• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Euro 2004

Status
Not open for further replies.

COCKLES

being watched
Larsson is on fire. Pity Tony Blair didn't presuade Shearer to come out of retirement instead of that plank Heskey.

Hooker

Mike Works said:
That's kind of impossible. There's no way a team can be bested on both offensive scoring chances and goalkeeping in a scoreless draw.
Welcome to football.

That's the beauty of it :)

Hooker

Man, I'm looking forward to playing either Sweden or Denmark after the poule :)

At least they know how to play attacking football :D

Fifty

Hooker said:
Man, I'm looking forward to playing either Sweden or Denmark after the poule :)

At least they know how to play attacking football :D

Which team are you cheering for in the tournament? :p

Heh, I actually forgot you were for the Netherlands. I got confused. What with Denmark, Netherlands (Holland), and Switzerland all playing in the tournament. Too many nordic countries :D

Hooker

That was some great play by the Swedes, congratulations.

The Bulgarians didn't deserve such a beating though :/

Solid

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEDEEEEEEEEEEEENNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

FY FAN VAD VI ÄGER!!! EM GULD EM GULD EM GULD!!!

What a game! 5-0!!! Hahaha, we own! :D

henke44.jpg

Fifty

Socreges said:
5-0

Holy shit

I love British announcers:

"They're really now.. dripping salt in.. gapping.. Bulgarian wounds."

I'm not sure who he's working for, but TSN (what we're watching in Canada) has Martin Tyler, and he's by far the best in the business. When they showed a sub and the Swedish coach looking over some papers, his line about them looking over a street map of lisbon(searching for a good drinking spot to celebrate the victory) was just golden. :D

cja

COCKLES said:
I'm surprised how well matched all the teams have been so far. No-one has been bested or humilated by the other team.
You have the commentators curse cocks.

Feel sorry for Bulgaria, just a naive defense let them down when they looked good going forward, put in some very nice crosses and just didn't have enough men in the box. Italy Sweden is going to be tasty now :D

Hooker

Deepthroat said:
Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored... I told you he was good :D
It was a lousy penalty though haha. But he played well, he'll gather a lot of attention if he continues to play this good. Making Ajax a LOT of money :)

Fifty

Socreges said:
I think it's a feed from England. He does rock, though, yes.

Yeah, based on the commentators we're getting, it seems to be a Sky Sports audio feed. I know TSN has the world feed for the video, but I'm curious as to who is putting together the replays (they're very effective, and prompt).

Falch

Incredible play by Sweden. Larsson is a genius (I'm proud he once played for Feyenoord :D). And the strange thing is, Bulgaria didn't play that bad. Next match is Sweden - Italy. Italy is going to get their ass handed to them.

Fifty said:
I'm not sure who he's working for, but TSN (what we're watching in Canada) has Martin Tyler, and he's by far the best in the business. When they showed a sub and the Swedish coach looking over some papers, his line about them looking over a street map of lisbon(searching for a good drinking spot to celebrate the victory) was just golden.

hehe, I remember that moment, I commented that they were probably picking out some nice car. :)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Yeah, it was a bit unfair when you consider the first hour or so. But it's good to see Sweden score goals, because that's what really matters. Having a lot of chances won't automatically give you goals (see Denmark-Italy for example).

Also, I think Sweden's play really picked up during the end of the 1st half, not just offense but defense as well. And talk about a boost of self-confidence! :p

I liked that they weren't playing on defense trying to preserve their 1-0 lead. They actually tried to score more goals. Zlatan and Wilhelmsson among others were attacking like crazy at times.

Anyway, I hope they'll carry over this good spirit to the game against Italy. Will be interesting, for sure. :)

COCKLES

being watched
cja said:
You have the commentators curse cocks.

Feel sorry for Bulgaria, just a naive defense let them down when they looked good going forward, put in some very nice crosses and just didn't have enough men in the box. Italy Sweden is going to be tasty now :D

Lol.

Yeah Sweden were impressive in 2nd half. They've put notice out to other teams with that performance. Nice to see my Arsenal boy Freddie get a goal. Sweden are my non-England favourites of the tournament who I'll be supporting.

Solid

COCKLES said:
Lol.

Yeah Sweden were impressive in 2nd half. They've put notice out to other teams with that performance. Nice to see my Arsenal boy Freddie get a goal. Sweden are my non-England favourites of the tournament who I'll be supporting.
I want to post a COCKLES-liked 'welcome to the family' picture but I don't have one :( Anyway, welcome. Or välkommen as you say in swedish ;)

This was a great match. I'm so proud right now.

ps2banana.gif
clap.gif
ps2banana.gif

henke22.jpg

Today was the best day of the championship by far. The Danes played the best football we've seen, their passing and movement was first class and caused the Italians all sorts of problems. Although in typical Italian fashion they were excellent at the back, defending really is an art form over there and once again bodies were put on the line for the sake of the team.

