• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey Untold: The Millennium Girl |OT| B4 Fight & Heal, There Was Frederica

Haven't had a chance to try the demo yet, but I can see there's a couple of complaints about the voice acting in this thread. Is it in English, Japanese, or do you have the option for both? I'm really looking forward to trying story mode in this game, so I hope the voices aren't too intolerable.

Atlus games don't do dual audio.

vall03

This is why I sometimes hate going digital, you have to wait for release schedules from digital stores, add also that you're at the mercy of timezones. Want to play the game early too... *sigh*

knkng

Only English, you can also play(not in the demo) the classic mode that has no VA.

Already own/played the original for DS, I'm mostly just coming back for the story mode. :)

Atlus games don't do dual audio.

That's what I figured (to both of you). Honestly though, I thought the voice acting for Soul Hackers and SMT4 was top notch, so hopefully it's good here too. Just as long as they don't try too hard to do "little girl" voices. That never seems to come out well in English. :p

TrickRoom

Trying the demo, the one thing that really stood out to me was how much the voice acting and characterization added to the experience in battles and labyrinth event spots. Watching these guys talk back and forth in the beginning parts of the game wasn't my cup of tea, though.

Polygon released its review earlier today, and it's so full shit.

Slightly modified version? Terrain you've already mapped before? Come on. I should probably relax, but shoddy reviews really grinds my gears. 6/10 my ass.

I dunno, I kinda agree with Philip Kollar's assessment of the characters and plot based off of my experience with the demo. They've turned Etrian Odyssey into a much more stereotypical and easier jrpg to attract a new/larger/different audience. It's also a remake of a game that really isn't all that old either.

GeekyDad

Trying the demo, the one thing that really stood out to me was how much the voice acting and characterization added to the experience in battles and labyrinth event spots. Watching these guys talk back and forth in the beginning parts of the game wasn't my cup of tea, though.

Yeah, I agree. I'm surprised to say the demo is growing on me. Out of boredom for something new to play on my 3DS, I've been spending a good bit of time with the demo, and I think I may have changed my mind. I can't really get excited about another Pokemon RPG, and RF4 is a DS game on 3DS (sorry, not gonna support that -- the first two were enough for me, anyway), yet I still need a 3DS RPG to keep me going for a while. Exhausted SMTIV, Overclocked and Awakening, so this is looking a whole lot better to me now. But before I do that, though, I wanna know peoples' honest opinion of this vs. EOIV.

One thing I'm really loving so far is how fast you can make battles/walking go. I set everything to "Hyper" and I'm never turning back.

Hyoukokun

I'm not huge with Rune Factory, but I see the appeal, Harvest Moon with waifus!
The Harvest Moon series has actually always had those (save for the first two GB titles, I think).

On topic: looking forward to this. The voice acting in the demo didn't bug me as much as I thought it would, based on the trailers. I've felt for a while that EO1 needed a remake simply due to the big interface improvements in the later games (ability to sidestep, lots of menu shortcuts and tweaks, etc.).

Kazerei

Banned
I dunno, I kinda agree with Philip Kollar's assessment of the characters and plot based off of my experience with the demo. They've turned Etrian Odyssey into a much more stereotypical and easier jrpg to attract a new/larger/different audience. It's also a remake of a game that really isn't all that old either.

Yeah alot of the reviewers weren't too thrilled by the characters and plot. But calling Untold "a slightly modified version" and saying "terrain you've already mapped before" is like factually untrue.

spiritfox

Yeah alot of the reviewers weren't too thrilled by the characters and plot. But calling Untold "a slightly modified version" and saying "terrain you've already mapped before" is like factually untrue.

A lot of the maps are very similar in design, and most of the gameplay mechanics are similar, albeit updated to EOIV standards. I understand where he is coming from, as someone who has played all the games. The only reason I'm still buying this is because the story mode might be interesting enough to run through, though the demo didn't really light my world on fire.

But I also always wanted an updated EO1 anyway, since it's so hard to go back to the original games after being spoiled by the QOL improvements in the later games. That and I'm a sucker for more EO.

scy

"Slightly modified version" feels like it's underselling the vast amount of core mechanic changes that the game has undergone.

Roubjon

Sorry about being off topic, but is there an OT for Rune Factory 4 begin made? Is there any way to check? I completely forgot about its existence and after looking up some videos for it, it looks pretty neat. Idk, I might actually get that instead of this. I have so many challenging and complex jrpgs on 3DS I haven't finished and I think I could use a more relaxed/easier game to balance it out.

