• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU and Japan to agree on trade deal next week

Xando

Japan and the EU are set to sign a sweeping free trade deal next week after talks in Tokyo made significant progress on the sensitive areas of cheese and car parts.

Although the negotiations broke up around 9pm on Saturday in Tokyo without a formal deal, officials signalled that their political leaders would be able to reach an agreement at a summit on July 6.

A deal would be an emphatic rejection of US President Donald Trump’s protectionism on the eve of next week’s G20 summit in Hamburg. It would send a message that the liberal world order is still in business and that those who reject it risk losing out on trade opportunities.

“We are almost there,” said Cecilia Malmström, the EU trade commissioner. “We have sufficient convergence so that our officials can discuss in the coming days to iron out the remaining details.”

“I am quite confident that the leaders can agree on the summit decided for next week . . . and give their blessing.”

The Japanese side was more cautious. “There has been meaningful progress but significant issues are still outstanding,” said Fumio Kishida, the Japanese foreign minister. But he said he was considering flying to Brussels to continue the talks.

Europe and Japan have been discussing a trade pact since 2013, coming close to a deal last December before the talks lost momentum.

A deal would slash European tariffs on Japanese cars and parts, opening new markets for the likes of Toyota, and potentially affecting the competitiveness of British car factories following Brexit.

In return, Japan would cut its tariffs on food, opening up lucrative markets for European farmers to sell products such as cheese and meat.

“The package that we hope to conclude next week will tear down almost all custom duties between us and that is worth a lot of money,” said Ms Malmström. “We hope that we can triple our agricultural exports and EU exports to Japan overall could be boosted one-third.”

She said that both sides needed to “check with our respective leaders and constituencies” what they had agreed and the package was “not finally there”.

One important issue that remains outstanding is investment protection, where Japan has had difficulty coming to terms with the European system of investment courts, which was also controversial in the EU’s recent deal with Canada.
More here:
https://www.ft.com/content/c2696826-5e67-11e7-91a7-502f7ee26895

If i'm not mistaken this is the first trade agreement between two of the big four economies.

Blablurn

Love to hear stuff like this. Protectionism is not the solution right now. Many countries have benefitted from globalization. Now its not the time to turn your back on it.

Khaz

Cheaper spare parts for my Toyota, all while introducing the Japanese to the wonders of European cheese and meats? I support it.

Maybe I'm conflating things that aren't true, but I feel like Trump has really given international cooperation between reasonable, Western countries a shot in the arm.

European leaders have never been so vocal I their calls for cooperation and integration.

Love it.

Even that orange shit stain has a silver lining. Yay.

Aizo

Banned
Give me cheaper cheese. Yes, please.
So much cheese in Japan is just "cheese," and not any listed type. Maybe there's the qualifier "meltable," but that tells you nothing about the taste.

Drencrom

Give me cheaper cheese. Yes, please.
So much cheese in Japan is just "cheese," and not any listed type. Maybe there's the qualifier "meltable," but that tells you nothing about the taste.

I'm not even a big cheese fan or anyhthing, but just reading that pisses me off. The cheese selection must be nonexistant.

avaya

With this deal the likelihood of the Japanese car makers moving their operations wholesale to the continent is now moving from "quite high" to almost certain.

Not that I will care for the morons in Sunderland who voted leave, you voted to make yourself unemployed.

Condom

Dumb investment court system still there, don't even have the energy right now to counter the globalization is paradise' people since that would need a lecture on global capital/kosmopolitians and the local citizens.

Famassu

Love to hear stuff like this. Protectionism is not the solution right now. Many countries have benefitted from globalization. Now its not the time to turn your back on it.
There have been many reasons to oppose at least the kind of trade deals between NA Canada <-> EU that have been proposed other than protectionism & anti-globalization. Those deals would basically make EU countries playthings of big corporations (even moreso than they already are) and cause a lot of issues to millions of people's jobs'. Not sure about this Japanese one, if it's as bad as the ones with Canada & NA, haven't followed it too closely.

fantomena

Im for protectionism in order to protect local markeds and our farmers and Im glad we've done so far. Self preservation is very important for me and seemingly most people in my country.

