• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan |OT|: Fight & Heal Brings 3D To Europe!

This game, wow! I just finished the second labyrinth by the skin of my teeth. Crazy

Anyway, is there any reason to bring a Sniper or Dancer into my crew with a training scroll going into the third area?

spiritfox

This game, wow! I just finished the second labyrinth by the skin of my teeth. Crazy

Anyway, is there any reason to bring a Sniper or Dancer into my crew with a training scroll going into the third area?

What's your party? If you're using Snipers for binds Arcanists would be better for that.

So when you rest, you start at level 1, but you have all of your skill points back +2?

Resting lowers the character's levels by 2 but resets all your skill allocations. What you're thinking of is retiring, and that replaces the character with a new one, at half the level, but with additional skill points and attributes based on the level of the old character.

Hey EOGAF, I've been sorta interested on this game for ages, but only just now downloaded the demo. It seems ro scratch my loot/exploration bone, but before pulling the trigger I'd like to know if theres any noteworthy end-game content, or alternatively if the story pick up later.

Anteo

Hey EOGAF, I've been sorta interested on this game for ages, but only just now downloaded the demo. It seems ro scratch my loot/exploration bone, but before pulling the trigger I'd like to know if theres any noteworthy end-game content, or alternatively if the story pick up later.

The story is pretty barebones and is not the focus of the game. Is just there to justify the exploring here and there but that's it. In fact most of the time the story progresses between the end of a dugeon and the begining of the next one. The post game content is not that big in this one compared to other entries but is still enough to add 10-15 hours. If you want a EO with a deeper story wait for Milenium Girl.

The story is pretty barebones and is not the focus of the game. Is just there to justify the exploring here and there but that's it. In fact most of the time the story progresses between the end of a dugeon and the begining of the next one. The post game content is not that big in this one compared to other entries but is still enough to add 10-15 hours. If you want a EO with a deeper story wait for Milenium Girl.

Eh, I may get this regardless; millenium girl will probably be due in 2014 in EU, if even...so yeah :/

CaptainMoose

Neo Member
Glad you Europeans finally get to play this awesome game. I actually just started the Untold demo. Hope you guys don't have to wait so long for this one. The gameplay in Untold seems easier (with things like floor jumping added in) but the fleshed out story is really nice.

Watashiwa

I'm building my party for the postgame content. Landsknecht/Dancer, Fortress/Medic, Sniper/Arcanist, Runemaster/Landsknecht (I don't remember what I was doing with that one...) and Arcanist/Nightseeker.

They're all level 35 but I get the feeling that I could have done better with their sub-classes. Anyone have a favorite build to recommend?

tuffy

I'm building my party for the postgame content. Landsknecht/Dancer, Fortress/Medic, Sniper/Arcanist, Runemaster/Landsknecht (I don't remember what I was doing with that one...) and Arcanist/Nightseeker.

They're all level 35 but I get the feeling that I could have done better with their sub-classes. Anyone have a favorite build to recommend?
Landsknecht/Dancer seems fine for skills like Sword Dance, though Landsknecht/Runemaster is popular for link-heavy builds since Runemaster has a lot of element boosters.

Fortress/Dancer is a popular combo because Fan Dance can nullify some of those hits you're taking for the team.

Sniper/Arcanist can eventually make use of Ailment Boost to get binds to land better, so no problems there.

I usually go Runemaster/Imperial to make use of Element Boost, Absorber and Finisher, but you may not be to that point yet in the game.

Arcanist/Medic is a popular choice because it combines the Arcanist's powerful Circle Boon and Dismiss Heal with Medic-specific skills like Recovery, Treat and Revive.

That's just a few ideas, though. Feel free to use whatever works for you.

What's your party? If you're using Snipers for binds Arcanists would be better for that.

Party is Land, Fortress, Nightseeker / Medic, Runemaster. It's worked pretty well so far but I 100% would not have finished the last boss without the Arcanist's binds which makes me think I need one (or a Sniper) going forward. The problem is I don't know who to get rid of.

Anteo

Party is Land, Fortress, Nightseeker / Medic, Runemaster. It's worked pretty well so far but I 100% would not have finished the last boss without the Arcanist's binds which makes me think I need one (or a Sniper) going forward. The problem is I don't know who to get rid of.

