• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EU and Japan to agree on trade deal next week

DemWalls

you forgot Italy.

Oh yeah, who doesn't like some Su Casu Marzu (aka Maggot Cheese, aka The Trypophobe's Dream):
404d77dbfc18bc347042b145ab0a9321_XL.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=235&v=u0j_EiinRcg

iamblades

Im for protectionism in order to protect local markeds and our farmers and Im glad we've done so far. Self preservation is very important for me and seemingly most people in my country.

We're only members of the EEA and the support for EEA is dropping, slowly, but steady according to some numbers I read a month ago.

Protectionism does not actually benefit society though, Bastiat's negative railroad parable showed how illogical protectionism was 170 years ago. Protectionism only looks at an economic interaction from the point of view of a specific producer, and ignores consumers completely, along with producers who require inputs that can be imported more cheaply than they can be sourced domestically. More importantly it destroys the value of the technical means that enable international trade(in Bastiat's case this was the railroad), making it pointless for it to have been built in the first place.

On coming to Paris for a visit, I said to myself: Here are a million human beings who would all die in a few days if supplies of all sorts did not flow into this great metropolis. It staggers the imagination to try to comprehend the vast multiplicity of objects that must pass through its gates tomorrow, if its inhabitants are to be preserved from the horrors of famine, insurrection, and pillage. And yet all are sleeping peacefully at this moment, without being disturbed for a single instant by the idea of so frightful a prospect. On the other hand, eighty departments have worked today, without co-operative planning or mutual arrangements, to keep Paris supplied. How does each succeeding day manage to bring to this gigantic market just what is necessary—neither too much nor too little? What, then, is the resourceful and secret power that governs the amazing regularity of such complicated movements, a regularity in which everyone has such implicit faith, although his prosperity and his very life depend upon it? That power is an absolute principle, the principle of free exchange. We put our faith in that inner light which Providence has placed in the hearts of all men, and to which has been entrusted the preservation and the unlimited improvement of our species, a light we term self-interest, which is so illuminating, so constant, and so penetrating, when it is left free of every hindrance. Where would you be, inhabitants of Paris, if some cabinet minister decided to substitute for that power contrivances of his own invention, however superior we might suppose them to be; if he proposed to subject this prodigious mechanism to his supreme direction, to take control of all of it into his own hands, to determine by whom, where, how, and under what conditions everything should be produced, transported, exchanged, and consumed? Although there may be much suffering within your walls, although misery, despair, and perhaps starvation, cause more tears to flow than your warmhearted charity can wipe away, it is probable, I dare say it is certain, that the arbitrary intervention of the government would infinitely multiply this suffering and spread among all of you the ills that now affect only a small number of your fellow citizens.

If we all have faith in this principle where our domestic transactions are concerned, why should we not have faith in the same principle when it affects our international transactions, which are certainly less numerous, less delicate, and less complicated? And if there is no need for the local government of Paris to regulate our industries, to balance our opportunities, our profits, and our losses, to concern itself with the draining off of our currency, or to equalize the conditions of production in our domestic commerce, why should it be necessary for the customhouse to depart from its fiscal duties and to undertake to exercise a protective function over our foreign commerce?

As for the free trade agreement between the EU and Japan, it's a good thing for the people living in those countries, but I don't expect it to fundamentally transform those economies. The possibilities for consumption led growth in most of Europe and Japan are gone(in Japan they've been gone for nearly 30 years), so this is mainly about small efficiency increases.

Chinner

Banned
But you see, Japan will continue to produce cars in the UK because we have an abundance of cake which we can both have and eat.

Magni

I'm not even a big cheese fan or anyhthing, but just reading that pisses me off. The cheese selection must be nonexistant.

I find good cheese in Tokyo. It's just absurdly expensive. Whenever family visits from France, I make sure their suitcases are full of delicious cheese.

Theonik

Free customs shipping on anime. Please EU, save me for the time my country is still part of your wonderful self ;_;
By the time it gets ratified we'll be gone. But I still have my supply lines in the continent.

Warum?

This is the real reason for Brexit
You laugh but I heard weebrexiteers say this is going to lead to am fta with Japan.

Those blu-rays still gonna be expensive, tariffs or no
Eh I think they are cheap anyway but paying like £200 in import fees a month is taking the piss.

Who needs anime when we have Hollywood making those stories.
Delet ur account.

KHlover

Banned
Give me cheaper cheese. Yes, please.
So much cheese in Japan is just "cheese," and not any listed type. Maybe there's the qualifier "meltable," but that tells you nothing about the taste.
Oh jeez, you're missing out. You could literally fill out stores just with different kinds of cheese from single countries *-*

Oriel

I could almost hear the head of the Irish Farmers Association rubbing his hands with delight on radio this morning on the news of this trade deal. Irish dairy produce for Manga and anime in local supermarkets.....
hopefully.

