• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU and Japan to agree on trade deal next week

G.ZZZ

how's the market for olive oil in Japan?

As far as i know, japanese don't like smelly oil. They prefer odorless processed ones. So i guess olive oil isn't so hot.

Also it's so hard to find really good olive oil even here in Italy it's maddening.

Extremely impressed by the Japanese. They've leveraged tariffs and subsidies almost as well as the masters of this approach (US and UK). Now they're rich, powerful, and making deals all on their own after building their industries up. Japan has come a long way from their default in 1942.

Theonik

No, who got the idea in the first place? Same for TTIP, particularly the ISDS proposal. "Elected representatives" doesn't mean shit.
Ok regarding the reviewing and ratifying parts.
The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Her Majesty's Government.

As far as i know, japanese don't like smelly oil. They prefer odorless processed ones. So i guess olive oil isn't so hot.

Also it's so hard to find really good olive oil even here in Italy it's maddening.
Should be buying your Olive Oil from Greece tbh.

oti

Banned

Italian Olive Oil?

Please.

Throw away that trash and get Greek Olive Oil.

G.ZZZ

The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Her Majesty's Government.

Olive Oil from southern countries is garbo.

The one that grow in more mild mountainous climate is out of this world good (and cost like three times as much but cost ain't a problem for me).

No, who got the idea in the first place? Same for TTIP, particularly the ISDS proposal. "Elected representatives" doesn't mean shit.
People working for the government? How do you think laws and treaties are made exactly? Someone at a government organisation thinks about it, researches it, discusses it, negotiates with other parties, etc, etc, etc. That is how government functions.

KooopaKid

Banned
You can feel free to answer my question.
But it does sound like you just hate that they decided something, without considering what was decided.

Well after TTIP, I'm very cautious of any EU agreements. This one needs to be reviewed in details. Really fed up of lobbying and conflict of interests.

People working for the government? How do you think laws and treaties are made exactly? Someone at a government organisation thinks about it, researches it, discusses it, negotiates with other parties, etc, etc, etc. That is how government functions.

It's the how and why we have to be careful about. "Representatives" switch between private and public jobs very often nowadays.

RocknRola

Italian Olive Oil?

Please.

Throw away that trash and get Greek Olive Oil.

Pfffft.

Portuguese Olive Oil wins awards AND has literally gold in it :v
azeite-ouro-liquido.jpg

Beat that! :p

---

The one that grow in more mild mountainous climate is out of this world good (and cost like three times as much but cost ain't a problem for me).

I legit lol'd mate.

Good stuff.

Jasup

You could easily go and check it:
In 2013 EU governments instructed the European Commission to start negotiations with Japan.
http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/in-focus/eu-japan-economic-partnership-agreement/

If you want a flowchart of who did what, you can find it too
japan-eu_how-it-works_en.jpg

source: http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/in...partnership-agreement/meetings-and-documents/

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

They probably are.

Big Italian brands are known for importing foreign olive oil (mostly from Greece and Spain) and bottling it as "Italian" using some rather devious labeling.

Spanish brands keep fuming at Italian firms for selling largely Spanish made oil as Italian at exotic prices, particularly abroad.

Hush.

oti

Banned
Also, for those not in the know, this is Europe :p This is how Europe, at the lack of a better term, "Europes" 99% of the time hehe.

"Muh stuff is better than urs! Fite me!" xD

Greek Olive Oil and Feta cheese is legit better than 99% of all the other European garbage though.

Well after TTIP, I'm very cautious of any EU agreements. This one needs to be reviewed in details. Really fed up of lobbying and conflict of interests.

It's the how and why we have to be careful about. "Representatives" switch between private and public jobs very often nowadays.

You asking "who decided", which kind of betrays your bias. Could have asked about the agreement itself. Which is the truly important part.
If this deal is beneficial to farmers, beneficial for peoples in general, then who cares about the how and why?

Also, quotation marks around representatives? Come on.

Greek Olive Oil and Feta cheese is legit better than 99% of all the other European garbage though.
Styrian Pumpkin Seed Oil. Now there's proper taste.

RocknRola

They probably are.

Big Italian brands are known for importing foreign olive oil (mostly from Greece and Spain) and bottling it as "Italian" using some rather devious labeling.

Spanish brands keep fuming at Italian firms for selling largely Spanish made oil as Italian at exotic prices, particularly abroad.

Tbf, ya'll sorta do it to with Portuguese olives, though in a slightly different way.

Spanish producers have been buying terrains in Alentejo, producing the olives there , then shipping them back to Spain and selling them as "Spanish".

Kinda cheating the whole point of a natural produce being made in X country, but it's legal I guess (not sure, I'm assuming it is, seems kind of a very specific situation to be covered by a general law IMO).

Long read in PT if you're interested:
https://www.publico.pt/2016/11/20/sociedade/noticia/o-ouro-verde-tambem-chega-do-alentejo-e-os-andaluzes-estao-muito-contentes-com-a-expansao-1751072

Portugal é garantia de qualidade

Já sobre o facto de parte de o azeite produzido em Portugal acabar por ir para Espanha a granel, e algum dele poder ser vendido como sendo um produto feito nesse país, Robles não vê qualquer problema. “Estamos na União Europeia, não há nenhuma ilegalidade”, afirma.

“Acredito que a maior parte da produção fica em Portugal, mas é natural que alguma venha para Espanha. Somos o maior produtor mundial de azeite, mas também importamos, porque a procura ultrapassa a oferta”, acrescenta, salientando o facto de haver muitos produtos agrícolas à venda na Europa ou exportados para outros continentes que “apenas referem que o produto tem origem na UE, sem referir um país específico”.