The thing about Etrian is that is designed so you are always missing at least one character class in your setup. I had the same party all the way to the last dugeon and strugled with some enemies that have high avo, but had easier battles with many others.

Ferrio

Banned

My two favorite builds (unfrotunately they don't qualify for your current party):

Nightseeker/Arcanist and Dancer/Nightseekers are god damned bloodthirsty.

Night/Arc is all about landing a status effect and shadow biting. The damage is insane.

Dancer/Night is all about hitting forever. Give them a status weapon (paralyze/stun) watch them go to town once you have both trick/chase samba up.

The thing about Etrian is that is designed so you are always missing at least one character class in your setup. I had the same party all the way to the last dugeon and strugled with some enemies that have high avo, but had easier battles with many others.

That's just mean, haha. My damage output now is pretty good when I've got a status effect plus an elemental rune/links. The only two that don't seem to really do anything other than fulfil their roles (get hit/heal) are Fortress and Medic. Medic is especially useless since his TP finishes first every single time and all he does is heal, at least if he had buffs even. Can't wait until subclasses unlock.

spiritfox

Drop your Medic for a Arcanist and wait for sub-classing to sub it Med.

When in doubt, Bushi (as a subclass).

Ugh, Labyrinth 3 took me more than the first 2 combined. Glad its over

I'm thinking about retiring a couple of my level 40 dudes. Is there a good way to grind back up to that point that doesn't take too long?

redcrayon

Frontline fortress/medic is good fun- every time you get hit you get TP back for healing/reviving, although the Fortress/dancer is also good for taunt/high defence/avoid. A back line sniper/fortress also works for taunt/reduced damage for being at the back.

I love the EO games, so many good options and cross-class strategies.

MLH

So I got this game.

What should I do?

Ever play an EO game before? It more important to go in with a plan, know how your team will be built/ grow. I spent ages looking at the skill calculator to determine the best build.
Here is what I went with:

Fortress/ Dancer/ Nightseeker
Runemaster/ Medic

I switched the Medic with an Arcanist once I unlocked them, they had better synergy with my party, focus on Binds and some heals subclassed Medic.
(Probably a good idea to put the Nightseeker or Dancer in the back row for the first few levels, stops them from being one-shot)

An idea of skill point distribution, omitted subclasses for now:
(Calculator can be found here http://www.crazyuncleivans.com/eo4skillsim/tabbed.html)
Main Class: Fortress - Focus on Defensive skills.
Proficiency: 1/1
Expertise: 1/1
Enlightenment: 1/1
Iron Wall: 10/10
Taunt: 3/4
Strike Guard: 6/6
Ally Shield: 3/6
Line Shield: 3/6
Healing Wall: 8/8
Party Shield: 3/6
Weak Shield: 2/6
Guard Mastery: 8/8

Main Class: Dancer - Main Healer in Late Game
Enlightenment: 1/1
Fan Dance: 10/10
Regen Waltz: 9/10
Refresh Waltz: 8/8
Sword Dance: 10/10
Freedom Waltz: 4/4
Healing Step: 4/10

Main Class: Nightseeker - Focus on Ailments for increased damage, Spread Throw is great.
Sand Throw: 6/6
Nerve Throw: 2/6
Sleep Throw: 2/6
Curse Throw: 2/6
Spread Throw: 4/4
Speed Boost: 10/10
Venom Throw: 6/6
Auto-Spread: 6/6
Sub Class: Arcanist

Main Class: RuneMaster - Elemental Damage Dealer
Fire Rune: 1/6
Ice Rune: 1/6
Volt Rune: 1/6
Fireball Rune: 2/10
Ice Lance Rune: 2/10
Lightning Rune: 2/10
Runic Gleam: 6/6
Flame Rune: 2/8
Glacier Rune: 2/8
Storm Rune: 2/8
Runic Shield: 2/4
Runic Guidance: 6/6
Free Energy: 6/6
Runic Flare: 10/10
Rune Mastery: 8/8

I never really felt the need of having a Medic in EOIV, it just seemed like a waste of a slot compared to just having a dancer for healing... or an Arcanist later on.

The most "standard" build that I can think about is:

L/F/D
R/S

But you can go with whatever you want, I highly recommend a Fortress if you've never played EO before.