We're only members of the EEA and the support for EEA is dropping, slowly, but steady according to some numbers I read a month ago.

Nikodemos

Dumb investment court system still there, don't even have the energy right now to counter the globalization is paradise' people since that would need a lecture on global capital/kosmopolitians and the local citizens.
As long as no garbage-ass American companies, laws/regs or courts are involved, I'm not too alarmed. That was the issue when discussing the US/Canada deals; there's always the American fascist (as in direct political support of the state for corporations) turd floating in the pool.

Besides, what Japanese company would dare sue the Competition Directorate or the ECJ? It'd be like a cockroach picking a fight with a giant hornet.

I'm curious, does this sort of deal have to be ratified by the member states, or not?

If so, I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Downing Street at the moment.

US/UK in the front. EU in the back:

Rr6o2TX.gif

Shiggy

The court system as suggested by the EU is still better than the secret tribunals that Japan wants.

Izuna

Banned
Also! German festivals might have REAL sausages for once. Everything won't taste like canned hot dogs &#128525;

Aegus

Serious question, if Brexit wasn't a thing how would this have affected the Whisky industry in both countries?

avaya

Will we get another Belgium showdown this time? That was quite something.

It shouldn't matter, the agreement is far more powerful when you have full sign on ratified by all member states. It eliminates any argument the morons have that the EU is somehow undemocratic.

Izuna

Banned
Yeah, what is it with Japanese cuisine and charcuterie?

Dude, taste an expensive af frankfurter at one of these events and tell me you don't feel sorry that no one has ever tasted a real sausage.

I'm just happy it ain't US pork. That shit gets labelled heavily and left in the stores XD

Joni

Will we get another Belgium showdown this time? That was quite something.

Likely not. Walloon government is in shambles at the moment.

No please, at this rate the only time we make international news it's for racist cartoons or the walloons

At least we didn't make international news for politicians getting paid using donations for the homeless. No idea why that was ignored internationally.

Considering how much high quality cheese, cars, whiskey, speciality/artisan foods and more esoteric goods Japan wants that the U.K. produces, Brexit leaving Britain out in the cold on this deal just further drives home what a monumental fuck up the people and government here has, and continues to have, made.

I'd bet my arse on this getting basically no media coverage over here though. There can be as many negative consequences as you like to Brexit, but if the general public isn't told about it it may as well not exist.

ss1

Neo Member
If Japan can export cars to the EU tariff free, what's the point of the Japanese car firms being in the U.K. post Brexit?

avaya

Considering how much high quality cheese, cars, whiskey, speciality/artisan foods and more esoteric goods Japan wants that the U.K. produces, Brexit leaving Britain out in the cold on this deal just further drives home what a monumental fuck up the people and government here has, and continues to have, made.

I'd bet my arse on this getting basically no media coverage over here though. There can be as many negative consequences as you like to Brexit, but if the general public isn't told about it it may as well not exist.

http://survation.com/conservative-p...dies-public-mood-continues-shift-soft-brexit/

If Japan can export cars to the EU tariff free, what's the point of the Japanese car firms being in the U.K. post Brexit?

You already know the answer.

Ac30

Likely not. Walloon government is in shambles at the moment.

At least we didn't make international news for politicians getting paid using donations for the homeless. No idea why that was ignored internationally.

The samusocial scandal is a very local thing - the only reason we'd hear of something similar in say, Illinois, is because most people on this board are American.

Still very shitty either way.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
I'm not even a big cheese fan or anyhthing, but just reading that pisses me off. The cheese selection must be nonexistant.

There are goudas, and other cheeses but the price-quantity-quality ratio is horrible.

The processed cheese slices make me angry every friggin day. Can't make anything nice with those.

Costco helps though a bit. More cheese with ok prices.

Top Bottom