reset if I leave the dungeon? IE can I destroy them all including the large one, use a thread to rest up and come back and take on the boss or does it all have to destroy them all in one attempt?

Thanks

The only thing I remember about it is that those follow the same rules as the other scales in other floors. So huge scales stay down, others reset iirc.

Thanks

The small ones reset when you leave and come back. However, if you destroy the large one, none of them will come back. After enough in-game days has passed the large one will return, along with the small ones.

Gonna start playing this tonight. EXCITE

I noticed the OP has a list of QR Codes, but I'm guessing it's not up to date? Do we have a really good Wiki or something?

Top Bottom