MLH

I never really felt the need of having a Medic in EOIV, it just seemed like a waste of a slot compared to just having a dancer for healing... or an Arcanist later on.

The most "standard" build that I can think about is:

L/F/D
R/S

But you can go with whatever you want, I highly recommend a Fortress if you've never played EO before.

Yep, I thrown the Medic out quickly, it was just there to help me for the first few levels, until I unlocked the Arcanist. The cheap but strong heals, revive and status heals are all pretty worthwhile, but it doesn't offer much late game.

Arcanist (Sub: Medic) and Dancer work well together Regen Waltz + Circle Boon means I never need waste turns casting heals, front line is always healed 100% at the end of the turn. I also use Healing Wall on Fortress for an emergency heal, probably wasted points but I've found it useful.
My team mainly focused on last-ability, over the 'Glass Cannon' model. But both work well.

spiritfox

Yep, I thrown the Medic out quickly, it was just there to help me for the first few levels, until I unlocked the Arcanist. The cheap but strong heals, revive and status heals are all pretty worthwhile, but it doesn't offer much late game.

Arcanist (Sub: Medic) and Dancer work well together Regen Waltz + Circle Boon means I never need waste turns casting heals, front line is always healed 100% at the end of the turn. I also use Healing Wall on Fortress for an emergency heal, probably wasted points but I've found it useful.
My team mainly focused on last-ability, over the 'Glass Cannon' model. But both work well.

Nah, Glass Cannons are a B/N/I front line. A Fortress can pretty much take damage for the entire team unless they get hit with AOEs. Either pick up a Dancer or a Arcanist/Med for healing and buffs/debuffs and you can task the rest of the party to hit stuff hard. Having all 3 takes out a lot of DPS for a negligible addition to defense. It's still viable, just stuff dies much slower.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Yeah, this game is pretty fun, but I think I just wasted some of my time. Rested my team too early at lvl 8-9 and now I can't really level quickly other than to do some grinding.

Also, my team so far...

Fortress/dancer
Medic/sniper/arcanist

Anything I can do to improve?

First EO, but it's been fun.

Yeah, this game is pretty fun, but I think I just wasted some of my time. Rested my team too early at lvl 8-9 and now I can't really level quickly other than to do some grinding.

Also, my team so far...

Fortress/dancer
Medic/sniper/arcanist

Anything I can do to improve?

First EO, but it's been fun.

wait, how did you get there so quickly? and even more important, isn't your damage output pretty low with that team?

i'm playing this on casual

having finished the first game (meaning, the main game, not the post-game-end-boss) and getting good on the second game, i wanted to experience this one on a more leisurly level so chose casual

it's great, but admittedly maybe a tad too easy, having also ordered Soul Hackers (and having MH3 and Fire Emblem on the backlog), the 3DS surely has eradicated it's slow start

i'm playing this on casual

having finished the first game (meaning, the main game, not the post-game-end-boss) and getting good on the second game, i wanted to experience this one on a more leisurly level so chose casual

it's great, but admittedly maybe a tad too easy, having also ordered Soul Hackers (and having MH3 and Fire Emblem on the backlog), the 3DS surely has eradicated it's slow start

I wonder why.

Verilligo

Ah, I thought the exp burst is something else entirely.

Yeah I think I'll just go grind.

It is, you eventually gain a Burst skill (as part of the story I think) that increases your exp gained after a battle. Only useable once per fight, but it's a pretty significant boost.

Ah, I thought the exp burst is something else entirely.

Yeah I think I'll just go grind.

You should be ok once you add a Land or Nightseeker, I'd suggest Land because they complement the rest of the party better. Your only real damage dealers you had before were the Runemaster (which doesn't get really good until a little later and requires lots of TP) and the Sniper which isn't particularly strong either. I didn't have to explicitly grind until I started retiring character which was like 30-something hours in. Just keep at it

Also, remember to look for food in the overworld. You can either eat them for pretty good stat bonuses (especially gold food) or to help out those little blimps that you see occasionally. They give you some pretty useful items.

Morokh

Micromania (one of the biggest retailers here in France if not the biggest) has the game listed as being out today and avialable in stores, so I guess it's finally out in Europe ! :eek:

Top Bottom