^^
Choice quote.

Alanae

Does this deal also covers import tax for consumers importing media?
Would be so happy if that were the case.
Video Games are already Tax-Free, that's why for example Sony in EU never advertised the PS3 linux feature and eventually removed it.
Currently I still get taxed whenever I import games

Usobuko

Banned
If globalization doesn't benefit you, it's the people at the top ( most likely your own kind ) who failed you. They have their cake while you get bread crumbs.

Go after them instead of punching down to minorities.

KooopaKid

Banned
You asking "who decided", which kind of betrays your bias. Could have asked about the agreement itself. Which is the truly important part.
If this deal is beneficial to farmers, beneficial for peoples in general, then who cares about the how and why?
Also, quotation marks around representatives? Come on.

Of course I have a negative bias regarding certain aspects of the inner workings of the EU.
I think the quotation marks are appropriate. I don't share your optimism.
Anyway, no need to scream just yet, I need more info on the deal first.

Theonik

They probably are.

Hey, that's on Greece/Spain for failing to build strong national brands. It's annoying too.

Dude! I have a bottle of that in my kitchen right now! From LIDL. It's great but so weird. I don't really know what to use it for. But it smells amazing.

If you google Kürbiskernöl or simply Kernöl, you'll find a bunch of nice ideas, but the evergreen is obviously salad.
Great, now I'm hungry..

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Dude! I have a bottle of that in my kitchen right now! From LIDL. It's great but so weird. I don't really know what to use it for. But it smells amazing.

it's great for salad dressings. you can also use it fas a topping or desserts like ice cream or strawberries. Or just plain as a dip with a good bread and a pinch of salt. Just don't use it for anything that would involve heating it.

oti

Banned
If you google Kürbiskernöl or simply Kernöl, you'll find a bunch of nice ideas, but the evergreen is obviously salad.
Great, now I'm hungry..

Zubereitung

Arbeitszeit: ca. 5 Min. / Schwierigkeitsgrad: simpel / Kalorien p. P.: keine Angabe

Vanilleeis in ein schönes Dessertschälchen portionieren und mit beliebiger Menge Kürbiskernöl beträufeln bzw. übergießen. Mit Kürbiskernen garnieren.
Man darf sich das Kürbiskernöl nicht als klassisches Bratenöl vorstellen, vielmehr ist es ein köstlicher Sirup.

Watt.

G.ZZZ

I legit lol'd mate.

Good stuff.

It's true though.

All those "italian oil" that you can buy, even here, are mostly from imported oil or mixed and are a special tier of garbage since they buy the cheapest oil possible to maximize gains. Carapelli and all those "real italian" shit are literal pisswater.

True italian oil is difficult to find even in Italy. And most local producers are garbage tier, especially in the south where they tend to make much stronger flavored oils that conceal all the various subtleties of its flavor.

Real Olive Oil is the pinnacle and foundation of all italian cousine and the panharmonicon of flavour.
Too bad even most italians drink garbage and think it's good, especially those who go for "local producers" who produce garbage (not even their fault, when you consider that people expect to pay 5-6 € a liter for good olive oil, what can you expect).

RocknRola

It's true though.

All those "italian oil" that you can buy, even here, are mostly from imported oil or mixed and are a special tier of garbage since they buy the cheapest oil possible to maximize gains. Carapelli and all those "real italian" shit are literal pisswater.

True italian oil is difficult to find even in Italy. And most local producers are garbage tier, especially in the south where they tend to make much stronger flavored oils that conceal all the various subtleties of its flavor.

Real Olive Oil is the pinnacle and foundation of all italian cousine and the panharmonicon of flavour.
Too bad even most italians drink garbage and think it's good, especially those who go for "local producers" who produce garbage (not even their fault, when you consider that people expect to pay 5-6 € a liter for good olive oil, what can you expect).

I've never honestly tried Italian olive oil, so I can't say much about it tbh :p Cheap, as in the cheapest stuff literally, is indeed nasty be it from where it may be though.

Have you ever tried Portuguese stuff btw? If your interested I'd recommend this brand (Gallo) because it's super easy to find (largest by far in the country, with a worldwide presence these days) and has a very good track record. It's not necessarily the best in the country, but since our overall production is low-ish I doubt the ones that are considered as such here even produce enough to export.

In particular I'd recommend either the First Crop (very fruity/spicy great to add to uncooked food) or Reserve Extra Virgin (all rounder).

Not sure about the prices abroad though, no idea if they brand it as an expensive product or not. Here they're fairly accessible in pricing.

Jasup

I bought olive oil from LIDL, it says it's a mix of oils from different countries within the EU. It's not particularly good oil, but at least it isn't lying to me.

kami_sama

Man, y'all talking about Olive Oil it's making me want to go back to Spain.
Prices here in Switzerland are outrageous. And the Oil is worse than what I can get from local producers back home.

+Aliken+

You can all argue about olive oil for all I care, but it is clear who rocks the cheese world. Just one word... Mozzarella.

KHlover

Banned
Croatian olive oil and goat cheese are better than the Greek stuff.

You can all argue about olive oil for all I care, but it is clear who rocks the cheese world. Just one word... Mozzarella.

pffft. Mozzarella is the Tofu of the cheese world, bland and boring.

Kas

Come to Albania

My girlfriends aunt makes it fresh, and it's so delicious and flavorful.

I'm going to see if I can bring some home to the states with me.

Top Bottom