RocknRola

Seems like Europeans are almost as attached to cheese as Japanese are to rice

Cheese is love, Cheese is life.

Being Portuguese there are 3 things in my daily diet that I couldn't possible imagine living without: Cod, cheese and presunto. *

Depending on the Portuguese in question one of those can be replaced with sardines, for sure :p

Jisgsaw

Is the food market in Japan that big to offset the loss of protection for tve automotive industry via the 10% tarriffs that will be taken down?

It's gonna be a crazy day when I walk into an average supermarket in japan and find more than 1 cheese. It could open up a whole new branch of dedicated cheese shops as well.

ss1

Neo Member
Is the food market in Japan that big to offset the loss of protection for tve automotive industry via the 10% tarriffs that will be taken down?

Considering that Honda, Nissan, and Toyota are already based in the UK already and can export their cars tariff free (for now) into the EU I don’t think it will make any difference to be honest.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
http://www.politico.eu/article/trump-boosts-free-trade-outside-the-us/
”The Japanese were worried about making far-reaching concessions [that the EU wants on dairy or meat imports] because of the implications this could have on U.S. demands," said Petr Ježek, the chair of the European Parliament's delegation for relations with Japan. Slashing agriculture tariffs for both Brussels and Washington would be politically toxic in Japan, because the country's elderly and influential farmers fear they will be wiped out by a tide of international competition.

Trump's retreat on trade almost miraculously solved that impasse, Ježek said. ”Now that it has become obvious that TPP — or any alternative trade deal with Washington — is put on the back burner for quite some time, it seems no longer a serious problem to move forward with Europe," he said.

In fact, one European diplomat said Japan was willing to offer Europe the same sort of agricultural access it had originally envisaged giving to the U.S. in TPP.

”The EU just walked in where the U.S. left," he said.
I can't really say I have a strong opinion on this deal and I certainly didn't like some of the things I saw regarding the TPP, but I know enough of the Japanese agrifood market to have a sensible chuckle at the situation. Entering the japanese food market is immensely difficult and Europe has a huge agrifood industry that won't put out a fight against this deal like some farmers did with the TTIP.

I'm starting to think that America shat the bed there.

In another boon to Europe's farmers, the agreement will also protect 205 European geographical indications for iconic food names of gourmet products. Malmström was very bullish on the effect the deal will have on the European food sector.

”We hope that we could triple our agriculture exports," she said. ”EU exports to Japan overall could, according to our calculations, be boosted by one-third."

Overall, the Commission predicts that EU exports of processed food could rise by up to 180 percent and export of chemicals could surge by more than 20 percent.
It really sounds like a massive boon for European farmers, particularly those in the Med region.

Also, this is cute:

RocknRola

Elected representatives picked by the general population and/or the democratic governments of each member state, putting out documents that will be reviewed and ratified by their respective governments.

EU: How does it work?

After all this time I would have assumed the general concept would be relatively well known...Guess not.

RocknRola

how's the market for olive oil in Japan?

No idea. I know that some Portuguese olive oil makers managed to get into the Chinese market after some tries and proper market studies, however this it not an Apples to Apples situation.

Let's see how this goes, the various companies will also likely need some time to adjust to a "new" market.

http://www.politico.eu/article/trump-boosts-free-trade-outside-the-us/

I can't really say I have a strong opinion on this deal and I certainly didn't like some of the things I saw regarding the TPP, but I know enough of the Japanese agrifood market to have a sensible chuckle at the situation. Entering the japanese food market is immensely difficult and Europe has a huge agrifood industry that won't put out a fight against this deal like some farmers did with the TTIP.

I'm starting to think that America shat the bed there.

So literally "Thanks Trump!"

It really sounds like a massive boon for European farmers, particularly those in the Med region.

Also, this is cute:

Hey it's that thing in P5

KooopaKid

Banned
Elected representatives picked by the general population and/or the democratic governments of each member state, putting out documents that will be reviewed and ratified by their respective governments.

No, who got the idea in the first place? Same for TTIP, particularly the ISDS proposal. "Elected representatives" doesn't mean shit.
Ok regarding the reviewing and ratifying parts.

No, who got the idea in the first place? Same for TTIP, particularly the ISDS proposal. "Elected representatives" doesn't mean shit.
Ok regarding the reviewing and ratifying parts.

Do you have an actual problem with this deal, or are you just against "the establishment" in some weird way?

Top Bottom