Don't hate me.

I'm actually playing EO1 right now for DS and I'm trying to figure out why this game has a reputation for being so difficult. I mean at the beginning you have to grind a little bit and there is the shock when you meet your first FOE on level 2. However, I'm at B21 now, all my characters are in the mid-50s and haven't really gotten to any difficult parts in the game since maybe the first stratum?

Partially it may be because of Immunize, but I think the main reason the game is considered hard is because they don't really explain many of the skills and what they do. I haven't used a walkthrough at all, but I have used a skill guide that says exactly what all the skills do at each level. Half the skills in the game are useless, and others are useless if you don't train them up to a certain point, and you will often waste skill points if you train skills in between levels 1, 5 or 10. How are you supposed to figure out any of this from the vague in-game descriptions? It seems more of a flaw in the game design rather than any built-in difficulty.

KarmaCow

That's generally the difficulty curve of EO games and some people get scared off by the wall that is the steep curve at the beginning.

Immunize does trivialize boss fights though.

Dresden

Sorry about being off topic, but is there an OT for Rune Factory 4 begin made? Is there any way to check? I completely forgot about its existence and after looking up some videos for it, it looks pretty neat. Idk, I might actually get that instead of this. I have so many challenging and complex jrpgs on 3DS I haven't finished and I think I could use a more relaxed/easier game to balance it out.

Don't hate me.

Check this thread -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=450653

- and volunteer if no one signed up.

aett

Definitely going to wait for a sale to get this one. I'm still burnt out on Etrian Odyssey games - I played EO3 last year and this year, and EO4 this year. Besides, Atlus put EO4 on sale (on the eshop) just a few months after release and now it's even cheaper at GameStop and it's only been seven months.

I don't have any other games I'm currently playing through, and actually no PC or internet at my apartment. So...there are other 3DS games i'm interested in, both retail and downloadables, like Pokemon, TNMT, Batman, RF4, and recently released on the eshop like Steamworld dig and Harmoknight. However, i'm partially convinced the original 3DS looks better for some games, although obviously the gameplay is the same. The only thing is the screen is a bit reflective, and I've heard about the screen scratching. Anyways this is the next game I am planning on playing through on my XL and really excited about having something new to play. Etrian Odyssey is a tried and true series for me, so I'm sure I'll have a blast with this one. ^^

The fascinating thing about the EO series and other games like it are that the essential gameplay elements of Wizardry 1 back from 1981 have virtually remained unchanged.

ohlawd

the art of EO is fantastic but man i wish the gameplay clicked with me
just remembered an old EOIV thread where some dude criticized the art but liked the demo. You got it flipped :3

I think that same dude posted in here too lols. Ahh don't hurt me.

spiritfox

CWBBvBw.jpg

Welp.

ohlawd

She is.

And she looks tan (with the ever holy grail of tan lines) in it too... (from the ATLUS unboxing video)

pefKATK.png
No, just no. Atrocious. I'm gonna vomit.

uniform tan girls (the best, no debate) > tan girls with visible lines >>>> non-tan girls with clearly visible tan lines (Ricky has this one in that pic)

Ken

not a turn-based rpg fan? or is it the mazes you do not click with?

I like turn-based RPGs buuuuut I don't like

1. The whole not seeing your characters thing in battle. It feels very unrewarding? Like, I want to see my characters punch and shoot stuff but all I get is the monster shaking! It kind of turned me off from SMTIV too but at least I got to see my character while exploring.
2. The world map and the airship stuff. Feels kind of slow and not fun.

I thiiiink I'm okay with mazes but it's not really a selling point or a turn off.

Kazerei

Banned
I like turn-based RPGs buuuuut I don't like

1. The whole not seeing your characters thing in battle. It feels very unrewarding? Like, I want to see my characters punch and shoot stuff but all I get is the monster shaking! It kind of turned me off from SMTIV too but at least I got to see my character while exploring.
2. The world map and the airship stuff. Feels kind of slow and not fun.

I thiiiink I'm okay with mazes but it's not really a selling point or a turn off.

EO Untold doesn't have any world map / airship stuff by the way, that was just in EOIV. And EOIII had something kinda similar but it was optional.

Top Bottom