I didn't think it was a tough group earlier but it'll be very close. I can definitely see Sweeden causing Italy some problems, the Sweedes are defensively sound so it should be a very tough encounter. It wouldn't surprise me to see Denmark and Sweeden go through.

Thats exactly what i was thinking after seeing Denmark and Sweden today. Italy won't make it in this group, no chance in hell, 3rd in the group isn't even realistic.

Bulgaria didn't play a bad game at all, they were just unlucky.

Socreges

Banned
norinrad21 said:
Thats exactly what i was thinking after seeing Denmark and Sweden today. Italy won't make it in this group, no chance in hell, 3rd in the group isn't even realistic.
Haha, that so?

B E N K E

A few thing that I like (apart for the score). Sweden appeared hungry and fit for 90 minutes. Concentrated all the way. Henrik Larsson was quick to emphasize that this was just the first game when interviewed straight after the game. Italy will have to move up 3-4 gears to win on friday. Still, they can't play as lousy as they did today for another 90 minutes.

Fredrik Ljungberg's best match in the national team for many, many years. That's really important. With him and Wilhelmsson both in form we have strong offensive threats down both flanks. Sorry, Lucic but I'm almost a little happy you're injured.

Fifty

Italy should be able to easily handle Bulgaria. But I'm not going to confidently say they'll get above 3rd place.

Solid

Denmark - Sweden will be very interesting too. There will be a lot of emotions since it's a derby. I wouldn't be surprised if Zlatan started wresling with a danish defender :)

Volt

Really glad to see Sweden come through on the high expectations !
The tournament has become really interesting now, because the best playing team of the moment is an underdog team. If Spain, Italy, England, France and co play like they did in their first game, there's no way of stopping these Swedes !
Good to see Larsson fighting back, I didn't think he still had it in him. I bet the Fergusons, Capello's and Abrahmovitches are already knocking on Ibrahimovic's and Larsson's doors.

Ljunberg surprised me as well : much better than I remember him being the last couple of seasons. And Nilsson (I think ?) was great too. Too bad Wilhelmsson kinda disappeared after being injured and temporarily leaving the field :(

Chrono

Banned
I skimmed half of this thread and i still don't know where I can watch the matches live in the U.S. -- can anyone help?

Fifty said:
I'm not sure who he's working for, but TSN (what we're watching in Canada) has Martin Tyler, and he's by far the best in the business. When they showed a sub and the Swedish coach looking over some papers, his line about them looking over a street map of lisbon(searching for a good drinking spot to celebrate the victory) was just golden. :D

Cool didn't know Martin Tyler worked for other companies when Sky arent showing the matches

Fifty

Chrono said:
I skimmed half of this thread and i still don't know where I can watch the matches live in the U.S. -- can anyone help?

The best thing to do is to check with your local cable company. Unless you have a dish the odds are very very slim, because I think most, if not all games are PPV.

yonoid

Banned
italy is out of the cup

pass denmark and sweden

pass greece and spain

pass france and croatia

pass chez rep and holland

chez versus france final

chez win

Denmark impresses once again. You don't hear much about any of their players, but when the time comes to put it together for a big tournament they always show loads of quality and class. I've always loved watching them since Euro '92.

Sweden also looked good. They organize extremely well starting on their defense and their trifecta of Freddy, Henrik and Zlatan can kill any team. I also liked #21. Very good player, extremely agile and fast.

As for Italy, what can you say? Trapattoni is a complete moron and the team still looks lifeless. for the most part. I was severly disappointed with Totti's chllenge on Laursen. He is one of my fav players, but that was beyond wrong. He should have gotten a red card and get a two game suspension at the least.

Oh yeah, Sorensen and Buffon put on quite a show.

Mr Gump

Banned
I watched the italian game with a crowd of about 200 people. 200 dissapointed people.

Denmark played incredibly well. The keeper was outstanding to say the very least.

Volt

BatiGOOOOOOL said:
I also liked #21. Very good player, extremely agile and fast.

That's Christian Wilhelmsson, a rising star of the Swedish team and already quite a famous player in Belgium where he plays for national champion RSC Anderlecht. Rumors have it that Ajax is looking to buy him, but they probably won't be able to keep Ibrahimovic there, so the main reason for Christian to consider it, is probably gone. He was good yesterday, but not great, I'm sure he can do far better.

I also really liked both the Petrov's of Bulgaria. Especially the one on the left wing, boy was he fast ! Did some really great things there, too bad Bulgaria couldn't score a deserved goal. But the Swedes were kicking ass, and they could go far..

Falch

Seedorf will probably not be fit enough, but nothing is set in stone yet.

There have been some rumblings today that Advocaat will once again change the formation. All very confusing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom